OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 351650 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1395 on: October 30, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »

GO OL' MISS! Grin

Amen!

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1396 on: October 30, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »

Oh, well. Auburn won 51-31. Sad

I'm not sure it matters all that much for today, though. The Ducks beat USC 53-32. Grin Up 29-17, the Ducks came out of the halftime locker room in self-destruct mode, giving the Trojans the short field for their first two second-half possessions by throwing an interception and allowing a long punt return, thus blowing all of their lead to fall behind 29-32. But the Ducks bounced back to outscore USC 24-0 the rest of the way. To show that their quick-strike offense could even grind out long, clock-eating drives when they needed to, they scored on three consecutive drives of 10+ plays and 4+ minutes in the second half. Smashed in the mouth by a great USC football team, the Ducks smashed back and came out on top. Great win for the No. 1 team in the country. Grin Grin Grin (Will even help the Ducks' strength of schedule rating, which could push them over Auburn for No. 1 in the BCS standings.)

In the Heisman race, Duck sophomore RB LaMichael James ran the ball 36 times for 239 yards and 3 TD's, including a long run of 45 yards.

Up next: The Ducks' biggest rival outside of the state of Oregon: the Washington Huskies--game at Autzen Stadium (The Dawgs are coming off a weekend where they joined their in-state rivals Washington State in getting outscored by their two opponents, Stanford and ASU, by a combined score of 83-0. Washington managed only 107 yards of total offense AT HOME against Stanford. Shocked)

GO DUCKS!!! Grin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:02:23 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1397 on: October 31, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »

I'm not sure it matters all that much for today, though. The Ducks beat USC 53-32. Grin Up 29-17, the Ducks came out of the halftime locker room in self-destruct mode, giving the Trojans the short field for their first two second-half possessions by throwing an interception and allowing a long punt return, thus blowing all of their lead to fall behind 29-32. But the Ducks bounced back to outscore USC 24-0 the rest of the way. To show that their quick-strike offense could even grind out long, clock-eating drives when they needed to, they scored on three consecutive drives of 10+ plays and 4+ minutes in the second half. Smashed in the mouth by a great USC football team, the Ducks smashed back and came out on top. Great win for the No. 1 team in the country. Grin Grin Grin (Will even help the Ducks' strength of schedule rating, which could push them over Auburn for No. 1 in the BCS standings.)

In the Heisman race, Duck sophomore RB LaMichael James ran the ball 36 times for 239 yards and 3 TD's, including a long run of 45 yards.

Up next: The Ducks' biggest rival outside of the state of Oregon: the Washington Huskies--game at Autzen Stadium (The Dawgs are coming off a weekend where they joined their in-state rivals Washington State in getting outscored by their two opponents, Stanford and ASU, by a combined score of 83-0. Washington managed only 107 yards of total offense AT HOME against Stanford. Shocked)

GO DUCKS!!! Grin

I'm rallying the TIDE Nation to campaign for LaMichael James for Heisman!

Crazy how the Ducks and Auburn both won by almost the exact same margins. Still a ot of football left, but it looks like Oregon and Auburn could meet in the highest scoring National Championship ever.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1398 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:38 AM »

GO DUCKS!!! Grin
  That was a scarey game, especially the beginning of the 2nd half.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:19:59 AM by Gamliel » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1399 on: October 31, 2010, 01:57:49 AM »

GO DUCKS!!! Grin
 That was a scarey game, especially the beginning of the 2nd half.

Yeah, had me scared, too. But the Ducks have always been stronger in the second halves of games this year, so I had faith they could bounce back the way they did. Not only do they play fast, they practice every bit as fast, which has them much better conditioned than most teams. They've allowed only one fourth-quarter score thus far, and the 15 USC scored within the first four minutes of the 3rd was more than double what the Ducks had allowed in any previous 3rd quarter this year.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:13:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1400 on: October 31, 2010, 01:58:39 AM »

GO DUCKS!!! Grin

Crazy how the Ducks and Auburn both won by almost the exact same margins. Still a ot of football left, but it looks like Oregon and Auburn could meet in the highest scoring National Championship ever.

Selam
THAT would be a fun game to watch! Grin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1401 on: October 31, 2010, 02:06:50 AM »

GO DUCKS!!! Grin

Selam
THAT would be a fun game to watch! Grin

I would be fun... if the DUCKS prevailed! Wink I think it would be awesome if Oregon beat the Aubbies in the National Championship and LaMichael James won the Heisman. But I hope we can knock Auburn back down to earth before it gets that far. (You see, people outside of the state of Alabama don't realize what a Napoleonic complex the Aubbies have. If they win the National Championship and Newton gets the Heisman, it will be unbearable!)

Selam

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1402 on: October 31, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »

On a day which saw two more unbatens fall by the wayside and the Oregon Ducks almost laying an egg in the LA Coliseum, the woebegone bad-news Bears of California were clobbered in Corvallis (not really a surprise), and the equally woebegone Longhorns struggled but could not prevail against Baylor.

But there's always a silver lining:  the Horned Frogs piled up style points against UNLV to remain unbeaten.  Now, all they need to is stay focused and knock off Utah in Salt Lake a few weeks down the pike; then we might end up with four unbeaten teams:  Oregon and Auburn for the BCS championship, and TCU & Boise State for the other half of the still-mythical national crown.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:37:34 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1403 on: October 31, 2010, 03:21:05 AM »

A testament to just how efficient the Duck offense is this year: 1st in the NCAA in average scoring per game, close to last in the NCAA in average time of possession per game (both stats prior to today's game against USC). That means they have to be one of the most efficient offenses ever in terms of scoring per minute of possession.

They don't waste any time, and if your defense isn't ready for them to run a play, TOO BAD!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:22:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1404 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

Pat Haden needs to hire his own coach...I don't care much for the way Lane treated Tennessee...

IMO the choice would be Jack Del Rio...

SC had their chances at the Quacks...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #1405 on: November 01, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »

Well that experiment didn't last very long...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1406 on: November 01, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

Randy is a free spirit...someone will adopt him

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1407 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »

A rolling stone gathers no...eh, nevermind.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1408 on: November 02, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

Freaky! The long haired Dawg with the goofy pitching mechanics won his Game 5 start to bring the title back to San Fran.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1409 on: November 03, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »

Hopefully some young'ins here might remember Sparky, via CBS Sports...a great baseball manager, Lord have mercy...

Sparky Anderson placed in hospice care
Posted on: November 3, 2010 9:09 am
Edited on: November 3, 2010 9:20 amScore: 132
Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Former Tigers great Sparky Anderson has been place into hospice care as the 26-year managing vet is suffering from complications related to dementia, as the Detroit News reports.

Anderson led the Reds to the 1975-76 World Series with nine years in Cincinnati before serving from 1979-95 in Detroit and capturing the 1984 World Series title. The Hall of Famer has 2,194 wins overall, ranking him sixth on the all-time list.

Now 76, Anderson made a visit to Comerica Park in September 2009 to honor the '84 World Series champions and foretold of failing health.

"Think about this now, there will be four or five of these guys together again, maybe, but never all together again," Anderson said of the reunion "I'm 75. I know I ain't going to make it."

Anderson may not make it to the next reunion, but he will be remembered for years in baseball history as one of the best managers of his time.

-- Evan Brunell

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1410 on: November 03, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »

Randy is a free spirit...someone will adopt him

Seems that he's going to the Titans...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1411 on: November 03, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

Freaky! The long haired Dawg with the goofy pitching mechanics won his Game 5 start to bring the title back to San Fran.

I couldn't figure out if I was watching game 5 or Dazed and Confused.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1412 on: November 05, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »

Hopefully some young'ins here might remember Sparky, via CBS Sports...a great baseball manager, Lord have mercy...

Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Former Tigers great Sparky Anderson has been place into hospice care as the 26-year managing vet is suffering from complications related to dementia, as the Detroit News reports.

Anderson led the Reds to the 1975-76 World Series with nine years in Cincinnati before serving from 1979-95 in Detroit and capturing the 1984 World Series title. The Hall of Famer has 2,194 wins overall, ranking him sixth on the all-time list.

Now 76, Anderson made a visit to Comerica Park in September 2009 to honor the '84 World Series champions and foretold of failing health.

"Think about this now, there will be four or five of these guys together again, maybe, but never all together again," Anderson said of the reunion "I'm 75. I know I ain't going to make it."

Anderson may not make it to the next reunion, but he will be remembered for years in baseball history as one of the best managers of his time.

-- Evan Brunell

Sparky Anderson is dead. Sad May his memory be eternal!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1413 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »

-- Evan Brunell

Sparky Anderson is dead. Sad May his memory be eternal!

Memory Eternal!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1414 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

Lot's of smoke. We'll soon see if there's a fire. LaMichael James may win the Heisman after all.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/dont-vote-for-auburns-cameron-newton-for-heisman-trophy-110410

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1415 on: November 06, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »

Tough day for my Crimson Tide. Congrats to LSU, they deserved to win today. I never thought we were as good as people kept saying, and today LSU exposed some of our weaknesses. At BAMA, we give credit where credit is due and carry on with class and our head held high. Sad afternoon, but I'm just as proud to be a BAMA fan today as I was yesterday.

(I wonder if they still want to run Les Miles out of town down there?)

Selam
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:40:30 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1416 on: November 06, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »

I'm not that into sports but I'm sure I remember +Sparky Anderson doing an amusing guest appearance on "WKRP in Cincinnati" - anyone old enough to remember that? Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1417 on: November 06, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

On a day which saw Cal eek out a win over woebegone Washington State while Oregon was clobbering Washington and Auburn was clobbering Chattanooga, the Horned Frogs gave Utah a hefty sendoff to the Pac 12 (and a foretaste of what Utah will have to put up with there).  They're now one game away from running the table this season, and will probably end up playing Boise State again for alternative bragging rights, unless Boise State, Auburn, and Oregon stumble.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1418 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »

Rest in peace, Mr. Anderson.

Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1419 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »

Poooooooooor Longhorns!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1420 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »

What happened to America's team  Roll Eyes

The Big Tuna left... Wink

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1421 on: November 08, 2010, 01:11:20 AM »

America's Team is now in Oregon, and they're a bunch of quacks. Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:11:28 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1422 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:47 AM »

The only Ducks with a championship that I know of come from Anaheim California...

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1423 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »

ESPN 8:00 pm Eastern

This should certainly be worth watching tonight. I remember watching Marcus Dupree on TV when he played for Oklahoma. He had the potential to be better than Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. An incredible talent that never came close to achieving all the expectations. I also read a wonderful book by the late Mississippi author Willie Morris called The Courting of Marcus Dupree (see link below). The book masterfully detailed the chaos of college football recruiting while intertwining the history of civil rights in Philadelphia, Mississippi (Marcus Dupree's hometown) where three civil rights workers were murdered in 1964. This is one of the most intriguing sports stories I know.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1424 on: November 10, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »

I-CHI-RO! I-CHI-RO! I-CHI-RO!

Seattle Mariner right fielder Ichiro Suzuki ties an AL record by winning his 10th straight Gold Glove.

Amazing range... amazing plays... a throwing arm to rival that of the great Roberto Clemente... (He even pitched a bit while in Japan before he signed with the Mariners in 2001. Fastball in the mid 90's.)
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #1425 on: November 10, 2010, 03:04:44 AM »

Seattle Mariner right fielder Ichiro Suzuki ties an AL record by winning his 10th straight Gold Glove.

Yeah, you gotta give the guy respect Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1426 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »

I-CHI-RO! I-CHI-RO! I-CHI-RO!

Wow!  Shocked  Cool

Hats off to him.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1427 on: November 13, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »

Yeah, you gotta give the guy respect Smiley
Yup. NEVER try to run from first to third on a single to right field when Ichiro's manning that area. Shocked
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1428 on: November 14, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »

WOW! Shocked The Ducks weather their first real challenge of the season against the Pac-10's best defense. The Golden Bears hold the nation's highest scoring offense to ONE touchdown and hold Heisman candidate LaMichael James to 91 yards on 28 carries, but the Ducks prevail on the strength of their own defense (Cal QB Brock Mansion completes only 10 of his 28 passes for 69 yards), a 64-yard punt return for TD by Cliff Harris, and a long drive that ate up the last 9:25 of the 4th quarter to preserve their extremely narrow lead.

Oregon 15, California 13

Ducks now 10-0 and still in contention for the BCS national championship.

Next up: an open week followed by a home game against the Arizona Wildcats on Nov. 26.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:24:46 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1429 on: November 14, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »

WOW! Shocked The Ducks weather their first real challenge of the season against the Pac-10's best defense. The Golden Bears hold the nation's highest scoring offense to ONE touchdown and hold Heisman candidate LaMichael James to 91 yards on 28 carries, but the Ducks prevail on the strength of their own defense (Cal QB Brock Mansion completes only 10 of his 28 passes for 69 yards), a 64-yard punt return for TD by Cliff Harris, and a long drive that ate up the last 9:25 of the 4th quarter to preserve their extremely narrow lead.

Oregon 15, California 13

Next up: an open week followed by a home game against the Arizona Wildcats on Nov. 26.

I knew Cal would give the Ducks a close game, but I can't believe Oregon only scored 15 points. Wow! But a win is a win, and you guys are still on track to the National Championship game. Remember how my Crimson Tide barely squeaked by Tennessee last year.

BTW, your coach was funny when he was interviewed at halftime.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1430 on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »

Oregon 15, California 13

I knew Cal would give the Ducks a close game, but I can't believe Oregon only scored 15 points. Wow! But a win is a win, and you guys are still on track to the National Championship game. Remember how my Crimson Tide barely squeaked by Tennessee last year.

BTW, your coach was funny when he was interviewed at halftime.

Selam
I wonder what would have happened if the Golden Bear kicker hadn't drawn a flag on his own attempt at a FG. I guess he made a chip shot FG but was flagged for illegal motion leading up to his kick. Pushed 5 yards farther away from the goal post, he missed his second attempt, and his team ended up losing by 2. Hey, I'm on the winning side of that gaffe. I'll take it. Grin
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:20:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1431 on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:24 AM »

GO 'BAMA! You guys have one more opponent before you play Auburn, but Auburn's next opponent is YOU.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Taxiarches

« Reply #1432 on: November 14, 2010, 02:02:09 AM »

GO 'BAMA! You guys have one more opponent before you play Auburn, but Auburn's next opponent is YOU.

I hope we can knock them off of their high horse. I have been reserving judgment about the whole Cam Newton fiasco, but I'm starting to turn on him now. He's clearly the best college football player in the nation, but today he lost any credibility he had left in my eyes. Why doesn't he come out and declare his innocence? And after all his scandalous actions during his time at Florida, why does he act so defiant and cocky? If he had shown some solemnity and humility during all this, and still come out and dominated on the field of play, then fine. But he's out there jumping around, flashing that million dollar smile (or should I say $200,000 smile?), and slapping a Georgia player in the head. His actions and attitude seem to indicate that he really doesn't give a darn about any of this. That's troubling. If my name and character were being dragged through the mud, I would do everything I could to prove my innocence and to demonstrate that I had changed as a person. One thing is certain: if he does win the Heisman and the Aubbies do win the Naitonal Championship, they will need a lifetime supply of Pledge or Old English to get all the tarnish off those trophies.  

I'm for your Ducks all the way from here out Peter, regardless of who they play!

Selam
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:03:33 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1433 on: November 14, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »

I hope we can knock them off of their high horse. I have been reserving judgment about the whole Cam Newton fiasco, but I'm starting to turn on him now. He's clearly the best college football player in the nation, but today he lost any credibility he had left in my eyes. Why doesn't he come out and declare his innocence? And after all his scandalous actions during his time at Florida, why does he act so defiant and cocky? If he had shown some solemnity and humility during all this, and still come out and dominated on the field of play, then fine. But he's out there jumping around, flashing that million dollar smile (or should I say $200,000 smile?), and slapping a Georgia player in the head. His actions and attitude seem to indicate that he really doesn't give a darn about any of this. That's troubling. If my name and character were being dragged through the mud, I would do everything I could to prove my innocence and to demonstrate that I had changed as a person. One thing is certain: if he does win the Heisman and the Aubbies do win the Naitonal Championship, they will need a lifetime supply of Pledge or Old English to get all the tarnish off those trophies.  

I'm for your Ducks all the way from here out Peter, regardless of who they play!

Selam
Okay, Gebre, why don't you tell us how you really feel? Wink
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1434 on: November 14, 2010, 02:32:58 AM »

Ho hum, the Longhorns lost another one; just not their year, I suppose.

The Bears gave the Ducks a scare in Berserkeley, just didn't have enough of the right stuff at the right time to pull off the upset.  Oregon should have no trouble running the table now.

And while the Ducks and the Aubies were getting scares, the Horned Frogs played their last game in Amon G. Carter Stadium as we know it (the stadium gets a massive rebuild in the off-season).  The Frogs seemed to revert to early-season form, falling behind by two touchdowns before getting their act together and grinding it out on the Aztecs, who, as Gary Patterson indicated they might, played a respectable game and turned the planned Froggie blowout into a real contest.

At the end of the day, the BCS was spared a major embarrassment; everything remained essentially as it was, and it looks like Oregon and Auburn for the Championship, and TCU and Boise State for bragging rights.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1435 on: November 14, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/default2.aspx?id=341053

CALGARY -- The Calgary Dinos weren't about let a big half-time lead go to waste against the University of Alberta Golden Bears.

Slotback Anthony Parker caught a pair of touchdown passes to lead the Dinos to their third-straight Canada West title, a dominating 56-3 win over Alberta in the Hardy Cup on Saturday.

--------------------------------

Clearly my school team forgot to show up to play...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1436 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:59 AM »

CALGARY -- The Calgary Dinos weren't about let a big half-time lead go to waste against the University of Alberta Golden Bears.

Slotback Anthony Parker caught a pair of touchdown passes to lead the Dinos to their third-straight Canada West title, a dominating 56-3 win over Alberta in the Hardy Cup on Saturday.

"Was there a game today, coach? I forgot." Roll Eyes

I had a fellow trombonist do that one night. We three student trombonists had practiced the first movement of a concerto for three trombones for performance only to see our second trombonist forget to show up for the concert. Fortunately our band director was also a trombonist and could step in for him, but he certainly was NOT happy about having to do that. I'm pretty sure he docked our absentee trombonist a couple of letter grades for that act of flakiness. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:13:44 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1437 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:48 AM »

Interesting that this article mentions a QB named Travis Lulay. That fellow played his high school ball for a small Catholic school in my home state of Oregon.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1438 on: November 14, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »

Interesting that this article mentions a QB named Travis Lulay. That fellow played his high school ball for a small Catholic school in my home state of Oregon.

Oops, wrong link for the article I meant to post: http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=341088

As for Travis Lulay, he is from Oregon. Smiley

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1439 on: November 14, 2010, 04:27:33 AM »

Oops, wrong link for the article I meant to post: http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=341088

As for Travis Lulay, he is from Oregon. Smiley
Yup. Regis High School in Stayton.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: