OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 09:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 395758 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1305 on: September 18, 2010, 03:13:46 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9bDZ4ej_w

These two videos of goal line hot-dogging gaffes have something in common.  Can you guess what that is?

I'll give you a hint.  The same player: DeSean Jackson, now with the Philadelphia Eagles.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:25:59 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1306 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »

Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1307 on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »

UO Ducks 69, Portland State Vikings 0 - not at all surprising, since PSU plays in a lower division

OSU Beavers 35, Louisville Cardinals 28 - Beavers pull out tough home win in spite of stats that would suggest they got outplayed

And then one for Gebre:

Crimson Tide 62, Duke Blue Devils 13
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1308 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:43 AM »

And then one for Gebre:

Crimson Tide 62, Duke Blue Devils 13

Smiley

Yeah. I kept expecting to see Coach K on the sidelines with a headset on in the second half.

I don't know if we're that good or Duke's that bad. Probably a little bit of both.

Good day for the Ducks and the Tide! Let's keep it rolling!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1309 on: September 19, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »

The Ducks won't be seriously challenged till they hit their Pac-10 schedule.

Cal was a notorious disappointment last night. Texas just did take care of business against Tech.  But TCU feasted on Baylor Bear meat.  And Boisie State easily threw Wyoming, to keep things interesting in the West.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1310 on: September 19, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »

The Ducks won't be seriously challenged till they hit their Pac-10 schedule.

Cal was a notorious disappointment last night. Texas just did take care of business against Tech.  But TCU feasted on Baylor Bear meat.  And Boisie State easily threw Wyoming, to keep things interesting in the West.
Oregon State's next opponent:  Boise State (in Boise on the Smurf Turf)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1311 on: September 19, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »

YIKES!!! Shocked  The Cubs' Tyler Colvin stabbed in the chest by a flying piece of teammate Welington Castillo's broken bat while rounding third base to score on Castillo's ground rule double.  I pray he comes out of this okay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5592592
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1312 on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

YIKES!!! Shocked  The Cubs' Tyler Colvin stabbed in the chest by a flying piece of teammate Welington Castillo's broken bat while rounding third base to score on Castillo's ground rule double.  I pray he comes out of this okay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5592592

Shocked

Lord, have mercy.

Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1313 on: September 19, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

Good argument for aluminum bats.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1314 on: September 19, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »

Good argument for aluminum bats.
Good arguments against aluminum bats:  The velocity of hits coming off big league swings means pitchers actually getting killed by line drives.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1315 on: September 19, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »

I don't know what I think about the 'clang' of metal bats, when someone gets a hit, versus the 'crack' sound of wooden bats. Something that comes to mind whenever I watch the college games, versus the professional games.  Undecided

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1316 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

I don't know what I think about the 'clang' of metal bats, when someone gets a hit, versus the 'crack' sound of wooden bats. Something that comes to mind whenever I watch the college games, versus the professional games.  Undecided
One big difference:  what happens when a batter swings at a pitch and makes contact with it on the handle of the bat just above the hands...  With an aluminum bat, the ball may drop into the outfield for a cheap bloop single.  With a wooden bat, the bat likely breaks and the batter hits a weak groundout or pops out to an infielder.  Noting this difference, it takes a much better hitter to hit for the same average with a wooden bat.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1317 on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »

I somehow managed to get into the championship game in a fantasy BB league.  I'm only in the league because the owner begged me to join so they'd have 12 teams, even though I told him I didn't have the time for it.  I didn't make the draft, or rank my preferences.  I've made 4-6 trades all season, and have only begun switching lineups in the playoffs.  I literally logged in to check on my team 4 times all season before the Quarterfinals.  Now, I'm in the final after beating our league owner (an OC.net member that I won't identify at present).  He's furious. Grin

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1318 on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »

My CRIMSON TIDE struggled today against a good Arkansas team, but we showed championship character in the end. A lackluster, lethargic, and uninspired first half really put us behind the eight ball. We were losing 17-7 at halftime. In the second half we finally went to our bell cow, Heisman winner Mark Ingram, and it paid dividends. Our defense also adjusted nicely, and we squeaked it out. A courageous call by Saban to go four it on fourth and inches inside our own territory with under a minute to play sealed it for us. I say if you can't push a guy four inches for two seconds you don't deserve to win! McElroy got the first down on a QB sneak, and that was it.

That being said, we can't play like that anymore and expect to win. It's a grinding schedule from here on: Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennesssee, LSU... etc. We're not as good as all the hype, and the quicker we realize it the better off we'll be. I think Saban will take care of that!

Watching Peter's Ducks right now. I've kind of adopted them because of Peter. I really want them to do well (unless they meet the TIDE Wink)

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1319 on: September 26, 2010, 02:24:42 AM »

My CRIMSON TIDE struggled today against a good Arkansas team, but we showed championship character in the end. A lackluster, lethargic, and uninspired first half really put us behind the eight ball. We were losing 17-7 at halftime. In the second half we finally went to our bell cow, Heisman winner Mark Ingram, and it paid dividends. Our defense also adjusted nicely, and we squeaked it out. A courageous call by Saban to go four it on fourth and inches inside our own territory with under a minute to play sealed it for us. I say if you can't push a guy four inches for two seconds you don't deserve to win! McElroy got the first down on a QB sneak, and that was it.

That being said, we can't play like that anymore and expect to win. It's a grinding schedule from here on: Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennesssee, LSU... etc. We're not as good as all the hype, and the quicker we realize it the better off we'll be. I think Saban will take care of that!

Watching Peter's Ducks right now. I've kind of adopted them because of Peter. I really want them to do well (unless they meet the TIDE Wink)

Selam
Ducks win ugly tonight, as well.  Allow the ASU Sun Devils close to 600 yards total offense, yet win by forcing 7 turnovers, two of which they returned for TD's.  Ducks lead 42-31 at the end of the 3rd Quarter and win by that same score after neither team scores in the 4th.  Next up:  unbeaten Stanford at Autzen Stadium in Eugene.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:26:37 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1320 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:58 AM »

What is going on this week? 5 out of 14 of my NFL fantasy players are either injured or suspended.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1321 on: September 26, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »

TCU continued to win, playing only half a game against SMU.  Texas looked bad against UCLA--probably thinking ahead to the OU game.  And Cal almost managed to pull one off against Arizona, losing by a point in the last two minutes.

While the Tide does look good for the SEC West, they'll have to do better to repeat as overall champs.  Texas still has a shot at the Big XII title, but only if they get their act together and go undefeated from here on out.  And it's just not Cal's year:  Oregon's the team to beat in the Pac 10.  And I'll be surprised if Boisie State loses this year.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:07:26 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1322 on: September 26, 2010, 03:22:32 AM »

While the Tide does look good for the SEC West, they'll have to do better to repeat as overall champs.

My TIDE is gonna have to do much better to even win the West! Auburn looks strong, Miss State is much better this year, and LSU is a natural rivalry that is never easy. This Araknasas game can either drive us to humility or else make us think we can play sloppy and still eek out wins. I hope - and I trust - that Saban will get it into their heads that they have to play 100% every snap of every game.

Another thing to consider is this: had we lost to Arkansas in a close game and ran the table the rest of the way, we still would most likely play in the National Championship. But if we lose a game late, say to LSU or Auburn, it might be too late to recover. But don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won today!

BTW, Congrats Peter! Smiley

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1323 on: September 26, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

Selam
Ducks win ugly tonight, as well.  Allow the ASU Sun Devils close to 600 yards total offense, yet win by forcing 7 turnovers, two of which they returned for TD's.  Ducks lead 42-31 at the end of the 3rd Quarter and win by that same score after neither team scores in the 4th.  Next up:  unbeaten Stanford at Autzen Stadium in Eugene.
Cute tidbit about the Stanford Cardinal:  I notice that their two-way player, FB/ILB Owen Marecic (a graduate from the best HS football team ever to play in the state of Oregon--fast forward to the 0:10 mark on this video to see Marecic (FB) open a huge hole on the power sweep to spring his tailback loose for a 45-yard TD run to open the OSAA 2006 Class 6A Championship Final, a game his team won 56-7) scored TD's on both offense and defense within a span of only 13 seconds in the 4th quarter to bury Notre Dame.  1-yard run followed by a 20-yard pick-6.

Added note about the Jesuit HS football video:  At about the 0:40 mark you can see one of the most devastating LEGAL crackback blocks I've ever seen--the block lands a defender flat on his can and sends him sliding backwards about five yards! Shocked  That was such a powerful hit the video even plays it again.  BOOM!!! Grin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:18:31 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1324 on: September 27, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »

Oh, it's been a good weekend for me!  The Cowboys finally won one (Romo decided to show up, I guess), TCU keeps gittin' 'er done, and...

...drum roll please...

My Rangers clinched the AL West and are going post-regular for the first time in ELEVEN YEARS.

WOO HOO!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1325 on: September 27, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »

TCU actually dropped a spot in the rankings.  Coach Patterson was not happy--and with good reason--about how he and his team performed Friday night.  If the Frogs want to go anywhere postseason, they'd better step it up.  Just saying we're in better shape than the Cowboys won't cut it.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1326 on: September 28, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »

Bill Buckner x2:  http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12510329&topic_id=&c_id=mlb
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:46:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1327 on: September 28, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »

They must have received a rough reception in the clubhouse after the game.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1328 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »

Once again, the Pirates LOSE 100 games in a season. Sad  Can somebody tell me how a National League team leads the Majors in MOST runs allowed (and, for that matter, how an AL team leads the Majors for FEWEST runs scored, and with Ichiro at the top of their lineup)?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:43:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1329 on: September 29, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »

I'll bet anyone here a barrel of blood wine and they won't lose 100 again next year. That's not to say that they'll get to a .500 record, of course.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1330 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:45 AM »

Oh, dear.   Sad  I'm not a Pirates fan, but my goodness.   Huh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1331 on: September 30, 2010, 03:31:55 AM »

Eh, I think most of us South-Western-PAers are pretty indifferent about it at this point Smiley

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1332 on: September 30, 2010, 03:40:35 AM »

I'll bet anyone here a barrel of blood wine and they won't lose 100 again next year. That's not to say that they'll get to a .500 record, of course.

If only I knew how to get a barrel of blood wine I may take that bet. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1333 on: September 30, 2010, 04:11:06 AM »

Eh, I think most of us South-Western-PAers are pretty indifferent about it at this point Smiley

The Pirates are chumps.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1334 on: September 30, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »

OK, folks:  way back when Colorado and Nebraska decided to forsake the Big XII, I said this would have reprecussions in the west that would move to the east coast eventually.  Well, it's beginning to happen.  Take a gander at this:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/29/2506252/tcu-big-east-have-discussed-frogs.html

The move would have three advantages for TCU:  membership in a converence having an automatic BCS berth, only an hour's worth of jet lag, instead of the two now possible with some MWC sites, and a richer conference TV contract with greater exposure in the east.

For the Big East, adding TCU would provide an upgrade to its football program and a hedge against possible future raids by other conferences, not to mention a presence in both Florida and Texas, two of the richest recruiting areas in the country.

The move, if it came off, would leave the west outside the Pac 12 in a debacle, with both the Mountain West and the WAC scrambling for survival and legitimacy as BCS-worthy conferences.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1335 on: October 02, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »

Tiger's back.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1336 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »

Soon, it will be hockey season!   Smiley

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1337 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »

This just in from Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR:  No. 9 Stanford Cardinal 31, No. 4 Oregon Ducks 52

After spotting the Cardinal a 21-3 lead in the first quarter, my Ducks get the job done by outscoring Stanford 49-10 the rest of the way.  Duck RB La Michael James rushes for 257 yards on 31 carries, including a 76-yard TD run on the Ducks' final offensive play.

A note on Chip Kelly's gutsy play calling for the Ducks:  After the Ducks score a TD to cut to within 10-21 early in the second quarter, he has his kicker boot an onside kick, and the kicker recovers it!  Ducks use that kick to start another scoring drive.

GO DUCKS!!! Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:53:16 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #1338 on: October 03, 2010, 01:36:21 AM »

My Horned Frogs did it again--played half a game, and still won.  They may go undefeated, and win the Mountain West, but they won't get into the BCS championship or a major bowl that way.  And as for the Longhorns, They won't make it to the Big XII championship now, and will have to settle for a lesser bowl.  And, most mercifully, Cal didn't play this week.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1339 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:44 AM »

On the Pirates: Highs, lows of a lost summer

The article left something out. The AA team of the Pirates is the Altoona Curve. The Curve went 82-60 this year, made the playoffs, and then won their league championship. The manager also won the manager of the year award for the league. One news article commented: "In six seasons as a minor league manager, Walbeck has won three regular-season or league championships and four manager of the year awards." Sounds like the Pirates are lucky to have this guy. So the Pirates did what any sensible organization would do in a case like that.

They fired the manager.

With no explanation given to the public.

That's our beloved Buccos!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:00:45 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1340 on: October 03, 2010, 03:27:23 AM »

Gator meat sure tastes sweet! BAMA beats down the Gators once again!

ALABAMA 31  -  FLORIDA 6

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   

BTW, Congrats to Peter's DUCKS! Wink

Selam

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1341 on: October 03, 2010, 03:55:48 AM »

[Error].
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:15:01 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1342 on: October 03, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »

This just in from Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR:  No. 9 Stanford Cardinal 31, No. 4 Oregon Ducks 52

After spotting the Cardinal a 21-3 lead in the first quarter, my Ducks get the job done by outscoring Stanford 49-10 the rest of the way.  Duck RB La Michael James rushes for 257 yards on 31 carries, including a 76-yard TD run on the Ducks' final offensive play.

A note on Chip Kelly's gutsy play calling for the Ducks:  After the Ducks score a TD to cut to within 10-21 early in the second quarter, he has his kicker boot an onside kick, and the kicker recovers it!  Ducks use that kick to start another scoring drive.

GO DUCKS!!! Grin Grin Grin
And, lest I forget, Arizona State just lost to an Oregon school for the second straight week.  This time the Beavers beat them in Corvallis 31-28.  Fortunately for the Sun Devils, they've already played all the major Oregon universities, including their beat down of lower division Portland State, so they have no more to whom they can lose this year.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1343 on: October 03, 2010, 05:33:35 AM »

Hey Peter,

Could it be possible? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Perhaps all of our OC.net debates will be settled in a National Championship game between the TIDE and the DUCKS?! Grin

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1344 on: October 03, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »

Hey Peter,

Could it be possible? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Perhaps all of our OC.net debates will be settled in a National Championship game between the TIDE and the DUCKS?! Grin

Selam
Could happen. The Ducks just jumped to No. 3 in both of the major polls. The only team that stands between your Tide and my Ducks is Ohio State. When do the first BCS rankings come out?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1345 on: October 04, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »

Hey Peter,

Selam
Could happen. The Ducks just jumped to No. 3 in both of the major polls. The only team that stands between your Tide and my Ducks is Ohio State. When do the first BCS rankings come out?

I'm not sure. Buy we have a tough schedule ahead, so I'm not gonna take anything for granted. That would be a fun game though!

BTW, I just took my sons to see Nick Saban: Game Changer. An excellent documentary, full of great lessons and principles that are applicable to all walks of life. Anyone interested in sports, coaching, teaching, management, business, etc. will learn a lot from this movie.

http://flashlightmediagroup.com/sabanmovie/

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »

On the Pirates: Highs, lows of a lost summer

The article left something out. The AA team of the Pirates is the Altoona Curve. The Curve went 82-60 this year, made the playoffs, and then won their league championship. The manager also won the manager of the year award for the league. One news article commented: "In six seasons as a minor league manager, Walbeck has won three regular-season or league championships and four manager of the year awards." Sounds like the Pirates are lucky to have this guy. So the Pirates did what any sensible organization would do in a case like that.

They fired the manager.

With no explanation given to the public.

That's our beloved Buccos!
I just noticed that the Pirates tied the record set by the 1962 New York Mets for futility on the road this year with their 17-64 record away from home.  It got so bad one of your players put on the wrong jersey, one that had the team name spelled out in Spanish, for their game yesterday--an umpire told him to change his uniform so he could look like everyone else on his team some time in the 4th inning.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1347 on: October 04, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »

At least things can only get better next time!   Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1348 on: October 06, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »

Moss Getting Traded?

"Randy Moss' improbable return to Minnesota is about to become reality..."

Interesting.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1349 on: October 07, 2010, 03:43:51 AM »

I see that Phillies ace Roy Halladay just threw his second no-no of the year, and only the second no-hitter ever thrown in the postseason, Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series being the first.
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles Godwin's Law 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: