OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:42:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 416422 times) Average Rating: 5
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #1665 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

Remaking Fox Sports channels into "Root Sports" is, was, and ever will be a supremely dumb idea. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Yeah have to agree. Plus here in Colorado, since the switch we've had games with no sound, no games at all, and tons of random engineering mistakes. Sooooo annoying ...

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #1666 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:23 AM »

Remaking Fox Sports channels into "Root Sports" is, was, and ever will be a supremely dumb idea. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Yeah have to agree. Plus here in Colorado, since the switch we've had games with no sound, no games at all, and tons of random engineering mistakes. Sooooo annoying ...
Wait, is this a recent development? In NY, we don't have any local FS channels, but I always watch them on the MLB/NHL packages, or when I'm in Boston. Has it really changed to "Root Sports" since I've been in Russia? I hadn't seen this...

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1667 on: April 26, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

Wait, is this a recent development? In NY, we don't have any local FS channels, but I always watch them on the MLB/NHL packages, or when I'm in Boston. Has it really changed to "Root Sports" since I've been in Russia? I hadn't seen this...

FSN changed their name because they didn't want others associating them with Fox. I'm not sure if all the FSN's changed, but Rocky Mountain, Pittsburg, and Northwest all changed for sure. If you see a Rockies, Pirates, Mariners game you should see the Root logo around the stadium now. "You had a place to watch, now you have a place to Root!" hahaha

Edit: Oh and yeah it is recent. Most started the change on the first game of the MLB season.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:03:37 AM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1668 on: April 28, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »

Hockey. Penguins lost last night. Ahh well, they actually did better than I thought they'd do without Crosby and Malkin. I hope we trade Stall. If we traded Malkin I wouldn't shed a tear either.

Baseball. Pirates pitching is about what I expected, but I thought the offense would be much better. Even 'Cutch isn't doing much.

Football. 2 1/2 hours till the draft. I don't know why I get excited every year... after the first couple picks there's probably not going to be anything of interest for me until the very end (when my team picks).

Basketball. Um. How bout those Cavaliers? Oh wait...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1669 on: April 28, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »

Hockey. Penguins lost last night. Ahh well, they actually did better than I thought they'd do without Crosby and Malkin. I hope we trade Stall. If we traded Malkin I wouldn't shed a tear either.

Baseball. Pirates pitching is about what I expected, but I thought the offense would be much better. Even 'Cutch isn't doing much.

Football. 2 1/2 hours till the draft. I don't know why I get excited every year... after the first couple picks there's probably not going to be anything of interest for me until the very end (when my team picks).

Just wait until your Bucs get to Denver tomorrow. That offense ain't going anywhere!  laugh

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1670 on: April 28, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »

Australian Rules Football: Carlton Blues

Rugby Union: NSW Waratahs

Soccer: Manchester United

Basketball: New Orleans Hornets

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1671 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »

Just wait until your Bucs get to Denver tomorrow. That offense ain't going anywhere!  laugh
That's a cocky thing to say, especially considering that Coors Field is still one of the best hitters' parks ever. I do have to admit, though: the Rockies do have some fabulous pitching.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1672 on: April 28, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »

That's a cocky thing to say, especially considering that Coors Field is still one of the best hitters' parks ever. I do have to admit, though: the Rockies do have some fabulous pitching.

True, you're right but it's not what it's made out to be either especially since the humidor. It is an extra-bases dream considering the size of our outfield. And double that fabulous pitching since they pitch half their games in the mentioned field!

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #1673 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:27 AM »

Realized that I never established my allegiances. This is in order of how important the sport is to me:
Baseball: Mets, Red Sox
Hockey: Bruins, Islanders, CKA Санкт Петербург
Football: Giants, Patriots
Basketball: Celtics, and very uncertain about how I will react if a team does indeed move to Brooklyn
NCAA: UGA
Soccer: Olympique de Marseille, Zenit Saint-Petersburg, NY Red Bulls, Liverpool if I had to choose an EPL team
I also casually watch racing...

All that said, HOW BOUT THEM BRUINS?!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:19:40 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1674 on: April 29, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »

This just in: The Saints draft a running back who won't have to give back his Heisman Trophy (we hope). Grin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:27:52 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1675 on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »

Realized that I never established my allegiances. This is in order of how important the sport is to me:
Basketball: Celtics, and very uncertain about how I will react if a team does indeed move to Brooklyn
Soccer: Olympique de Marseille, Zenit Saint-Petersburg, NY Red Bulls, Liverpool if I had to choose an EPL team

Boo Liverpool stink  Angry

Forgive my sins.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1676 on: April 29, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »

Boo Liverpool stink  Angry
I honestly don't care about EPL much at all, but feel compelled to pick a preferred team, and based on their mutual interests with the Red Sox, I prefer them to do better. It has little to do with anything else. The only soccer teams that matter to me in any meaningful way are OM, Zenit, andthe natl US, Russian and French teams.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1677 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

This stuff is going to drive me crazy  police

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1678 on: April 29, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »

This stuff is going to drive me crazy  police

It's okay go watch Australian Football, its better anyway. Wink

Forgive my sins.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1679 on: April 29, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

Quote from: celticfan1888

I'd like to, but it's not on cable where I live. Does anybody broadcast it online?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1680 on: April 30, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »

Quote from: celticfan1888

I'd like to, but it's not on cable where I live. Does anybody broadcast it online?  Huh

ESPN3.com always plays atleast one live game a week. For instance 2:00 AM EST Sunday morning they are showing the Western Bulldogs vs. Collingwood. If you dont feel like staying up to watch the games they always have it on the site to watch a replay of the game. Wink

Some matches (such as the play offs and Grand Final) are even shown live on ESPN2.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:32:40 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1681 on: May 22, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

Ray Lewis says that crime will increase if there is no NFL season. I must admit, Lewis knows a lot about committing crimes, so who knows?

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1682 on: May 22, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »

I assume the word root doesn't have the same meaning in the States?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1683 on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
One of the greatest moments of my life just now, sitting at my computer, watching a stream at 6am.
Go Bruins, baby. We want the cup.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1684 on: May 29, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »

Bear hug them Canucks...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1685 on: May 30, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »

Good Bye Ohio St. Football Coach Jim Tressel, who resigned on 5/30, and Good Riddance.   Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1686 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »

This just in: Shaquille O'Neal has announced that he's retiring from the NBA after 19 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6615886&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The LA Lakers have also announced that they're going to retire his number 34 within the next few years, maybe even before the Big Diesel is eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1687 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

Good Bye Ohio St. Football Coach Jim Tressel, who resigned on 5/30, and Good Riddance.   Grin

If only the Sodom and Gomorra that is High Street would be smitten* by the Lord and Ohio Stadium with it.

*always loved the seemingly divergent connotations the simple past and past participle of the verb smite carry.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1688 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »

This just in: Shaquille O'Neal has announced that he's retiring from the NBA after 19 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6615886&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The LA Lakers have also announced that they're going to retire his number 34 within the next few years, maybe even before the Big Diesel is eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame.

I thought the correct nicknames were "Shaq Diesel" and "The Big Aristotle" (since he's finishing up his PhD).

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1689 on: June 02, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »

I thought the correct nicknames were "Shaq Diesel" and "The Big Aristotle" (since he's finishing up his PhD).
I suppose the correct nickname is whatever he calls himself. In Phoenix he was the Big Shaqtus, in Boston the Big Shamroq. Any way you look at it, he's BIG. Cheesy
thismanisdan

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1690 on: June 05, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »

Any hockey fans in here watching the finals? There has to at least be some Boston Bruins fans in here. I don't expect there to be too many Canucks fans. Great game tonight. Again, some great goaltending.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1691 on: June 05, 2011, 01:59:49 AM »

Any hockey fans in here watching the finals? There has to at least be some Boston Bruins fans in here. I don't expect there to be too many Canucks fans. Great game tonight. Again, some great goaltending.

I'm on the Canucks bandwagon for this year. I feel the Sweep...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:59:59 AM by John of the North » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1692 on: June 05, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »

Look up about 8 posts.
Burrows should never have been playing.
Series ain't over.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1693 on: June 05, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »

Last nite the Bruins played like my grandaughters soccer team...confused on defense.

At least they did score on a power play...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1694 on: June 11, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »

Well, I guess there will be no trip to Omaha for the Beavers this year. Sad
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1695 on: June 12, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »

Bruins better win. I can't stand Canucks fans. Too uppity for a team with no past success.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1696 on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:39 PM »

12 minutes left (possibly) and I don't know whom to dislike more: Mark Cuban or Wade, James, Bosh, and Co.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1697 on: June 14, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »

Ahem...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1698 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »

Let's go Bucs!

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1699 on: July 16, 2011, 09:51:52 PM »

Here's to Team USA and "Hammerhead" Wambaugh in the Women's World Cup.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1700 on: July 16, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »

Here's to Team USA and "Hammerhead" Wambaugh in the Women's World Cup.

Do you mean Wambach??  Wink

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1701 on: July 16, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »

Yes, couldn't remember the spelling.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1702 on: July 17, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »

The Gold Coast Suns when their 3rd game this season (16 played so far)!!!

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/here-come-the-suns/

We are the suns of the Gold Coast sky
We are the one in the red, gold and blue
We are the mighty Gold Coast Suns
We play to win the flag for you

Fight! Fight! Fight! Till we hold up the cup
Run, run, run all the way
We are the suns of the Gold Coast sky
We’re the team who never say die!

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1703 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »

These soccer womenz don't got no scoring touch...

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1704 on: July 17, 2011, 06:37:31 PM »

It is like watching paint dry.

But I finally got action at the half in the ridiculous bar with people all pumped at halftime.

4-1 that Japan would tie or win in regulation.
5-1 that they would win.

Was bored to tears until I had some money down. And boy I did I become quickly unpopular. A little juice goes a long way to making watch paint dry into a nearly coronary inducing event.

God Bless Japan!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1705 on: July 17, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »

How is that any different from watching Spain's national men's soccer team?
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1706 on: July 17, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

That's why. lol

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1707 on: July 17, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »

Big Major League Soccer game tonight between New England Revolution and Philadelphia Union

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-07-17-new-england-revolution-vs-philadelphia-union/preview

Sydney FC NEWS

Sydney FC will start its 2011/12 Hyundai A-League Pre Season program with a string of friendlies against New South Wales State League clubs, continuing the club’s on-going commitment to taking the A-League stars to the people of Sydney.

http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40330

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #1708 on: July 17, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »

How is that any different from watching Spain's national men's soccer team?

You must've missed their 3-0 win over Venezuela. lol.

But in reality the national teams normally bore me, I prefer just watching the Club teams. I dont appreciate the National Teams either, because time and time again an important player for a Club Team (The Team that pays his bloody Salary!) will be injured in an international friendly. If I were a manager of a professional club, I would only allow my players to play for their national team on IMPORTANT matches (i.e. World Cup or the continental cup), NOT FOR FRIENDLIES.

Which is why, if my soccer dreams become reality and I ever get called up for the US National Team, I would only play for them in either A )  The off-season for the league of which my club team plays, or B )  Important, non-friendly, matches

Forgive my sins.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1709 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »

Yahoo Ad: "ever played Fantasy Football in church, right after asking for forgiveness for playing Fantasy Football in church?"

Also, I was on the road, so I never got the opportunity to properly grandstand a few weeks back:
BRUINS.

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: