OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 03:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 392330 times) Average Rating: 5
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3555 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »

Consensus reached on [College Football] playoff

The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season...

Finally!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3556 on: June 20, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »

The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season...

Finally!
Indeed! Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3557 on: June 20, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Brother, we're talking a  single game to a single game, you should be fair and give Lebron some credit.  His 30-15-5 in the Finals is the best average ever at the moment.  Chill out, Jordan's legacy is in no way threatened, but there can be other great players in the game too Wink

MICHAEL JORDAN

LeBron had 26 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds in the Miami Heat’s Game 4 victory Tuesday, plateaus Jordan never reached in an NBA Finals game. LeBron is the first player with those numbers in an NBA Finals game since Larry Bird in 1986.

James
LeBron, who is 27 years old, is now one game from his first NBA championship. Jordan didn’t win his first ring until he was 28 years old. LeBron has now been to three NBA Finals series before the time Jordan reached his first.

LeBron has three regular-season MVP awards. When Jordan was LeBron’s age, he had only one MVP.

LeBron is averaging 30.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game this postseason. Jordan averaged at least 30 points per game in each of his last 12 postseasons, but he never averaged as many as eight rebounds per game in a postseason.

Jordan had 22 double-digit assist games and 21 double-digit rebound games in his postseason career, but he had just two postseason triple-doubles.

LeBron already has seven career postseason triple-doubles and was a rebound shy of his eighth in Game 4.

Jordan was certainly known for his scoring prowess, but he never scored at least 25 points in 14 straight games in a single postseason. LeBron has done that twice, in 2009 and his current streak. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, nobody else in NBA playoff history has done that even once.

Numbers don't lie my brother GMK, Jordan may be Jordan, but LeBron is LeBron, and in a decade we will reconfigure the stat check and see who is who Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"There are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics."   -Mark Twain-

Not that Jordan can't measure up with anyone statistically, but anyone who really understands basketball knows that there's much more to the game than that which shows up on the stat sheet. But I've made my compelling arguments for Jordan already in this thread, and no need to rehash it all here. Like I said, enjoy Lebron. He's a great player. Probably will go down in history as one of the THE greats. But Jordan is still alone at the top. But each to his own.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3558 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink
Six rings... Big deal! Scottie Pippen won six rings, yet you don't talk about him.

And Robert "Buzz" Peterson has as many National Championship rings as Jordan. You're gonna have to come stronger than this brother.  Wink
Thanks for taking the bait, Gebre. Wink You just added evidence that proves my point. Grin

I dispelled your point. But keep trying.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3559 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink
Six rings... Big deal! Scottie Pippen won six rings, yet you don't talk about him.

And Robert "Buzz" Peterson has as many National Championship rings as Jordan. You're gonna have to come stronger than this brother.  Wink
Thanks for taking the bait, Gebre. Wink You just added evidence that proves my point. Grin

LOL! laugh If you think you dispelled my point, then you don't even know what my point is. Let me give you a hint: My point is what I intend to communicate, not what you think I intend to communicate.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3560 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »

Finally!

Still not enough.

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3561 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

LOL! laugh If you think you dispelled my point, then you don't even know what my point is. Let me give you a hint: My point is what I intend to communicate, not what you think I intend to communicate.

Coattails. That's my point.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3562 on: June 21, 2012, 12:47:42 AM »

I guess I can live with that. I just hope it stops here. Don't need to fix what's not broken. And college football is not broken, in spite of the marketing and propaganda that has convinced most people otherwise. Next to the World Cup, college football is the most exciting and passionate sport there is. But the curse of money is gonna inevitably ruin it in time I'm afraid.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3563 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »

I guess I can live with that. I just hope it stops here. Don't need to fix what's not broken. And college football is not broken, in spite of the marketing and propaganda that has convinced most people otherwise. Next to the World Cup, college football is the most exciting and passionate sport there is. But the curse of money is gonna inevitably ruin it in time I'm afraid.
You only know one level of college football, then. Roll Eyes When you look at NCAA Division I-AA, II, and III football, you recognize immediately that NCAA Division I-A football IS broken and in need of fixing. I agree with celticfan that this playoff system isn't enough, but it is a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:50:36 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3564 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »

You only know one level of college football, then. Roll Eyes When you look at NCAA Division I-AA, II, and III football, you recognize immediately that NCAA Division I-A football IS broken and in need of fixing. I agree with celticfan that this playoff system isn't enough, but it is a step in the right direction.

So Division I football needs to stoop to the level of Division II? Really? But how can I expect an Oregonian to truly understand college football?  Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3565 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »

"There are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics."  -Mark Twain-

Not that Jordan can't measure up with anyone statistically, but anyone who really understands basketball knows that there's much more to the game than that which shows up on the stat sheet. But I've made my compelling arguments for Jordan already in this thread, and no need to rehash it all here. Like I said, enjoy Lebron. He's a great player. Probably will go down in history as one of the THE greats. But Jordan is still alone at the top. But each to his own.

Selam

I like the way you tried to be clever and discredit my analysis, but correction, stat sheets my brother are what document exactly what happens on the court. Yes, there are intangibles which don't make the stats, however, simply put, anything impressive about a player definitely makes the stats.  Statistics documents exactly what a player did.  Jordan is a scorer and a defender, his stats demonstrate this effectively with high scores and steals.  Lebron is a ridiculously versatile player, his stat sheet shows this with the combination of scoring, rebounding, and assists.  When players AVERAGE high numbers across ALL their stats, that is a telling statement about their game.  What makes Jordan so great? That his lines are consistently high scoring across his career.  Further, if 6 six rings and 3 MVPs AREN'T stats, what are they? So Lebron has stats which back up his game.  Those who know anythin about basketball know that you don't know anything if you aren't checking the numbers to back up your trashtalk Wink

And speaking of intangibles that don't make the stats, I like Lebron BETTER than Jordan because Jordan perhaps had the single worst attitude in basketball, even worse than Kevin Garnett, Kobe, and Kareem combined! That is saying something.  Whereas Lebron, the Decision drama aside, has consistently been one of the sincerely nicest guys in basketball, with the lightest heart and who appears to actually, gasp, have fun playing a game!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:29:39 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3566 on: June 21, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

Habte and Achronos,

I am crushed at work once again. Any news I can use for tonight?

I'll be lucky to shower and make the game by the first quarter.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3567 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

Habte and Achronos,

I'm still feeling Heat in Six, but the entirety of the NBA pundit world seems to be saying Heat will win tonight.  I really don't know.  Maybe this article with interviews by Elgin Baylor and Larry Bird bigging up KD and Lebron will give you something to think about Wink

"These guys are so good," Bird said. "I'm glad I'm out of the league."

Trumping Larry Legend is a miracle!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3568 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »

To add a bit of substance to this thread Smiley

And en route to the top of the mountain LeBron didn't brag or trash talk anybody, didn't pop his jersey, didn't engage in self-absorbed end zone celebrations or otherwise annoy the hell out of us by unnecessarily calling attention to himself. He wasn't guilty, that I'm aware, of a single moment of boorish behavior or rudeness. The most noticeable thing LeBron's done so far, besides average nearly 30 points and drag Oklahoma City to the brink of elimination, is turn his locker stall into a library cubicle. This is related to his performance on the basketball court, trust me.

Surely, you've noticed the videotape of LeBron reading books before every game the last two months. Biographies, history, pop culture, best-sellers, short books that explore human psychology; you name it. LeBron lying on the floor reading "The Hunger Games." LeBron sitting at his locker reading "The Pact," about three boys from challenging circumstances agreeing to finish college and attend medical school
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8080433/lebron-james-read-nba-finals

We have all had ball players as our heroes, and thankfully Jordan didn't get caught up in drugs, violence, adultery, or other typical pro-sports scandals (unlike just about EVERY other player out there) but in the 2000s era, scandal and NBA are synonymous.  Lebron has thankfully changed that.  I first noticed Lebron in 2005 because that young kid was very much like KD is now, a ridiculously talented young athlete who actually had a good, friendly, and likeable personality and image.  He was about playing b-ball, not making the gossip pages.  In nine years he has resisted the temptations, only trashtalked with his improvements to his game, and now, has turned the NBA Finals into Reading Rainbow?

Lord have mercy this is a nice guy, he deserves the ring, he deserves our attention, and now that LBJ and KD are the two both biggest and nicest superstars in the game, I am proud to have my students look up to these young men as role models.  Props to Lebron for keeping it real in a fantasy league Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:15:31 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3569 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »

"There are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics."  -Mark Twain-

Selam

I like the way you tried to be clever and discredit my analysis, but correction, stat sheets my brother are what document exactly what happens on the court. Yes, there are intangibles which don't make the stats, however, simply put, anything impressive about a player definitely makes the stats.  Statistics documents exactly what a player did.  Jordan is a scorer and a defender, his stats demonstrate this effectively with high scores and steals.  Lebron is a ridiculously versatile player, his stat sheet shows this with the combination of scoring, rebounding, and assists.  When players AVERAGE high numbers across ALL their stats, that is a telling statement about their game.  What makes Jordan so great? That his lines are consistently high scoring across his career.  Further, if 6 six rings and 3 MVPs AREN'T stats, what are they? So Lebron has stats which back up his game.  Those who know anythin about basketball know that you don't know anything if you aren't checking the numbers to back up your trashtalk Wink

And speaking of intangibles that don't make the stats, I like Lebron BETTER than Jordan because Jordan perhaps had the single worst attitude in basketball, even worse than Kevin Garnett, Kobe, and Kareem combined! That is saying something.  Whereas Lebron, the Decision drama aside, has consistently been one of the sincerely nicest guys in basketball, with the lightest heart and who appears to actually, gasp, have fun playing a game!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Brother, I'm trying to find common ground with you. I've given Lebron his due. But now you are making it difficult with some of your comments here. First, I never said stats don't matter. See my words in bold above. Jordan's stats speak for themselves, and he has nothing to apologize for statistically. But as I said, the game is more than stats, and Jordan possessed all the intangibles to go along with his statistical prowess.

But where we are going to have the most profound disagreement is with you accusation that Jordan had the "single worst attitude in basketball." I couldn't disagree more. Ask anyone who ever coached Jordan what kind of attitude he had. Ask any of his coaches whether or not they would give anything to have every player they coached possess the same winning attitude that Jordan possessed. But most people confuse intensity, the demand for excellence, intimidation, and a no nonsense approach with a "bad attitude." That's how soft and sorry our culture has become. Jordan never took himself out of a game because the coach didn't design a play specifically for him (like Pippen did). Jordan never wined about having to practice (like Iverson did). Jordan demanded as much from his teammates as he did from himself, and he got in their faces if he felt like they were giving less than what was needed to win. That's leadership. But amazingly people criticize such leadership and accuse Jordan of "not being nice."

I don't expect Lebron to have Jordan's personality. He's his own man, and that's cool. That's one of the things that annoyed me about Kobe, he tried too hard to mimic Jordan in every way. So I respect that Lebron is not afraid to be who he is. He likes to do his little jigs and clap powder into the air, and that's his thing. Fine. But just because Jordan didn't engage in such happy-go-lucky antics doesn't mean that Jordan didn't have fun playing ball. Don't forget that it was Jordan who first had a "love of the game" clause put into his contract. Nobody loved and enjoyed the game of basketball more than Jordan, and to suggest that he didn't is downright ignorant.

As for your other post about Lebron's reading... I see that as an indictment of our culture more than anything else. Lebron reads books, and we're supposed to heap praise on him for that? How far have our standards fallen?

Anyway bredren, I know we won't see eye to eye on this. I will reiterate that I think Lebron is a great player and he seems like a nice person. But when the Jordan comparisons come out before the dude's even won one NBA title, then I think people need to ease up on guzzling the Kool Aid.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3570 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »

Habte and Achronos,

This might be the end of the road for my OKC. If this gets to game 7 I will be truly stunned.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3571 on: June 21, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »

And en route to the top of the mountain LeBron didn't brag or trash talk anybody, didn't pop his jersey, didn't engage in self-absorbed end zone celebrations or otherwise annoy the hell out of us by unnecessarily calling attention to himself. He wasn't guilty, that I'm aware, of a single moment of boorish behavior or rudeness. The most noticeable thing LeBron's done so far, besides average nearly 30 points and drag Oklahoma City to the brink of elimination, is turn his locker stall into a library cubicle. This is related to his performance on the basketball court, trust me.

As I said last year, it took that loss from Dallas to humble this man to such an extent. He's an awesome person and has a great character.

Lebron rules
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:56:39 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3572 on: June 21, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

Habte, I feel like my posts related to basketball has creating tension between us. I'd like to bury the hatchet going forward. Sorry if I aggravited you with my rudeness and my infliction of superiority.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3573 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

Gebre, I'm glad LBJ doesn't have Jordan's personality because he's a jerk (but what I really want to put here is ...)

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3574 on: June 21, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »

Habte, I feel like my posts related to basketball has creating tension between us. I'd like to bury the hatchet going forward. Sorry if I aggravited you with my rudeness and my infliction of superiority.

Me too Habte. Sports brings out the passions in me. Lebron is great, and he seems like a good person too. I'll always be a Jordan apologist. Lebron, KD, or somebody else may eventually eclipse Jordan, and if they do I will acknowledge it. I just have different standards than most people when it comes to sports, and I admit I can be a bit harsh in my judgments. But I think it best that I bow out now and let us agree to disagree on this issue. I too apologize if I was rude or offensive.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3575 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »

OKC are just chillin, then they're gonna come back in the 2nd half and dominate!

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3576 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »

OKC are just chillin, then they're gonna come back in the 2nd half and dominate!
Like Scotty Brooks would make an adjustment to make that happen.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3577 on: June 21, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

Don't be a game, hate the playa.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3578 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »

A flagrant, REALLY?

I just turned off this game. Screw the NBA.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3579 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3580 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers
"I got a million dollars say that Lebron won't get a ring."
The Game

A flagrant, REALLY?

I just turned off this game. Screw the NBA.

You are being so silly, Thunder have shot twice as many free throws than Heat, how many more do the need? Maybe if they could make a shot and shoot better than 30% or perhaps defend the perimeter so that Mike Miller doesn't shoot 7 from beyond the arc as if we were in 2010 Phoenix Suns?

In regards to the apologies, they are mutual Smiley

Thanks everybody, its been a great NBA season.  I've been absolutely spoiled for many years now, and I am also sorry if I've been a d*** about b-ball here.  Lets all enjoy this championship.  Its a win-win.  Lebron and the Heat (which is a small market team by the way, people forgot that in all the hype that follows lebron) get to silence the vitriol with their game.  Thunder get the attention they deserve on the big stage, and will definitely  earn a huge fan base, they are the future of basketball.  I love y'all truly.

Banner years all around.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:23:25 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3581 on: June 21, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »

Let the conspiracy theorizing begin! I'll go first...

David Stern feared that a Barry Sanders type situation would begin. Sanders, the best football player to ever play the game, just couldn't get to the big game. Every year his teams lost, lost, lost. After a while it drove him insane to be the best player on the planet, yet never be able to be the champion. So he quit. He could have had the all time rushing record and a bunch of others, but he retired. He just couldn't take it. If James keeps losing something similar may happen. He'll go crazy, and out of frustration he will retire, robbing the league of one of it's biggest money makers. Thus, while a longer series would have been better financially for the league at this very moment, nonetheless over the long term the most important thing is to keep James happy. And not only must James be kept happy, but any legit discussion of James vs. Jordan would have no shot if he doesn't win championships, thus requiring the NBA to help him start collecting some, so that a modern-day Jordan can be marketed to people (especially casual fans). Is it a suprise that Westbrook only got like 1-2 free throws last game, even though he was aggressive and driving to the basket? And did you guys know that before that play at the end of last game, when Westbrook fouled the Heat player, that the refs lied to him about the time situation? That's why he was so confused! And don't forget all the fouls Wade has committed and not got called for.

(for those who don't know, yes, I'm joking)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:25:00 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3582 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:51 AM »

Let the conspiracy theorizing begin! I'll go first...

David Stern feared that a Barry Sanders type situation would begin. Sanders, the best football player to ever play the game, just couldn't get to the big game. Every year his teams lost, lost, lost. After a while it drove him insane to be the best player on the planet, yet never be able to be the champion. So he quit. He could have had the all time rushing record and a bunch of others, but he retired. He just couldn't take it. If James keeps losing something similar may happen. He'll go crazy, and out of frustration he will retire, robbing the league of one of it's biggest money makers. Thus, while a longer series would have been better financially for the league at this very moment, nonetheless over the long term the most important thing is to keep James happy. And not only must James be kept happy, but any legit discussion of James vs. Jordan would have no shot if he doesn't win championships, thus requiring the NBA to help him start collecting some, so that a modern-day Jordan can be marketed to people (especially casual fans). Is it a suprise that Westbrook only got like 1-2 free throws last game, even though he was aggressive and driving to the basket? And did you guys know that before that play at the end of last game, when Westbrook fouled the Heat player, that the refs lied to him about the time situation? That's why he was so confused! And don't forget all the fouls Wade has committed and not got called for.

(for those who don't know, yes, I'm joking)

I'm not ready to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but it sure did seem like Miami got a lot of bad calls in their favor. But I still think they were clearly the better team.

As for bad calls, I'm gonna bump the suggestion I made earlier in this thread:

I have a solution to these problems though. I think each coach should be allowed to question any call or no call once in each half. For example, they can throw a flag on the court at any time and have the officials review the play and make the right call. But only once in each half. So if the OKC coach thought Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds of the last game, he throws the flag and play stops. Then they go to the replay and make the correct call. I think this would be a good idea.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3583 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »

Congrats to Lebron and the Heat. Great team with all the pieces- two legit superstars, excellent role players, and a great bench.

I wish Lebron would have stayed in Cleveland. I was becoming a big fan of his. I can even forgive his decision to leave Cleveland, but there's something about Miami that I just don't like. A sleazy city with no basketball history whatsoever. I think that's a big part of it for me as much as anything. (My apologies to anyone from Miami.)

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3584 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »

After tonight, there is no way in hell you can hate Lebron James. Unless your named Skip Bayless who should never be brought up except for comedic reasons.

But still, God I love Kevin Durant. Those tears man, that hit me deep.

Yeah Miami sucks as a city, but it's whatev. Better than craphole Cleveland.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:21:30 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3585 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »

After tonight, there is no way in hell you can hate Lebron James. Unless your named Skip Bayless who should never be brought up except for comedic reasons.

But still, God I love Kevin Durant. Those tears man, that hit me deep.

Yeah Miami sucks as a city, but it's whatev. Better than craphole Cleveland.

Yeah, it was refreshing to see KD weeping after that loss. Let's hope that the NBA culture doesn't dampen his passion.

Miami is probably a better place than Cleveland to visit on vacation, but my sympathies always lie with the blue collar crowd. I view sports through a social lens, and I tend to root for the blue collar teams and fan bases. That's why I was never a Lakers fan. I loved Magic, but the sight of those Hollywood silver spoons always disgusted me. But I'm different from most in this regard. Most people jump on the bandwagon of whatever is hip, hot, and currently winning the day. But that just ain't my style.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3586 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:09 AM »

The only city worse than Cleveland is Detroit.

OKC needs to fire Brooks and get Phl Jackson or Sloan.

When you see KD with a girlfriend instead of his mom in the crowd he's in big trouble...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3587 on: June 22, 2012, 12:52:42 AM »

Magic Johnson has been heaping praise on Lebron all night, and rightly so. But he also just said that right now Lebron is nowhere close to Jordan. He still has lots of time and lots of ball left in him, but Magic is correct in my opinion. Right now, the Jordan comparisons are premature. 

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3588 on: June 22, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »

Or he should have said nowhere close to Magic Johnson. Wink

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3589 on: June 22, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »

I want to be friends with Bosh IRL
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:10:28 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3590 on: June 22, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »

worth it.

I want to be friends with Bosh IRL

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3591 on: June 22, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

We need you to provide a link to this letter if you copied it from an online source. Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3592 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:01 AM »

http://articles.courant.com/2010-07-09/sports/hc-web-cavs-statement-20100709_1_dan-gilbert-northeast-ohio-cleveland-cavaliers
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:31:35 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3593 on: June 22, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »

OK. Thanks.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3594 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dan Gilbert had it coming with his consistent failure to surround James with actual NBA talent. And talk about petty selfishness that is the exact opposite of what we want to teach our kids! James made a good business decision, but Dan Gilbert did nothing but whine and call him a loser. THAT is the REAL bad example we don't want our kids to follow.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3595 on: June 22, 2012, 01:42:24 AM »

Dan Gilbert had it coming with his consistent failure to surround James with actual NBA talent. And talk about petty selfishness that is the exact opposite of what we want to teach our kids! James made a good business decision, but Dan Gilbert did nothing but whine and call him a loser. THAT is the REAL bad example we don't want our kids to follow.
Here's your answer to that FB post Gebre.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3596 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55:09 AM »

Time for Dan Gilbert to eat these:

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3597 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »

Now you basketball losers can focus on the Euros, and rightfully so.  Wink

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3598 on: June 22, 2012, 01:57:41 AM »

Now you basketball losers can focus on the Euros, and rightfully so.  Wink
Euros, schmuros. Roll Eyes It's duck season.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3599 on: June 22, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »

This is fun to watch:

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: