OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:17:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 389859 times) Average Rating: 5
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »

I still can't swallow how Jordan dropped double nickel (55) on the Knicks to the chagrin of Spike Lee, Jay-Z and other luminaries at Madison Square Garden.   Shocked
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »

Yes, but we love Portland for taking Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan in the '84 draft. We also love how even with the help of Hugh Hollins, the Knicks still couldn't win a title even with a Jordan-less Bulls.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »

Yes, but we love Portland for taking Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan in the '84 draft.
Yup.  The more I read about the Bowie Draft Bust, the more I realize just how boneheaded the selection was.  ISTM that everyone knew Bowie was an injury waiting to happen and that he didn't have enough of an upside to overcome this.  That explains the recent cry when Greg Oden sat out the whole year immediately following his selection in the 2007 draft and knee surgery.  Yes, he missed much of the one year of college ball he played at the OSU, but most pundits hailed him as the best player in the draft and the best big man since Yao Ming.  Whereas nobody expected Portland to pick Bowie, most everyone expected us to pick Oden.

Of course, we still had a good chance at a superstar big man when we drafted Arvydas Sabonis in 1986, but he chose to play a couple more years in Lithuania before joining the Blazers and ended up blowing out his Achilles tendon.  He recovered enough to remain an all star, but he was never able to return to the overwhelmingly dominant all-around play that would have possibly drawn comparisons to some of the all-time greatest NBA centers.  If the Blazers had a healthy Sabonis in the lineup with Porter and Drexler and Kersey, we would have still been the talk of the 90's instead of the Bulls, even after the Bowie Draft Bust.  Oh well.  Does no good to commiserate about what might have been. Cry
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:04:52 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »

^ Allen Iverson can always develop a love for roses.   Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

King James and his court look like they're going to become the victims of a Magic Siege!

-Nick

SuperHoward negates magic dust.   Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »

^ Allen Iverson can always develop a love for roses.   Wink
Nah.  We just got rid of a bunch of headaches.  We don't want another one. Tongue
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »

Can't anyone else play hockey besides Pittsburgh & Detroit?

Can the Nuggets come back from 3-2 deficit?

How about them O's!

Go Rafa, Vajamos!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »

Can't anyone else play hockey besides Pittsburgh & Detroit?

Apparently, not recently.  Man, was I off...so much for going for the underdog...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »

IT'S AN IRON CITY YEAR!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

What no Canadian Team playing for the Cup ? Intolerable...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »

What no Canadian Team playing for the Cup ? Intolerable...

What, you're not used to it by now?  No Canadian team has won it since Montreal in '93.  Since then, only three Canadian teams have even SEEN the finals, and all three have lost it to US teams('94 Canucks, '05 Oilers, '06 Senators).

What's the Canadian press make of this complete league takeover of what is traditionally a Canadian sport?

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »

First, the Superbowl, now, the Stanley Cup!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »

As much as it pains me, I am forced to root for the Red Wings.

-Nick

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »

I will be deep in my cold cold grave before I ever cheer for Detroit! 

Knowing my luck, though, God is probably a Redwings fan!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2009, 03:31:34 PM »

I will be deep in my cold cold grave before I ever cheer for Detroit! 

Amen, brother!

Due to my having family members in Pittsburgh...go Pens!

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

-Nick

Commie!
 Wink

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »

-Nick

Commie!
 Wink

"You see this skull here? This is my skull, I own it, you know what that makes this?  Trotsky's skull!" -Lev. Trotsky

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

-Nick

Commie!
 Wink

"You see this skull here? This is my skull, I own it, you know what that makes this?  Trotsky's skull!" -Lev. Trotsky

Ah, I LOVE David Ives.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

Hey Pete,

The Lak-ers are in, so what's the deal ?

No, I'm a Celtic fan in L.A.  Tongue

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2009, 01:15:18 AM »

NBA Finals - one high school to NBA star (Kobe) vs. another high school to NBA star (SuperHoward) who defeated another high school to NBA star (James) and the first high school to NBA star (Garnett but he was injured).

This could be the Magic's Year.   Grin
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »

See, the reason that Lebron James will never be in Michael Jordan's class is because of the lack of respect James has for his fellow players. Thats very nice to teach the young basketball players,

If you don't win, just walk away, you're a competitor, theres no reason to congratulate the other team. They just beat you, they don't need congratulating...... Come on, seriously, is that what we're supposed to be teaching our kids about sports?

What happened to try your best, do what you can and in the end, the best team will win? But the most important thing is that everyone has fun and a good time. When did we get away from that? I think King James needs to get put in his place for that one.

-Nick

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »

See, the reason that Lebron James will never be in Michael Jordan's class is because of the lack of respect James has for his fellow players. Thats very nice to teach the young basketball players,

If you don't win, just walk away, you're a competitor, theres no reason to congratulate the other team. They just beat you, they don't need congratulating...... Come on, seriously, is that what we're supposed to be teaching our kids about sports?

What happened to try your best, do what you can and in the end, the best team will win? But the most important thing is that everyone has fun and a good time. When did we get away from that? I think King James needs to get put in his place for that one.

-Nick
I don't think so.  From what I've read, LeBron James has developed a reputation of always respecting his teammates and his opponents.  He has, to my knowledge, never been known to publicly berate his coaches or the play of his teammates, nor has he ever been heard complaining about his place in the Cavaliers franchise.  In short, LeBron has been nothing but a class act.  Yes, he stormed off the court after losing Game 6 without shaking his opponents' hands or talking to the media, which should be seen as poor sportsmanship, but that event was so truly exceptional for LeBron that the NBA chose to not even penalize him for it.

Now, for your praise of Michael Jordan, I wonder if this might not be tinged with a bit of nostalgic historic revisionism.  I've read it said that, early in his career, Jordan cared little for anything else but his own scoring totals, and that it took a bit of Phil Jackson's mastery of psychology to get MJ on the same page with Scottie Pippen and the rest of the Bulls team.  Can you refute this?  If not, then I'd say that LeBron is actually years ahead of where Jordan was in his development as a team player after the same number of years in the league.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »

Yes, he stormed off the court after losing Game 6 without shaking his opponents' hands or talking to the media, which should be seen as poor sportsmanship, but that event was so truly exceptional for LeBron that the NBA chose to not even penalize him for it.
But (quoting my own post rather than modify it), I certainly do agree that LeBron should have been penalized for his childish act of poor sportsmanship, so, no, I don't want to be seen as justifying his post-game behavior.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »

-Nick
I don't think so.  From what I've read, LeBron James has developed a reputation of always respecting his teammates and his opponents.  He has, to my knowledge, never been known to publicly berate his coaches or the play of his teammates, nor has he ever been heard complaining about his place in the Cavaliers franchise.  In short, LeBron has been nothing but a class act.  Yes, he stormed off the court after losing Game 6 without shaking his opponents' hands or talking to the media, which should be seen as poor sportsmanship, but that event was so truly exceptional for LeBron that the NBA chose to not even penalize him for it.

I don't fault athletes for what adult men typically do when defeated and full of adrenaline (i.e. stomp away, scream, be indignant... everything short of fisticuffs).

Now, for your praise of Michael Jordan, I wonder if this might not be tinged with a bit of nostalgic historic revisionism.  I've read it said that, early in his career, Jordan cared little for anything else but his own scoring totals, and that it took a bit of Phil Jackson's mastery of psychology to get MJ on the same page with Scottie Pippen and the rest of the Bulls team.  Can you refute this?  If not, then I'd say that LeBron is actually years ahead of where Jordan was in his development as a team player after the same number of years in the league.

Oh, Michael was an infamously bad teammate with regards to calling others out, berating them, being a bad sport, not involving others (especially early), etc.  Historical revisionism is a mild way of putting the romanticizing of MJ's personality and mannerisms.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2009, 04:50:09 PM »

-Nick

While I personally can't refute that one, I am by no means a scholar of the Bulls. It certainly does sound like Jordan early in his career, but consider not so much that he walked off the court (Detroit did that to the Bulls more than once, even Scottie Pippen did that) but its what he said after the game that struck a cord with me:

" "It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand." " http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4222452

It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand? I'm a winner, I'm a competitor, that's what I do? Since when is this the teamwork motto? Mr. Jordan never once said anything of this sort. Further, the fine wasn't going to come from his diatribe above, but rather from refusing to talk to the media. The fine had nothing to do with LeBron not shaking hands.

In all respects though, Lebron really does need to learn to be a good sport and congratulate a winner, especially on national TV. Unless of course we are trying to teach everyone that winning is the only thing that counts.... And if that's the case, I'm glad I've gotten past that phase.

-Nick

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »

Yes, he stormed off the court after losing Game 6 without shaking his opponents' hands or talking to the media, which should be seen as poor sportsmanship, but that event was so truly exceptional for LeBron that the NBA chose to not even penalize him for it.
But (quoting my own post rather than modify it), I certainly do agree that LeBron should have been penalized for his childish act of poor sportsmanship, so, no, I don't want to be seen as justifying his post-game behavior.

Well, that all changed recently:

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/06/04/lebron.fined.ap/index.html

I also like this article about the lack of humility and the hypocritical display of players:

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/vince_thomas/06/02/lebron.humility/index.html

Speaking of the Bulls, Rodman is joining celebrity rehab.  Loved him as a player.  Not sure if I can say the same for his personality.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »

I hear crickets...and no Redwing or Penquin chatter, amazing...

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

I hear crickets...and no Redwing or Penquin chatter, amazing...

Well, it's pretty much played itself out like everyone thought and/or hoped it would...Wings unbeatable in Joe Louis, Pens return fire by capitalizing on home ice advantage.  I can easily see a game seven in the works here, and am stoked about tonight's game.  If the Pens could pull of what seems to be impossible -- beating the almost superhuman Wings on their turf -- tonight, it would be a huge momentum shift for Pittsburgh.  Thing is, they pretty much need to play like the series depends on tonight, methinks; it's a huge deal for the Pens to win in Detroit.  Wouldn't be so much of a surprise for the Wings to win in the Igloo.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »

The Red Wings are the only successful entity in all of Michigan until the Lions win Super Bowl XLIV.   Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:27:32 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2009, 12:59:04 AM »

The Red Wings are the only successful entity in all of Michigan until the Lions win Super Bowl XLIV.   Grin
Super Bowl XLIV?  Try Super Bowl MCXLIV, for that's the next time the Lions are going to win it.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2009, 01:41:31 AM »

Lions winning ... what ? As Jim Rome use to say "Drug Test"

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:29 AM »

Lions winning ... what ? As Jim Rome use to say "Drug Test"
Yup.  Test first those who think the Lions have a chance of winning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »

Super Bowl XLIV?  Try Super Bowl MCXLIV, for that's the next time the Lions are going to win it.

Only if the NFL still exists in the year 3109.   Roll Eyes  The Lions are bound to win sooner - didn't Dallas go 1-15 before a Super Bowl victory?  Weren't the Patriots 1-15 a few years before their first Super Bowl victory?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »

Take heart, Buffalo is 0-4 in Super Bowl's...

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:16 PM »

Hey...newsflash. It's baseball season.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »

Baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet...Goverment Motors

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2009, 11:49:02 PM »

Baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet...Goverment Motors

You're making me rethink my allegiance to the Red Sox. Hey, it was either government motors or no motors.

I'm actually kind of glad we don't have Manny this year.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

^ Big Papi is a shadow of himself without Manny...L.A. luvs Manram

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:24 AM »

Only if the NFL still exists in the year 3109.   Roll Eyes  The Lions are bound to win sooner - didn't Dallas go 1-15 before a Super Bowl victory?  Weren't the Patriots 1-15 a few years before their first Super Bowl victory?
But I've never heard of a team winning the Super Bowl the year after a season in which they won no more than one game.  There's a reason the Lions suck:  They're the worst run franchise in the entire NFL.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:46:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »

But I've never heard of a team winning the Super Bowl the year after a season in which they won no more than one game.  There's a reason the Lions suck:  They're the worst run franchise in the entire NFL.

No, that would be the Bears who picked up the head coach of the 1-15 Lions as a line coach........

-Nick

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:54 PM »

So were the Patriots.   Wink  The Lions could win 7-9 games a year and make the playoffs in the 1990's while the Patriots were rotting in mediocrity.  Maybe the Lions are due for a resurgance.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »

I'm going to be at Fenway Park tomorrow night to watch the New York/Boston game. As you might know, depending on the outcome of tonight's game, the Yankees will arrive in Boston either 1/2 game ahead or tied for first place with the Red Sox.

After some consideration, I've decided not to be a wuss and will go to the game decked out in Yankees gear.

If I don't make it home alive, farewell to all.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:50:54 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

Gimme your section and seat #... I'll have some familia meet & greet ya

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »

I'm going to be at Fenway Park tomorrow night to watch the New York/Boston game. As you might know, depending on the outcome of tonight's game, the Yankees will arrive in Boston either 1/2 game ahead or tied for first place with the Red Sox.

After some consideration, I've decided not to be a wuss and will go to the game decked out in Yankees gear.

If I don't make it home alive, farewell to all.

I've seen worse. Yankees fans at Fenway running around with brooms and yankees gear yelling "SWEEP!" in game 5 of a 5 game series- all were lost by Boston.  That guy only had beers thrown at him, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »

Gimme your section and seat #... I'll have some familia meet & greet ya

Your offer made made me think of that Paul Simon song...

If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal...

I won't call you Betty if you won't call me Al!  Cheesy

I'll go find the ticket and get back to ya.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:20:41 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: