OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 397288 times) Average Rating: 5
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3465 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

...my thunder? What happened to my Heat?

Tongue

We've covered this before.  I always root for two teams, one in the West and one in the East.  I have been following LeBron in the East since 2007, and the Thunder in the West since 2009.  I predicted in December these teams would collide in the Finals, and now it is surreal, because I have never had both my teams in a championship series!!  In all honesty, I am rooting for the Heat to take the ring, but the Thunder is also my team, so I could handle them winning.  So realistically, I am just rooting for baskets Wink

^I hate when people can't make up their mind  Grin
Honestly I want Lebron to win a ring and OKC Thunder to win.

Why cant this happen

Heat get it this year, Thunder gets it next year.  Lebron silences the haters who have already well tipped their hat to the Thunder, and the Thunder can have had a consistent evolution from laughing stock to the Finals in four seasons. I say its a win-win situation, but I am biased, because again, these are both my teams.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:55:10 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3466 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »

But the whole point of sports is to blindly root for a team no matter what happens, and violently ridicule any who would dare face your team in this mortal combat we euphemistically call a "game"...
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3467 on: June 14, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

^I hate when people can't make up their mind  Grin
Honestly I want Lebron to win a ring and OKC Thunder to win.

Why cant this happen

because james is a scumbag.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3468 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BATTIER AND DURANT

COME ON OKC CLOSE OFF THE 4TH Q LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3469 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »

O_O THAT RALLY

Oh how I wish OKC won that, it would have been so fitting.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3470 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

<3 OKC

<3 Durant, unbelievable tonight.

It was a great game for OKC, but a bit of an anomaly as Sefolosha stepped up even a bit more then Harden on offense and Collison was 4-5 and had 10 boards (I really like Nick but that is embarrassing for Bosh) and Serge went 50%.  The bigs were good for OKC, but Heat can readjust for that.  In reality, Heat played this game with only six guys so they really underestimated the Thunder. That won't happen again.  I think Heat will readjust and win the next one, it won't take much, just a bit tighter on defense and LeBron needs to focus more on driving in the lane rather then jumpers.  Drives worked, OKC has bigs in their front court, but they still aren't used to the kind of consistently explosive drives that Heat can deliver, and so in that regard, they need to do that more. So if Heat can keep driving rather then jump shooting, and can defend KD a bit tighter they should easily be able to recapture the series.  OKC fed off their crowd who was actually a bit quiet in the first half.. Heat defense can keep that up and drain a bit of the energy and keep it flowing their way.  If Bosh had played a little better offense and Heat played a bit deeper they could have kept their lead.  With that, I only readjust my prediction to Heat in 7.  Even though everyone will jump on the OKC bandwagon, its a bit early, this team is ridiculously good, but so is the Heat.

But who am I kidding, my Thunder just clowned it in their first Finals game!! Wow.  This is surreal to have both teams in it..  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I'm not at all surprised the Thunder won this game, since I figured they would win at least one of the first two games at home. I figured, though, that the Heat would break OKC's home winning streak in one of these two games, which I figured would more likely be Game 2. If they can do that, then the first two games will essentially mean nothing, and the Heat will have home court advantage in the remaining best-of-five series.
WHAT DID I TELL YA? Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3471 on: June 14, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »

Great game. OKC made another valiant comeback. Unfortunately, a bad no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds might have been the difference. But props to Lebron, who was absolutely clutch in the stretch. Fun to watch two great players like KD and Lebron in the finals. Heck, I almost watched all four quarters!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3472 on: June 15, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »

God June owns, finals this good every other evening and euro cup every morning/day.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3473 on: June 15, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »

Miami Heat's defense entirely won this game.  If you check the stats, the numbers are almost identical tonight as they were last night for both teams.  KD and Russell have combined for consecutive record setting numbers for Finals introductions.  They've each matched Jordan's Final introductions as well.  However, Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem stepped up their defense and upped Heat's game.  Further, putting out a deeper roster spread the floor and increased the defensive pressure.  What was the difference with Bosh in it for 40 minutes? In Game 1 Sefolosha had 9 and Collison had 8 and were shooting like 70% and their points made that difference.  Tonight? Nick went scoreless and Thabo only had 3.  What was the deficit? 4 points...

Also, the Heat went for more drives, that is key.  They will win this series only by drives and defense.  
. But props to Lebron, who was absolutely clutch in the stretch. Fun to watch two great players like KD and Lebron in the finals. Heck, I almost watched all four quarters!

Thank you Smiley

You should watch these.  This post-season has literally been once in a generation at several levels.

I figured, though, that the Heat would break OKC's home winning streak in one of these two games, which I figured would more likely be Game 2.
You sir, nailed it.  I also figured Heat would get Game 2.  

I believe we agreed Smiley

I'm still calling it 4-2 Heat, Thunder are getting at bit winded by having to run through so many great teams.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:14:29 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3474 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »

okay, this is NOT me being confrentaional, but

im not much of a basketball fan, so i admit this is foreign to me.

how exactly does a GOOD defense alllow 96 points? these high scoring games make it seem like, form an outsiders perspective, that defense just doent exist, whatsoever, in basketball.

and the follow up, how does one play good defense, and what must one do in order to prevent the other team from scoring, which it seems like all defenses fail at.

SCREW BON JOVI!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3475 on: June 15, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

how exactly does a GOOD defense alllow 96 points? these high scoring games make it seem like, form an outsiders perspective, that defense just doent exist, whatsoever, in basketball.

and the follow up, how does one play good defense, and what must one do in order to prevent the other team from scoring, which it seems like all defenses fail at.

First, a lot of basketball defense is intangible, it doesn't make the stat sheets, its just good plays on the floor, and the Heat were smothering to the last minute.

Second, because the Thunder average 102 in the postseason and 103 in the regular.  Further, check the particular I pointed.  Last game Sefolosha and Nick Collison won the game.  They combined for the extra 17 points shooting at like 70% that Thunder clearly needed tonight, and tonight Bosh and Lebron shut them down cutting Thabo to 3 and Nick went scoreless.

Further, if you check the stats, the Heat didn't have any more production in their offense, the only real difference between this game and last on either OKC or Miami's numbers was Nick and Thabo.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3476 on: June 15, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »

how exactly does a GOOD defense alllow 96 points?
How many points has OKC averaged per game this year? If only 70, then 96 is horrible defense, but if 120, then 96 starts looking a lot better. For the record, the 96 points OKC scored tonight was below their regular season average of 103, so I would call that good Miami Heat defense.

these high scoring games make it seem like, form an outsiders perspective, that defense just doent exist, whatsoever, in basketball.
It's all relative.

What scores do you expect to see in an NBA game?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:31:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3477 on: June 15, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »

I can't even begin.

Terrible.

Miami just to want to lose at times.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3478 on: June 15, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »

I can't even begin.
So don't. Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3479 on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:22 AM »

I won't. Brain dead anyhow. Already yelled enough at humans in real life tonight.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3480 on: June 15, 2012, 12:50:47 AM »

Let's be real.

OKC was down 16? 17? at one point in the 2nd. They made it essentially a 2-point game with under a minute left.

That is is one Battier / Chalmers missed 3, a couple of OKC made FTs, or one 50/50 call from OT or an OKC win. And it was close after being down 17-ish.

Battier is not going to continue hitting 70-80% from 3-pt range, and OKC is not going to continue having bad nights at the line. Both are statistical abnormalities.

This series is awesome, and OKC will win it in 5.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3481 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »

Let's be real.

OKC was down 16? 17? at one point in the 2nd. They made it essentially a 2-point game with under a minute left.

You are looking at it completely backwards.  OKC has been a bit winded by their explosive play, and they have been blown out in the first  half twice on their own floor.  You think OKC can rally like that in Miami?  If Heat have managed to keep their poise in one of the loudest arenas in the history of the game, I think they can take this one.  OKC is young, their explosive play is fooling us, but their jitters are just as apparent.  I agree that Heat needs to increase their offensive production, but on the same token, they did tonight compared to last night, and went for those crucial drives.  OKC will falter in Miami two games.  They may come back and win sunday, but Heat will take the series, and rightfully so.  America is on the thunder bandwagon out of a sense of loathing of the heat, but its heat's year, not thunder. 

4-2 Heat is gonna take the trophy in Oklahoma.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3482 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »

Time for money to be placed otherwise this is just noise.

I'll take Achronos' money.

Let's check the money odds on that outcome and make it interesting.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3483 on: June 15, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »

Time for money to be placed otherwise this is just noise.

I'll take Achronos' money.

Let's check the money odds on that outcome and make it interesting.

OKC has been my team for 3 solid years, I know them in and out. They can pull of some impressive magic, but these rallies were even a bit excessive for them.  That will not continue in every game, where as the Heat defense keeping OKC under a 100 just might Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3484 on: June 15, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »

Let's be real.

That is is one Battier / Chalmers missed 3, a couple of OKC made FTs, or one 50/50 call from OT or an OKC win. And it was close after being down 17-ish.

Battier is not going to continue hitting 70-80% from 3-pt range, and OKC is not going to continue having bad nights at the line. Both are statistical abnormalities.

You honestly think OKC is going to win all 3 games in Miami? 'Cuz that's what they're going to have to do to win this series in 5.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3485 on: June 15, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »

Let's be real.

You are looking at it completely backwards.  OKC has been a bit winded by their explosive play, and they have been blown out in the first  half twice on their own floor.  You think OKC can rally like that in Miami?  If Heat have managed to keep their poise in one of the loudest arenas in the history of the game, I think they can take this one.  OKC is young, their explosive play is fooling us, but their jitters are just as apparent.  I agree that Heat needs to increase their offensive production, but on the same token, they did tonight compared to last night, and went for those crucial drives.  OKC will falter in Miami two games.  They may come back and win sunday, but Heat will take the series, and rightfully so.  America is on the thunder bandwagon out of a sense of loathing of the heat, but its heat's year, not thunder. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The thing is, I'm talking about statistical abnormalities (okc's poor free throw shooting, Shane Battier destroying threes) moving back towards averages. You're making psychobabble conjectures based on feeling.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3486 on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »

The thing is, I'm talking about statistical abnormalities (okc's poor free throw shooting, Shane Battier destroying threes) moving back towards averages. You're making psychobabble conjectures based on feeling.

Nonsense, because I'm feeling it for both teams! OKC had a remarkable come back, but the reality is they've had to rally from double digit deficits on their own floor twice now.  Much like with Pacers and Boston, Heat have pushed the OKC to put up legendary quality numbers, but its from the pressure of coming from behind, not dominating a lead.  I love my Thunder, but they are pushing their luck trying to win the Finals coming from behind every game.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3487 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »

Let's be real.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

It seems that you're also overlooking home court advantage, which now belongs to the Heat.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3488 on: June 15, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »

Nonsense, because I'm feeling it for both teams! OKC had a remarkable come back, but the reality is they've had to rally from double digit deficits on their own floor twice now.  Much like with Pacers and Boston, Heat have pushed the OKC to put up legendary quality numbers, but its from the pressure of coming from behind, not dominating a lead.  I love my Thunder, but they are pushing their luck trying to win the Finals coming from behind every game.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Didn't the Heat lose because the Mavs came back from behind several games last year?

It seems that you're also overlooking home court advantage, which now belongs to the Heat.
There has been only 6 teams that have won the Finals when starting on the road, when the league switched to a 2-3-2 format. The last team to do it was the Miami Heat in 06. I was really expecting OKC to pull out a win last night, so maybe I should say OKC in 6.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:30:37 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3489 on: June 15, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

According to Elias, Durant’s combined 68 points in Games 1 and 2 are the third-most in NBA history by a player in their first two career NBA Finals games. The only players with more are Allen Iverson (71 in 2001) and Michael Jordan (69 in 1991).
Elias Sports Bureau

Even more reason to see KD as the upcoming Jordan.  Of course, much like how Heat allowed Rondo to explode, they can absorb even KD scoring like Jordan in the Finals and get a win.

Props to KD for keeping his young head an setting an all-time Finals record rather then choking and fouling out which could have easily happened in such an urgent  final quarter.  His consecutive Finals games 1 and 2 with more than 15 fourth quarter points is an all-time high for any player in the Finals history. 

There has been only 6 teams that have won the Finals when starting on the road, when the league switched to a 2-3-2 format. The last team to do it was the Miami Heat in 06. I was really expecting OKC to pull out a win last night, so maybe I should say OKC in 6.

You seem to be forgetting that this is my Thunder's first trip to this dance, and only a handful of teams have won it their first trip.  Granted they used to be the Sonics, but in many respects this is an entirely different and new franchise.  Teams that won it first try includes the Bulls, the Spurs, the Lakers, and the Blazers, but most teams don't win until their second or third trip.

It can go to Thunder, but there is a lot also going against them.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:13:41 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3490 on: June 15, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »

Nonsense, because I'm feeling it for both teams! OKC had a remarkable come back, but the reality is they've had to rally from double digit deficits on their own floor twice now.  Much like with Pacers and Boston, Heat have pushed the OKC to put up legendary quality numbers, but its from the pressure of coming from behind, not dominating a lead.  I love my Thunder, but they are pushing their luck trying to win the Finals coming from behind every game.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Didn't the Heat lose because the Mavs came back from behind several games last year?

You've forgotten, though, that the first two games are done, the teams are tied, and the Heat now have the home court in three of the five games that remain.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3491 on: June 15, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

Enough bickering. Money talks. BS walks.

I am willing to lay money against Achronos' prediction. Who else wants in?

It is easy enough to find what the odds are for his prediction.

Oklahoma City Thunder Win Series 4-1 +410

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/nba-finals-odds-and-pick/

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3492 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »

Miami Heat Win Series 4-2 +685

Let's get some action going.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3493 on: June 15, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

Miami Heat Win Series 4-2 +685

Let's get some action going.
Odds are hard for this series because the stat lines go either way. Some historic stats favor OKC, others favor the Heat.  When you combine them, I'd stick with Heat in 6 but I would never dismiss the Thunder.  Of course, remember post season Thunder 2010 and 2011 looked monstrously good in all their games too, but came up short where it counted most.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:52:54 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3494 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »

After about the 27th straight hour of the media blaming Dwyane Wade for Tuesday's Miami loss, wondering if he was finished and goading him into those There's no question I'm not the same guy I was when I was 24 answers, it became pretty clear that Wade would play significantly better in Game 2.2 If you were making a Pride Power Rankings of NBA players, Wade and Kobe would be 1-2 in some order, then there would be a massive dropoff to no. 3 (maybe Chris Paul?), and then you'd keep going for about 400 more players until you got to Vince Carter. Alpha dogs are wired a certain way — they think they're the best in any situation, whether it's a basketball game, a poker table, a nightclub, or even an NBA labor meeting. In the past 20 years, only four players could complain about a blown call, walk over to the offending official, debate the blown call with one of those sarcastic "you know you messed up, right?" looks on their faces, then walk by the official and give him a totally condescending slap on his behind. Those four players: Jordan, Iverson, Kobe and Wade. That's the list. And yes, you might remember Wade doing exactly that to Danny Crawford during Game 2.
Bill Russel http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8056767/the-mandatory-nba-finals-power-rankings

HAHA!!

"Its funny because it's true"

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3495 on: June 16, 2012, 02:22:36 AM »

After about the 27th straight hour of the media blaming Dwyane Wade for Tuesday's Miami loss, wondering if he was finished and goading him into those There's no question I'm not the same guy I was when I was 24 answers, it became pretty clear that Wade would play significantly better in Game 2.2 If you were making a Pride Power Rankings of NBA players, Wade and Kobe would be 1-2 in some order, then there would be a massive dropoff to no. 3 (maybe Chris Paul?), and then you'd keep going for about 400 more players until you got to Vince Carter. Alpha dogs are wired a certain way — they think they're the best in any situation, whether it's a basketball game, a poker table, a nightclub, or even an NBA labor meeting. In the past 20 years, only four players could complain about a blown call, walk over to the offending official, debate the blown call with one of those sarcastic "you know you messed up, right?" looks on their faces, then walk by the official and give him a totally condescending slap on his behind. Those four players: Jordan, Iverson, Kobe and Wade. That's the list. And yes, you might remember Wade doing exactly that to Danny Crawford during Game 2.
Bill Russel http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8056767/the-mandatory-nba-finals-power-rankings

HAHA!!

"Its funny because it's true"

stay blessed,
habte selassie
What's funniest is that it isn't Bill Russel, it's Bill Simmons. Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3496 on: June 17, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »

Comeon thunder you got get goin!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3497 on: June 17, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »

Not tonight! Grin

Especially with the way LeBron, Dwyane, and the rest of the Heat were nailing their free throws. Looked like a regular free throw shooting clinic to me, and that's often what decides these close games.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:53:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3498 on: June 17, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »

OK, dude, pay up. There's no way now that OKC can win this series in 5.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3499 on: June 17, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »

Greetings in the Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Not tonight! Grin

I texted my row dawg in the 1st quarter, I said, "that's cool Thunder, play harder in the 1st half so you can get exhausted in the second."  That is exactly what happened.  OKC ran out of gas in the third quarter because they've had to come back from double digit deficits in the past 3 of 4 games.  Its Heat in 6.  OKC will blow out heat tomorrow by like 15 points, Heat will respond and win within a margin 3-5, and then win it it OKC.  If y'all didn't notice, LeBron had that look again Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3500 on: June 17, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3501 on: June 17, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3502 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13:12 PM »

OKC will blow out heat tomorrow by like 15 points,
Ain't no one going to win tomorrow night. Next game is Tuesday, dude.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3503 on: June 17, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »

Another game affected by a very controversial call late. That was an offensive foul committed by Lebron against James Hardin. It was great defense and should have been OKC's ball. The last game was affected by a no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds. Both calls were close and tough to make, but the replays showed they got it wrong both times. That's a shame. I think now it will be the Heat in five or six.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3504 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

Another game affected by a very controversial call late. That was an offensive foul committed by Lebron against James Hardin. It was great defense and should have been OKC's ball.
I don't know what replays you were watching, then, since it's pretty clear to me that Harden was still shuffling his feet when he took LeBron's shoulder into his chest and flopped. That was a blocking foul on Harden; therefore, the refs made the right call. (It was also a very stupid foul by Harden.)

The last game was affected by a no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds. Both calls were close and tough to make, but the replays showed they got it wrong both times. That's a shame. I think now it will be the Heat in five or six.
Why do you focus solely on the calls or no-calls that favored LeBron?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:00:53 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3505 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »

Sending Durant to the bench for significant stretches with foul trouble for the second game in a row also helped the Heat prevail in this one. When LeBron drives the lane, he forces Durant to foul him, which is another reason why LeBron needs to keep attacking the basket with drives through the lane.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3506 on: June 18, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

Another game affected by a very controversial call late. That was an offensive foul committed by Lebron against James Hardin. It was great defense and should have been OKC's ball. The last game was affected by a no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds. Both calls were close and tough to make, but the replays showed they got it wrong both times.

I've watched the first incident replays.  I'm not convinced it was a foul.  Not an NBA foul.

And I haven't seen the second, yet.  But it has always seemed to me that offensive fouls are called much less frequently in the NBA than in college ball, and that the defensive technique of quickly stepping in, getting set, and drawing a charge is pretty uncommon in the NBA. I don't watch much NBA, though.  Is this others' impression as well?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3507 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »

Let's be honest, can anyone truly trust the rulings in the NBA after Tim Donaghy?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #3508 on: June 18, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »

Another game affected by a very controversial call late. That was an offensive foul committed by Lebron against James Hardin. It was great defense and should have been OKC's ball. The last game was affected by a no call when Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds. Both calls were close and tough to make, but the replays showed they got it wrong both times.

I've watched the first incident replays.  I'm not convinced it was a foul.  Not an NBA foul.

And I haven't seen the second, yet.  But it has always seemed to me that offensive fouls are called much less frequently in the NBA than in college ball, and that the defensive technique of quickly stepping in, getting set, and drawing a charge is pretty uncommon in the NBA. I don't watch much NBA, though.  Is this others' impression as well?

They were both very close calls, so I can't get too upset about it. I just hate to see any game potentially affected by a bad call. That's one of the things I love about golf, the purity of it, and the integrity. No bad calls or poor officiating to affect things.

These are two great teams going at it, and I only wish to see it decided fairly. I'm not ascribing this to any conspiracies though, just two close calls that I believe were honestly missed. And it's too bad because they were two great games that I wish were not affected by missed calls at the end. At least this last one should have been a play on rather than a foul. I do think the NBA is more reluctant to call charges though.

I have a solution to these problems though. I think each coach should be allowed to question any call or no call once in each half. For example, they can throw a flag on the court at any time and have the officials review the play and make the right call. But only once in each half. So if the OKC coach thought Lebron fouled KD in the final seconds of the last game, he throws the flag and play stops. Then they go to the replay and make the correct call. I think this would be a good idea.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3509 on: June 18, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »

They were both very close calls, so I can't get too upset about it. I just hate to see any game potentially affected by a bad call. That's one of the things I love about golf, the purity of it, and the integrity. No bad calls or poor officiating to affect things.
Selam

Heh except the wind lol.

Now the Heat would be outcoached right now if it wasn't for Riley being more involved than he was. He doesn't want to lose the Finals again.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: