OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:37:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 426705 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

Hockey: Detroit Redwings  (duh. And we got a nice Greek boy on the team too! Smiley )

Football (american) UofM Wolverines (pro sucks, bunc of egotistical maniacs)

Soccer: dont really follow

Baseball: dont care but the cardinals for my Grandpa and the Cubbies cuz I'm from there. Tigers...eeeh, whatever.

basketball: what? did someone say something, I was sleeping.  Except at college, where BBall was king (IWU Spartans!)

Even though you're a Wolverine and I'm a Crimson Tider, it's nice to see someone else who recognizes that college football is where it's at! Terrell Owens? Michael Vick? Brett Favre? Plaxico Burress? Dontae Stallworth? They really expect me to fork out 100$ or more to go watch these Jackasses?! Roll Eyes

Selam
GO DUCKS!!! Grin

Is that Oregon?

Selam
Darn quackin', it is!

You guys have cool uniforms!

Selam
Personally, I often find the Ducks' uniforms too flashy.  I prefer the orange and black of the rival Oregon State Beavers.  More menacing, IMO.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »

Hockey: Detroit Redwings  (duh. And we got a nice Greek boy on the team too! Smiley )

Football (american) UofM Wolverines (pro sucks, bunc of egotistical maniacs)

Soccer: dont really follow

Baseball: dont care but the cardinals for my Grandpa and the Cubbies cuz I'm from there. Tigers...eeeh, whatever.

basketball: what? did someone say something, I was sleeping.  Except at college, where BBall was king (IWU Spartans!)

Even though you're a Wolverine and I'm a Crimson Tider, it's nice to see someone else who recognizes that college football is where it's at! Terrell Owens? Michael Vick? Brett Favre? Plaxico Burress? Dontae Stallworth? They really expect me to fork out 100$ or more to go watch these Jackasses?! Roll Eyes

Selam
GO DUCKS!!! Grin

Is that Oregon?

Selam
Darn quackin', it is!

You guys have cool uniforms!

Selam
Personally, I often find the Ducks' uniforms too flashy.  I prefer the orange and black of the rival Oregon State Beavers.  More menacing, IMO.

Well, you know what I'm gonna say. Nothing beats those simple, classy CRIMSON TIDE uniforms! Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:14:30 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »

Well, you know what I'm gonna say. Nothing beats those simple, classy CRIMSON TIDE uniforms! Wink

GO TERPS!

ROLL TIDE
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

That's one sure way to p*** off the coach.  At least, according to the rules, he maintained possession of the football and allowed his team the chance to score on the next play.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:21:56 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

That's one sure way to p*** off the coach.  At least, according to the rules, he maintained possession of the football and allowed his team the chance to score on the next play.

Are you sure?  The ball never broke the plane and the offense would have to be lucky to regain possession on the 1.

If the ball had broken the plane, then things are moot.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:45 AM »

Are you sure?  The ball never broke the plane and the offense would have to be lucky to regain possession on the 1.

Well according to the rules, "the ground cannot cause a fumble." So, if I'm the official I rule that the offense maintains possession at the spot where the ball touched the ground. If I'm the coach, that kid runs wind sprints until he pukes!

Selam
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:54:11 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:14 AM »

Well according to the rules, "the ground cannot cause a fumble." So, if I'm the official I rule that the offense maintains possession at the spot where the ball touched the ground. If I'm the coach, that kid runs wind sprints until he pukes!

Selam
Yes, I believe Gebre's understanding of the rules is correct in this specific case.  If the ball touches the ground while still in the possession of the ball carrier, the play is ruled dead and no fumble is possible.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2009, 02:01:59 AM »

Yes, I believe Gebre's understanding of the rules is correct in this specific case.  If the ball touches the ground while still in the possession of the ball carrier, the play is ruled dead and no fumble is possible.

At least in college, if you fall down with possession, you are automatically down and no one has to touch you.
This was a high school all-star game where the college rule applies; hence, the runner was down once he established contact with the ground.

In the NFL, you can get up after a fall provided that no one contacts you while you're down.

Do we have two potential NFL referees in the making?   Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2009, 02:05:03 AM »

At least in college, if you fall down with possession, you are automatically down and no one has to touch you.
This was a high school all-star game where the college rule applies; hence, the runner was down once he established contact with the ground.

In the NFL, you can get up after a fall provided that no one contacts you while you're down.

Well, I guess if this really was a high school all star game, where winning is not so important as making sure everyone has a good time, I guess we can tolerate a little foolish hot-dogging. Wink

I've heard of an all star football game in my state where one team was so far ahead of the other in the second half that the teams agreed to let the winning team kick the ball off after the losing team scored a touchdown just to give the losing team another chance to score.  Another all star game where one kicker had a reputation for kicking the ball into the endzone for touchbacks so consistently that he was required to kick the ball off from the 35 instead of the 40 just to give the other team a chance to return his kickoffs.  (I actually saw the kid once kick a 60-yard FG in pregame warmups. Shocked)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:22:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »

Well, I guess if this really was a high school all star game, where winning is not so important as making sure everyone has a good time, I guess we can tolerate a little foolish hot dogging. Wink

Based on the uniform on the back of the jersey, this was the game on the video from 2005:

US Army All American Bowl
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2009, 02:24:59 AM »

Well, I guess if this really was a high school all star game, where winning is not so important as making sure everyone has a good time, I guess we can tolerate a little foolish hot-dogging. Wink

I've heard of an all star football game in my state where one team was so far ahead of the other in the second half that the teams agreed to let the winning team kick the ball off after the losing team scored a touchdown just to give the losing team another chance to score.

I still say wind sprints are in order. But, of course, I'm from the Bear Bryant mold. Wink

Back in the early 80's we had an extrememly talented running back named Lenny Patrick. He was a bit of a hot dog, and in high school he always wore a bandana under his helmet (this was years before it became common place.) On the first day of practice, Coach Bryant noticed Lenny's bandana sticking out from his helmet. He was so angry that he came down from his famous coaching tower- something he rarely did. He called Lenny over to him and asked, "What is that rag hanging out of your helmet?" Lenny said, "It's my bandana coach. Lenny always wears a bandana." Coack Bryant looked at him and said, "Tell Lenny he can either wear his helmet or his bandana, it's up to him."

Selam

Selam
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:26:46 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2009, 02:59:48 AM »

I've heard of an all star football game in my state where one team was so far ahead of the other in the second half that the teams agreed to let the winning team kick the ball off after the losing team scored a touchdown just to give the losing team another chance to score.

I still say wind sprints are in order. But, of course, I'm from the Bear Bryant mold. Wink

Back in the early 80's we had an extrememly talented running back named Lenny Patrick. He was a bit of a hot dog, and in high school he always wore a bandana under his helmet (this was years before it became common place.) On the first day of practice, Coach Bryant noticed Lenny's bandana sticking out from his helmet. He was so angry that he came down from his famous coaching tower- something he rarely did. He called Lenny over to him and asked, "What is that rag hanging out of your helmet?" Lenny said, "It's my bandana coach. Lenny always wears a bandana." Coack Bryant looked at him and said, "Tell Lenny he can either wear his helmet or his bandana, it's up to him."

Selam

Selam
Reminds me of a similar story about Oregon's winningest high school football coach, Dewey Sullivan, who died just a few years ago.  Back in the 70's he had a stud QB on his team who let his good press get to his head.  When Sullivan gave this QB an order in practice, the QB sent back a smart-alecky reply.  Wasn't very long before the QB found himself lying flat on his back in a mud puddle.  If only today's football coaches could get away with that kind of "inspiration".
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

Selam

Selam
Reminds me of a similar story about Oregon's winningest high school football coach, Dewey Sullivan, who died just a few years ago.  Back in the 70's he had a stud QB on his team who let his good press get to his head.  When Sullivan gave this QB an order in practice, the QB sent back a smart-alecky reply.  Wasn't very long before the QB found himself lying flat on his back in a mud puddle.  If only today's football coaches could get away with that kind of "inspiration".

I'm with you. Old School, baby!

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2009, 03:52:16 AM »

Has anyone noticed that, including tonight's win over the Dodgers, the woeful Pirates have only won 4 of their last 27 games?  5 losses away from yet another 100-loss season for a team that hasn't had a winning season since Barry Bonds left in 1992. Roll Eyes
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »

Has anyone noticed that, including tonight's win over the Dodgers, the woeful Pirates have only won 4 of their last 27 games?  5 losses away from yet another 100-loss season for a team that hasn't had a winning season since Barry Bonds left in 1992. Roll Eyes

Wow.....makes my Blue Jays look absolutely stellar.   Grin

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2009, 01:00:23 AM »

Well, how about that, Mr. and Mrs. Y.   Wink  laugh

DENVER -- It took a total team effort, but the Cardinals secured their fourth National League Central championship in six years with a 6-3 win over the Rockies at Coors Field on Saturday night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090926&content_id=7174402&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »

The Baltimore Orioles are working on 12 straight losing seasons and may join the Nationals and Pirates (?) for losing 100 games.

The Nationals lost 100 games in back to back seasons, becoming the fourth team to do so in the last 25 years after the Rays, Royals and Tigers.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2009, 01:47:43 AM »

ROLL TIDE ROLL!   ROLL TIDE ROLL!   ROLL TIDE ROLL!   ROLL TIDE ROLL! 4 and 0 on the season thus far! #3 in the nation!

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »

Sure, Mississippi was #5 before collapsing under South Carolina.

Maybe no one, besides the Tide, is good in the SEC this year.   Wink
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #380 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »

Oh well. Pittsburgh has two champion teams. The Pirates are for humility. And they have Orthodox choirs sing the National Anthem before games (lemme find that clip, wait ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeS4lWzOmb0

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #381 on: September 27, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »

Oh well. Pittsburgh has two champion teams. The Pirates are for humility. And they have Orthodox choirs sing the National Anthem before games (lemme find that clip, wait ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeS4lWzOmb0

Yeah, and the Chicago Cubs reportedly had a Greek Orthodox priest bless their dugout/clubhouse.  Much good that did. Roll Eyes
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #382 on: September 27, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

Joe Flacco = Redemption for John Elway spurning the Baltimore Colts for the Denver Broncos in 1983.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

Joe Flacco = Redemption for John Elway spurning the Baltimore Colts for the Denver Broncos in 1983.
Except that the Colts now play in Indianapolis and the team now in Baltimore used to be the Cleveland Browns.  A lot has changed in the NFL over the years, my friend. Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »

Except that the Colts now play in Indianapolis and the team now in Baltimore used to be the Cleveland Browns.  A lot has changed in the NFL over the years, my friend. Wink

Gee, I didn't know that.   Roll Eyes
Cleveland and Baltimore are physically where they were located in 1983.   Wink
The reference was to cities and not franchises (Colts were used only as a reference to those who may not have been born in 1983).
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

GO DUCKS!!!
Second straight win over a Top 25 team.  A week ago it was No. 18 Utah.  Then the Oregon Quack Attack demolished No. 6 California 42-3 in their conference opener yesterday.  The Golden Bears scored first with a FG early in the first quarter (after the Ducks fumbled the ball away on the opening kickoff) but never scored again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:03:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #386 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »

THIS JUST IN:  The Detroit Lions finally win a game, beating the Redskins 19-14.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290927008
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #387 on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »

THIS JUST IN:  The Detroit Lions finally win a game, beating the Redskins 19-14.

Rejoice!!  I saw this coming from weeks ago.   Grin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #388 on: September 27, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »

Hasn't the season just started? It can't really be "finally" if they've only played, what, three or four games?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #389 on: September 27, 2009, 07:36:27 PM »

Hasn't the season just started? It can't really be "finally" if they've only played, what, three or four games?
Remember, though, that the Lions didn't win a single game last year and had a 19-game losing streak going into today's game.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:36:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #390 on: September 27, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

Uh yea. Don't mention to anyone that rookie Andrew McCutchen has talent. If da Pa-ritz' General Manager learns how good he rilly is, da Pa-ritz will trade him.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:40:07 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #391 on: September 27, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

DENVER -- It took a total team effort, but the Cardinals secured their fourth National League Central championship in six years with a 6-3 win over the Rockies at Coors Field on Saturday night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090926&content_id=7174402&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I realise that this may stick in the craw of Peter The Aleut a bit.  Sorry about that, I was not intending to rub it in.  Actually, I've often wondered what it would be like to go to a ball game at Wrigley Field.  It looks like a really cool old-style park to me.  Anyone ever experience it?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #392 on: September 27, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »

I realise that this may stick in the craw of Peter The Aleut a bit.  Sorry about that, I was not intending to rub it in.
Eh, it's baseball.  You win some, and you lose some.  Since only six of 28 teams can win their divisions and only two division non-champions can win their league wild cards, most everyone is going to experience the pain of falling short of the goal much more often than the joy of actually reaching it.  Of course, if you're a Yankee fan rooting for a team that can buy all the championship caliber players you can dream of... Undecided

In my case, I'm a Cubs fan, so I'm used to the pain of defeat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:59:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #393 on: September 27, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »

Remember, though, that the Lions didn't win a single game last year and had a 19-game losing streak going into today's game.
Ah, I see. I don't pay enough attention to either Detroit or American football to have known that. Quite an accomplishment for them, then. Next task: runner up in the Super Bowl a lay Tampa Bay Rays.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »

I realise that this may stick in the craw of Peter The Aleut a bit.  Sorry about that, I was not intending to rub it in.  Actually, I've often wondered what it would be like to go to a ball game at Wrigley Field.  It looks like a really cool old-style park to me.  Anyone ever experience it?
I've never been there for a ball game, but I have seen it. It is really cool, but I think I like Fenway better, as far as old parks go. I've thought about going there for a game against St. Louis; the Cardinals sell vacation packages every year, complete with transportation and hotels next to the field. Cubs/Cards games are so much fun, and I always see many proud wearers of blue at Busch when they come here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:12:42 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »

I've never been there for a ball game, but I have seen it. It is really coo, but I think I like Fenway better, as far as old parks go. I've thought about going there for a game against St. Louis; the Cardinals sell vacation packages every year, complete with transportation and hotels next to the field. Cubs/Cards games are so much fun, and I always see many proud wearers of blue at Busch when they come here.
I've not forgotten the old Cubs/Cardinals rivalry I experienced when I lived in Illinois.  I actually felt sorry for my friends who were Cardinal fans after the tarp roller and Don Denkinger incidents in the 1985 World Series, even though I had moved out to Oregon just a couple of months previous.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #396 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »

I've never been there for a ball game, but I have seen it. It is really coo, but I think I like Fenway better, as far as old parks go. I've thought about going there for a game against St. Louis; the Cardinals sell vacation packages every year, complete with transportation and hotels next to the field. Cubs/Cards games are so much fun, and I always see many proud wearers of blue at Busch when they come here.
I've not forgotten the old Cubs/Cardinals rivalry I experienced when I lived in Illinois.  I actually felt sorry for my friends who were Cardinal fans after the tarp roller and Don Denkinger incidents in the 1985 World Series, even though I had moved out to Oregon just a couple of months previous.
Yeah, those hurt. Thing is, though, that we had a chance to win in Game 7, and we were legitimately the better team, but we just couldn't seem to put the past behind us.

The Royals were good, no doubt, but they've since been plagued by bad business decisions. The Wal-Mart model, slashing overhead (in this case, player salaries) in order to turn a profit from cheaper selling prices, just does not work in professional baseball. One makes money by selling tickets, and no one wants to see a AA team in a major league uniform. The Royals need a player who can sell tickets. They need a McGwire, Carpenter, or Pujols. Zach Grienke may be their ticket seller, but they've got to be willing to pay him, something they haven't shown they're willing to do since Kauffman owned the team. I know he has a big contract; I just hope they stick with it.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #397 on: September 27, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

Yeah, those hurt. Thing is, though, that we had a chance to win in Game 7, and we were legitimately the better team, but we just couldn't seem to put the past behind us.
Yup.  I watched that game.  Your ace pitcher, John Tudor, could not have picked a worse night to have his worst game of an otherwise phenomenal year and even more phenomenal second half.  IIRC, he got so enraged at his poor performance that he sliced open his pitching hand by punching a cooling fan after he was taken out of the game.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

3-0 FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS, 4TH TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY!

WOOHOO!!!!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #399 on: September 28, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

Jets?

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

No, THE NY Jets, as in the NY Jets that spanked TOM BRADY last week, and beat the Titans this week!  Grin  Grin

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Here are records of some current, recently hired NFL coaches:

Rex Ryan : 3-0
Eric Mangini: 0-3 (was intern for old Cleveland Browns before their move to Baltimore)
Josh McDaniels: 3-0
Jim Harbaugh: 3-0 (16-6 career, including postseason)
Jim Schwartz: 1-2 (1-2 career)
Jim Zorn: 1-2 (9-10 career)
Mike Singletary: 2-1 (7-5 career)
Raheem Morris: 0-3 (youngest NFL coach)
Mike Tomlin: 1-2
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

Joe Flacco = Getting lucky.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »

Joe Flacco = Getting lucky.

Sure....   Roll Eyes
Randy Lerner sells the Browns to some billionaire native Clevelander who will rebuild the Browns and put the fear back in the Dog Pound (the same Pound that Elway completely ignored in "the Drive).  He can always move the Browns to Los Angeles and the NFL can place a third iteration of the Browns in Cleveland for more futility.   Shocked

Art Modell was an innovator despite what the rest of NE Ohio thinks about him. He innovated by getting out of football at the right time.   Wink
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »

Eric Mangini: 0-3 (was intern for old Cleveland Browns before their move to Baltimore)

That fact seemingly means nothing in the modern NFL.  

Paul Brown: Genius coach, visionary for the NFL (and the importance of the forward pass - see Otto Graham), grandfather of the West-Coast offense (as Bill Walsh's mentor and Head coach in Cincy).  Successful in Cleveland.  Team named after him.

Marty Shottenheimer: mildly successful with, and after, Browns.

Bill Belachoke: Great D coach under Parcells.  Awful with Browns.  "Genius" with Pats (guess the cheating helped a ton).
Bruce Ariens: Great O coach.  Awful with Browns.  "Genius" O coach after.
Romeo Crennel: Great D coach.  Awful with Browns.

What's terrifying: each of the last three made awful coaching decisions, especially in the area of non-expertise, which severely hampered the Browns.  Can't blame it all on personnel.  

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: