OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 408608 times) Average Rating: 5
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1710 on: July 20, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

These soccer womenz don't got no scoring touch...
How is that any different from watching Spain's national men's soccer team?

You must've missed their 3-0 win over Venezuela. lol.

But in reality the national teams normally bore me, I prefer just watching the Club teams. I dont appreciate the National Teams either, because time and time again an important player for a Club Team (The Team that pays his bloody Salary!) will be injured in an international friendly. If I were a manager of a professional club, I would only allow my players to play for their national team on IMPORTANT matches (i.e. World Cup or the continental cup), NOT FOR FRIENDLIES.

Which is why, if my soccer dreams become reality and I ever get called up for the US National Team, I would only play for them in either A )  The off-season for the league of which my club team plays, or B )  Important, non-friendly, matches

That's not how the system works, thankfully. Besides, the whole point of friendlies is to assist in team-gelling and to blood new youngsters in the team.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1711 on: July 20, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »

But in reality the national teams normally bore me, I prefer just watching the Club teams. I dont appreciate the National Teams either, because time and time again an important player for a Club Team (The Team that pays his bloody Salary!) will be injured in an international friendly. If I were a manager of a professional club, I would only allow my players to play for their national team on IMPORTANT matches (i.e. World Cup or the continental cup), NOT FOR FRIENDLIES.

Which is why, if my soccer dreams become reality and I ever get called up for the US National Team, I would only play for them in either A )  The off-season for the league of which my club team plays, or B )  Important, non-friendly, matches

That's not how the system works, thankfully. Besides, the whole point of friendlies is to assist in team-gelling and to blood new youngsters in the team.

Buddy, you must be watching a different sport. I cant tell you how many times a Sydney FC or Man United player has been injured in a mid-season international friendly, it's ridiculous!

I'm not against friendlies, I just think a player shouldnt be allowed to play in a friendly that is in the middle of their domestic club season. I'm sorry the player should take the club as a priority over the national team. PERIOD.

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1712 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »

AMEN!

As a near fanatical Manchester United man, I get scared every time they come over here to the States because of possible injuries. Even more so more for the national team matches.

Last year I kept on hearing about Rio trying to train for the international matches (as did Wayne Rooney) and they did nothing more than make it harder for them to heal....luckily we won the league but still.....Smiley

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1713 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »

Buddy, you must be watching a different sport. I cant tell you how many times a Sydney FC or Man United player has been injured in a mid-season international friendly, it's ridiculous!

I'm not against friendlies, I just think a player shouldnt be allowed to play in a friendly that is in the middle of their domestic club season. I'm sorry the player should take the club as a priority over the national team. PERIOD.

I'm well aware of the potential for injuries. I'm well aware of the club vs country debate. If I were an international manager, I would simply refuse to select anyone who chose not to come out for an international friendly. That's how young players get introduced to full international squads, how managers try out new systems etc.

You say that your issue is with international friendlies during the domestic season. But the potential is also there for a player to get injured in the off-season friendlies--a time when they should be resting after playing 40+ games during the season. The fact is that player injuries happen. The fact is that international friendlies have to happen during the season, because otherwise international squads will go months without playing together.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1714 on: July 23, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »

Big Ben Roethlisberger is now married. Good luck to him!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1715 on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

AMEN!

As a near fanatical Manchester United man, I get scared every time they come over here to the States because of possible injuries. Even more so more for the national team matches.

Last year I kept on hearing about Rio trying to train for the international matches (as did Wayne Rooney) and they did nothing more than make it harder for them to heal....luckily we won the league but still.....Smiley

primuspilus

Rio was limping off the field after the friendly against Seattle Sounders the other night.  Angry

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1716 on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »

I'm well aware of the potential for injuries. I'm well aware of the club vs country debate. If I were an international manager, I would simply refuse to select anyone who chose not to come out for an international friendly. That's how young players get introduced to full international squads, how managers try out new systems etc.

You say that your issue is with international friendlies during the domestic season. But the potential is also there for a player to get injured in the off-season friendlies--a time when they should be resting after playing 40+ games during the season. The fact is that player injuries happen. The fact is that international friendlies have to happen during the season, because otherwise international squads will go months without playing together.

Maybe they just need to reduce the number of international matches, either way somethings going to give within the next 10 years.

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1717 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »

Rio was limping off the field after the friendly against Seattle Sounders the other night

Yeah, I  was really nervous when I saw that. Even though I have faith in Smalling, Rio's a monster Smiley

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1718 on: July 25, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »

Dear Brett,

Please don't come back. Please?

Sincerely,

Justin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1719 on: July 25, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »

Best shows on ESPN: Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn
Worst shows on ESPN: Sports Nation, anything with Stephen A. Smith involved
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:23:51 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1720 on: July 27, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »

The Pirates/Braves game is in the bottom of the 15th... I don't know how much more of this I can take...

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1721 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:55 AM »

The Pirates/Braves game is in the bottom of the 15th... I don't know how much more of this I can take...
What? Are the Pirates that good or the Braves that bad?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1722 on: July 27, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »

What? Are the Pirates that good or the Braves that bad?

Pirates have good pitching and crappy bats... I'm not sure what the story is with the Braves, if this is normal for them, etc... the Braves have had runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs several times since the 9th, but haven't been able to get them home

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1723 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »

... bottom of the 18th coming up... officially the longest game (time wise, not inning wise) the Pirates have ever played, and the announcers believe it's the longest (time wise) the Braves have played as well...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1724 on: July 27, 2011, 01:21:46 AM »

... bottom of the 18th coming up... officially the longest game (time wise, not inning wise) the Pirates have ever played, and the announcers believe it's the longest (time wise) the Braves have played as well...
Two games for the price of one. WHEEEE! Grin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:22:00 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1725 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »

Game is over in the 19th inning... there were Braves on 2nd and 3rd... then a hit to the Pirates 3rd basemen, who throws it home... the Pirates catcher tags the Atlanta guy...  oh wait, the umpire says he DIDN'T tag him, so he's safe and the Braves win... that was a crazy ending... while the throw home beat the runner by a mile, it was hard to tell definitively live or from replay whether he tagged the runner or not, it was sort of a swiping motion towards the guys leg... ugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1726 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »

EDIT... video of the last play...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vcq8xZHbDc

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1727 on: July 27, 2011, 02:10:54 AM »

Looks pretty clear to me.

But hey, it is just ~1/160 of your total grade.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1728 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »

Stupid NFL is back. O.o

Forgive my sins.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1729 on: July 27, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

Today, Ervin Santana completed a rare feat: a complete game no-hit non-shutout vs. my Indians, winning 3-1.  The first batter of the game reached on an error, stole 2nd, went to 3rd on a fielder's choice, and scored on a sacrifice fly.  The next (and last) Indian to reach base was on a walk in the 8th.

The Tribe's slide out of the top of the Division continues.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #1730 on: July 27, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »

Stupid NFL is back. O.o

Sweet! It's the next best thing to the NHL.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:22:07 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1731 on: July 27, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

Stupid NFL is back. O.o

Sweet! It's the next best thing to the NHL.

Major League Soccer is much better. O.o

We should to start a professional Rugby Union league to replace NFL.  police

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1732 on: July 27, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »

WAIT! The Steelers are interested in Burress? WHY?

1) We don't have the money for him. At all. We're more than 10 million over the cap as it is.
2) We have a group of good young receivers who need to develop, not sit on the sidelines. One of those receivers is poised to become a pro-bowl caliber player this year.
3) We already have all the veteran receivers we need: and their names are Ward, ward, and ward,
4) Did I mention that we are 10 million over the cap, more than any other team in the league, and that we need to make some difficult CUTS, not gamble on an unneeded receiver?
5) I didn't like Burress when he was here. Now, I'm not like your typical yinzer, who mindlessly boos anyone who leaves, but in this case I really don't want him back. See points 1-4 above.

Ok, I feel better now!

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1733 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »

1) We don't have the money for him. At all. We're more than 10 million over the cap as it is.
2) We have a group of good young receivers who need to develop, not sit on the sidelines. One of those receivers is poised to become a pro-bowl caliber player this year.
3) We already have all the veteran receivers we need: and their names are Ward, ward, and ward,
4) Did I mention that we are 10 million over the cap, more than any other team in the league, and that we need to make some difficult CUTS, not gamble on an unneeded receiver?
5) I didn't like Burress when he was here. Now, I'm not like your typical yinzer, who mindlessly boos anyone who leaves, but in this case I really don't want him back. See points 1-4 above.

Ok, I feel better now!

I think he'd fit right in with the Steelers.  police

Forgive my sins.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #1734 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »

Today, Ervin Santana completed a rare feat: a complete game no-hit non-shutout vs. my Indians, winning 3-1.  The first batter of the game reached on an error, stole 2nd, went to 3rd on a fielder's choice, and scored on a sacrifice fly.  The next (and last) Indian to reach base was on a walk in the 8th.

The Tribe's slide out of the top of the Division continues.
Poorly scored error. Shoulda been a hit.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1735 on: July 28, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »

Oh no you didn't!

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #1736 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »

Ok, I feel better now!

laugh!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1737 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:54 PM »

Oh no you didn't!

Is that Antwaan Randle El, Byron Leftwich, and Rashard Mendenhall?  angel

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1738 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:54 PM »

Since the NFL is back, the Saints finally traded Reggie Bush! Thank heavens, he wasn't doing nearly as well as he was paid to do...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/28/ap-source-dolphins-trade-for-reggie-bush/

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1739 on: July 28, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »

Since the NFL is back, the Saints finally traded Reggie Bush! Thank heavens, he wasn't doing nearly as well as he was paid to do...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/28/ap-source-dolphins-trade-for-reggie-bush/

And they've tagged as his replacement another RB whose Heisman Trophy is NOT tainted, at least not that we know of.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1740 on: July 28, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »

Is that Antwaan Randle El, Byron Leftwich, and Rashard Mendenhall?  angel

The hand. Talk to it.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1741 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

So, anyone else wanna give Mike Brown a firm, loving kick in the genitals?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1742 on: July 28, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »

Looks like the Patriots are jealous of the exciting times the Steelers are having, so they're picking up all the troubled old souls that they can find (Haynesworth and Chad Johnson)

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1743 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

And they've tagged as his replacement another RB whose Heisman Trophy is NOT tainted, at least not that we know of.

Yes, and Ingram will be a good NFL running back, mark my words, he has the build of a good RB.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1744 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

Win us another boys.  Cool

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1745 on: July 31, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »

United won their last friendly of their 2011 Tour of the US, against Barcelona 2-1, in front of a sell-out crowd of 81,807 @ FedEx Field in Washington, DC.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2011/Tour-2011-News/2011/Jul/barcelona-v-manchester-united-report.aspx

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1746 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:45 AM »

The highest score line in Australian Football history...

Geelong Cats 233-Melbourne Demons 47!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgjCirrBhM

Holy Crap...

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1747 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »

Wow, a line-man cut from the Vikings for being too fat, lol!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vikings-release-McKinnie-after-he-showed-up-to-c?urn=nfl-wp4459

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1748 on: August 03, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »

I remember something similar with William "The Refrigerator" Perry back in the 80's. I don't think the Bears ever cut him, but Coach Ditka had some not-so-good things to say at times about the Fridge's girth (6'2", 382 lbs at his peak NFL size).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:49:54 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1749 on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:57 AM »

Using tickets to the Iron Bowl to lure in criminals...priceless.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/-8216-Operation-Iron-Snare-8217-lures-wanted?urn=ncaaf-wp4586

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1750 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »

The most vital man alive proves himself once again!

Penn State's Paterno has hairline fractures from hit in practice

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1751 on: August 09, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »

Bucs win! Bucs win! Bucs win!

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1752 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure that is a yearly occurance.  Cool laugh

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1753 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure that is a yearly occurance.  Cool laugh
Well, I think you need to give JoePa some credit. He sure is a tough old fart.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1754 on: August 12, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »

♫ ♫ Here we go, Steelers, here we go! Pittsburgh's goin' to the super bowl! ♫ ♫

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: