OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 404000 times) Average Rating: 5
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3330 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Hollinger
In 5

Hollinger is like a blasted NBA ouija board  Embarrassed

HAHA! First time I ever moded John Hollinger! That almost makes me feel better after I felt bad for seeing Tim Duncan look so sad Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:06:20 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3331 on: June 07, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

if i out in my true feelings for what just happened tonight with the kings, i would most surely get banned.

so, i shall do it in smilies

to the mods regarding all devils fans here

There no shame in a Gentlemen's sweep Wink
There is when you lose four straight games and the playoff series after winning the previous 20 and taking a 2-0 lead to start the series.

Yeah. how likely is that?
Well, my home team Portland Trail Blazers won their only NBA title in 1977 the way OKC just beat the Spurs. That was back when even the NBA Finals followed a 2-2-1-1-1 format. After sweeping the second pair at home to tie the series, Bill Walton and company went to Phillie and stole Game 5 from the heavily favored Sixers to set themselves up to clinch the title at home.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:17:09 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3332 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »

I love Portland (the town by the way, sorry but Blazers are a sick nemesis rival Wink ), one of my all time favorite places!!

There is a world of difference between an 0-2 deficit and an 0-3 deficit, especially considering just how remarkable the Kings play-off run has been.  The Spurs were swooning America, but the Jazz were hardly the first place team and the Clippers were exhausted and injured by what was perhaps one of the worst scheduling NBA history.. Kings on the other have come from the bottom and just blown away other teams.  They are more like the Thunder than the Spurs in this, and I see a Gentlemen's Sweep coming Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:20:02 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3333 on: June 07, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »

OKC wins!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3334 on: June 07, 2012, 04:49:17 AM »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3335 on: June 07, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »

John Hollinger

So, if 94.2% of teams up 2-0 advance, it means cumulative probability of OKC-Bos Finals was 0.3% -- that's 3-in-1,000 -- on Thursday.

Even though he was wrong about the Spurs-Thunder series, for the sake of the Heat I hope he is right Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3336 on: June 07, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »

John Hollinger

So, if 94.2% of teams up 2-0 advance, it means cumulative probability of OKC-Bos Finals was 0.3% -- that's 3-in-1,000 -- on Thursday.

Even though he was wrong about the Spurs-Thunder series, for the sake of the Heat I hope he is right Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Chris Bosh is back, which is good for the Heat, since they really need his big body going up against Kevin Garnett.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3337 on: June 07, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

Bosh was back last game and looked lost on defense. Hopefully, he will have his bearings straight today.

The money remains on Miami with the books showing them as 2.5-1.5 favorites.

Miami's lack of any sensible offense last was unforgivable. Let's hope that changes tonight. Penetrate and if you are going to go for the shot outside, let's have at least ONE Miami Jersey somewhere near the paint for the chance of an offensive rebound.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #3338 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »

Marty Brodeur at 40, baby! And the Devils remain unswept in 43 playoff series.
In other news, another shut-out for pitcher Brendan Morrow of the Blue Jays, giving him the MLB shut-out lead at 3 so far this season. Watch yo'self!
And OKC: WOOT!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:28:54 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3339 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »

The money remains on Miami with the books showing them as 2.5-1.5 favorites.
Wow really? I thought it was going to be closer to pick'em or even a slight Boston favorite. 2.5 for Miami seems really good.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3340 on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »

I like Kevin Durant, but in almost every picture I see of him playing, he's in the process of traveling (what used to be and still technically is a violation).

I know it's ultimately entertainment and a business that puts it on, but the drive towards more highlights ruined the game in my opinion.  There's my grouch comment for the day.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3341 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »

I like Kevin Durant, but in almost every picture I see of him playing, he's in the process of traveling (what used to be and still technically is a violation).

I know it's ultimately entertainment and a business that puts it on, but the drive towards more highlights ruined the game in my opinion.  There's my grouch comment for the day.

Maybe Michael "3-step" Jordan could give him some tips Wink

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3342 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »

This is going to be disastrous for the Heat tonight. It's because Spo is that bad of a coach.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3343 on: June 07, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »

Spolestra says Bosh will play big minutes

He also says he will match up Bosh with KG

KG is starting

Bosh is not starting

I do not understand

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3344 on: June 07, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

Spolestra says Bosh will play big minutes

He also says he will match up Bosh with KG

KG is starting

Bosh is not starting

I do not understand

KJ and Hondo are gonna come up big...

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3345 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

Lebron is just unbelievable tonight.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3346 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »

Those glasses (as seen in your avatar)... Van Gundy had them on pre game... amazing and profound...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3347 on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »

Those glasses (as seen in your avatar)... Van Gundy had them on pre game... amazing and profound...
Often imitated but never duplicated!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3348 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »

Chris Tucker got fat. O_O

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3349 on: June 07, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »

LeBron James is shockingly still the best player in the world.

This is insane.

And he's posting up. Game over Celtics, wow I can't believe how wrong I was. Doc Rivers again must follow his tradition in stretching this to 7 Games.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:41:15 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3350 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »

OMGGGGOSH Lebron silenced the crowd O_O
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:42:27 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3351 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »

LeBron is not human

30 points 1st half.

EDIT: How is this still only an 11 point lead??
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:46:49 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3352 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »

17/22

41 pts

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3353 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior jesus Christ!
LeBron James is shockingly still the best player in the world.

This is insane.

And he's posting up. Game over Celtics, wow I can't believe how wrong I was. Doc Rivers again must follow his tradition in stretching this to 7 Games.

Is that LeBron c-walking?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3354 on: June 07, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »

I have no idea but its hilarious.

Boston so old the rim has eroded and decayed into nothing so it's impossible to make a shot. Or maybe theres cobwebs up there because they cant jump high enough anymore

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3355 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »

45 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals.. the first time in the play-offs since 1964 with Wilt Chamberlain!  So against Indiana LeBron resurrected 1961 Elgin Baylor, and now he brings out some Wilt game! The fans in TD Garden came in thinking they were going to get a banner tonight.  Like the ans in San Antonio, they must feel a bit disappointed, all the more with James putting up a once in a life-time performance (and its not his first like this in these play-offs!!)  Also, he has extended his hold over a post-season scoring record at the Garden, he now has five 35 plus point games at Boston, an all-time high for ANY PLAYER in that Arena.  Paul Pierce has three..

Saturday is going to be insane.  You know to think, Lebron put up a performance that hadn't been seen since 1964, and I didn't even watch it because I was so nervous coming into it. Oh, I knew we could win, but I was haunted by visions of 2010 and 2011, and just couldn't take it.  I chose to keep celebrating my Thunder. Celtics are going to bring it on Saturday.  In Game 7 of their Finals against the Lakers, Rondo took it literally to the buzzer, and I expect the same thing.  Its gonna be ruff!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3356 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »

But seriously, that Boston jerk-piece-of-dog-crap needs to get arrested for throwing crap at LeBron. That is absolutely despicable and I hope they find that jerk.
EDIT: Edited to remove censorship and make it more Oc.net comfortable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:21:08 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3357 on: June 07, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior jesus Christ!

But seriously, that Boston .... needs to get arrested for throwing crap at LeBron. That is absolutely despicable and I hope they find . ..

That is alright, as in the past, Lebron (much like Blake Griffin) chooses to let his game do the talking.  All the Lebron hate is so silly.  Has he ever been arrested for domestic violence? Accused of rape or even infidelity? Insulted his team mates or coach in the media?  Shot off a gun in a club? Been caught up in gambling? Get in bar fights? No.  Even tonight, after a stellar performance, he was as humble as Kevin Durant and said, "we're not going to celebrate this win, we had to get this one."

I got into LeBron years ago because I liked his attitude, and I loved his game.  He continues to impress me, even after the whole "Decision" debacle, but what else could he have done? People forget that in the week before he released that statement, there were media camped out in front of his house doing live morning news gossiping about it.  Lebron didn't pump that up, it was already pumped up, and he gave Cleveland about 3 more years than any other player of his callaber would have.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:28:27 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3358 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »

But seriously, that Boston .... needs to get arrested for throwing crap at LeBron. That is absolutely despicable and I hope they find . ..

That is alright, as in the past, Lebron (much like Blake Griffin) chooses to let his game do the talking.  All the Lebron hate is so silly.  Has he ever been arrested for domestic violence? Accused of rape or even infidelity? Insulted his team mates or coach in the media?  Shot off a gun in a club? Been caught up in gambling? Get in bar fights? No.  Even tonight, after a stellar performance, he was as humble as Kevin Durant and said, "we're not going to celebrate this win, we had to get this one."

I got into LeBron years ago because I liked his attitude, and I loved his game.  He continues to impress me, even after the whole "Decision" debacle, but what else could he have done? People forget that in the week before he released that statement, there were media camped out in front of his house doing live morning news gossiping about it.  Lebron didn't pump that up, it was already pumped up, and he gave Cleveland about 3 more years than any other player of his callaber would have.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Exactly. Literally, the only complaint about him that I can muster is that he passes too much, or doesn't try to individually take over the game often enough (and this is a real complaint... it hurts his teams a lot of times). But he really seems like a good guy and a better basketball player. When he plays all out, there's no one more fun to watch.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3359 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »

When he plays all out...

That's the problem with Lebron and just about every other player in the NBA today. That's why I don't really give a darn about any of it. Those words could never be spoken of about Michael Jordan, "when he plays all out..." But today it's become quite acceptable for professional athletes to simply play hard when they feel like it. And these idiot fans still pay their hard earned money to enable such sorriness. Not me. But to each his own.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3360 on: June 08, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »

When he plays all out...

That's the problem with Lebron and just about every other player in the NBA today. That's why I don't really give a darn about any of it. Those words could never be spoken of about Michael Jordan, "when he plays all out..." But today it's become quite acceptable for professional athletes to simply play hard when they feel like it. And these idiot fans still pay their hard earned money to enable such sorriness. Not me. But to each his own.
Still worshiping Michael Jordan?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3361 on: June 08, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »

When he plays all out...

Selam

Its an over-hyped criticism from fair weather and bandwagon fans.  If you actually check the stats on the games where he supposedly "choked" he either has great numbers all around or had the kind of numbers that show fatigue at the end or had a lot of intangible defensive effort. What do people expect, the brother to put up once in a generation games like tonight every single game?? Seriously? Simply put, you can't win them all, especially if you like to play 45 minutes and score 45 points just about one game each series in the post season in your career Wink

Kobe Bryant has missed 79 game-winning or tying shots in his career, where the scrutiny to him?  In the play-offs Lebron is actually 5 for 14 in his career, which is 9 points of above the NBA average of 27%..

hype has ruined Lebron. It is ruining Chris Paul.  It ruined Kobe.  Let us hope it doesn't ruin Blake Griffin..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:31:15 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3362 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:20 AM »

hype has ruined Lebron. It is ruining Chris Paul.  It ruined Kobe.  Let us hope it doesn't ruin Blake Griffin..
Yep, but see that's just how the league is though. It's all about the superstars and pumping up hype. It's not about the teams IMO.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3363 on: June 08, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »

Ironically I think it didn't ruin Shaq..

By the way, y'al realize that KD is the next Jordan right? He scores, and now he has learned to defend.  Its over.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3364 on: June 08, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »

By the way, y'al realize that KD is the next Jordan right? He scores, and now he has learned to defend.  Its over.

lol you would say this when he is only 23

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3365 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

When he plays all out...

Selam

Its an over-hyped criticism from fair weather and bandwagon fans.  If you actually check the stats on the games where he supposedly "choked" he either has great numbers all around or had the kind of numbers that show fatigue at the end or had a lot of intangible defensive effort. What do people expect, the brother to put up once in a generation games like tonight every single game?? Seriously? Simply put, you can't win them all, especially if you like to play 45 minutes and score 45 points just about one game each series in the post season in your career Wink

Kobe Bryant has missed 79 game-winning or tying shots in his career, where the scrutiny to him?  In the play-offs Lebron is actually 5 for 14 in his career, which is 10 points of above the NBA average of 27%..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But the thing is, Lebron is putting up his stats in a league that is much softer than the league Jordan played in during his prime. The Pistons slammed Jordan to the deck every time he came through the lane, but when Lebron comes into the paint people step aside. At best, somebody might grab his arm. Of course, I realize that league rules have prohibited flagrant fouls, which I think is a good thing. But the fact is that Jordan's league was much rougher than the league today. That's not the fault of today's players, but it is their fault for not giving 100% at all times, especially considering how much money they make. But like I said, the fans enable it, so it's a symbiotic culpability.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3366 on: June 08, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »

When he plays all out...

Still worshiping Michael Jordan?

I worship Christ brother. And I ain't gonna rehash this argument.  Wink

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3367 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:48 AM »

Yep, but see that's just how the league is though. It's all about the superstars and pumping up hype. It's not about the teams IMO.

and what sucks is it ruined what sports used to be for kids as a motivator, an honest inspiration for team spirit, community building, and work ethic.  Now its about making the newspapers and gossip circles.  Sports also teaches to accept the realities of defeat with good spirits for having made a good effort.  Sports is like, life you can't win them all, and how you handle loss is all the more important than how you deal with success.  Sports symbolize our lives, and help us like literature to deal with it.  However, today, it is losing that appeal, and becoming the kind of garbage that Saint Augustine warned us about at the race circuits Wink

With the humble OKC heading to the Finals there is a bit of redemption.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3368 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »

But the thing is, Lebron is putting up his stats in a league that is much softer than the league Jordan played in during his prime.
Selam
But Jordan didn't need to carry his team like Lebron has to.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3369 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »

When he plays all out...

Selam

Kobe Bryant has missed 79 game-winning or tying shots in his career, where the scrutiny to him?  In the play-offs Lebron is actually 5 for 14 in his career, which is 10 points of above the NBA average of 27%..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But the thing is, Lebron is putting up his stats in a league that is much softer than the league Jordan played in during his prime. The Pistons slammed Jordan to the deck every time he came through the lane, but when Lebron comes into the paint people step aside. At best, somebody might grab his arm.

Selam

Dude are you crazy? Did you see what the Pacers did to Haslem? Or Wade? Or when they straight elbowed Lebron in the head? Or when the Knicks pushed him in the back during a duck throwing him to the ground? Get over it bro, if anything, with the extreme athleticism of today, the NBA is stronger, tougher, and more physical than it ever has been.  LeBron James and Dwight Howard have the bodies of NFL line men.  When did Jordan or even Kareem deal with that? 1960s NBA was soft, and that is why we have the Elgin Baylors, Bill Russels, and Wilt Chamberlains, but it is no coincidence that today Lebron matches and exceeds the production of those legends.  I loved the 1990s too, hey I still wear my chucks folded with fat laces and my ball cap tipped to the eastside, but the 90s were the 90s, and the 2012 Dreamteam is every much as miraculous as the original.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3370 on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »

When he plays all out...

Selam

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But the thing is, Lebron is putting up his stats in a league that is much softer than the league Jordan played in during his prime. The Pistons slammed Jordan to the deck every time he came through the lane, but when Lebron comes into the paint people step aside. At best, somebody might grab his arm. Of course, I realize that league rules have prohibited flagrant fouls, which I think is a good thing. But the fact is that Jordan's league was much rougher than the league today.
That may have been true only until after the Bulls completed their first three-peat. After Jordan's return from his first retirement, expansion had, by diluting the talent pool, made the league a lot softer, thus making the Bulls' opponents easier to beat. The balance of power had also shifted from the Eastern Conference firmly to the West, with the Bulls being the only Eastern Conference team good enough to win the NBA title in the ten-year span starting with 1994 and ending with 2003. It's no surprise the Bulls averaged 70+ wins over their 1995-96 and 96-97 seasons, considering how weak their conference was otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:47:31 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3371 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:30 AM »

You know how Peter cites Johnson as the greatest all round player? I'd love to own a jersey of his if he wasn't on the Lakers. If he was on the Sonics, oh yeah baby.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3372 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:55 AM »

Y'all enjoy your NBA.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3373 on: June 08, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »

Y'all enjoy your NBA.
So you're taking your ball and going home 'cuz you can't stand having your nostalgia bubble popped?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:49:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3374 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »

and what sucks is it ruined what sports used to be for kids as a motivator, an honest inspiration for team spirit, community building, and work ethic.  Now its about making the newspapers and gossip circles.  Sports also teaches to accept the realities of defeat with good spirits for having made a good effort.  Sports is like, life you can't win them all, and how you handle loss is all the more important than how you deal with success.  Sports symbolize our lives, and help us like literature to deal with it.  However, today, it is losing that appeal, and becoming the kind of garbage that Saint Augustine warned us about at the race circuits Wink

With the humble OKC heading to the Finals there is a bit of redemption.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Yes, the postgame wrap up I had to endure while trying to get out of where I watching the game basically was this:

Why can't Lebron be a superhuman every night?

The thing is, he pretty much is.

It gets to be a bit much.

Great game. Lebron came in with a literal game face and the right attitude. Let's hope he carries that into the next five.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: