OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:01:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 414849 times) Average Rating: 5
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3510 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Another game affected by a very controversial call late. That was an offensive foul committed by Lebron against James Hardin. It was great defense and should have been OKC's ball. The last game was affected by a no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds. Both calls were close and tough to make, but the replays showed they got it wrong both times.

Selam

Lebron already said that was an intentional foul to stop the clock.  The ref let them play to give KD the better advantage of still taking an easy 5 foot jumper instead of the free throws for the foul.  KD when pressed three times at a press conference, reiterated nothing about the non-call but rather said, "I missed the shot."  In other words, the play was fine, its playoff basketball, 9 out of 10 possessions results in contact.  Further, even if KD got the foul, they would have tied with 12.1 seconds left for Heat to make a play. If Heat didn't score it would have went to OT with KD pushing his luck at 5 fouls. In other words, that was not a decisive call.  It was a bad call, but in all actuality, not a game changer.  In regards to Harden,  I love me some James Harden, but he relies way to much in drawing the foul on questionable calls.  He is a much better player when he focuses on just making shots rather than trying so hard to get to the line. You reap what you sow in the postseason, and he is young, he will learn that.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3511 on: June 18, 2012, 02:16:40 AM »

In regards to Harden,  I love me some James Harden, but he relies way to much in drawing the foul on questionable calls.  He is a much better player when he focuses on just making shots rather than trying so hard to get to the line. You reap what you sow in the postseason, and he is young, he will learn that.
And in this case his stupid foul sent James to the line with the chance to put his Heat up by two possessions with 16 seconds left when Harden's Thunder still had timeouts left and could have stopped the clock without a foul. (Other such stupid fouls, not necessarily by Harden, involved fouling the Heat on consecutive corner three attempts to put them on the line for 6 free throws in two possessions. The Heat made all 6.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:18:21 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3512 on: June 18, 2012, 02:26:30 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In regards to Harden,  I love me some James Harden, but he relies way to much in drawing the foul on questionable calls.  He is a much better player when he focuses on just making shots rather than trying so hard to get to the line. You reap what you sow in the postseason, and he is young, he will learn that.
And in this case his stupid foul sent James to the line with the chance to put his Heat up by two possessions with 16 seconds left when Harden's Thunder still had timeouts left and could have stopped the clock without a foul. (Other such stupid fouls, not necessarily by Harden, involved fouling the Heat on consecutive corner three attempts to put them on the line for 6 free throws in two possessions. The Heat made all 6.)

When he tried to draw that offensive foul on World Peace and instead got knocked in the head with a haymaker elbow I think was a bit more risky.  That brother Harden notoriously both flops, and also draws ridiculous fouls, and as an OKC fan I just wish he wouldn't.  OKC is a young team, they've always been both foul and turnover heavy, they just have prolific scorers who can fill that gap.  Heat in 6, they will win the trophy in Oklahoma.  Drive Drive Drive and defense will win the day for whatever team takes it, but Heat have that advantage when three games who how soft Thunder's frontcourt is to defending the drive.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:27:07 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3513 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »

That was a bad game to lose, but I'll only panic if the Thunder lose Tuesday. I guess tomorrow's practice and Tuesday's shootaround should consist only of free throws or games of gotcha or something.

Also the Thunder badly need to utilize the Westbrook Harden Thabo Durant Ibaka lineup more. I am convinced that this combination can right things.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3514 on: June 18, 2012, 02:47:14 AM »

Don't forget that Harden almost had a steal just prior to that foul. I think people should attack Lebron more when he tries to handle the ball in the backcourt. Put a smaller guy on him and force turnovers when he's trying to act like a point guard.. Lebron isn't the best dribbler in the world. But when you allow him to dribble uncontested then he can do just about anything he wants. He has great vision and knows how to find the open man.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3515 on: June 18, 2012, 04:33:06 AM »

What the heck is basketball? Come on guys, it's the Euros, FOOTBALL!

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3516 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »

What the heck is football? Huh
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3517 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »

What the heck is football? Huh

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3518 on: June 18, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »

That was a bad game to lose, but I'll only panic if the Thunder lose Tuesday. I guess tomorrow's practice and Tuesday's shootaround should consist only of free throws or games of gotcha or something.

Also the Thunder badly need to utilize the Westbrook Harden Thabo Durant Ibaka lineup more. I am convinced that this combination can right things.

Agreed.  Thunder is not in panic mode, but they should be realistic.  Heat have outplayed them in three games.  Simple as that.  Further, in reality, while it was an exciting series, the Spurs outplayed OKC in 3 games too.  So Thunder have shown their Achilles' Heel, which is playing against what is realistically a more talented team.  There are a lot of bandwagon fans jumping on the Thunder right now, but those of us who been following this team since they were almost last place in the NBA know that you can't be a championship level time while during the season also both LEADING THE NBA in turnovers (averaging just under 17 a game!!) and also ranking dead last in ball movement (they were 30th in assists this season).  Those are glaring stats which keep popping up their ugly head, hence Miami's domination of the fast-break.  Heat on the other hand also have their predictable flaws, they are an NBA record setting team for giving up double digit leads in the 2nd half (something like almost 30 games this regular season alone were either barely won or even lost even when the Heat led by double figures at the half) and so not surprisingly OKC has had some miraculous comebacks, and further, they stretch their starters a bit heavy and play shallow rotations.  However, I think when you compare OKC's flaws to Heat's flaws, they  are worse in this circumstance, and further, when you compare Heat's virtues to OKC's, Heat also have several key advantages (size, home-court, momentum, experience, explosive drives in the paint, defense) compared to Thunders (length, scoring, athleticism, ball movement when they're playing hot like against Spurs)

Don't forget that Harden almost had a steal just prior to that foul. I think people should attack Lebron more when he tries to handle the ball in the backcourt. Put a smaller guy on him and force turnovers when he's trying to act like a point guard.. Lebron isn't the best dribbler in the world. But when you allow him to dribble uncontested then he can do just about anything he wants. He has great vision and knows how to find the open man.

Many teams have tried to put intense pressure on Lebron when he has the ball, that is when they come to discover as you said, his great vision and b-ball IQ.  Lebron has superb dribble control, simply stated, folks can triple team the brother and still both not force a travel neither even get the steal, rather force a good pass, which is the secret of the Heat's "Pace and Space" offence which is essentially an enlarged version of the Triangle.  But you'd have to follow LBJ around for a few years to catch those moments, because of his sheer NFL defensive line-man size, many players avoid putting too much pressure in his face, getting hit by his drive is like getting straight out-blitzed.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:24:48 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3519 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »

Baseball legend Roger Clemens found not guilty of perjury

Legendary baseball pitcher Roger Clemens was found not guilty Monday of lying to Congress during an investigation of steroid use among major league players.

The case against Clemens involved one count of obstruction of Congress, three counts of making false statements and two counts of perjury. He was not charged with illicit use of performance-enhancing drugs, but his denial of such use was part of the case against him.

A federal jury found him not guilty on all six counts...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3520 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Ethiopia advances to final round in Africa Cup qualifiers, if they can pull off a miracle it will be first time since 1982!

Ethiopia continued their recent good form when they held Benin 1-1 in Cotonou, Benin, on Sunday and reached the final qualifying round for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.
Big up to the Black Lions

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:28:21 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3521 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »

Heading into Game 4, James is averaging 30.7 points and 9.7 rebounds in the playoffs. Here’s a long list of players who have averaged at least 30.7 points and 9.7 boards in a postseason during the modern era:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Shaquille O’Neal. Hakeem Olajuwon.

That’s it. That’s the list. Three of the all-time great centers.

As hard as it is to believe, those are James’ peers now, statistically. James entered the league as a point guard, and nine years later he’s putting up numbers of Hall of Fame centers. Throw in the fact that James also has averaged five assists per game and the list of players who have averaged 30-10-5 during the playoffs in modern times shrinks to one. Just James.
ESPN.com

If LeBron wins a ring this year, his stats will go down as some of the greatest of any championship player EVER! Will it silence the haters? Probably not, but it will feel good for the best to finally be on the top of is game Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:00:04 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3522 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

Will it silence the haters? Probably not

It's 2015. Lebrick has made it to the finals several times, but come up short always, always, always. Finally, in humility he returns like a prodigal son. The Decision II. ESPN special. "I am taking my talents, such as they are, back to Cleveland. I hope I can help them win a championship." And thus the circle of redemption is completed.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3523 on: June 19, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »

What’s more stunning is the fact that James has as many post-up plays this postseason as the entire Oklahoma City Thunder team (95).

James’ dependable post-up game and work on the boards (he registered a game-high 14 rebounds in Game 3) have been essential to the Heat's success so far in the Finals despite the team's playing without a true center. How have the Heat been able to overcome the size advantage in the paint and on the boards? Thunder center Perkins gave his take at Monday’s practice.

“They got LeBron James,” Perkins said.

And then he repeated himself, just in case he didn’t make himself clear the first time.

“They got LeBron James.”
ESPN.com

WOW!! That is the first time in three years I've seen Perk not only silence his trash talk, but big up another player, even as great as Lebron.  If the haters haven't been silenced yet, then even hell freezing over won't be enough, Perk has one of the ugliest attitude problems in the history of the NBA!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3524 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »

Speaking of ESPN, why--heaven help me, why!?--did they put Stephen A. Smith back on the air? That guy is even more annoying than Colin Cowherd, and that's something I would have thought impossible.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3525 on: June 19, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

Speaking of ESPN, why--heaven help me, why!?--did they put Stephen A. Smith back on the air? That guy is even more annoying than Colin Cowherd, and that's something I would have thought impossible.

Meh, I dig his enthusiasm sometimes, and while his analysis isn't always factually correct, when it is, he puts out some serious jewels.  I also like how he gets in the face of trashtalk! A lot of people like to run their grills in the NBA world, Smith calls em out! ..And his ongoing feud with Skip Bayless are always interesting when it comes to talkin about the Heat, because both Smith and Bayless both seem to like the Heat, and yet both are very cynical things to say when the timing is appropriate Wink

stay blessed,

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3526 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »

THIS GAME

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3527 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »

Seriously my eyes are this: O_O right now.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3528 on: June 19, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »

NICK COLLISON LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3529 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »

Bring out the wheelchair for Wade

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3530 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »

Oh you didn't know? You betta call somebody!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3531 on: June 19, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »

So, I guess the Heat will be getting fitted for rings tomorrow.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3532 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:33 PM »

EAT THAT, OKC! Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3533 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »

This is madness!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3534 on: June 19, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3535 on: June 19, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3536 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink

Selam

Brother, we're talking a  single game to a single game, you should be fair and give Lebron some credit.  His 30-15-5 in the Finals is the best average ever at the moment.  Chill out, Jordan's legacy is in no way threatened, but there can be other great players in the game too Wink  Besides, both KD and Russ have matched and topped Jordan's introduction to the Finals.  I saw those kids in 2010 against the Lakers and I said to myself, "these guys have it."  America just saw that tonight.  People will never forget the Thunder just like I never forgot them after that year..   But credit is where credit is do.  Heat are exploding, tip your hat!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:54:13 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3537 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:48 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink
Six rings... Big deal! Scottie Pippen won six rings, yet you don't talk about him.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3538 on: June 19, 2012, 11:56:10 PM »

This game really stung.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3539 on: June 19, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »

James Harden is going to spend 5 months watching tape of himself blowing that layup and then missing that huge free throw jumpshot. Man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3540 on: June 20, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »

Six rings... Big deal! Scottie Pippen won six rings, yet you don't talk about him.
"Don't trip Peter, I got this one." Big Shot Rob

This game was huge.  Thunder will win the next one, hopefully Lebron will finally rest a bit.  If (when) Heat win the series, Lebron will have the best  numbers of any champion ever in the Finals.  Back to being King James? Perhaps.  Heat role players stepped up to that 97/98 Bulls level I been woofing about.  Brother GMK, the reason I keep bringing up Jordan or those Bulls is because they were literally one of the single greatest teams arranged ever.  Teams, not just individual players.  Heat are not the best, but they are playing at that level.  This is a once in a generation postseason for just about every team that competed, however, its been that way for Heat too.

Heat in six.  They get the trophy in Oklahoma.  Thunder is the new dynasty team.  The beautiful game is back.  Lets all just enjoy it!

I must admit, I've been mercilessly spoiled. My teams have won the championship 2 of past 3 and its looking strongly like 3 of 4 Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:06:37 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3541 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »

It seems that you're also overlooking home court advantage, which now belongs to the Heat.
There has been only 6 teams that have won the Finals when starting on the road, when the league switched to a 2-3-2 format. The last team to do it was the Miami Heat in 06. I was really expecting OKC to pull out a win last night, so maybe I should say OKC in 6.
Try this on for size, Bubba. NO team has EVER come back to win the NBA Finals after falling behind 3-1. In fact, no team has ever come back to even force Game 7 after falling behind 3-1. Strike that. The Lakers, then in Minneapolis, came back to force Game 7 against the Celtics in 1966 but lost the final game. There might be more cases of such partial comebacks, but I'm not going to spend any more time tonight looking for them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:23:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3542 on: June 20, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »

It seems that you're also overlooking home court advantage, which now belongs to the Heat.
There has been only 6 teams that have won the Finals when starting on the road, when the league switched to a 2-3-2 format. The last team to do it was the Miami Heat in 06. I was really expecting OKC to pull out a win last night, so maybe I should say OKC in 6.
Try this on for size, Bubba. NO team has EVER come back to win the NBA Finals after falling behind 3-1. In fact, no team has ever come back to even force Game 7 after falling behind 3-1.

Its all quiet on the Thunder bandwagon on ESPN.com comments, looks that way here too Wink

Me, I adore it! I watched thunder climb from last place to last seed to the Conference Finals to the NBA Finals.  That kind of development so fast is insane! I hope real basketball fans were taking note, Thunder are the new era.  We may see Thunder and Heat become the Showtime Era Lakers and Celtics.

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:09:11 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3543 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:51 AM »

Its all quiet on the Thunder bandwagon on ESPN.com comments, looks that way here too Wink

What exactly are you expecting here? If I criticize the Heat and defend the Thunder people will say I'm a blind fanatic or deluded. If I criticize the Thunder and congratulate the Heat for a good game people will say I'm jumping off the "bandwagon". My silence is golden. Or maybe pewter.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3544 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »

What exactly are you expecting here? If I criticize the Heat and defend the Thunder people will say I'm a blind fanatic or deluded. If I criticize the Thunder and congratulate the Heat for a good game people will say I'm jumping off the "bandwagon". My silence is golden. Or maybe pewter.

I've congratulated both the Heat and the Thunder tonight, and criticised both teams at times when appropriate. Its not that difficult, its called sportsmanship  Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:20:09 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3545 on: June 20, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »

Homey don't play that game.  Cool

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3546 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:17 AM »

The beautiful game is back. 

The name's already taken.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3547 on: June 20, 2012, 03:31:34 AM »

Lebron playing one rebound short of a triple double till his legs literally give out from runner's cramps? This is easily comparable to the infamous Jordan Game 5!! The Heat absorb a legendary Russell Westbrook explosion just like they did the Rondo Experience in Boston? Will Batman save the day in Game 5 for Miami?  Stay tuned next time..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Easy on the Jordan comparisons. After Lebron has 6 rings, then the discussion can begin. Until then, just enjoy Lebron but don't go overboard.  Wink

Selam

Brother, we're talking a  single game to a single game, you should be fair and give Lebron some credit.  His 30-15-5 in the Finals is the best average ever at the moment.  Chill out, Jordan's legacy is in no way threatened, but there can be other great players in the game too Wink  Besides, both KD and Russ have matched and topped Jordan's introduction to the Finals.  I saw those kids in 2010 against the Lakers and I said to myself, "these guys have it."  America just saw that tonight.  People will never forget the Thunder just like I never forgot them after that year..   But credit is where credit is do.  Heat are exploding, tip your hat!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I've given Lebron plenty of credit here bredda. You know that. I just ain't ready to declare him the next Jordan.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3548 on: June 20, 2012, 03:33:15 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

And Robert "Buzz" Peterson has as many National Championship rings as Jordan. You're gonna have to come stronger than this brother.  Wink

Selam

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #3549 on: June 20, 2012, 04:03:25 AM »

The beautiful game is back. 

Football is the beautiful game.

Forgive my sins.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3550 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »

Football is the beautiful game.
[image]Rooney playing...[/image]
It's indeed one of several.  I gotta admit though, the Ukraine goal looked good to me.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3551 on: June 20, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I've given Lebron plenty of credit here bredda. You know that. I just ain't ready to declare him the next Jordan.

Selam

Jordan is Jordan, LeBron is Lebron.  Can James score like Jordan? No.  Can Jordan play all five positions like James while rebounding like a center and passing like a point guard? No.  Each player is their own.  My comparison was not to Jordan's game, but to that legendary Finals game where Jordan  played through his illness the get the win, the way Lebron last night played until literally his legs gave out from under him, and still managed to sink a game-clinching three!! That was simply amazing.

By the way, here is an interesting analysis from someone who knows Jordan and Kobe better than any of us Wink

"Phil Jackson wanted Kobe to play like Lebron

ANDREA KREMER:  Do you think LeBron’s not being utilized in the best way?
PHIL JACKSON:  Oh, they’re– they’re using LeBron every possible way they can.  He’s such a great player.  I still think his game is gonna grow.  I still think it’s gonna grow.  But he was like Scottie Pippen was to the Bulls.  He’s maybe a pass first and shoot second player.  Whereas, you know, Michael or Kobe are like, “I’m gonna shoot this ball.”  Every time they get the ball, they’re looking to score. LeBron’s not like that.  And I love that about him.  But he also, when he goes after scoring, he’s also terrific.  You want a player that can do both.  I tried to get Kobe to do both for numbers of years, and he could.  But his first instinct is to beat the guy that’s in front of him.
Phil Jackson

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3552 on: June 20, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

Brother, we're talking a  single game to a single game, you should be fair and give Lebron some credit.  His 30-15-5 in the Finals is the best average ever at the moment.  Chill out, Jordan's legacy is in no way threatened, but there can be other great players in the game too Wink

MICHAEL JORDAN

LeBron had 26 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds in the Miami Heat’s Game 4 victory Tuesday, plateaus Jordan never reached in an NBA Finals game. LeBron is the first player with those numbers in an NBA Finals game since Larry Bird in 1986.

James
LeBron, who is 27 years old, is now one game from his first NBA championship. Jordan didn’t win his first ring until he was 28 years old. LeBron has now been to three NBA Finals series before the time Jordan reached his first.

LeBron has three regular-season MVP awards. When Jordan was LeBron’s age, he had only one MVP.

LeBron is averaging 30.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game this postseason. Jordan averaged at least 30 points per game in each of his last 12 postseasons, but he never averaged as many as eight rebounds per game in a postseason.

Jordan had 22 double-digit assist games and 21 double-digit rebound games in his postseason career, but he had just two postseason triple-doubles.

LeBron already has seven career postseason triple-doubles and was a rebound shy of his eighth in Game 4.

Jordan was certainly known for his scoring prowess, but he never scored at least 25 points in 14 straight games in a single postseason. LeBron has done that twice, in 2009 and his current streak. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, nobody else in NBA playoff history has done that even once.

Numbers don't lie my brother GMK, Jordan may be Jordan, but LeBron is LeBron, and in a decade we will reconfigure the stat check and see who is who Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:19:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3553 on: June 20, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

And Robert "Buzz" Peterson has as many National Championship rings as Jordan. You're gonna have to come stronger than this brother.  Wink
Thanks for taking the bait, Gebre. Wink You just added evidence that proves my point. Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3554 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

Consensus reached on [College Football] playoff

The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season...

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: