OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:49:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 437943 times) Average Rating: 5
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3105 on: April 26, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

John Hollinger of ESPN, not surprisingly considering this brother literally has a basketball IQ in the vein of Sir Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawkings, had a brilliant suggestion this morning on ESPN.COM.  Since Carmelo Anthony has just exploded at the power forward position in Stoudemire's absence and also simply not at the small forward (in Hollinger terms, Melo has a 28.9 PER rating at the PF, and meh 16.1 at the SF) whereas Amare has not synced enough this season to carry the team.  Further, the Knicks have been far more explosive offensively when they play small with Smith and Novak doing mutual James Harden/Lamar Odom level damage from the bench (I predicted this when Smith quietly came over during Linsanity, he is a gem of talent and Novak leads the league in both 3s and also 3pt%) so Goodson should really use that more than they have been.  Great point.  The real genius though? Hollinger suggests that Amare should play center from the bench for Chandler because that is the achiles heal of the Knicks bench, and it showed with the sans-CP3 Clippers surging on a 14-0 run in the mid-fourth quarter last night to almost get the win until Chandler calmly came back in in the final 3 minutes to shut them down with his stunning defence.   I was always digging Amare in Phoenix and he used to mix between Center and Forward and played expectionally well as a center, almost looked as good as Shaq sometimes! I think if Amare is humble enough to except the limitations of his injured season, notice that the smalls and Melo are hot where they are, and that he has that unique talent at center which is what the Knicks need, that he takes that role.  I think if the Knicks follow Hollinger's advice, they can advance into the second round at least!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3106 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

I am now dealing with the fact that it will be kind of weird when the Nets and the Knicks are crosstown rivals. I grew up a Knicks fan. Don't know how I'm going to feel about the new situation.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3107 on: April 27, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Scott (Winona)

Who's the 2 seed more likely to be upset, Miami or OKC? Knicks are legit and Dallas is the defending champs?

John Hollinger
  (3:11 PM)

I'd say Miami, just becase the Knicks at this point appear to be a much better team than Dallas. I'm very interested to see how many minutes Melo plays at the 4; New York is dramatically better when they space the floor with the Novak-Smith types and play smaller, but the Knicks have so much money tied up in Melo-Amare that I'm not sure they're willing to commit to playing that way.
ESPN.COM

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:21:56 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3108 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

Scott (Winona)

Who's the 2 seed more likely to be upset, Miami or OKC? Knicks are legit and Dallas is the defending champs?

John Hollinger
  (3:11 PM)

I'd say Miami, just becase the Knicks at this point appear to be a much better team than Dallas. I'm very interested to see how many minutes Melo plays at the 4; New York is dramatically better when they space the floor with the Novak-Smith types and play smaller, but the Knicks have so much money tied up in Melo-Amare that I'm not sure they're willing to commit to playing that way.
ESPN.COM

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Knicks need to follow Hollinger's advice.  Stoudemire played the 4 most of the night and they got embarrassingly blown out, even by Heat standards.  That's the crucial readjustment which will make or break the Knicks post-season, and indeed next season too.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3109 on: April 30, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »

The Clippers

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3110 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »

The Clippers

LeBron was clowning, Durant was clutch, Bynum was a defensive monster, but the Clippers as an entire team are REAL DEAL Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3111 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »

I don't know about that. But that 27pt stretch was impressive.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3112 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:17 PM »

I don't know about that. But that 27pt stretch was impressive.

Are they real enough to contend for a championship? Hardly.  But have they absolutely embarrassed all criticisms against them by consistently defying all expectations time and time again.  Even I am ridiculously impressed, and I've been rooting for the Clips since the Kaman days..

When Billups was injured, everybody flinched except for the team themselves.  When they had some fatigue from playing the most games in March in NBA history, everybody scoffed except for the team themselves.  They came back from the All-Star break explosively.  When it looked like Del Negro was out, everybody dismissed him except for the team themselves, who rallied behind their coach quite literally.  And when it looked like they were going to get blown out in their first play-off game in years, not only did expectingly CP3 and Blake step up, but so did all the essential role players.  That is real deal.  Clips have survived anything the NBA could throw at them, and will be a rising threat in the league like OKC and Memphis before them..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3113 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »

Seau family to allow concussion study of brain

The family of Junior Seau will allow researchers to study his brain for signs of damage caused by concussions suffered during his 20-year NFL career, according to Chargers team chaplain Shawn Mitchell.

The San Diego County medical examiner ruled Seau's death a suicide Thursday, a day after the former linebacker was found at his home with a gunshot wound to the chest.

"The family was considering this almost from the beginning, but they didn't want to make any emotional decisions," Mitchell told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday night. "And when they came to a joint decision that absolutely this was the best thing, it was a natural occurrence for the Seau family to go forward."...

Large Marge sent me...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3114 on: May 04, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »

Poor Knicks.  There are realistically two different Knicks teams battling for control of their on-court approach.  The Stoudemire Knicks were pick-and-roll monsters under the D'Antoni system and their key role players from that phenomenal team were sent to Denver.  The newer Knicks are a half-court and perimeter shooting team with Novak/JR Smith and Carmelo making big shots and going for a lot of points, but not a lot of IQ basketball or fast-break style.  The Stoudemire Knicks were about pin-point defense and guarding the basket from the forward position, the Chandler Knicks are about smothering double teams and clogging the lane for blocks and rebounds.  These are simply two different teams that can never gel.  Stoudemire and Melo could surely play well together, but not if they are playing on essentially two different teams and strategies.  So the best deal, would be to trade one or the other.  In all honesty, Stoudemire was more explosive to the Knicks last season than Melo has ever been, and Amare has a better career record of wins and contributions both in the season and especially the post-season where Melo is simply born to lose with a sub .500 record.  I say, keep Amare and send Melo packing.  If Amara has to go anywhere, I guess they could just send him back to Denver or Phoenix.  Then again, maybe he could also follow Nash?  Either way, one or the other has to go, and as a Stoudemire fan and considering what he has done for that team since he came and brought them back from the brink of the NBA graveyard, I say that Melo is the real cancer and he should go.

Oh, yeah, and I am so utterly pleased to be saying, "peace out Mavs." Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3115 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

Hawks anyone??

I know they arent going to last much longer, but I want another team from ATL to win something so bad!! (except Ga Tech....)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3116 on: May 04, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »

Poor Knicks.  There are realistically two different Knicks teams battling for control of their on-court approach.  The Stoudemire Knicks were pick-and-roll monsters under the D'Antoni system and their key role players from that phenomenal team were sent to Denver.  The newer Knicks are a half-court and perimeter shooting team with Novak/JR Smith and Carmelo making big shots and going for a lot of points, but not a lot of IQ basketball or fast-break style.  The Stoudemire Knicks were about pin-point defense and guarding the basket from the forward position, the Chandler Knicks are about smothering double teams and clogging the lane for blocks and rebounds.  These are simply two different teams that can never gel.  Stoudemire and Melo could surely play well together, but not if they are playing on essentially two different teams and strategies.  So the best deal, would be to trade one or the other.  In all honesty, Stoudemire was more explosive to the Knicks last season than Melo has ever been, and Amare has a better career record of wins and contributions both in the season and especially the post-season where Melo is simply born to lose with a sub .500 record.  I say, keep Amare and send Melo packing.  If Amara has to go anywhere, I guess they could just send him back to Denver or Phoenix.  Then again, maybe he could also follow Nash?  Either way, one or the other has to go, and as a Stoudemire fan and considering what he has done for that team since he came and brought them back from the brink of the NBA graveyard, I say that Melo is the real cancer and he should go.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I've got to admit, that's true.  Undecided
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3117 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I've got to admit, that's true.  Undecided

I hate to be saying it.  I been wondering what's been the problem all season.  It wasn't a lack of guards regardless of what Linsanity suggested.  It wasn't a lack of talent, or bench, or defense.  It wasn't even D'Antoni.  It seems now quite clear that it has and always will be Carmelo Anthony.  Stoudemire in Game 2, even with less points, had  51% shooting and 8 rebounds in much less minutes and he took literally a third the number of shots that Anthony took (in other words, Amare was coming back into his career average and further he was hotter than Melo and so if he was given more shots would have easily scored more).  Melo was part of why Knicks sent Billups packing, Melo is why there was tension in the locker room, Melo is who caused the friction with D'Antoni, and Melo is the one who changed the entire format of what the Knicks had been doing the past few years.  If the Knicks want to commit to Melo's style and keep him, they risk further drama, after all who is next on Anthony's hit list, Lin? Novak? Players like that are no good.  Amare for all the recent drama, has been a positive presence in that locker room like he was in phoenix before that.  I vote keep Amare, but honestly, he came for D'Antoni, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does want to leave.  In that regard, Carmelo Anthony ruined the Knicks, however he did seem to seriously pick up the Clippers and  the Nuggets Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3118 on: May 05, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and savior Jesus Christ!

The Clippers

LeBron was clowning, Durant was clutch, Bynum was a defensive monster, but the Clippers as an entire team are REAL DEAL Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

what a game!  to the straight end at both halves!! Grizzlies are a hungry, gritty team and they sure hang in there, but they may just be doomed to become the next Hawks or Suns, the team that hates on other teams chances but can never themselves advance..  

How real deal are the Clippers?  Check this buzzer beating dunk by Blake Griffin  at the end of the first half.. Memphis inbounds it with under 3 seconds to play and Blake gets the steal and drives for the in your face dunk!! In the big picture, that was a game making play, because Grizzlies had those clutch 3s at the end and Clips won by a single point.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:40:43 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3119 on: May 07, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »

Hawks anyone??

I know they arent going to last much longer, but I want another team from ATL to win something so bad!! (except Ga Tech....)

Why you hatin' on the Yellow Jackets? You must be a Dawg fan, in which case you can't really claim any ATL teams.  Wink

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3120 on: May 07, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »

Hawks anyone??

Why you hatin' on the Yellow Jackets? You must be a Dawg fan, in which case you can't really claim any ATL teams.  Wink

Selam

I am a Dawgs fan, but grew up in ATL. So I CAN and WILL claim all the other ATL teams. Ha!

Im really not a huge basketball fan, but I always pull for the Hawks.  Like I said, I just want a team from ATL to win a championship.  Preferably the Braves or Falcons, but the Hawks will do too.  (although its not looking good now.  Not sure it ever did.)

Heck, in all honestly, Id probably be ok with Tech winning a championship to bring a little bit of pride back to the city.  But we all know the chances of that arent very likely.  The SEC runs the show.  And even if Tech did win a title, they would probably just get it taken away like the last one they won...  Smiley

Edit: And by 'title' i mean the ACC championship.  But I bet a AAAA high school division would be harder to win than the ACC...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:50:02 AM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3121 on: May 07, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »

Jeremy Lin; How The Christian Basketball Star Deals With Temptations

"And what about the temptations?" I asked. "I imagine one of the difficulties about playing in the NBA is all the women who hang around the hotel rooms and all the people who try to talk to you and that type of thing."

"Yes, I think that's definitely true, but it wasn't really an issue for me because I didn't go out very much. And then there were guys on my team I hung out with, and we had a different lifestyle, so it wasn't a huge issue. It's definitely out there if you want it, but I chose to take it out of play. Once you take a stand for something at the beginning, everybody respects that, and they don't bother you about it."

Jeremy said his parents brought him up in a Christian home and taught him what it means to be a believer. "But the thing I appreciate most about them is they don't judge my basketball performance on how I do individually in terms of statistics," he said in an interview with studentsoul.org when he was at Harvard. "They make sure I have the right attitude, that I don't yell at my teammates or the refs and that I'm always under control. They make sure I have a godly attitude and when I don't, they call me out on it and make me accountable."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3122 on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »

Preferably the Falcons, but the Hawks will do too.  (although its not looking good now.  Not sure it ever did.)

We lookin exceptionally good this coming season considering we're squeaky clean and those crooked "Saints" are getting their come upings.  Now as to the Hawks, I also always have rooted for them, but they are realistically a team full of role players and the closest thing they go to true All-Star level player (Josh Smith) just lost his knee.

Speaking of knees, did any else see the terrifying kneecap injury that poor Baron Davis suffered? It was so horrifying to witness, that I will resist the temptation to post a pic or a youtube link here on the forum Sad  The entire arena hushed in shock, and all the players on the court grimaced.  I seen some seriously wicked injuries in basketball and football, but that was some ugly (insert forbidden expletive).  On the plus side, it was a great game, and Woodson finally took Hollinger's advice and put Amare at the 5 where he thrives better than at the 3.  Congrats to Amare for a great return.  He played well and we well received by the home crowd who spent the night instead mercilessly booing LeBron who while has remained the biggest villain in the NBA, 99% of people I hear complaining say these exact words, "I HATE LeBron James, but I got to give it up to his game, he is the best player right now." 

About college sports, I know what you mean, aside from brother Gebre Menfes Kidus' admiration for it, I think college is for classes and don't really consider national level college athletics to be nothing more than a Ponzi scheme so it can't compare to when the home town takes the championship. I was at the last Laker parade and it was one of the greatest days for LA I had  ever seen, so many people and not even a single gang fight, we only have a sense of pan-LA community when we riot or win a championship (or both at the same time).  I grew up both in Showtime era Los Angeles when the Dodgers had a World Series and then the Gretzky run for the Kings, and then of course we've had a few more championships since then;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3123 on: May 07, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Haha, I was trolling stat sheets of Anthony and Stoudemire on friday which is when I discovered Melo's abysmal play-off record compared to Amare's fairly good play-off record.  Writers as ESPN.com also noticed and mentioned this today..

Melo entered Game 4 with a 16-36 record in the playoffs, the worst percentage (.308) in NBA history. He'd already been a seven-time loser in the first round. He'd already worn his 0-7 postseason record as a Knick like a scarlet letter.
espn.com

I knew it was bad, not the worst in NBA history! All the more reasons that if it comes down to either Amare or Melo, Knicks should go with consistency and potential.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3124 on: May 07, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »

College Sports, I agree, needs to be removed completely. Even High School Sports needs to be removed as well, I think there is a devestating impact on education because of the funding that goes into sports rather than the actual education.

You know it's bad when my school had to run a bake sale to get new textbooks but the football team gets brand new lockers that same year.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3125 on: May 07, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »

College Sports, I agree, needs to be removed completely. Even High School Sports needs to be removed as well, I think there is a devestating impact on education because of the funding that goes into sports rather than the actual education.

You know it's bad when my school had to run a bake sale to get new textbooks but the football team gets brand new lockers that same year.
In principle, I have no problem with schools having sports to raise money for their academic programs. Plenty of prominent research universities, like Penn State and OSU, wouldn't be able to do what they do without the money they bring in from sports. Of course, mismanagement like what you've described above makes me question the net benefit of the whole thing.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3126 on: May 07, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

Athletics are cool, but not Division 1 level, and not those high school feeder programs which over-emphasize the national level competition.  College athletics are meant to be opportunities for students to pursue their interests and talents in sports, make friends, join teams, and stay in shape.  They were never intended to be either feeder systems for the professional sports neither a competition for audience-share.  Today, Division 1 athletics have become counter-productive to what college sports are about! People at big-time schools don't ever think to join up teams unless they are coming in at a professional level..  They are intimidated.  Same with high school.  It is meant to give an opportunity for athletically inclined students to have an outlet for their talents.  For kids to make friends, learn from experience team-working skills, and have a bit of school spirit and sense of accomplishment that is not strictly in the classroom.  But at highly competitive schools, unless you are LeBron James level (I'm talking about when he was a high school phenom, not his current level) kids are intimidated from joining up.  Again, counter-productive.

This system are like trolls, they only thrive on attention.  When we feed Division 1, we contribute to the problem.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3127 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but don't most schools get their athletic funds from boosters and not from the school's budget?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3128 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but don't most schools get their athletic funds from boosters and not from the school's budget?

Only the top few elite school's athletic funds come from boosters.  At the California State University system, a public university with dozens of Division 1, the two largest sources of funding for the annual athletics department budget is the general budget and also accounts from various fees tacked onto tuition to every student. True private donors and ticket sales contribute, but these are not the bulk in smaller market schools which still both provide professional level facilities to train their athletes and also field teams to compete nationally with the top-tier teams.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:13:57 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3129 on: May 08, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »

Congratulations to Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, who became today the 16th MLB player ever to hit four home runs in a game. His double in the 5th inning also gave him an AL record 18 total bases.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7907243/josh-hamilton-texas-rangers-hits-four-2-run-hrs-baltimore-orioles
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:35:28 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3130 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »

HAWKS aint done yet!!!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3131 on: May 10, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
LeBron James had 29 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists -- all team highs -- in the Miami Heat's series-clinching win over the New York Knicks on Wednesday night. It was the 20th time in his pro career that James led his team outright in points, rebounds and assists in a playoff game. That's by far the highest such total for any player in NBA history. In fact, the only other players who did that in at least 10 games are Larry Bird (13) and Tim Duncan (11).
ESPN.com

yet another instance of LeBron's beastly athleticism.  What LeBron lacks in championships, he makes up for in sheer attack at the stat sheets.  For all his greatness, Jordan doesn't have 1/6th of the career double-doubles which James has already accumulated thus far, indeed LeBron has already taken Jordan's career tripple-doubles (28) since he has 32, including matching Jordan with a rare tripple-double in the Finals!  At this pace, James is sure to become one of the greatest basketball players statistically to touch the court, only the likes of Kareem or Chamberlain will survive! ..and remember y'all, it took Wilt ELEVEN years to get his FIRST championship, and another five to get only his second.  The number of rings isn't everything, its about the skill, style, and basketball IQ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:27:58 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3132 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
LeBron James had 29 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists -- all team highs -- in the Miami Heat's series-clinching win over the New York Knicks on Wednesday night. It was the 20th time in his pro career that James led his team outright in points, rebounds and assists in a playoff game. That's by far the highest such total for any player in NBA history. In fact, the only other players who did that in at least 10 games are Larry Bird (13) and Tim Duncan (11).
ESPN.com

yet another instance of LeBron's beastly athleticism.  What LeBron lacks in championships, he makes up for in sheer attack at the stat sheets.  For all his greatness, Jordan doesn't have 1/6th of the career double-doubles which James has already accumulated thus far, indeed LeBron has already taken Jordan's career tripple-doubles (28) since he has 32, including matching Jordan with a rare tripple-double in the Finals!  At this pace, James is sure to become one of the greatest basketball players statistically to touch the court, only the likes of Kareem or Chamberlain will survive! ..and remember y'all, it took Wilt ELEVEN years to get his FIRST championship, and another five to get only his second.  The number of rings isn't everything, its about the skill, style, and basketball IQ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Indeed! Steve Kerr won 5 NBA titles with two different teams, including two consecutive with those two different teams (1998 with the Bulls & 1999 with the Spurs), yet he will be remembed as little more than a deadeye outside shooter who was lucky enough to play alongside some of the all time greatest players (Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, et al.).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3133 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
ESPN.com

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Indeed! Steve Kerr won 5 NBA titles with two different teams, including two consecutive with those two different teams (1998 with the Bulls & 1999 with the Spurs), yet he will be remembed as little more than a deadeye outside shooter who was lucky enough to play alongside some of the all time greatest players (Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, et al.).
I know what you mean.  Rings rings rings.. blah blah blah.  Then what about John Stockton, whose all-time career assists will simply be as unapproachable as Kareem's all-time career points list..

About Kerr, he was a bit more productive then just being "lucky enough" but I agree with you completely.  When kids in my classes quote Kobe rings to me, I kindly remind them that Big Shot Rob Horry has SEVEN.  Luke Walton has TWO from the bench!!  The best play he had in the 2010  ring was getting tossed by Westbrook Wink

and did anyone see that intense finish to the Bulls-Sixers series? Such a clutch miss for Omer, and such a clutch drive for Iguodala!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3134 on: May 11, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

Wade added another two blocks to his name on Wednesday, and he had one of the best shot-blocking campaigns of his career, swatting 1.3 shots per game despite battling an assortment of minor leg injuries and playing a career-low 33.2 minutes per game.

How remarkable is that?

Consider the following. Wade blocked more than four times as many shots as the average shooting guard (0.3 blocks per game). On a per-minute basis, he blocked shots more often than Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge and, yes, Chris Bosh and LeBron James, too. Said another way, you could tally up all the combined blocked shots by reputable defenders Tony Allen, Kobe Bryant and Avery Bradley this season -- and they still wouldn’t have more blocks than Wade this season.

Historically, we have no precedent. Wade is the only guard in NBA history to average a block per game over his career. The late Reggie Lewis trails Wade with a 0.9 blocked shot average and ranks second all-time. Other known shot-blockers such as George Gervin, Michael Jordan, David Thompson and Vince Carter all look up at Wade in the blocks category.

So Wade and Ibaka be blowin it up on the blocks, but I never realized it was record-setting potential.

"He's the one guy that I can rely on night in and night out to compete and play hard and play with that sense of urgency and no fear," Bryant said of World Peace. "I'm looking forward to having that by my side again."
ESPN.com

wow.  I never thought I'd hear that!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:20:18 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3135 on: May 12, 2012, 01:07:33 AM »

Wade added another two blocks to his name on Wednesday, and he had one of the best shot-blocking campaigns of his career, swatting 1.3 shots per game despite battling an assortment of minor leg injuries and playing a career-low 33.2 minutes per game.

How remarkable is that?

Consider the following. Wade blocked more than four times as many shots as the average shooting guard (0.3 blocks per game). On a per-minute basis, he blocked shots more often than Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge and, yes, Chris Bosh and LeBron James, too. Said another way, you could tally up all the combined blocked shots by reputable defenders Tony Allen, Kobe Bryant and Avery Bradley this season -- and they still wouldn’t have more blocks than Wade this season.

Historically, we have no precedent. Wade is the only guard in NBA history to average a block per game over his career. The late Reggie Lewis trails Wade with a 0.9 blocked shot average and ranks second all-time. Other known shot-blockers such as George Gervin, Michael Jordan, David Thompson and Vince Carter all look up at Wade in the blocks category.

So Wade and Ibaka be blowin it up on the blocks, but I never realized it was record-setting potential.
Well, I suppose if a center (Wilt Chamberlain) can lead the league in assists, a shooting guard can come close to leading the league in blocked shots.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3136 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:24 AM »

James is getting the MVP again. He should have had 4.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3137 on: May 12, 2012, 01:16:51 AM »

Aww, quit'cher whinin'! He won three, didn't he?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3138 on: May 12, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »

I think it's three this year.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3139 on: May 12, 2012, 01:29:59 AM »

Aww, quit'cher whinin'! He won three, didn't he?

Yes, and that is the same as Magic and Bird, a few more to catch up with Wilt, Bill Russell, MJ, and Kareem (with 6 which much like his all-time scoring record is perhaps simply unbeatable)

About the Clippers loss.. well it hurts, that's true, and it was close, like every single game any team seems to play with the Grizzlies.  These re the same seven heart attacks that Memphis gave my Thunder last season  Undecided  However, it was not a bad loss.  Injured, down most of the game, and with a completely underestimated bench, the Clippers managed to take it to the buzzer and be down only 2.  The bench stepped up well beyond belief, and as ugly as it was, it was a good loss and while its going to be intense for Clippers to have to go to Memphis, if they can't do it there, they really don't deserve the series anyways.  After all, Grizzlies came to LA and saved their behinds, I give them credit,  but I also am just sick of having me pulse  quickened by this team!!

From Elias: The Grizzlies turned the ball over 22 times in their win Friday night, 15 more than the Clippers (7). According to Elias, it's the largest turnover margin overcome to win a postseason game. Team turnovers were first compiled on official box scores in 1970-71. The previous record was held by the Lakers, who overcame a negative 14-turnover margin in a 120-116 at the Nuggets on May 19, 1985.
The Grizzlies recorded just their 3rd ever playoff road win - improving to 3-13 all-time.
ESPN.com

stay blessed,
habte selassie
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:43:54 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3140 on: May 12, 2012, 01:35:12 AM »

I think it's three this year.
Yeah, I know that. Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3141 on: May 12, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
ESPN.com

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Double-double is a pretty useless stat, especially when comparing a guard to a forward.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3142 on: May 12, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »

Coach Paul Bear Bryant's Letter to Incoming Freshmen:

You will be expected to report for football practice August 17. We will expect you to arrive in the afternoon and our first meal will be served that evening at the dorm.

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer’s Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I am expecting you to report in top physical condition, clean-cut, smiling, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and raring to go. Also, I am expecting you to be prepared to run, hit, pitch, kick, catch, sweat, smell and enjoy it. There are no easy ways but there are ways to enjoy the journey and we must find them.

I am also expecting you to work hard, eat well, sleep well, play well, display a winning attitude at all times, be a leader and help me sell the squad on what it takes to win and enjoy the journey.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can’t, I’ll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing’s too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

If we lose, I want all of us to be unhappy, no one to have any fun, and expect only what is reserved for losers but take it with dignity while planning to come back.

Please remember us to your family and make your personal plans on how you are going to reach your goal – the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Sincerely,
Paul Bryant

Selam
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:54:46 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3143 on: May 12, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
ESPN.com

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Double-double is a pretty useless stat, especially when comparing a guard to a forward.

Excuse me but what? A double-double is only a useless stat to players who have a few, but they make or break a game. If a player can't get at least a 1/3 of his season with double-double games in this current NBA, they aren't playing at an all-star level!  Plenty of guards get double-doubles by the way.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3144 on: May 12, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »

Some PGs might be able to get P+A Double Doubles but it's a lot harder if you're a shooting guard and even as a point guard the amount of guys who get double doubles like that is a lot lower compared to rebound ones. I am pretty sure Boozer had more double doubles at his peak than Dirk did at the same position but you'd be a fool to draw a conclusion from that. The year Kobe had 35 points a game he only had 3 double doubles, less than what Chris Mihm had on his own team. Michael Jordan put up only 12 double doubles in 1996, etc.

There's nothing magical about the number 10.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:35:01 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3145 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »

Some PGs might be able to get P+A Double Doubles but it's a lot harder if you're a shooting guard and even as a point guard the amount of guys who get double doubles like that is a lot lower compared to rebound ones. I am pretty sure Boozer had more double doubles at his peak than Dirk did at the same position but you'd be a fool to draw a conclusion from that. The year Kobe had 35 points a game he only had 3 double doubles, less than what Chris Mihm had on his own team. Michael Jordan put up only 12 double doubles in 1996, etc.

Backing you up, I notice that the top 11 players in the NBA for double-doubles this year were all low post players (power forward or center). The number one player in this stat, Kevin Love, tallied more than twice as many double-doubles (points and rebounds) as LeBron James (Love 48, James 23). The number one guard, tying for No. 11, was Steve Nash, the top player in this stat to rack up most of his double-doubles via points and assists.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/doubleDouble/seasontype/2
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:04:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3146 on: May 13, 2012, 02:40:59 AM »

Backing you up, I notice that the top 11 players in the NBA for double-doubles this year were all low post players (power forward or center). The number one player in this stat, Kevin Love, tallied more than twice as many double-doubles (points and rebounds) as LeBron James (Love 48, James 23). The number one guard, tying for No. 11, was Steve Nash, the top player in this stat to rack up most of his double-doubles via points and assists.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/doubleDouble/seasontype/2
Interesting stat: The NBA leader in triple-doubles this year (the only player to rack up more than one): Rajon Rondo with 6 (not including the one he achieved tonight against the Sixers).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:41:55 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3147 on: May 13, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »

Interesting stat: The NBA leader in triple-doubles this year (the only player to rack up more than one): Rajon Rondo with 6 (not including the one he achieved tonight against the Sixers).
Lebron managing to average 27/8/6 but not scoring any triple doubles is weird.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3148 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »

Clippers advance! Woot.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3149 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »

Clippers advance! Woot.
The Mayans were right.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: