OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 419327 times) Average Rating: 5
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »

Grandstand section 8, row 2. Here's a photo from that area. Actually pretty good for the price I paid ($79....ouch). It IS Sox/Yankees after all, and Fenway has sold out 495 consecutive games (and counting) going back to May 2003.

I'm approximately where the pink dot is:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:49:43 AM by lubeltri » Logged
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »

Yea, but if it was New York, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to see a home run or 7  Grin

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »

I've found that the best bet for Sox games is to buy a standing room ticket (25-30 bucks), stand in your assigned area for a couple of innings while scouting around for empty seats in the $150-400 section, then move on down. Green Monster standing room translated into Green Monster seats for one game, while 3rd base standing became seats behind home plate.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »

Yea, but if it was New York, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to see a home run or 7  Grin

-Nick

When I was at the new Stadium in April, I saw more than that---a 22-4 score, the Yankees on the losing end.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

Well no welcoming party lubeltri, unless you believe in ghost whisperers...my memory ain't what it use to be

Enjoy your game...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »

Come on Pens.  Game 7.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »

Come on Pens.  Game 7.

Yessir!  Anybody but Detroit!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »

While all of me wants the Penguins to get Lord Stanley's Cup, part of it wants them to win simply so Sidney & Co. can skate past that traitor Marian Hossa and show him that his one year contract with the Red Wings was all in vain.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #278 on: June 10, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »

While all of me wants the Penguins to get Lord Stanley's Cup, part of it wants them to win simply so Sidney & Co. can skate past that traitor Marian Hossa and show him that his one year contract with the Red Wings was all in vain.

Agreed.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »

^  What?  lol!  C'mon guys!  Hossa was a rent-a-player with the Pens.  He was only with them for a few weeks before the playoffs started.  It's not like he was with them for a couple of years or something.  You may think otherwise, but I have the impression that he is a good guy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »

I for one, am cheering on my home team!

Go REDWINGS!!!!

Cheesy Grin Shocked Cheesy Grin Shocked Shocked Grin Cheesy Shocked Grin Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #281 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »

^  What?  lol!  C'mon guys!  Hossa was a rent-a-player with the Pens.  He was only with them for a few weeks before the playoffs started.  It's not like he was with them for a couple of years or something.  You may think otherwise, but I have the impression that he is a good guy.

He had no team loyalty.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #282 on: June 10, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »

He had no team loyalty.

Regardless of team loyalty, the irony of it would be pretty amazing if the pens win.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »

The last 8 months have been good for the Keystone State.

First, the Phillies
Next, the Steelers
and now, the Penguins

For those from Detroit area, my sincere regrets and enjoy those octopi grilled with a little lemon.   Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2009, 02:28:37 AM »

First, the Phillies
Next, the Steelers
and now, the Penguins

For those from Detroit area, my sincere regrets and enjoy those octopi grilled with a little lemon.   Cheesy
What do you have to regret?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2009, 02:39:15 AM »

What do you have to regret?

I'm not a big hockey fan.  I made a mere observation.
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2009, 07:25:26 AM »

First, the Phillies
Next, the Steelers
and now, the Penguins

And the Hershey Bears won the AHL Calder Cup last night, too.

What a game!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »

Pennsylvania - the new sports capital of America.   Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

And yet the Pirates are mired in their twentieth--I think more than that--straight losing season.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »

And yet the Pirates are mired in their twentieth--I think more than that--straight losing season.

We do not need reminding of that. Maybe one year we'll have a MLB team again, but only after the fans quit buying Pirate stuff and quit attending the games. The team is still profitable for the owners who, hence, see no reason to spend to improve.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »

Thanks! YUM!   Shocked

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2009, 02:17:20 AM »

Look at the bright side.  3 decades ago, the Pirates defeated the Orioles in the World Series.  Pirates could use a new theme song, "We Make Money" to the beat of We are Family.

The Phillies won a World Series before the Pirates and the Orioles
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »

Yeah, well, not even Pittsburgh can have everything.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »

I think its the sixteenth.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

Yeah, well, not even Pittsburgh can have everything.

I just find that pitt fans are just SO darn arrogant about their teams.  it really gets to me.  not that I think chicago is any better...but man it just gets to me. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »

I think its the sixteenth.
Yup.  The Pirates advanced to the NLCS every year for three straight years, 1990-1992, back when they had Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla, but they never made it to the World Series in that span.  In fact, IIRC, they led the Braves 3-2 in the 1991 NLCS but failed to score a single run in losing the final two games of the series.

Since they lost Bonds to free agency after the '92 season, though, the Pirates have never had another winning season.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:45:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2009, 01:11:21 AM »

Kobe Bryant made his point thanks to Pau Gasol.  Bryant can now go play for Orlando and help SuperHoward & Magic improve on 1-8 record in Finals.  After that, Bryant can go play for Panathiakos along with Lebron James.   angel
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »

THIS JUST IN:  Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle perfect for the day--the 18th perfect game in Major League Baseball history and first since Randy Johnson threw one 5 years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290723104
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

Buerhle has 2 no-hitters under his belt.  Nolan Ryan has 6.   Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »

Buerhle has 2 no-hitters under his belt.  Nolan Ryan has 6.   Smiley
Nah!  Ryan has 7 (6 in the AL), but he never threw a perfect game.

The record for no-hitters thrown by a pitcher to have thrown a perfect game is 4, by Sandy Koufax.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:01:40 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #300 on: July 23, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »

I forgot the no-no Ryan had against Toronto.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2009, 01:08:29 PM »

THIS JUST IN:  Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle perfect for the day--the 18th perfect game in Major League Baseball history and first since Randy Johnson threw one 5 years ago.
Totally awesome! Good time to be a White Sox fan, eh? The perfect game is in my opinion a much higher honour than the home-run record. The home run may require perfect mechanics and great strength, but the perfect game is a team effort: The pitcher can strike out every batter and still not achieve a perfect game, if his defence commits an error.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Totally awesome! Good time to be a White Sox fan, eh? The perfect game is in my opinion a much higher honour than the home-run record. The home run may require perfect mechanics and great strength, but the perfect game is a team effort: The pitcher can strike out every batter and still not achieve a perfect game, if his defence commits an error.
Yup.  Just ask Jonathan Sanchez, whose bid for a perfecto earlier this year disintegrated in the 8th inning when his third baseman booted a routine groundball.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »

If the pitcher strikes out every batter, the only way he could lose a perfect game is if his catcher commits an error on a dropped 3rd strike......

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »

If the pitcher strikes out every batter, the only way he could lose a perfect game is if his catcher commits an error on a dropped 3rd strike......
Congratulations! I was hoping someone could pick it up. Admittedly, that's an extreme example, but I wanted to show the big difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #305 on: July 24, 2009, 10:36:30 PM »

All I need to say is...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!      ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!      ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!      ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!      ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #306 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »

^ Until Nick Saban decides to go somewhere else in the SEC....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »

^ Until Nick Saban decides to go somewhere else in the SEC....

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and enjoy it while I can. But I think he's staying put. He won't go back to the NFL, and from Bama to any other NCAA school is a step down. But I'm not one of those to claim a National Championship just yet. The SEC is loaded. Florida is dominating right now, and LSU and Ole Miss are formidable foes in the Western Division. But it sure is fun to be a Bama fan once again!

Selam

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »

But it sure is fun to be a Bama fan once again!

I will agree with you on that point, going back to Bear Bryant.   Grin  My comments applied to how Nick Saban left teams in the lurch albeit LSU is in a better position without Saban.

Now if the Maryland Terps could play some real teams like Penn State or even the Tide, I would be happy....
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »

But it sure is fun to be a Bama fan once again!

I will agree with you on that point, going back to Bear Bryant.   Grin  My comments applied to how Nick Saban left teams in the lurch albeit LSU is in a better position without Saban.

Now if the Maryland Terps could play some real teams like Penn State or even the Tide, I would be happy....

Saban gets a bad rap on all that. If he had gone to USC, Michigan, Notre Dame or one of the media darling schools they would never have attacked him like they did. But because he went to Bama, they excoriated him. But as Bama fans we're used to this kind of thing. I mean, to let the media tell it you would think that Bear Bryant and George Wallace were best friends. But the reality was that Bryant couldn't stand Wallace. Bear Bryant left Kentucky because he hated Adolph Rupp's racism. But people watch Forest Gump and come away thinking Bryant was a member of the KKK Roll Eyes.

The media has always had it out for the Tide. How else do you explain the fact that no Bama player has ever won the Heisman Trophy? But it only makes our 12 National Championships that much sweeter! Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:35:40 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »

The media has always had it out for the Tide. How else do you explain the fact that no Bama player has ever won the Heisman Trophy? But it only makes our 12 National Championships that much sweeter! Wink

The times were different.  No one had Facebook or Myspace pages or ESPN profiles.   Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2009, 12:49:10 AM »

As for other sports...

After Michael Jordan I lost all interest in the NBA.

I love international soccer (futbol), but find it hard to keep up with. When it comes to the World Cup I always root for the African teams first. After that, I like Mexico and the Latin American teams other than Brazil and Argentina. My favorite player is Emmanuel Adabayor, who plays striker for Arsenol. I think MLS is a joke.

My favorite golfer is Vijay Singh. We all know that Tiger is the best, but I get sick of his petulant behavior on the course. He's too good to act like such a brat. But Vijay is just plain smoooth, man. He's a class act too.

I hate pro football.

I used to love college basketball, but now with guys leaving after just one year I've gotten kind of turned off.

My favorite athlete of all time is Muhammad Ali. There'll never be another like the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time)!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »

Combining sports and Scripture:
(Although admittedly not in an Orthodox manner. Wink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiT-BAqu_Dg

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »

We all know that Tiger is the best,
I dispute this. He fails to make the cut as often as he wins.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »

We all know that Tiger is the best,
I dispute this. He fails to make the cut as often as he wins.

68 wins, 5 missed cuts....

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: