OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 395799 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3600 on: June 22, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »

Dan Gilbert had it coming with his consistent failure to surround James with actual NBA talent. And talk about petty selfishness that is the exact opposite of what we want to teach our kids! James made a good business decision, but Dan Gilbert did nothing but whine and call him a loser. THAT is the REAL bad example we don't want our kids to follow.
Here's your answer to that FB post Gebre.

OK, I can understand that. I confess that I didn't follow that whole ordeal very closely. If it's true that the owner failed to step up and make the necessary sacrifices to build a championship team around Lebron, then I certainly don't feel sorry for him. And if it's true, I guess I can't blame Lebron too much for leaving. But I don't blame the fans of Cleveland for being bitter about the whole thing. Another reason why I'm not a fan of professional sports: one owner can screw an entire city.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3601 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:23 AM »

one owner can screw an entire city.

Selam

Ask Cincinnati about the Mike Brown.

Most expensive              on record.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3602 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »

Now you basketball losers can focus on the Euros, and rightfully so.  Wink
Euros, schmuros. Roll Eyes It's duck season.

I believe that was in September...well for my university atleast. Wink

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3603 on: June 22, 2012, 02:34:53 AM »

Now you basketball losers can focus on the Euros, and rightfully so.  Wink
Euros, schmuros. Roll Eyes It's duck season.

I believe that was in September...well for my university atleast. Wink
For LSU, September may be Duck season, but January is skunk season. Grin

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:40:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3604 on: June 22, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »

BOSTON (CBS) — There may be no tougher group of athletes on the planet than hockey players. They regularly block 90 mph shots without so much as grimacing, they are happy when a high stick causes them to bleed so that their teams will get extra power-play time, they lose teeth and don’t miss a shift, and they play through serious injuries in their quest for winning a Stanley Cup.
the funny part comes later in the link.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/20/nhl-players-mock-lebron-james-leg-cramps-via-twitter-during-game-4-of-nba-finals/#.T-MRoQ_ATGM.facebook

SCREW BON JOVI!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3605 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Dan Gilbert had it coming with his consistent failure to surround James with actual NBA talent. And talk about petty selfishness that is the exact opposite of what we want to teach our kids! James made a good business decision, but Dan Gilbert did nothing but whine and call him a loser. THAT is the REAL bad example we don't want our kids to follow.
Here's your answer to that FB post Gebre.

OK, I can understand that. I confess that I didn't follow that whole ordeal very closely. If it's true that the owner failed to step up and make the necessary sacrifices to build a championship team around Lebron, then I certainly don't feel sorry for him. And if it's true, I guess I can't blame Lebron too much for leaving. But I don't blame the fans of Cleveland for being bitter about the whole thing. Another reason why I'm not a fan of professional sports: one owner can screw an entire city.

Selam

It is bigger than that.  In the NBA, how many No1 Draft picks or up and coming superstar level players dedicate so much of their early to small-market teams that can't climb the ladder? When a last place team gets a first round pick, the intention is realistically to give that team some potential trade bait.  I player may stick around for 3 or 4 years, but realistically, most good draft picks get traded around.  The fact that Lebron gave Cleveland SEVEN years when he could have had his pick of any team in the league within his first three was impressive enough.  It was part of why I got into Lebron, he had that hometown loyalty that was so missing from the NBA.  Lebron brought the Cavs (almost SINGLE HANDEDLY) from last place laughing stock to Eastern Conference powerhouse, and he made them unimaginable amounts of money when his jersey and merchandise were number one sellers.  Cavs were the biggest team in the NBA, for the first time since the mid-1980s.  They can be proud of their accomplishments, and they tried their best.  However, the reality of the NBA is Lebron gave Cleveland 4 more years than most players ever would have, and nobody blames him for leaving, and if the Decision fiasco had went different there'd be no  bad blood to speak of!  Then again, I also understand why LBJ had to do that Decision nonsense, because for the week before he announced his decision the likes of Goodmorning American and the Today Show and a hundred other media crews were parked out in front of his house feeding the gossip.  Imagine how equally ugly it would have  been if Lebron had just snuck off to Miami in the night and suddenly showed up on the TV in a Heat jersey?  That is the problem living in a media bubble, there is no way to win in the court of public opinion because the media makes everything inherently bigger and uglier than it needs to be.  I think he handled it all relatively well. 

As for the Cavs, they played their cards wrong.  They should have traded Lebron when the getting was good.  That is NBA free-agency strategy 101.  If the Cavs ownership and franchise were honestly THAT COCKY that they thought they could keep a player of Lebron's caliber simply out pride, well they obviously had to learn that lesson the hard way Wink

Lebron must have literally generated for the city of Clevland well over a $1,000,000,000 by HIMSELF, if that isn't enough for that market what is?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3606 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

I'm glad to see that LBJ agrees with me that his 2011 loss humbled him and made him a better player.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3607 on: June 22, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

For those bandwagon fans who don't understand fully why the Thunder are one of the best teams in the NBA, check this out.

This is the welcome the Thunder got when the got of the plane at the airport in OKC this morning..

Loyalty.  Humility.  Community spirit.  I can't imagine too many other franchises that could lose their Finals trip to poorly and yet still receive both such a warm welcome by their city and even the national Sports' media.  When LA loses, the city pouts like a bunch of angry and bickering kids on the playground.  When Boston loses, the city complains and plays the endless blame game.  When OKC loses, they get huge reception as if they'd won.  Props to the city, community, and franchise.  They never fail to demonstrate why I love this team.

However, I love me some Lebron for similar reasons initially, and I am glad that BOTH my teams have been so well-received Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:37:13 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3608 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »

Pirates game starts in about 25 minutes...

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3609 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »

Before last night, this was one of my favorite Lebron jokes:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3610 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

Pens Trade Staal to Carolina

The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't wait to negotiate a new contract with Jordan Staal, trading the center to the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night for center Brandon Sutter, defenseman Brian Dumoulin and Carolina's first-round pick -- the No. 8 selection...

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #3611 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »

The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't wait to negotiate a new contract with Jordan Staal, trading the center to the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night for center Brandon Sutter, defenseman Brian Dumoulin and Carolina's first-round pick -- the No. 8 selection...

The Staal brothers are together! I believe this will be very good.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3612 on: June 22, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

I got a kick out of this article by Bill Simmons about his reflections of Lebron..

Over everything else, he fully married his physical gifts with his basketball I.Q. and morphed into something of a basketball monster. Remember all those times when we wondered, Why doesn't LeBron just take it to the rack — it seems like he could score whenever he wants? Yup, pretty much. A good example of LeBron's physical dominance this spring: Late in Game 4, when LeBron started limping and finally toppled to the floor, everyone in the arena had the same reaction. Wait, LeBron can get hurt? LeBron feels pain? It was like seeing Michael Myers keel over. When he was carried off, the crowd audibly gasped in disbelief. They're carrying him off? They're carrying LeBron off? I assumed that he belatedly realized he'd blown out his knee because, you know, he's a cyborg. As it turned out, he only had cramps. Even that seemed kind of amazing. LeBron James gets cramps? LeBron James needs to drink water?

When I think of Game 5, I will remember LeBron's brilliance first, then Mike Miller having that crazy sports-movie montage of 3s … and then I'll think of the Oklahoma City kids huddled in the corner at the end, waiting their turn, knowing that's how the NBA works.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:31:50 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3613 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

What a bizarre pick.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:20:24 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3614 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »

More detailed info from the Staal trade...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3615 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »

For those bandwagon fans who don't understand fully why the Thunder are one of the best teams in the NBA, check this out.

This is the welcome the Thunder got when the got of the plane at the airport in OKC this morning..

Loyalty.  Humility.  Community spirit.  I can't imagine too many other franchises that could lose their Finals trip to poorly and yet still receive both such a warm welcome by their city and even the national Sports' media.  When LA loses, the city pouts like a bunch of angry and bickering kids on the playground.  When Boston loses, the city complains and plays the endless blame game.  When OKC loses, they get huge reception as if they'd won.  Props to the city, community, and franchise.  They never fail to demonstrate why I love this team.

However, I love me some Lebron for similar reasons initially, and I am glad that BOTH my teams have been so well-received Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That is awesome indeed. Good for Oklahoma City. I hope they can continue to build on their success and give their loyal fanbase what they deserve.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3616 on: June 23, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »

Vancouver Canucks: worst professional sports uniforms ever?

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3617 on: June 23, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »

With no more Scandinavian countries in it and with the Orthodox countries gone...I'll give my support to England and Spain in the Euros. England because I really like the country and I'm a Manchester United fan, and Spain because my fiancee is a Spanish girl.

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3618 on: June 24, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »

Read a quote from LaDainian Tomlinson about possibly joining Denver to try to win a championship:

“At the same time, I thought, ‘How much is a Super Bowl ring really going to do for you at this point?’ Because it’s not with the team I really wanted to do it with.’”
http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/23/ladainian-tomlinson-broncos-peyton-manning-denver-chargers-retire/?sct=hp_t2_a8&eref=sihp

I love the rationale, as I don't really understand the chasing the ring mentality, or why people find it so acceptable.  Plenty of amazing players stayed with teams/clubs and played as best as they could.  Some didn't end up getting a gaudy ring or trophy, but instead served their team, the city, its fans, etc.

I'm not just knocking Lebron, or Ashley Cole, or... could go on for awhile.  I just don't like all of the moving around.  That goes for the owners side too.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3619 on: June 24, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »

Read a quote from LaDainian Tomlinson about possibly joining Denver to try to win a championship:

“At the same time, I thought, ‘How much is a Super Bowl ring really going to do for you at this point?’ Because it’s not with the team I really wanted to do it with.’”
http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/23/ladainian-tomlinson-broncos-peyton-manning-denver-chargers-retire/?sct=hp_t2_a8&eref=sihp

I love the rationale, as I don't really understand the chasing the ring mentality, or why people find it so acceptable.  Plenty of amazing players stayed with teams/clubs and played as best as they could.  Some didn't end up getting a gaudy ring or trophy, but instead served their team, the city, its fans, etc.

I'm not just knocking Lebron, or Ashley Cole, or... could go on for awhile.  I just don't like all of the moving around.  That goes for the owners side too.

I share your sentiments.

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3620 on: June 24, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I hate the "ring or nothing" mentality which has overtaken sports since the Showtime and Jordan eras which made dynasty teams think it was not just a championship, but multiple consecutive championships, which spoils the game for everyone.  If you were a Suns or Jazz or Pistons or Knicks fan in the 1990s, the Bulls just about ruined the game for you as if your were just rooting for Cleveland Wink

I don't like pure ring chasing, it degrades the talent and beauty of pure sport.  It should be about the game first.  Do we really think less of John Stockton or Charles Barkley for not having rings? Hardly.  But we definitely think of Shaq and Jordan as being superior, and they were, no doubt, but that doesn't belittle the magnificent game of other players too.

Interestingly, I usually root for teams whose style I like more so than if they are contending or not.  The Thunder becoming a contending team has been terrible for me, I liked it better when they just were an underground team with sick ball minus the bandwagon.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3621 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »

That's why I have always said even if LBJ never won a ring he'd still should be considered one of the best atheletes to ever play the game.

I'm not saying he's top 10 yet, but I am 100% with you on the rings bit. Again you don't get a ring just because you deserve it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3622 on: June 25, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »

Do we really think less of John Stockton or Charles Barkley for not having rings?
Who?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3623 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:39 AM »

Do we really think less of John Stockton or Charles Barkley for not having rings?
Honestly, I don't think Charles Barkley would give a rat's bahookie what you think about him. laugh
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3624 on: June 25, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »

Well, my favourite football club (Rosenborg) finally updated their website!

http://www.rbk.no/

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3625 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I hate the "ring or nothing" mentality which has overtaken sports since the Showtime and Jordan eras which made dynasty teams think it was not just a championship, but multiple consecutive championships, which spoils the game for everyone.  If you were a Suns or Jazz or Pistons or Knicks fan in the 1990s, the Bulls just about ruined the game for you as if your were just rooting for Cleveland Wink

I don't like pure ring chasing, it degrades the talent and beauty of pure sport.  It should be about the game first.  Do we really think less of John Stockton or Charles Barkley for not having rings? Hardly.  But we definitely think of Shaq and Jordan as being superior, and they were, no doubt, but that doesn't belittle the magnificent game of other players too.

Interestingly, I usually root for teams whose style I like more so than if they are contending or not.  The Thunder becoming a contending team has been terrible for me, I liked it better when they just were an underground team with sick ball minus the bandwagon.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I understand your point to a degree, but I am more concerned about the opposite. I think that since the Jordan era the NBA has become a showcase for "skills" rather than an arena of teams united in solidarity to win a Championship at a sacrificial cost. It has become too much about who can "posterize" somebody or who can "break someone's ankles" with a killer cross over. I see defenders getting out of the way so that they won't be highlighted on ESPN getting dunked on.

However, I think the Thunder and the Heat were two committed teams laying it all on the line. I'd like to see more of that during the regular season. I agree that there are great players who have never won a ring, and that shouldn't diminish their achievements. However, winning a title requires selflessness, sacrifice, and teamwork; and the best of the best care more about a ring than about accumulating stats. Lebron only had one triple double this season, but I guarantee you that he values this ring more than a season replete with triple doubles and no title.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3626 on: June 25, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I understand your point to a degree, but I am more concerned about the opposite. I think that since the Jordan era the NBA has become a showcase for "skills" rather than an arena of teams united in solidarity to win a Championship at a sacrificial cost. It has become too much about who can "posterize" somebody or who can "break someone's ankles" with a killer cross over. I see defenders getting out of the way so that they won't be highlighted on ESPN getting dunked on.

However, I think the Thunder and the Heat were two committed teams laying it all on the line. I'd like to see more of that during the regular season. I agree that there are great players who have never won a ring, and that shouldn't diminish their achievements. However, winning a title requires selflessness, sacrifice, and teamwork; and the best of the best care more about a ring than about accumulating stats. Lebron only had one triple double this season, but I guarantee you that he values this ring more than a season replete with triple doubles and no title.
Like Rajon Rondo.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3627 on: June 25, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »

With no more Scandinavian countries in it and with the Orthodox countries gone...I'll give my support to England and Spain in the Euros. England because I really like the country and I'm a Manchester United fan, and Spain because my fiancee is a Spanish girl.

Looking forward to that inevitable Spain/Germany final? Wink

The English were so BORING yesterday.  I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm glad the Italians won.  Pirlo's PK was pure genius.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3628 on: June 25, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »

Honestly, I don't think Charles Barkley would give a rat's bahookie what you think about him. laugh
And that's why Sir Charles rules.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3629 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:59 AM »

Hey Peter, you said Magic Johnson was the greatest all round basketball player. Can you explain why?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3630 on: June 26, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »

Hey Peter, you said Magic Johnson was the greatest all round basketball player. Can you explain why?
His ability to play every position... He once started an NBA Finals game at center, after Kareem sprained his ankle in the previous game, and scored 42 points, pulled down 15 boards, dished out 7 assists, and even logged 3 steals, all while playing guard, forward, and center at different points throughout the game. The Lakers won that game to clinch their 4-2 series win over the 76ers. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Johnson#Rookie_season_in_the_NBA_.281979.E2.80.9380.29)

Career averages of 19.5 pts, 11.2 assists (#1 all time), 7.2 rebounds, and 1.9 steals per game (Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html)

His extraordinary court vision and ability to find the open man before anyone else could...

His ability to involve all his teammates and give them opportunities to succeed...

Though never one of the great all time defenders at his position, he was better than average in this regard.

Five NBA titles (and another four Western Conference titles) with the Lakers at a time when the Eastern Conference otherwise dominated the NBA.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:11:15 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3631 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:34 AM »

Showtime Johnson is a little before my time, I need to catch up. Any good DVDs of games or highlight reels?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3632 on: June 26, 2012, 02:05:34 AM »

Showtime Johnson is a little before my time, I need to catch up. Any good DVDs of games or highlight reels?

Some videos for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eCLRAB9FF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS2zZZKRvCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swYw_42CJLQ

If he hadn't retired prematurely at 31 after testing positive for HIV, who knows how much more he could have accomplished? (Surprisingly, Magic retired over 20 years ago, and he has yet to develop AIDS.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:22:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3633 on: June 26, 2012, 02:24:11 AM »

Looking forward to that inevitable Spain/Germany final? Wink

The English were so BORING yesterday.  I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm glad the Italians won.  Pirlo's PK was pure genius.

I concur, England was extremely disappointing.

Spain will win yet another trophy, the accolades will pile up for the greatest run by a national team, atleast by my account.

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3634 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »

His extraordinary court vision and ability to find the open man before anyone else could...

His ability to involve all his teammates and give them opportunities to succeed...

Though never one of the great all time defenders at his position, he was better than average in this regard.

Five NBA titles (and another four Western Conference titles) with the Lakers at a time when the Eastern Conference otherwise dominated the NBA.

Beautiful Magic synopsis.  Simply put, the brother is called "Magic" because whatever he did with the ball was magical.  As was noted, he had seemingly omniscient court vision and subsequent ball movement/control.  The brother could make ANY play ANY way, period.  Personally though, I think we all like Magic because of his personality, his charisma, his sincerely good-sported friendliness.  Whose smile is more infecting than Magic's?  He was not like Jordan with a mean-mug on the court that would mute a junk yard bull mastiff, no, Johnson clowned with his game.  I think what is also best about Magic is he is the original young phenom, well before the Kobes and the Lebrons and the Garnetts out there, because Magic came in the league exploding as Rookie of the Year (getting a championship and Finals MVP as a rookie ?!?!) That says it all..

Of course, you made the excellent point, the one thing lacking in Magic's nearly infinite game was superb defense.  That is what made Jordan so stunningly great, he could score AND defend.  Now, this is what makes Lebron catch ALL of our attention.  Everybody, Magic included, realizes that Lebron has the same (I dare even say better) passing skills that Magic had, the same divinely omniscient court vision.  Lebron has the same physical prowess that can put the ball in the hole on almost any drive.  Lebron can play ALL five positions, and its just James and Magic that have done this, EVER (please, prove me wrong, I've been scouring the net for this list for 6 months now!).  What does Lebron have that Magic never could get? All-star, championship level individual defense.  Lebron is the complete package. He has all of Magic's superb offense AND the exhilarating, shut out the hole defense.  What Lebron was missing until this season, was that killer instinct which Magic and Jordan and all the greats had which drove them to multiple championships.  Magic may have been a nice guy with a class act and golden smile, but his game was absolute menacing destruction.  Jordan? Could kill you with a basketball.  Lebron? Was too nice until he got "that look" this season.  If we see "that look" again, and Lebron can climb the all-time greats ladder, he just may inevitably reach Magic levels.  For now, lets enjoy the uniqueness that was Magic's game, after all, somebody will always be better than you in the long run.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:39:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3635 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »

Mike Brown

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3636 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »

Whoa.

Dodgers just got swept in a series and were shut out in all games in the first time in franchise history (!!) against San Francisco, at home in Chavez Ravine (!!)..

That is three games where the Giants scored 8 then then 2 then 3 and the Dodgers combined for NONE!

That is the first time the Giants had shut out a team for an entire series since 1954.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:39:27 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3637 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

That's a hint, so you will send them back to Brooklyn.  Wink Maybe an expansion team can come in as a replacement. See, everybody's happy. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3638 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:22 AM »

That's a hint, so you will send them back to Brooklyn.  Wink Maybe an expansion team can come in as a replacement. See, everybody's happy. Smiley

Haha, never. You guys can keep the Nets Wink

Los Doyers is an LA institution. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3639 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »

Penguins set to sign Crosby to an extension...

12 years.
104.4 million.
This gonna be interesting.
*Crossing fingers that the Pens have discovered how to cast an "impervious" RPG-like spell on him*

Source

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3640 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

I'm disappointed its not 87 million because he has such an obsession with that number.

PS thank you Peter for the links, that was incredible. Magic owns. I've always was more impressed by passing than just straight scoring.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3641 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »

I'm disappointed its not 87 million because he has such an obsession with that number.

As a consolation, 104.4 divided by 12 equals 8.7 Wink

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3642 on: June 29, 2012, 05:05:28 AM »

PS thank you Peter for the links, that was incredible. Magic owns. I've always was more impressed by passing than just straight scoring.

Magic was the best passer ever. Bird was great at it too. But Magic's no look passes were a thing of pure beauty. To me he stands alone in that area.

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3643 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:57 AM »

Penguins set to sign Crosby to an extension...

12 years.
104.4 million.
This gonna be interesting.
*Crossing fingers that the Pens have discovered how to cast an "impervious" RPG-like spell on him*

Source

Man, and I was crossing my fingers that the Minnesota Wild would get him at some point.  Cry

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3644 on: June 29, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8111377/2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-scenes
http://espn.go.com/nba/?topId=8111881
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8111878

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8111377/2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers-scenes
Lebron James is such a force of basketball, that folks are STILL interested in the Cleveland Cavs for headline news! How is Cleveland the star of the draft? Who cares exactly? Why such saturation coverage with several articles discussing the merits or lack there of of Cleveland's draft selections? Oh right, that was the team that Lebron dissed for his championship Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: