OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 09:19:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 409218 times) Average Rating: 5
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3645 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »

So next week is the MLB All-Star Game. I think the American League will win.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3646 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8111377/2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-scenes
http://espn.go.com/nba/?topId=8111881
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8111878

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8111377/2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-scenes
Lebron James is such a force of basketball, that folks are STILL interested in the Cleveland Cavs for headline news! How is Cleveland the star of the draft? Who cares exactly? Why such saturation coverage with several articles discussing the merits or lack there of of Cleveland's draft selections? Oh right, that was the team that Lebron dissed for his championship Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Why don't you give us the whole context, Habte? It seems that every team had articles discussing only their activity on Draft Day.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3647 on: July 04, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

http://espn.go.com/nba/?topId=8111881
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8111878

Lebron James is such a force of basketball, that folks are STILL interested in the Cleveland Cavs for headline news! How is Cleveland the star of the draft? Who cares exactly? Why such saturation coverage with several articles discussing the merits or lack there of of Cleveland's draft selections? Oh right, that was the team that Lebron dissed for his championship Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Why don't you give us the whole context, Habte? It seems that every team had articles discussing only their activity on Draft Day.

True, every blog did, but only Cleveland was given front page status and also their own sub-page which was also linked to the front page that day Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3648 on: July 04, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »

Ray Allen to the Heat, watch.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3649 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »

It's not totally impossible, given that the Celtics signed up Jason Terry.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3650 on: July 04, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

If so then the Heat would move from having a Big 2 1/2 to having a Big 2 3/4. Very impressive!  Grin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3651 on: July 04, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »

Publicity stunt like when NFL teams bluff and cry wolf about going to Los Angeles Wink

Celtics are still willing and able to pay Allen top dollar, and on a longer contract.  Anyway, I am sure that in his heart Ray feels much like Steve Nash, who said that while he was also fielding offers from the Lakers, his long-time career rivarly with Los Angeles makes it too hard on his heart to realistically suit up in a Lakers jersey. I feel this is what went so wrong for Odom in Dallas, and if anything, why I respect him ALL THE more for having play over 50 games as  dreaded Maverick!!  Rivarly is not small thing in the NBA, teams harbor grudges from generations past that are almost irrelevant until revived by some kind of grievance.  The Boston Celtics have had Lebron for their rival for 25 post-season games, and Ray Allen has been a big part of that.  I do of course think that Ray Allen is way to nice a guy to play for those bad-attitude, poor-sport Celtics, but he has been there for too long to part company, especially when they are also holding the best contract options in the league.  Often players chose between chemistry and money, and in this instance Boston has both for Ray, so I think its just a publicity stunt.  I am actually more surprised to see the laughing stock Nets suddenly trying to become relevant.  Much like the Clippers, they saved their money, bided their time, and have a bright future.  It is a trip to see so many bottom-of-the-barrel teams resurging!  The Knicks? The Bulls? The Nets? The Clippers? The Grizzlies? Four or five years ago these teams were embarrassingly mediocre, and now? They have money, they have talent, they have attention, and they have potential.  Next season will be interesting to say the least Wink

Crybaby Howard should be sent to the Bobcats for being such a primadonna!  Who would thought that at 38 Steve Nash would still be one of the most coveted players in the league! Welcome back to Los Angeles Lamar, we missed you!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3652 on: July 04, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »

If Allen wants to win another championship, it's going to be with the Heat or the Bulls.

I know for a fact Lebron James loves Ray Allen and is dying to have him on the team. In fact he posted a picture on his Facebook with Allen in a Heat jersey lol. Because of the interest level James has, I think the Heat are going to do whatever they can to get Allen to sign.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3653 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »

If Allen wants to win another championship, it's going to be with the Heat or the Bulls.

I know for a fact Lebron James loves Ray Allen and is dying to have him on the team. In fact he posted a picture on his Facebook with Allen in a Heat jersey lol. Because of the interest level James has, I think the Heat are going to do whatever they can to get Allen to sign. (accept offer him the amount of money he deserves)

Yes,  both Lebron and Wade have personally invited and recruited (even pandered) Ray, this is true, but sports is often uglier than the personalities of the individuals who play, and Ray is a big part of Boston. Again, players usually pick between money or chemistry, and in this regard, Ray has both in Boston, so I don't see him leaving in the slightest. He is not exactly chasing his first dance with the Finals, so he is not as desperate as other guys out there. I already begrudgingly accepted Perk to my Thunder, lets not pass around any more of these bad-news Celtics around the league like a contagion, even if Ray Allen may be the only guy in Boston with a good attitude.  If anything then, Celtics  need him all the more, like the Tinman needed a heart Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:27:50 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3654 on: July 04, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

Parise and Suter are both going to the Wild  Shocked

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3655 on: July 04, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »

I know for a fact Lebron James loves Ray Allen and is dying to have him on the team. In fact he posted a picture on his Facebook with Allen in a Heat jersey lol. Because of the interest level James has, I think the Heat are going to do whatever they can to get Allen to sign. (accept offer him the amount of money he deserves)

Yes,  both Lebron and Wade have personally invited and recruited (even pandered) Ray, this is true, but sports is often uglier than the personalities of the individuals who play, and Ray is a big part of Boston. Again, players usually pick between money or chemistry, and in this regard, Ray has both in Boston, so I don't see him leaving in the slightest. He is not exactly chasing his first dance with the Finals, so he is not as desperate as other guys out there. I already begrudgingly accepted Perk to my Thunder, lets not pass around any more of these bad-news Celtics around the league like a contagion, even if Ray Allen may be the only guy in Boston with a good attitude.  If anything then, Celtics  need him all the more, like the Tinman needed a heart Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Steve Nash.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3656 on: July 04, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »

I was really betting on the Penguins getting both, due to the recent Crosby signing and the cap room left over. I'm sure Parise had PGH in mind but thought about his family first.

Crazy contracts though for 13 years. I'm sure that will be done away with the new CBA

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3657 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »

Steve Nash headed to Lakers

Oh snap...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3658 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »

I was really betting on the Penguins getting both, due to the recent Crosby signing and the cap room left over. I'm sure Parise had PGH in mind but thought about his family first.

Crazy contracts though for 13 years. I'm sure that will be done away with the new CBA

Family, family, family. Whatever happened to greed, lust for power, and grasping after glory!?  Grin

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #3659 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

That is indeed intriguing news.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3660 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

Steve Nash.

Now this is insane! Steve said it would be too awkward to wear an LA jersey, and Suns said it would be to hard to send him to an ancient division rival, and yes, Nash came to Lakers!  I still really and truly don't believe it, it is just too weird to think of!! Steve Nash is one of my favorites, in fact, I have always enjoyed  how he has been that little dagger to Kobe's ego (I am from LA, but I have a love-hate relationship with lakers) and now...

In that regard then, I guess you are right, if Nash could come to LA and Odom is back on the Clippers, then surely Ray Allen could go to the Heat, though Clips just offered him the most money and a coveted starting role along side CP3 Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3661 on: July 05, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

Clips just cancelled their visit with Allen after getting into contracts with Crawford and Billups.

Bring the Heat.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3662 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

Clips just cancelled their visit with Allen after getting into contracts with Crawford and Billups.

Bring the Heat.

I think Heat should pass.  Signing Ray Allen for three years is the EXACT kind of short-sighted, bonehead moves typical of the Pat Riley system, that is, signing ageing vets who are inching past their prime for deals that are too long and too expensive.  One year deal, perfect! Three years? Insanely risky!!

This is how we have the Mike Miller/James Jones/Udonis Haslem (ok I really really like Haslem but he has been slumping a bit due to injuries) situations in the first place, ageing role players who have had their moments, but overall, require sheer miracles (like Mike Miller's record setting performance in the Finals and Shane Battier's unbelievable 70% shooting) to make things happen.  Signing Allen in this regard, since he is injury prone and elderly in NBA terms, is actually a worse risk than any previously similar deals with vets for the Heat.  The same is true about Steve Nash with the Lakers.

I say let Boston, LA, Spurs, and Mavs continue to be the grey beard elder statesmen of the NBA, and keep the Heat young, we're old enough as it is Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3663 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:20 AM »

Lin to Rockets, Kidd to Knicks...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3664 on: July 06, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »

Ray Allen needs to change his name to Jesus Shuttlesworth when he goes to Miami.

And Dirk will show up at camp weighing 350lbs.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3665 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

Lin is gone?  Angry Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3666 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »

It's looking that way, though it's not a done deal yet...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3667 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »

Best BBall poster evar

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3668 on: July 06, 2012, 11:55:40 PM »

Hey, Habte, guess what

/smug

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3669 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

I think Heat should pass.  Signing Ray Allen for three years is the EXACT kind of short-sighted, bonehead moves typical of the Pat Riley system, that is, signing ageing vets who are inching past their prime for deals that are too long and too expensive.  One year deal, perfect! Three years? Insanely risky!!

I haven't really followed basketball for some time now, but any ideas as to why the Hawks wouldn't go in for Allen?  Tons of cap space after ditching JJ and Marvin Williams, but they don't have a strong frontcourt and very little veteran leadership (JJ was horrible in that regard). 

Is it just because Allen doesn't think they would be immediately competitive, Atlanta is holding out for Howard or Chris Paul?  Seems it would be a good fit, but what do I know?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3670 on: July 07, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »

It doesn't matter.

Ray Allen is now on the Miami Heat.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3671 on: July 07, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »

Lin is gone?  Angry Cry

I will with hold from race jokes.

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3672 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »

It doesn't matter.

Ahh, Ok.  I'll dial down my respect for him a bit then.  Can't stand the ring chasers. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3673 on: July 07, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »

It doesn't matter.

Ahh, Ok.  I'll dial down my respect for him a bit then.  Can't stand the ring chasers.  
He would have had less play time in Boston and a smaller role. Plus he is playing for less money in Miami.

Screw Boston forever

EDIT: I will laugh if they get Camby too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:16:14 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3674 on: July 07, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »

He would have had less play time in Boston and a smaller role.

Since my opinion is so important, the above seems like a good reason to leave. 

The playing for less money doesn't really do it for me, if they're doing it to chase trophies (which I can only assume he is).  Playing for less money on a team/in a city that supports you, even with no chance of a champeenship, is where I really dig that.

To apply a little IR theory to sports, I guess I prefer power-balancers to band-wagoners.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3675 on: July 07, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »

So you're saying you were upset at Lebron's decision to move then. Unless you said that earlier, I think.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3676 on: July 07, 2012, 12:55:50 AM »

Lin is gone?  Angry Cry

I will with hold from race jokes.
Yeah, Lin would beat you in a race to the basket.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3677 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:21 AM »

So you're saying you were upset at Lebron's decision to move then. Unless you said that earlier, I think.

I wasn't overly familiar with his situation in the Land of Cleve, but I thought it was kind of admitting failure, and the way he did it was pretty lame.

Dude is clearly super talented, but I could win a championship with that Heat team. Had he won a championship with Cleveland, that would've been a truly remarkable event.  Now? Meh, I'm not impressed.

Again, if Cleveland mistreated him or what not, then I don't blame him, but I would've been far more impressed by him had he toiled away with the Cavaliers for his entire career, never winning a trophy but keeping them an excellent team.  I doubt he cares about what I think though.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3678 on: July 07, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »

I wasn't overly familiar with his situation in the Land of Cleve, but I thought it was kind of admitting failure, and the way he did it was pretty lame.

Dude is clearly super talented, but I could win a championship with that Heat team. Had he won a championship with Cleveland, that would've been a truly remarkable event.  Now? Meh, I'm not impressed.

Again, if Cleveland mistreated him or what not, then I don't blame him, but I would've been far more impressed by him had he toiled away with the Cavaliers for his entire career, never winning a trophy but keeping them an excellent team.  I doubt he cares about what I think though.

He gave Cleveland plenty of time including signing a contract extension of 3 years to stay in Cleveland, which instead he could have went to any other team. Blame the ownership and GMs that did not surround him with talent to compete. He got to the Finals carrying the team on his back in Cleve.

They didn't deserve him as a player.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3679 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »

He gave Cleveland plenty of time including signing a contract extension of 3 years to stay in Cleveland, which instead he could have went to any other team. Blame the ownership and GMs that did not surround him with talent to compete. He got to the Finals carrying the team on his back in Cleve.

I don't doubt most of that, and making it to the Finals is a real accomplishment, but they didn't deserve him? Didn't they pay him hundreds of millions of dollars and shower him with adoration? Seems he had it pretty good.  Is winning a championship the only thing that is important?

I don't think his championship is all that impressive. 

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3680 on: July 07, 2012, 01:23:47 AM »

Dude is clearly super talented, but I could win a championship with that Heat team.
No, you couldn't. The reason the Heat are such a good team right now is that they have LeBron playing for them. I don't think they win an NBA title without him.

Had he won a championship with Cleveland, that would've been a truly remarkable event.
That would never have happened. Just in case you've forgotten, let me remind you that basketball is a team sport. Teams win championships, not individuals.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:24:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3681 on: July 07, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »

I don't doubt most of that, and making it to the Finals is a real accomplishment, but they didn't deserve him? Didn't they pay him hundreds of millions of dollars and shower him with adoration? Seems he had it pretty good.  Is winning a championship the only thing that is important?

I don't think his championship is all that impressive.  
And those millions of dollars and adoration wasn't going to get you a ring. And especially the organization he was a part of. I would think being considered a champion is more important than the money or fame. You want to be remembered in history as a potential to a championship or a what could have been?

I'm sure the decision to leave Cleveland was extremely difficult, he lived there his whole life. And again it's another reason why he signed that extension he still wanted to give the city a chance to win a championship.

He was wasting talent in that city, and he knew that too.

You can claim he built a championship team, but remember they lost to the Mavs in the Finals when he got on the Heat.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:31:34 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3682 on: July 07, 2012, 01:41:37 AM »

Dude is clearly super talented, but I could win a championship with that Heat team.
No, you couldn't. The reason the Heat are such a good team right now is that they have LeBron playing for them. I don't think they win an NBA title without him.

Sigh...  

I understand that Lebron is on the Heat and that he is very good.  My point is that the team is so loaded with talent, I could ride pine and get a championship without hurting their chances.  That doesn't impress me.  Winning one, or even continuing to try with Cleveland would.

Had he won a championship with Cleveland, that would've been a truly remarkable event.
That would never have happened. Just in case you've forgotten, let me remind you that basketball is a team sport. Teams win championships, not individuals.

Never have happened?  I thought they made it to the finals and became one of the best teams in the East?

Oh, it's a team sport now.  You just wrote this: "The reason the Heat are such a good team right now is that they have LeBron playing for them."  Maybe you need to be reminded of your little "team sport" quip.

All I'm saying is that I'm not impressed that they won.  Nor am I impressed when the Yankees, or Man United, or Chelsea, or any other team that brings together a bunch of stars (many are mercenaries, some for money, others for championships and the odd quieting of criticism that comes with it) together with the expressed goal of collecting trophies.  Maybe the shiny metal doesn't impress me as much as it does you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:42:12 AM by Cognomen » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3683 on: July 07, 2012, 01:43:11 AM »

Oh, it's a team sport now.  You just wrote this: "The reason the Heat are such a good team right now is that they have LeBron playing for them."  Maybe you need to be reminded of your little "team sport" quip

Game. Set. Match.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3684 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:18 AM »

He was wasting talent in that city, and he knew that too.

See this is what I honestly don't get.  Why is anything short of a championship "wasting talent"? 

Did Hank Aaron waste his talents playing in Atlanta for 19 years?

I really don't blame LeBron as much as I do the sports writers/radio hacks and fans who buy into this stuff.  Sure, a championship is an accomplishment and something to pursue, but at what cost?  I don't see how this championship makes Lebron a better player than when he was dominating and carrying an otherwise mediocre team.

I'm clearly in the minority on this one, but I just don't think the rings should be the most important thing.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3685 on: July 07, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »

Sigh...  

I understand that Lebron is on the Heat and that he is very good.  My point is that the team is so loaded with talent, I could ride pine and get a championship without hurting their chances.  That doesn't impress me.  Winning one, or even continuing to try with Cleveland would.

Never have happened?  I thought they made it to the finals and became one of the best teams in the East?

Oh, it's a team sport now.  You just wrote this: "The reason the Heat are such a good team right now is that they have LeBron playing for them."  Maybe you need to be reminded of your little "team sport" quip.
I knew that quip would confuse you, but I stand by it all the same. Teams are made of individuals and go as far as the talents of those individuals who make up the team, but no one individual can carry a team to the NBA title all by himself. A championship team needs some great individual players, but it takes those individuals working together as a team to win the championship.

All I'm saying is that I'm not impressed that they won.  Nor am I impressed when the Yankees, or Man United, or Chelsea, or any other team that brings together a bunch of stars (many are mercenaries, some for money, others for championships and the odd quieting of criticism that comes with it) together with the expressed goal of collecting trophies.  Maybe the shiny metal doesn't impress me as much as it does you.
Now you're putting words in my mouth, for I never said that. In fact, one of my favorite professional athletes, Hall of Fame baseball player Ryne Sandberg, played all but the first year of his career for one team that never even played in the World Series, yet I don't think that tarnishes his legacy as one of the best second basemen ever to play the game.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:03:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3686 on: July 07, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »

Sigh...  

I knew that quip would confuse you, but I stand by it all the same. Teams are made of individuals and go as far as the talents of those individuals who make up the team, but no one individual can carry a team to the NBA title all by himself. A championship team needs some great individual players, but it takes those individuals working together as a team to win the championship.

I'm just quoting your words, which seem to indicate very little "team" and a lot of Lebron.

Now you're putting words in my mouth, for I never said that. In fact, one of my favorite professional athletes, Hall of Fame baseball player Ryne Sandberg, played all but the first year of his career for one team that never even played in the World Series, yet I don't think that tarnishes his legacy as one of the best second basemen ever to play the game.

I didn't put any words in your mouth (read it again).  I'm simply explaining my position; no attribution of your statements at all.  You then explained that you aren't a big trophy guy; got it.  Good example with Ryne Sandberg, as I think he's a great example, as you said, of a player whose legacy shouldn't be tarnished.  Does he become more impressive if he goes to the Yankees and wins a ring?  For me, no.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3687 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Serena Williams wins again.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3688 on: July 07, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

Sigh...  

I'm just quoting your words, which seem to indicate very little "team" and a lot of Lebron.
Amazing you can still say that even after I explain what my words mean. Roll Eyes Usually when I explain exactly what I mean by the words I speak, I think it safe to expect that my audience will take me at my word and stop reading into my words the meaning they want to see in them.

I didn't put any words in your mouth (read it again).
Yes, you did.
Maybe the shiny metal doesn't impress me as much as it does you.
That's an attribution of opinion to me, attribution of an opinion I never expressed. By definition, that's putting words into my mouth.

I'm simply explaining my position; no attribution of your statements at all.  You then explained that you aren't a big trophy guy; got it.  Good example with Ryne Sandberg, as I think he's a great example, as you said, of a player whose legacy shouldn't be tarnished.  Does he become more impressive if he goes to the Yankees and wins a ring?  For me, no.
That's because I judge the contributions of individuals against individual standards and the success of teams against team standards. Is a pitcher who goes 20-5 with an ERA two full runs above the league average suddenly a good pitcher because his team supports him with an average of 10 runs per game? Maybe in Colorado, but doubtful anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:36:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3689 on: July 07, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

Serena Williams wins again.  Smiley

And I thought only Sharapova was the female tennis player the True Orthodox were to celebrate.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: