OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 391348 times) Average Rating: 5
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1485 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »

I came in 5th in my fantasy football league (out of 10 teams). Humbug! I can haz disgrace?

Finishing 6th... Tongue

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1486 on: January 03, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »

Anyone...? Anyone...?  Beuhler...?

OK guys, give me your thoughts on this idea I've been working on:

Since conferences are changing so much, I thought I'd create a conference of academic powerhouses that could realistically compete in football. It would be a 12 team conference with an East and West division. I need your help in coming up with a 6th team for the Western division. Also any other ideas for the name of this conference. So far I'll call it the:

CAAE: "Conference of Academic and Athletic Excellence"

EAST                 
Notre Dame               
Georgia Tech               
Army                             
Navy                           
Vanderbilt                             
Virginia

WEST
Stanford
Cal
Northwestern
BYU
Air Force

You would have two natural rivals in each division (Stanford / Cal and Army / Navy). I believe a conference like this could really work. These schools are all handicapped in recruiting because of their high academic standards, but if they formed a coalition I think they could all be very competitive. Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and BYU have all won National Championships in the modern era. Do you guys think I’m nuts, or could I be on to something here? Can anyone come up with a 6th school for the West?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1487 on: January 03, 2011, 03:21:38 AM »

Rice?  Athletically weak, but academically elite.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1488 on: January 03, 2011, 03:36:11 AM »

They've had some pretty good baseball teams recently.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1489 on: January 03, 2011, 04:00:56 AM »

They've had some pretty good baseball teams recently.

Yes, I actually thought about Rice. Perhaps if they were part of such a conference they could become competative in football.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1490 on: January 04, 2011, 01:42:35 AM »

Big win for the Pac-10 tonight as Stanford outscored Virginia Tech 27-0 in the second half to blow the Hokies away 40-12. Andrew Luck 4 TD passes, 3 to TE Colby Fleener... The Cardinal defense sacking Hokie QB Tyrod Taylor 8 times with their constant blitzing...  How in the world did Taylor manage to get off that TD pass from the sideline? Amazing bit of athletic play to throw a strike as he's walking the tightrope to avoid Marecic's tackle, but nowhere near enough...

And how about that kid, Owen Marecic? The only NCAA-FBS player to start on both sides of the football, and at FB and MLB, two of the most physically brutal positions one can play, and this within the most complicated of offensive and defensive schemes. No wonder his high school coach called him the best player he'd ever coached! The kid's a throwback to the days of Chuck Bednarik.

This win for Stanford will very likely put two Pac-10 teams in the top 4 of the final polls. And to think Oregon beat the Cardinal by three TD's. Shocked
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1491 on: January 04, 2011, 01:56:21 AM »

To think that the brothers Harbaugh (49ers vs. Ravens) could square off against each other in the '11 NFL Season.

The Hokies ended their season the same way they started it ... loss to Boise St., loss to nobody, aka James Madison, demolish ACC, loss to Stanford.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:58:24 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1492 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

Owen Marecic, old school footballer, like him as a defensive player, reminds me of Ronnie Lott...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1493 on: January 04, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

Good first stop (3 and out), then drive for the Buckeyes.  The Buckeyes usually start slow, end strong; beginning up by 7 is a special treat.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1494 on: January 05, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »

Well, they finally found someone who wasn't in Murderer's Row.  The Hogs made it interesting, but they were playing catch-up all night, and that's not something you want to do against the Buckeyes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:01:57 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1495 on: January 05, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »

Great game to watch. I was pulling for the SEC in this one, but congrats to the Buckeyes. Terrell Pryor lived up to the hype. I also appreciated his sincere apology to the Ohio State fans. That was nice. Tressell seems to be a classy guy running a classy program. Enjoy it Buckeye fans. Smiley

Selam

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1496 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »

Well, they finally found someone who wasn't in Murderer's Row.  The Hogs made it interesting, but they were playing catch-up all night, and that's not something you want to do against the Buckeyes.

The way the Buckeyes were playing last night, it wouldn't have mattered who the opponent was; we could have been feasting on Frogs legs as easily as the Pulled Pork.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1497 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »

Tressell seems to be a classy guy running a classy program. Enjoy it Buckeye fans. Smiley

His dad was the same way - classy coach running a classy program.  We're blessed to have The Sweater Vest running the program in Columbus.

---------------------
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1498 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

The way the Buckeyes were playing last night, it wouldn't have mattered who the opponent was; we could have been feasting on Frogs legs as easily as the Pulled Pork.

Well, the way the Frogs were playing in the Rose Bowl, the Buckeyes might have found the going tougher.  Add the emotional surge Pres. Gee's infamous remarks would have given.

BTW, for all you out there who don't know what a horned frog is:  it's actually a lizard, the official Texas State reptile.  Looks like a miniature dinosaur, and has the attitude as well.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1499 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:37 PM »

Ah, the memories...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1500 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »

I wouldn't exactly say they feasted, father.  Any game that's undecided at 1 minute can't be called a feast, can it?  They played and won a good game -- I'll definitely give them that.  (In the spirit of full disclosure, I will acknowledge that I'm a Hog fan; I bleed red.)  Besides, a Buckeye is a plant.  And plants are vegetarian, right?
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1501 on: January 05, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »

I wouldn't exactly say they feasted, father.  Any game that's undecided at 1 minute can't be called a feast, can it?  They played and won a good game -- I'll definitely give them that.  (In the spirit of full disclosure, I will acknowledge that I'm a Hog fan; I bleed red.)  Besides, a Buckeye is a plant.  And plants are vegetarian, right?

Please take care:  I'm not Fr. Owen but Dr. Owen.  It's rare enough to have two Owens on the same board; let's keep them straight.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1502 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »

Please take care:  I'm not Fr. Owen but Dr. Owen.  It's rare enough to have two Owens on the same board; let's keep them straight.
Egads!  Was I caught quoting the wrong man?  A pox upon me!  Apologies to all.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1503 on: January 05, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Them Razor Back receivers needed alot of stick'em...too many dropped balls

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1504 on: January 06, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »

Luck will be with Stanford for another year:

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in this spring's NFL draft, announced Thursday that he will stay in school and play his redshirt junior season. "I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," Luck said in a statement. The school announced that Luck wouldn't be made available for comment.

His father, former NFL quarterback Oliver Luck, said: "This is a win-win for him. He gets to spend another year at Stanford, be part of team that will be highly ranked again next year, finish his degree and enjoy Palo Alto.

"It's not like the NFL is going anywhere, it's one of the best run leagues in the world. It will still be there when he graduates."
"Call him old school," Oliver Luck said. "He comes from a faction of people who believe you go to college to pursue your degree."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Thomist

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite: Archdiocese of Baltimore

« Reply #1505 on: January 06, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »

Baseball: Boston Red Sox

(American) Football: New England Patriots

Basketball: Boston Celtics

Hockey: Boston Bruins

"Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?" - Saint Cyprian of Carthage
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1506 on: January 07, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »

Them Razor Back receivers needed alot of stick'em...too many dropped balls
Hogs don't have opposable thumbs.  You gotta give 'em credit for what they were able to accomplish with what they had, dontcha think!?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1507 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »

And Jim Harbaugh is going to.... **drum roll**

Link

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1508 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:04 PM »

A team with no quarterbacks...

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1509 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »

Packers are gonna win the super bowl...i believe.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1510 on: January 08, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »

Just saw this commercial on ESPN. I have to admit, I'm not much of an Ovechkin fan (I do live in SW Pennsylvania, after all), but that commercial made me laugh...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1511 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »

I can't believe the Saints are gonna lose this one... ugh...  police

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1512 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »

About the only thing more embarrassing than being the first team to make the playoffs with a loosing record is loosing to the first team to make the playoffs with a loosing record. That was just sad...

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1513 on: January 08, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »

Seattle is tough at home, 10 pt home dog, and I still pk da Saints...

Going with Colts, Ravens & you betcha, the Pack...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1514 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

About the only thing more embarrassing than being the first team to make the playoffs with a loosing record is loosing to the first team to make the playoffs with a loosing record. That was just sad...
Being a Northwesterner, I'm happy about it. Grin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1515 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »

The Buckeye tree is a hearty one, and the Buckeye nut is poisonous; only the Buckeye candy (PB and chocolate) is safe Grin 

In the spirit of full disclosure - they certainly feasted abundantly in the 1st half, and scored more points in that half than the Baby Back (ribs) did in the entire game.  Second half was classic Tressleball - plain play calling to protect a lead; if they still had their pedal to the floor, who knows what the score could have been? Wink

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1516 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »

I'm watching a Pittsburgh Pirates game. Which is stranger: that I would be watching baseball in January, or that I'd care enough to watch the Pirates?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1517 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »

My vote is for the latter.

---------------------
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1518 on: January 09, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

Ditto...

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1519 on: January 09, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »

So I'm watching the Baltimore-KC game on CBS, and the announcers state during pre-game that Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles either 1) are the first rushing duo to gain 2300 yards in a season, or 2) have the season rushing record for a duo.

Either way, they're wrong, since Jim Braxton and O.J. combined for 2497 yards in 1973.

Is anyone else watching this game?  And catch the comment I'm talking about?  And can tell me what I missed?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1520 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »

My vote is for the latter.

Ditto...

I predict that the Pirates will only lose 90 games this year... hooray! Cool I actually like quite a few of their position players... they're not all-stars by any means (except perhaps McCutchen, and maybe Alvarez if he develops like they say he might), but many of them seem solid. Then again, considering where they have most of their money tied up, and considering their potential starting rotation... ugh, it's gonna be another long season.  Undecided

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1521 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:53 AM »

So I'm watching the Baltimore-KC game on CBS, and the announcers state during pre-game that Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles either 1) are the first rushing duo to gain 2300 yards in a season, or 2) have the season rushing record for a duo.

Either way, they're wrong, since Jim Braxton and O.J. combined for 2497 yards in 1973.

Is anyone else watching this game?  And catch the comment I'm talking about?  And can tell me what I missed?

I missed it. I wanted to take a nap for about half an hour, till the game started, and then ended up sleeping through most of it. That's what I get for not sleeping much the night before I suppose.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1522 on: January 10, 2011, 03:43:11 AM »

I predict that the Aubbies will win easily in a very high scoring National Championship game. Something like 48 - 31. I hope I'm dead wrong. Hey Peter, I'm with you 100% tomorrow night! Wink

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1523 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »

I heard from someone today an interesting take on one aspect of tonight's game. In the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game, played at the same site as last week's Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, who better to coach one of the teams than a man named Chip. Cheesy
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1524 on: January 10, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

I predict that the Aubbies will win easily in a very high scoring National Championship game. Something like 48 - 31. I hope I'm dead wrong. Hey Peter, I'm with you 100% tomorrow night! Wink
As I first read this, I was worried.  Knowing you're a Tide fan, I feared for your safety if caught pulling for those other guys.  The 'Bama Fan Enforcement Squad take a dim view of that, I'm told.  But I see it's merely your analytical assessment.  And I am with you 100%!
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1525 on: January 10, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »

And catch the comment I'm talking about?  And can tell me what I missed?
I missed it.
Having put far more effort into thinking about this than I ever should have, I think I've convinced myself that they must have said "...first duo in team history to do so."  It's the only explanation that makes sense.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1526 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »

I heard from someone today an interesting take on one aspect of tonight's game. In the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game, played at the same site as last week's Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, who better to coach one of the teams than a man named Chip. Cheesy

Chips, Dead Guy, and Quack Attack! Wink

Selam

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1527 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »

I like the Ducks helmet, but there is a lack of their traditional green in the rest...

Guess them progressives have taken over...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1528 on: January 10, 2011, 11:32:57 PM »

Ducks defense played well in the first half. If the Aubbies score a TD on the opening drive of the second, I'm afraid it will be over for Oregon. BTW, the Aubbies are playing dirty. # 32 should have been thrown out of the game for kneeing that guy in the head. But that's the Barners for you. Roll Eyes

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1529 on: January 11, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »

Oregon stepped up big every time I thought they were through. Great effort by the Ducks. I think they should've let Auburn score with two minutes left, then they would have had a chance to get the ball back and possibly tie it up or go for two to win it. But a great game that exceeded my expectations. Oregon should be proud.

Advice to the Aubbies: Save your toilet paper. You're gonna need it to wipe all that tarnish off of your National Championship trophy.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:21:10 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: