OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 402391 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3690 on: July 07, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »

Team game it may be, but the NBA still celebrates individual players more than it does a team.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3691 on: July 07, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »

Team game it may be, but the NBA still celebrates individual players more than it does a team.
Alas, that may be true.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3692 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

That's a good point.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3693 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

Which is one of the reasons I don't watch it that much.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3694 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »

How many headlines have I seen in the past week that said something along the lines of "Ray Allen to join Lebron James and the Miami Heat".

It's not just the NBA, but it's also the media that glorifies it and of course overhypes so many new players that get in the league as "the next Jordan".

I know Stern takes alot of flack for stopping trades but if he didn't it would probably be the Los Angeles Lakers in the Finals every single year. I'm glad there are things such as pay caps on teams, but look at how many atheletes are trying to achieve a championship by getting severly underpayed for it.

Ray Allen took a big financial cut to play on the Heat now, but you see how much more condensed a few teams are with talent than before. Smaller market teams just don't have a chance to compete, then again you also need to add stupid GM and Owners into the equation as well on securing talent.

It's easy to see why people critiscze the Heat championship win because 2 All-Star players join a team and got to the Finals in just one year of playing together. So yes right now it's not exactly fairly balanced, but perhaps that is the nature of all sports. Look at La Liga in Spain, really only two teams matter FC Barcelona and Real Madrid.

I just hope the NBA doesn't "stay the course" in regards to that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:57:54 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3695 on: July 07, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

It doesn't matter.

Ray Allen is now on the Miami Heat.

Ahh, Ok.  I'll dial down my respect for him a bit then.  Can't stand the ring chasers.  
He would have had less play time in Boston and a smaller role. Plus he is playing for less money in Miami.

Screw Boston forever

EDIT: I will laugh if they get Camby too.

Sorry to you Boston boardies, but I also agree with Achronos sentiments regarding the Celtics, who I find to be the absolutely ugliest and most mean-spirit team of players and also fans of any team in ANY sport, period.  If you ask me, Ray Allen left Boston for the same reason the entire championship Mavs left Dallas right away and why everyone is bolting from New Orleans, because those are teams with ugly management and business practices.  Ray Allen had the chemistry with his team and plenty of money, clearly he didn't like his bosses and the climate of his workplace.  This is why everyone left the Hornets, because that team has no owners, and it is a messed up place to work.  That is why everyone left the Mavericks, because nobody can stand Mark Cuban.  Its even why Derrick Fisher and Lamar Odom adamantly left the Lakers.  If your bosses suck, you will look for a new job, and if your job is professional basketball, that means joining a new team.  In all honesty, I would say that Ray Allen is less ring chasing and more so just going for a team full of management and players who clearly appreciated him as a person by their enthusiasm.  People only turn down 3 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR for darn good reasons Wink

I was even more surprised to see Steve Nash go to the Lakers.  Two of the most bitter rivalries of the past 15 years has been the Lakers-Suns and the Heat/Lebron James - Celtics.  Lebron has played 25 post season games against the Celtics, winning 15, and Kobe Bryant has played 16 post-season games against Steve Nash's Suns winning only 7 (the LA rivalry with Phoenix goes back farther than even Charles Barkley!!), so it is a big surprise, the NBA equivalent of the lions laying with the lambs!

I think Lakers got the better of the deals, but in 2 years both Heat and Lakers are going to be feeling such long term commitments with ageing stars, very few players go out on top with numbers like Grant Hill and Michael Jordan.  What if Grant also comes to LA! After all, Suns are looking fine with the addition of Dragic and Eric Gordon..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:34:39 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3696 on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »

Well Boston is just a despicable place for sports, period. Their fans are absolutley vile and disgusting, and of course that Bruins incident only supports my opinion.

We also need to remember that Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo had a falling out which was another reason to move.

But I don't see why people in Boston are going to claim he's a traitor when he had more time on a team that doesn't exist anymore. (RIP my Sonics)

The Steve Nash thing is pretty insane. What would make this off season even more memorable and outlandish is if Howard moved to LA as well

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3697 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »

Well Boston is just a despicable place for sports, period. Their fans are absolutley vile and disgusting, and of course that Bruins incident only supports my opinion.

We also need to remember that Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo had a falling out which was another reason to move.

But I don't see why people in Boston are going to claim he's a traitor when he had more time on a team that doesn't exist anymore. (RIP my Sonics)

The Steve Nash thing is pretty insane. What would make this off season even more memorable and outlandish is if Howard moved to LA as well

He has a brother that played football for various teams in Canada, America, and England. He also had 38 caps for the Canadian National Team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Nash_%28soccer%29

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3698 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

Those kids out in the outfield at the home run derby look like I did when I was their age... missing every fly ball coming to them. One small difference, I suppose, is that I had little leaguers hitting balls at me and they have major leaguers. But anyway...  Cool
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3699 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

What is up with all these 16 season vets signing expensive, 3 year deals?  In 2015 there is going to have to be nap time on the bench in between quarters and O2 tanks ; )

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3700 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:02 AM »

What is up with all these 16 season vets signing expensive, 3 year deals?  In 2015 there is going to have to be nap time on the bench in between quarters and O2 tanks ; )

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I'm sure that one knee doctor in Europe is loving it though.

$$$

Now if I could reason why Howard is so adamant to go to the Nets...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3701 on: July 10, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I'm sure that one knee doctor in Europe is loving it though.

$$$

Now if I could reason why Howard is so adamant to go to the Nets...

Big ego, bigger market, smaller roster so less competition for attention. Howard could never be in a legitimate Big 3, his head is big enough for four or five alone and so there just any room for anyone else  Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3702 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »

But I would think that ego would want him to win a championship I guess not. If Howard goes to the Nets, doesn't that mean the Nets are screwed with their pay cap?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3703 on: July 10, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »

But I would think that ego would want him to win a championship I guess not. If Howard goes to the Nets, doesn't that mean the Nets are screwed with their pay cap?

NBA is a business first, and only a handful of players a year get the ring, everybody else has to be concerned with their own bottom line.  In regards to the Nets' pay cap, yes, yes they are Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3704 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »

I'm less and less buying that argument that it's about their own bottom line. People like Bosh and Lebron James didn't care, and neither does Allen. It's not entirely about the money, and especially in Howard's case it certainly isn't either.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3705 on: July 10, 2012, 01:57:27 AM »

I'm less and less buying that argument that it's about their own bottom line. People like Bosh and Lebron James didn't care, and neither does Allen. It's not entirely about the money, and especially in Howard's case it certainly isn't either.

Actually, for several years Bosh and Lebron (Bosh made his money as a franchise player in Toronto and Lebron was the darling of the NBA for so many years) precisely didn't care until it got to the point in hype and publicity that the bottom line for Lebron became that his brand would begin to lose value if he didn't get a ring.  The ring perhaps was just another part of the branding, marketing, and business end of being King James Wink

I like to believe in integrity in sports, and perhaps it is both, perhaps Lebron sincerely wanted a ring AND also saw the financial benefit it would add to his career.  In regards to Allen, true, he turned down a lot more money, but he did leave a terrible working environment for team with better bosses and co-workers, which again, was perhaps more so a business decision than ring chasing.  After all, even contending teams miss a few opportunities for more rings.  The game is then much more than that, it is a business and a career just like any other.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:00:20 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3706 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:51 AM »

'A' Warm Welcome

"Zach Parise and Ryan Suter were welcomed to the State of Hockey today and were given a surprise at the press conference."

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637553&navid=DL|MIN|home

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3707 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:51 AM »

Scouts from Nottingham Forest (Football League Championship) and Djurgårdens IF (Allsvenskan) came and watched me at my football match and chit-chatted with me!

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3708 on: July 10, 2012, 02:28:28 AM »

Scouts from Nottingham Forest (Football League Championship) and Djurgårdens IF (Allsvenskan) came and watched me at my football match and chit-chatted with me!

Very interesting and hopefully good news.  The Sca... Nottingham Forest is a pretty notable club (and huge rival of the original United, SUFC).  Hope it went well!

I've forgotten.  What position do you play?  We've just sold our RB to Villa for anything from £800k plus incentives to £3mil. Might be losing one of our CBs shortly.  Are you a tad short for a central defender?  Can't tell from the Aussie Rules football.  How's your pace?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3709 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »

Very interesting and hopefully good news.  The Sca... Nottingham Forest is a pretty notable club (and huge rival of the original United, SUFC).  Hope it went well!

I've forgotten.  What position do you play?  We've just sold our RB to Villa for anything from £800k plus incentives to £3mil. Might be losing one of our CBs shortly.  Are you a tad short for a central defender?  Can't tell from the Aussie Rules football.  How's your pace?

They are a pretty notable club, and I'm very honoured they noticed me. There will probably be a trial set-up at some point in the coming weeks.

I play mostly Centre-Forward or Attacking Midfield, but I do play a lot of Defensive Mid as well as Left and Right Wingback (a full-back with more emphasis on attack).

I'm about average height 5'10.5", and I weigh about 225 lbs, but as you see in my picture it is mostly muscle and I carry it well, and use it to my advantage. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3710 on: July 10, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »

Here we go NL...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3711 on: July 13, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »

The Freeh report was released about the Penn State football scandal.  Such a shame that a prestigious university would decide that athletics profits and reputation was worth more than stopping child abuse.  What kind of grown men pride their jobs so much that the knowingly ignore a decade of sexual abuse? Who could go to their job every day with that on their conscience and continue the program? Even when the first evidence of the scandal came out last year, Joe Paterno was complicit and tried to hide it, tried to protect the football program.  What ever happened to an honest and open apology? Accepting fault and blame when blame is rightfully due? Are we so heartless and football fanatics that we sacrifice our sanity and the safety of our children in the name of friday night lights? Lord have His Mercy!

As a sports fan this is disgusting.  I have always disagreed with the corruption and politics of Division I college athletics, this only further pushes me away.  They rob athletes while generating billions of dollars, they rob a lot of schools of funding which should be prioritised for academics (only a handful of big schools' athletics are profitable, the rest cut into the general fund for their budgets), and now they are so greedy for that money machine that grown men loose all sense of their minds and support a child molester for over a decade? Two janitors at Penn State witnessed a sexual abuse incident, and were too scared of the monolithic football program to alert authorities, defending their own cowardly actions by saying, "football runs this university."

This all makes me so upset.  I pray God resolve this issue, but Americans have had enough problems with where our priorities are, now, this is just another symbol of that.  Sports has enough problems with gambling, corruption, politics, misogyny, abuse, violence, drugs, etc etc, and now child molestation? Lord have His Mercy!!

I just might have to walk away from sport for awhile.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:06:51 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3712 on: July 13, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

As a Pennsylvanian, and someone who grew up in a Penn State fan area (central PA)... I agree that it's disgusting and unbelievably frustrating.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3713 on: July 13, 2012, 03:14:13 PM »

As a Pennsylvanian, and someone who grew up in a Penn State fan area (central PA)... I agree that it's disgusting and unbelievably frustrating.

What makes me all the more upset, is that a lot of talk from Penn State is still about damage control and maintaining the football program and even making more and more excuses! If I were a student at Penn State, I wouldn't be thinking about increasing our school spirit like a pep rally, I'd be thinking about transferring away from a school that clearly has priority issues Sad

I've read comments from Penn State students trying to make the same line of excuses and dodging the reality and gravity of this issue by trying to say it is small, or only involved a small number of people.  Nonsense, this was an endemic problem where dozens of people from the lowest rung of the ladder (the janitors) to the highest rung (the president of the university, Coach Paterno, several administrators and VPs etc etc) were complicit,  That suggests the entire culture of the university was dangerously flawed.  After all, how many teenagers and children visit college campuses ever day? This a real problem, universities attract children to their campuses, and now we find out the people who work there are more concerned with their own sense of pride than with the safety of the kids in their care?

Lord have His mercy!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:14:40 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3714 on: July 13, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »

Penn State should have their football program suspended for 10 years. That would show everyone else that such things will not be tolerated.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3715 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:59 AM »

The Scum, "Rangers FC", relegated to the Scottish Football League Third Division (Fourth Tier of Scottish Football). Serves those dirty huns right.

Forgive my sins.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3716 on: July 17, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »

I've read comments from Penn State students...

That suggests the entire culture of the university was dangerously flawed.
No, it suggests that Penn State supporters are no less susceptible to cognitive dissonance than anyone else.

It's doubtful that anyone would claim that they are willing to accept a certain amount of child molestation in exchange for a good football program (or for a good school, or for a good whatever).  What you are observing is the quite natural reaction of those who had formed a strong opinion before all information was available.  There are plenty of people who spent decades revering Paterno.  As this story broke, I am quite convinced that their reaction was "well Paterno certainly wasn't involved; he couldn't have known.  He couldn't have."  As data emerged indicating that he did, the most natural human response is not an immediate "oh wow, I was wrong."  Instead, even if the person doesn't consciously realize it, they rationalize not to excuse the behavior but to interpret the data to fit their preconceived conclusion.  E.g. "Paterno's information must have been too ambiguous to take stronger action."  "Sandusky must have deceived him too; molesters are skilled deceivers."  Etc.

From an external point of view, it appears as justifying monstrous behavior for some other benefit.  But if one wishes to more fully understand, we have to at least be willing to analyze it from others' point of view.  Failing to do so means we've fallen victim to the exact same cognitive dissonance .
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3717 on: July 17, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »

The Scum, "Rangers FC", relegated to the Scottish Football League Third Division (Fourth Tier of Scottish Football). Serves those dirty huns right.

Agreed.  Just wish Celtic would follow them; and Wednesday too, for that matter.  Grin

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #3718 on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »

Agreed.  Just wish Celtic would follow them; and Wednesday too, for that matter.  Grin
I beg your pardon?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3719 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »

I look forward to the NFL season; go Patriots! Smiley
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3720 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »

I've read comments from Penn State students...

That suggests the entire culture of the university was dangerously flawed.
No, it suggests that Penn State supporters are no less susceptible to cognitive dissonance than anyone else.

"..This is as systemic a cultural problem as much as it is a football problem.."
NCAA president Mark Emmer
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8178854/penn-state-nittany-lions-students-protect-joe-paterno-statue

That was from the video on that page, the story itself is just a bit of sensationalized exaggeration to fill the sports pages, we'll have to see what kind of turn out these "vigils" make.  I don't mean to trample on the memory of a dead person, but keeping the statue up seems a bit in poor taste after the fact..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:55:05 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3721 on: July 19, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »

That was from the video on that page, the story itself is just a bit of sensationalized exaggeration to fill the sports pages, we'll have to see what kind of turn out these "vigils" make.  I don't mean to trample on the memory of a dead person, but keeping the statue up seems a bit in poor taste after the fact..
I agree completely.  I think it should come down yesterday if not sooner.  What I'm saying is that it is not surprising at all that many at Penn State will continue to vehemently disagree, against all rationality.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3722 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »

I agree completely.  I think it should come down yesterday if not sooner.  What I'm saying is that it is not surprising at all that many at Penn State will continue to vehemently disagree, against all rationality.
It's sadly interesting to hear that the NCAA may consider enforcing the death penalty against Penn State football. (Death penalty = one year of no football at all and restricted numbers of scholarships the next few years following, a move taken only once before in NCAA history: against Southern Methodist University back in the 80's.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:21:00 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3723 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »

I agree completely.  I think it should come down yesterday if not sooner.  What I'm saying is that it is not surprising at all that many at Penn State will continue to vehemently disagree, against all rationality.
It's sadly interesting to hear that the NCAA may consider enforcing the death penalty against Penn State football. (Death penalty = one year of no football at all and restricted numbers of scholarships the next few years following, a move taken only once before in NCAA history: against Southern Methodist University back in the 80's.)

I say kill it for three years for good measure.  Athlete scholars can check out different schools, and there is no reason that Penn State should revoke the current athlete scholarships considering their endowment funds are still bursting and their coffers still full.  Football corrupted the very soul of that school, as again, we think of college as a place for adults, but literally hundreds of thousands of high school and even middle school aged students visit individual universities each year on tours and field trips.  These places need to be safe, and if several levels of administration felt football profits and prestige were more important than risking children's safety for OVER A DECADE, then football has too go. If I went to that University, I'd personally be ashamed.  I was angry enough at all the political corruption and financial blundering at the CSU university system I attended, but what happened at Penn State is unconscionable.  Other universities sports programs are already coming clean to similar situations.. this would be a good example by the NCAA.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:33:15 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3724 on: July 19, 2012, 01:36:30 AM »

Agreed.  Just wish Celtic would follow them; and Wednesday too, for that matter.  Grin
I beg your pardon?

I threw Sheffield Wednesday in for good matter, since I'm wishing.  3rd Division of Scottish football would dispel them of some of their delusions of MASSIVITY.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:36:48 AM by Cognomen » Logged

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3725 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:04 AM »

...several levels of administration felt football profits and prestige were more important than risking children's safety for OVER A DECADE, then football has too go. [/b] If I went to that University, I'd personally be ashamed.  I was angry enough at all the political corruption and financial blundering at the CSU university system I attended, but what happened at Penn State is unconscionable.  Other universities sports programs are already coming clean to similar situations.. this would be a good example by the NCAA.

Agreed.  Disgusting. I would feel bad for the businesses around there, but it seems that Happy Valley has got some kind of an illness.  Kill it, disinfect the place and the cult members and let them start fresh after awhile.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3726 on: July 19, 2012, 02:48:31 AM »

Celtic are the greastest Scottish football club!!!

And Wednesday are English, so you want them relegated to what? Isthmian League? lol

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #3727 on: July 19, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »

In other news, Dimi Berbatov played as an AMF last night and was marvelous. I hope he stays at United Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3728 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:46 AM »

Habte, and this will undoutedly be hypocritical of me to say, but so much of sports is a false religion complete with prostrations to atheletes.

We focus so much of our time glorifying people who play a game to the point of it being repulsive.

Too many of these universities bankrupt the fund for proper education to be taught and instead funnel those funds into the atheletics. Sports needs to be removed from our education institions immediately. How many times my math department in school had to run a bake sale to fundraise for books and yet the football team could get new lockers on the school's dime. It's truly disgusting and vile. But it shows you how much value Americans place on sports.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3729 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:56 AM »

So, like the tallest midget?  Grin

And Wednesday are English, so you want them relegated to what? Isthmian League? lol

Works for me!

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3730 on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:03 AM »

Habte, and this will undoutedly be hypocritical of me to say, but so much of sports is a false religion complete with prostrations to atheletes.

We focus so much of our time glorifying people who play a game to the point of it being repulsive.

Too many of these universities bankrupt the fund for proper education to be taught and instead funnel those funds into the atheletics. Sports needs to be removed from our education institions immediately. How many times my math department in school had to run a bake sale to fundraise for books and yet the football team could get new lockers on the school's dime. It's truly disgusting and vile. But it shows you how much value Americans place on sports.

Completely and emphatically agree, Achronos (the hypocritical part as well).  The only distinction is that it certainly isn't limited to Americans.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3731 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

So, like the tallest midget?  Grin

Touche!

Forgive my sins.
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3732 on: July 20, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »

Pretty soon I'll sign up for fantasy football.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3733 on: July 20, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »

Pretty soon I'll sign up for fantasy football.

Yeah, only like another 5 or 6 weeks or so probably until the draft in my cousin's league. Can I repeat as champion? We shall see!  Cool
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3734 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »

I think Major League Soccer should put a franchise in New Orleans, they could play in Tulane's new stadium. There is enough support for it to work, and visiting fans would love to go.

Forgive my sins.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: