WHAT HAPPENED, GEBRE?
South Carolina out-played us and out-coached us today. Sometimes you just have give credit to the opponent and regroup. My immediate assessment of the game:
1. The fake field goal was a huge coaching error.
2. McElroy holds on to the ball WAY too long. 8 sacks! I can't blame the offensive line when McElroy refuses to get rid of the ball. He's had a bad habit of doing that all year, and it seems to be getting worse.
3. South Carolina beat us at our own game. They established the run and that opened up the pass. We tried to force the passing game early, and that eliminated our ability to establish the run. It's ridiculous that our Heisman trophy winner and Trent Richardson didn't rush for 100 yards combined.
4. At the half, I thought that South Carolina would have to find a way lose the game in the second half in order for us to have a chance. The safety got us back into the game, and then we had a great opportunity when we intercepted Garcia shortly thereafter. But then we tried that lame fake field goal, and that was it.
5. Alshon Jeffery is a great reciever. He was outstanding today, and Garcia did an outstanding job of getting him the ball and allowing him the opportunity to make plays.
6. I never thought we were as a good as the pundits said. I thought we were good, and deserving of our ranking, but I never bought into the idea that we were head and shoulders above everyone else. There's too much parity in college football today, especially in the SEC.
Congrats to the Gamecocks. A great win for their coach and their program. Well deserved. Now we'll see what our character is made of. Hopefully this loss will turn out to be a blessing in the long run. I trust that Saban will use this loss as a trememdous teaching opportunity.
Win or lose, I'm still proud to be a BAMA