OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:18:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 350944 times) Average Rating: 5
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2925 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »

Lin is good, but he is a turnover machine.
Kinda like Tim Tebow? Good at winning, though quite often by overcoming his many glaring mistakes. Brett Favre was kinda that way, too.

Especially towards the end of his career.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2926 on: March 02, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

Well-established Asian American youth basketball leagues paved the way for Knicks star Jeremy Lin. That's according to Jamilah King, news editor for Colorlines.com. She discusses the leagues with host Michel Martin.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2927 on: March 05, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »

Then there's this article about Chad Ochocinco getting p***ed on by a lion. laugh

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ochocinco-urinated-lion-lived-tweet-tale-020326291.html
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2928 on: March 06, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

"One of the reasons I get on a knee is because that's a form of humbling yourself," Tebow explained. "I want to humble myself before the Lord and say thank you for this opportunity. Thank you for letting me play the game I love."

The 24-year-old talked about the Bible verses written in the eye black he wears during the game — he said he was shocked that 94 million people did a Google search for "John 3:16" after he wore it during the 2009 national championship. He talked about his teammates teasing him for not cursing on the field.

And he discussed his visits to orphans, hospitalized children and jails.

He visits death row inmates "just to shake their hand or give them a hug when I'm not supposed to, because the guards get mad, to show them someone still cares and loves them and that God forgives them and still wants a relationship with them. It's one of the coolest things I get to do."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2929 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

Then there's this article about Chad Ochocinco getting p***ed on by a lion. laugh
Baha. I get a little happier he doesn't play for us anymore each time I read about him.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2930 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »

It looks as if the Colts are going to release Peyton Manning tomorrow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

Just as it was really weird for me to see Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform, it's going to be just as weird to see Peyton in a uniform without the horseshoe on it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:49:50 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2931 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippines church's tapping of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao as an advocate for Bible reading has drawn both criticism of the use of the boxer's celebrity and support for bringing the Bible to the public eye.

At the end of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines plenary assembly in January, Auxiliary Bishop Pablo David of San Fernando, chairman of the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate, announced a plan to invite Pacquiao to help promote Bible reading among Filipinos after news broke of the boxer's conversion.

"My concept was to invite Manny Pacquiao to partner with [the commission] in promotion of Bible reading among Catholics because he says he's now a Bible-reading Catholic," David said.
Is boxing a Christian activity?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2932 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippines church's tapping of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao as an advocate for Bible reading has drawn both criticism of the use of the boxer's celebrity and support for bringing the Bible to the public eye.

At the end of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines plenary assembly in January, Auxiliary Bishop Pablo David of San Fernando, chairman of the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate, announced a plan to invite Pacquiao to help promote Bible reading among Filipinos after news broke of the boxer's conversion.

"My concept was to invite Manny Pacquiao to partner with [the commission] in promotion of Bible reading among Catholics because he says he's now a Bible-reading Catholic," David said.
Putting two gladiators in the ring together for the sole pleasure of watching them beat the crap out of each other... Hardly sounds Christian to me.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2933 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

Putting two gladiators in the ring together for the sole pleasure of watching them beat the crap out of each other... Hardly sounds Christian to me.

They could always throw two Bishops in a ring and watch them debate.

I'm going to need this.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2934 on: March 11, 2012, 05:31:33 AM »

Breakfast banter this morning was about March Madness, of course, and one topic was when (and whether) a #16 would beat a #1.  My colleague's answer was "never", and I countered with the idea that can't happen usually happens anyway.  Given enough time, big upsets will occur.  He was unconvinced.

So trying to harness the power of mathematical reasoning to bolster my claim, I took some data from previous tournaments, and calculated the average margin of victory for the #1 vs. #16 games each four years from 1985 to 2009.  (They ranged from 9 to 34, btw.)  Using a handy online linear regression calculator, I was surprised to see that the slope was actually positive (0.480), meaning that my colleague was right -- at this rate, it is unlikely that a 16 will ever beat a 1.

Never one to take no for an answer, I deliberately skewed the data, using every 8th year.  (This avoided the anomalous year of 1989 (early in the data), when two #16 teams were beaten by only one point -- the closest margin of defeat yet, and the only two times it's been done.)  But again to my surprise, the trend was actually stronger, the slope of the regression line being 0.509

Perhaps my colleague is right.  Will it never be done?  I hate being wrong.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2935 on: March 11, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

We are not talking pugilism.

One of the most beautiful activities engaged in by men. Too bad the corruption runs deeps.

It is more sport than most of the silliness discussed in this thread.

Boxing and wrestling >  buncha guys overly concerned with a ball.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2936 on: March 11, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »

I fixed it for you:

Bunch of guys chasing a puck > Boxing, wrestling, and "buncha guys overly concerned with a ball".

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #2937 on: March 11, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »

Orthonorm, you wouldn't happen to be a Bearcats fan, would you?

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2938 on: March 11, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »

Orthonorm, you wouldn't happen to be a Bearcats fan, would you?

There was no reason to get nasty. I will be reporting this for moderation.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #2939 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »

Grin

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2940 on: March 12, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »

I fixed it for you:

Bunch of guys chasing a puck > Boxing, wrestling, and "buncha guys overly concerned with a ball".

before i get overly exicited, what team?
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2941 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »

I fixed it for you:

The Montreal Canadiens!

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2942 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »

I fixed it for you:

The Montreal Canadiens!

There is a special place in Hell reserved for the likes of you.

Sabres/Leafs here
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2943 on: March 12, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

Boxing and wrestling >  buncha guys overly concerned with a ball.

I fixed it for you:

The Montreal Canadiens!

Sabres/Leafs here

laugh.... Looks like we'll both be pretty bored during the playoffs this year.  

ps You MUST be from Southern Ontario, then. Yes?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:06:52 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2944 on: March 12, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »

Boxing and wrestling >  buncha guys overly concerned with a ball.

I fixed it for you:

The Montreal Canadiens!

Sabres/Leafs here

laugh.... Looks like we'll both be pretty bored during the playoffs this year.  

ps You MUST be from Southern Ontario, then. Yes?
Nope, Buffalo proud
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2945 on: March 12, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »

this one is for Stavros

Final in tonights game: Buffalo Sabres 3 Montréal Canadiens 2 Tongue

LETS GO BUFFALO
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2946 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »

Alas, it's not the Habs' year this year... 
All I can hope for now is a good draft pick. Last place in the East, baby!!  Grin Smiley Sad Cry

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2947 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »

Alas, it's not the Habs' year this year... 
All I can hope for now is a good draft pick. Last place in the East, baby!!  Grin Smiley Sad Cry

wanna know the funny part? about a month or so again, i was saying the EXACT same thing about the sabres Tongue
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2948 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »

MANILA, Philippines -- World boxing champ Emmanuel "Manny" Pacquiao is expected to tell priests at their recollection Tuesday how the Bible is helping him live an upright life and why he is in their corner in the bout against destructive mining.

Some of the 72 diocesan and religious priests serving in the Marbel diocese are to gather Tuesday in Pacquiao's mansion in General Santos City, southern Philippines, for their bimonthly joint recollection, Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez of Marbel told NCR on Sunday.

Pacquiao, the first boxer to be world champion in eight divisions, has built himself a 35 million peso ($820,000) house in the city. On May 2010, he was elected representative for Sarangani's lone district in the House of Representatives.
After 9 a.m. praise, Pacquiao is scheduled to speak on how to read the Bible and on his position against mining, Gutierrez said.

"He is rabidly anti-mining," he said, quoting Pacquiao's remark that destruction done by the Tampakan Copper-Gold Project "should not be allowed."

The project plans to clear 3,935 hectares of forest, including rainforests, to build open-pit mines. The mines will tap what are reportedly the largest undeveloped copper-gold deposits in the Southeast Asia-Western Pacific region.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #2949 on: March 19, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

Peyton Manning to...

the Broncos?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2950 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

Peyton Manning to...

the Broncos?
Does Tebow really need a back-up QB?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2951 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

3 rounds into the Men's NCAA basketball tournament, and the Big 10 teams are 9-2. and teams from Ohio are 8-0.  Not a bad time to be a Buckeye fan!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #2952 on: March 19, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

Manning has chariots of iron...
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2953 on: March 19, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »

tebows getting traded
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2954 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

Worst case NCAA Tourney ever.

I am within about ten minutes to two hours of seven of the sixteen.

There goes the neighborhood . . . .

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #2955 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »

tebows getting traded
I really don't see who benefits here. Denver loses an incredibly marketable quarterback who has good chemistry with their team, and Peyton loses the chance to play with decent wide receivers and young running backs who might be able to win a Super Bowl with him. I'm guessing San Fran wasn't offering enough money.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2956 on: March 19, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Peyton Manning to...

the Broncos?

He needs to BE one. On whatever team he ends up on...
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:35:04 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2957 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »

tebows getting traded
I really don't see who benefits here. Denver loses an incredibly marketable quarterback who has good chemistry with their team, and Peyton loses the chance to play with decent wide receivers and young running backs who might be able to win a Super Bowl with him. I'm guessing San Fran wasn't offering enough money.
The speculation I'd seen was that Peyton wanted to remain in the AFC so he wouldn't be a potential obstacle to his brother Eli's goal of playing in more Super Bowls and that he was attracted by the flexibility shown by Denver's offensive coordinator. Hopefully, John Elway has kept enough of his QB sense to encourage his coaches to give Peyton free rein to shape the offense the way he wants and to build a team around their new superstar.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:59:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #2958 on: March 19, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »

Maybe. So where's Tebow go from here?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2959 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »

Trade bait?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2960 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »

Jax

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2961 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »

Jax
Yeah either Jacksonville or Miami make the most sense. Both teams are in his home state and are looking for a new franchise QB.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #2962 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »

So, I'm thinking K-State's women were overmatched here. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=320790041

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2963 on: March 21, 2012, 06:54:35 AM »

Pittsburgh Penguins own yall

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2964 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »

Pittsburgh Penguins own yall

Indeed. Bound for the Stanley Cup final, methinks.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2965 on: March 21, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »

So, I'm thinking K-State's women were overmatched here. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=320790041
What makes you say that? Shocked
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2966 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

Watched two hockey games on TV last night. Sweet!   Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #2967 on: March 21, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »

The New York football Jets, continuing their mission to fill their roster with QBs who can't play the QB position, now have Tebow.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #2968 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »

Watched two hockey games on TV last night. Sweet!   Grin
pfffft, ive done three, and two on a normal night Tongue

but, hockey is good. and more hockey is always good

and asteriktos, they are not the NY jets, rather the New Jersey Jets
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #2969 on: March 21, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

NFL hammers Saints for bounties

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton was suspended without pay for the 2012 season by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was banned indefinitely on Wednesday because the team's players were paid bounties for big hits on opponents from 2009-11...
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: