OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 02:15:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 424780 times) Average Rating: 5
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1440 on: November 14, 2010, 04:53:22 AM »

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/default2.aspx?id=341053

CALGARY -- The Calgary Dinos weren't about let a big half-time lead go to waste against the University of Alberta Golden Bears.

Slotback Anthony Parker caught a pair of touchdown passes to lead the Dinos to their third-straight Canada West title, a dominating 56-3 win over Alberta in the Hardy Cup on Saturday.

--------------------------------

Clearly my school team forgot to show up to play...
Interesting that this article mentions a QB named Travis Lulay. That fellow played his high school ball for a small Catholic school in my home state of Oregon.

Oops, wrong link for the article I meant to post: http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=341088

As for Travis Lulay, he is from Oregon. Smiley
Yup. Regis High School in Stayton.

He probably didn't grow up wanting to play in the CFL...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1441 on: November 21, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »

The Ducks had the weekend off, which made the Beavers' game the one to focus on today. With this year's Oregon State team, it's impossible to know which team will show up. The same team that lost at home last week to lowly Washington State rose to the occasion today and steamrolled the No. 20 USC Trojans (also in Corvallis) 36-7. The Ducks had better watch out in a couple of weeks when they travel to Corvallis to play the Beavers in the annual Civil War game (the oldest college football rivalry west of the Mississippi). But first, they need to defend their own home turf by beating Arizona next week.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1442 on: November 21, 2010, 02:46:24 AM »

The Ducks had the weekend off, which made the Beavers' game the one to focus on today. With this year's Oregon State team, it's impossible to know which team will show up. The same team that lost at home last week to lowly Washington State rose to the occasion today and steamrolled the No. 20 USC Trojans (also in Corvallis) 36-7. The Ducks had better watch out in a couple of weeks when they travel to Corvallis to play the Beavers in the annual Civil War game (the oldest college football rivalry west of the Mississippi). But first, they need to defend their own home turf by beating Arizona next week.
Both games could be hard.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1443 on: November 21, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »

On a day when Texas finally found a team they could beat, while rival A&M duked one out over Nebraska, Cal lost bigtime to Stanford in the last Big Game to be played at Memorial Stadium before it's massive rebuild.  It's never easy to know which Golden Bear team will show up; the worse one showed up yesterday, and Stanford is really that good this year.

TCU was idle, but, interestingly, Utah, whom the Frogs blew out in Fort Worth, barely squeaked by San Diego State (whom the Frogs beat unspectacularly) in SD.  TCU coach Gary Patterson had said SDSU was underrated, and the Aztecs proved his point last night.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #1444 on: November 21, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »

Punching is frowned upon in football? Who knew? Also, for someone who is so famous for fending off 350 lb men trying to hit him as hard as they can, Big Ben sure does have a glass jaw...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1445 on: November 21, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

I know the Browns have looked impressive in beating NO and NE, but I'm not too happy with the fact that they've failed to score on the many turnovers they've forced today. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1446 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »

What happened, Gebre? Your boys couldn't hold onto a 24-0 lead against your biggest rivals.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1447 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »

That was a real squeaker, not worth many style points.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1448 on: November 27, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »

I hear... crickets

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1449 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »

Yes, including the game that just ended in Reno, where Nevada upset Boise State by a field goal in overtime.

All three of the unbeatens who played today were well tested.  Auburn and Oregon passed their tests; Boise State didn't.  It's going to make for an interesting shuffle among the top four teams in the BCS rankings, depending on how handily TCU beats New Mexico.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1450 on: November 27, 2010, 05:38:39 AM »

Yes, including the game that just ended in Reno, where Nevada upset Boise State by a field goal in overtime.

All three of the unbeatens who played today were well tested.  Auburn and Oregon passed their tests; Boise State didn't.  It's going to make for an interesting shuffle among the top four teams in the BCS rankings, depending on how handily TCU beats New Mexico.
Yeah, outscoring No. 20 Arizona 34-10 in the second half after going into halftime down 14-19 certainly counts as passing the test. Grin Next up, the Civil War: Oregon at Oregon State. This year, the Ducks DON'T want to go to the Rose Bowl.

BTW, in one high school football semifinal here, the QB for the winning team did his best Cam Newton impersonation by gaining 588 yards of total offense all by himself (347 passing and 241 rushing)--well, not exactly all by himself, since he needed receivers to catch his passes--and having a hand in scoring all 9 of his team's TD's (8 passes and 1 run) as his team advanced to the Class 5A state final with a 60-22 win. Shocked The Ducks need to do whatever they can to sign him.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:50:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1451 on: November 27, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »

I dislike the many variations of the U of O's football uniforms, gimmicky and sorta like the certain liturgical practices of a certain church that I'm certainly loosely a member of...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:21:35 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1452 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »

Assuming the Horned Frogs beat New Mexico, they realistically have an inside track to the Rose bowl and a crack at the Big 10 champ, which could just be Ohio State.  If that comes about, Pres. Gee is going to wish he'd kept his big mouth shut.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1453 on: November 27, 2010, 04:20:34 PM »

I dislike the many variations of the U of O's football uniforms, gimmicky and sorta like the certain liturgical practices of a certain church that I'm certainly loosely a member of...
Yeah, I have to agree. That's the one thing about the Ducks football team I don't like. Oh well. They keep winning in them, so I really can't complain. Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1454 on: November 27, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

What happened, Gebre? Your boys couldn't hold onto a 24-0 lead against your biggest rivals.

It was very disappointing. We should have closed it out in the first half, but due to two fumbles we only came away with 6 points in four trips inside the red zone. But what bothered me most was how we got worn down and beat up physically in the second half. Our offensive line completely collapsed. In our three losses this year, we've been worn down in the second half. That never happened last year. I have always trusted Saban to make sure our team was in superior condition to our opponents, but with all of our depth we still basically got beat by two great players from Auburn- Fairley on the defensive side and of course Newton. I hope Saban will take a hard look at that and straighten it out.

All that said, I must congratulate Auburn on a great comeback win. They capitalized on our mistakes and never panicked. We were outcoached and outplayed in the second half. If they get past South Carolina, I think they will win the National Championship.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1455 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »

Yeah, I have to agree. That's the one thing about the Ducks football team I don't like. Oh well. They keep winning in them, so I really can't complain. Grin

Yep, it's not the look, it's the score board... Wink

Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1456 on: November 29, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »

And the dominoes keep falling:  http://www.bigeast.o...University.aspx

Look for the Big East to add at least one other team for football in 2012:  Temple, Villanova, and Central Florida have been mentioned; Notre Dame doesn't seem to be inclined to join the conference for football.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1457 on: November 29, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

If they get past South Carolina, I think they will win the National Championship.
Watch out for that Spurrier. He's a rascal.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1458 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »

We have a final score from the 114th rendition of the Oregon Civil War (in Corvallis this year): Oregon Ducks 37, Oregon State Beavers 20. Mike Riley had his Beavers ready to play and play hard, but the Ducks were clearly the better team in this matchup. Oregon finishes the regular season 12-0 for the first time in school history and, with Auburn leading by four TD's late against South Carolina, will most likely face the Auburn Tigers in the BCS National Championship Game on 01/10/11.

GLENDALE, ARIZONA, HERE WE COME! G DUCKS!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:22:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1459 on: December 04, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »

Scramjet Newton.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1460 on: December 04, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »

Congrats to the DUCKS! Hope they win the National Championship. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.

As for Cam Newton, my 10 year old son told me this week that he thought Newton should play for Texas A&M. When I asked him why, he said, "Because they have ATM on their helmets." Wink (True story. He really came up with that all by himself. I was cracking up.)

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1461 on: December 05, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »

? Will the Tigers feast on stuffed Duck...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:00:26 PM by Jakub » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1462 on: December 05, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »

I'd love to see a Tiger that can fly. Cheesy
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1463 on: December 05, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »

...or will the Duck prove too Mighty?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1464 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »

Good thing for Ohio State that Wisconsin gets into the Rose Bowl against TCU; we have a score to settle with the Buckeyes.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1465 on: December 06, 2010, 01:30:53 AM »

When Cameron Newton wins the Heisman, he'd better keep it locked up and away from his father or else his Dad might try to pawn it. (Of course he would only pawn it to help renovate his church.)

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1466 on: December 06, 2010, 01:52:50 AM »

ESPN has a neat free game, College Bowl Mania, pk the most wins out of 35 Bowl games...

Who's game ?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1467 on: December 09, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »

Advice on what Cam Newton should say in his acceptance speech Saturday night:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1179676/1/index.htm

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1468 on: December 09, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »

Good thing for Ohio State that Wisconsin gets into the Rose Bowl against TCU; we have a score to settle with the Buckeyes.

LOL.  OSU, or UW, the result would have been the same - fried frog legs all around! 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1469 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

If the Badgers want frog legs for New Year's, they're gonna have to work awful hard for 'em.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1470 on: December 10, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »

Tastes Like Chicken Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1471 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »

Congratulations to Cam Newton and Auburn on their Heisman trophy.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1472 on: December 12, 2010, 01:37:49 AM »

Tangential:  I saw an atrocity today, while watching the FCS playoffs.  South Dakota State was playing at Eastern Washington, and EWU--probably in imitation of Boise State--had dyed the playing field RED.  I mean, the whole field, except for the end-zones and borders (black).  It was horrid.  Oughta be a law agin' it!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1473 on: December 12, 2010, 02:05:55 AM »

A Program on the Rise

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/6513973932979940950/6a-playoffs-aloha-beats-tualatin-for-title-to-finish-story-book-season/

For well over 20 years, the football Warriors of Aloha High School (Beaverton, Oregon) were the laughingstock of the state's big-schools classification, winning on average maybe one of the nine games they played each year. Last year they put together their first winning season since 1986 and advanced to the second round of the 6A playoffs before getting eliminated by the eventual state champs. This year, 2010, the Warriors finished their climb to the top by winning the Oregon 6A football state championship. Congratulations to Chris Casey and his amazing coaching staff for leading one of the greatest turnarounds ever seen in Oregon prep football history--it took Coach Casey seven years to do this.

It looks as if Aloha may even be the team to beat the next couple of years. They have a stud running back who stands 6'2", weighs close to 200 pounds of almost pure muscle, and has the speed for a second-place finish in the state 100-meter sprint last spring. Close to 1800 yards rushing this year (in 13 games), and he's only a sophomore! Shocked
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:14:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1474 on: December 12, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »

Tangential:  I saw an atrocity today, while watching the FCS playoffs.  South Dakota State was playing at Eastern Washington, and EWU--probably in imitation of Boise State--had dyed the playing field RED
It's called "shock and awe". Grin

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #1475 on: January 01, 2011, 03:23:27 AM »

I came in 5th in my fantasy football league (out of 10 teams). Humbug! I can haz disgrace?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1476 on: January 01, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »

Bingalaca, bingalaca, sis boom bah,
Badger meat & swiss cheese, rah, rah, rah!
Will we eat it?  You're doggone right!
Horned Frogs, Horned Frogs, fight, fight, fight!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1477 on: January 01, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »

Congrats to the DUCKS! Hope they win the National Championship. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.
Who knows? Washington just upset Nebraska to score a big one for the Pac 10.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1478 on: January 01, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa-HOO!

TCU 21
Wisconsin 19

Everything came up roses!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1479 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:04 AM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa-HOO!

TCU 21
Wisconsin 19

Everything came up roses!
To quote Yosemite Sam: "GREAT HORNY TOADS!" Cheesy

http://www.hark.com/clips/kxwgqcnwkb-horny-toads
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1480 on: January 02, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »

My TIDE Rolled big today. Finally played a full four quarters of football. Too bad we couldn't do that all season, but it was great to end on such a positive note. The future looks bright, even if we do lose Ingram and Julio. The SEC made mincemeat of the Big Ten once again. Rough day for the state of Michigan. Wow.

Glad TCU won. Now they have a legitimate argument that they should've had a chance to play for the National Championship. Unlike BAMA last year, if the Aubbies win they won't be the only undefeated team at the end of the year. 

GO DUCKS!!! Grin

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1481 on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:01 AM »

Well, we now know five members of Murderer's Row:

Alabama
Florida
Mississippi State
Texas Tech
TCU

It remains to be seen if Arkansas can step up and be the sixth; what a lovely comeuppance for Pres. Gee that would be.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:31:46 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1482 on: January 02, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »

OK guys, give me your thoughts on this idea I've been working on:

Since conferences are changing so much, I thought I'd create a conference of academic powerhouses that could realistically compete in football. It would be a 12 team conference with an East and West division. I need your help in coming up with a 6th team for the Western division. Also any other ideas for the name of this conference. So far I'll call it the:

CAAE: "Conference of Academic and Athletic Excellence"

EAST                 
Notre Dame               
Georgia Tech               
Army                             
Navy                           
Vanderbilt                             
Virginia

WEST
Stanford
Cal
Northwestern
BYU
Air Force

You would have two natural rivals in each division (Stanford / Cal and Army / Navy). I believe a conference like this could really work. These schools are all handicapped in recruiting because of their high academic standards, but if they formed a coalition I think they could all be very competitive. Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and BYU have all won National Championships in the modern era. Do you guys think I’m nuts, or could I be on to something here? Can anyone come up with a 6th school for the West?

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1483 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

It's been a bad sports year for me so far; Big 10 got skunked on Jan 1 (OSU is their only hope for respectability), the CAVS are mired in their second extended losing streak (6 and counting), the Browns are playing horribly against the rivals today.  Yikes.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1484 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

From my good friend, and current seminarian, Ted:

"All women should want to date Browns fans, we're clearly the most faithful men in the country."

---------------------
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: