OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 11:05:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 419412 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1260 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »

Not only was he an amazing defensive player, he was also an incredible humanitarian and philanthropist.  He spent almost all his earnings as an NBA player (and as a celebrity after retirement) on various causes to relieve the suffering of people in his native Sudan.  

There have been few selfless sports figures of his stature.  He will certainly be missed.

Vicnaja pamjat!

That's very sad. What was the cause of death?
As per this article, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/sports/basketball/20bol.html, the cause of death was severe kidney trouble and complications of a rare skin disorder known as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

(You look at the pic of him in this article and you see just how much Mr. Bol looked like one of those stick figures kids like to draw.  That guy was extremely tall and extremely skinny! Shocked)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:13:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1261 on: June 24, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »

Sports question of the day:  Did anyone see any part of that Wimbledon match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut?  The match that took three days to complete?  The match that was suspended because of darkness twice?  I think the final score was 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 70-68.  At 11 hours and 5 minutes, the match was the longest ever in pro tennis history.  The fifth set alone took over 8 hours to complete.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/john-isner-nicolas-mahut-longest-tennis-match-wimbledon-062410?GT1=39002
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1262 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:32 PM »

For some reason I only watch tennis when Slavic women are playing... Cool

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1263 on: June 25, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »

Sports question of the day:  Did anyone see any part of that Wimbledon match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut?  The match that took three days to complete?  The match that was suspended because of darkness twice?  I think the final score was 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 70-68.  At 11 hours and 5 minutes, the match was the longest ever in pro tennis history.  The fifth set alone took over 8 hours to complete.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/john-isner-nicolas-mahut-longest-tennis-match-wimbledon-062410?GT1=39002
No rest for the weary.  Isner's next match was scheduled for the very next day, and he had absolutely nothing left in the tank as he lost in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3, 6-2.  Now he'll have plenty of time to sleep before his next match.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1264 on: June 26, 2010, 01:27:38 AM »

And the Rays get no-hit for the third time in eleven months.  They even loaded the bases with walks to start the third and couldn't score.  Congratulations to Edwin Jackson!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300625130&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1265 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »

LeBron, I am your father.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/07/08/lebron.james.lawsuit/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1266 on: July 08, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »

I am waiting with bated breath, sweatty palms, a lump in my throat... the earth will halt on its axis in a few hours... (the World Cup? What's that?)... at 8:00 p.m. tonight, we will find out the most important decision in the history of sports: What will Lebron do?!!!        Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1267 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »

Everything Jordan was, Magic was too.  What sets Magic above Jordan in my mind, however, is that Johnson was a more versatile player who knew from the start of his career how to submit his personal goals to the good of the team and do whatever was necessary in any given game for his team to win.  Sadly, that cannot be said of Michael Jordan.

Jordan's 6 NBA titles says otherwise.
Extremely simplistic argument for a number of reasons.
1.  Tommy Heinsohn won 8 NBA titles as a player.  By your logic, wouldn't that make him better than Jordan?  Dennis Rodman won 5 NBA titles, yet you'd have to be insane to argue that that alone makes him better than Magic Johnson.
2.  The 1980's have been deemed the NBA's toughest era ever with the number of good teams that played then.  Magic and his Lakers had to face such teams as the Sixers with Moses Malone and Dr. J, Larry Bird's Celtics, and the "Bad Boy" Detroit Pistons to win their four NBA titles.  Did Jordan's Bulls ever have a consistent arch-nemesis during their run to six?  Did the Bulls ever play a team the caliber of any the Lakers beat to win their titles?
3.  Teams win championships, not individual players.  As little as he and you may actually want to recognize this, Jordan would not have won a single one of his NBA titles without a team of good players to support him and feed off his skills, without Phil Jackson as head coach using his Zen master skills to actually get Jordan on the same page with the rest of the team, and without Tex Winter's triangle offense.  As I mentioned earlier, Scottie Pippen also won 6 NBA titles and did something without Jordan that Jordan never did without Pippen: actually advance to the conference finals.

Having said all this, I'll conclude by telling you that I think you've bought too much into the hype of how Jordan is the greatest of all time.  He's certainly a great player--don't get me wrong--and arguably the greatest ever to play his position, but there's no way in my mind that anyone can rightly call Jordan the greatest player ever.

You are entitled to you opinion.

Selam
So you concede the superiority of my logic? Wink

I'll revisit this tomorrow. Some of what you say is valid, but a lot of it I will refute.
I don't think you can, since I've read most of the arguments for ranking Jordan #1 all time.  I just don't agree totally with them.  Jordan was no doubt the greatest scorer of all time, but he was too much of a "me first" player to really fit into any kind of a team concept.

Too tired right now. But I would put Magic #2 on my all time list, maybe tied with "the Big O."
Yeah, I could agree that Oscar Robertson is a worthy rival to Magic as a candidate for "Greatest of All Time".  Average a triple double for one season and almost do that again for another two.
Expanding on this:

The Big O averaged a triple-double for his first five seasons combined!  From 1960 to the summer of 1965, Oscar Robertson averaged 30.3 points, 10.6 assists, and 10.4 rebounds per game.  I think that versatility puts him above both MJ's for best ever.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1268 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »

I am waiting with bated breath, sweatty palms, a lump in my throat... the earth will halt on its axis in a few hours... (the World Cup? What's that?)... at 8:00 p.m. tonight, we will find out the most important decision in the history of sports: What will Lebron do?!!!        Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Selam
Looks like he's decided to join Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bkn_lebron_s_decision;_ylt=AmHcxhm37aQldpZvgq8_JS5bbBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTFiZjh1aDV2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9icmVha2luZ19uZXdzBHNsawNicmVha2luZ25ld3M-

Sorry, Cleveland, but it looks like you just got doomed to another era of mediocrity. 
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1269 on: July 08, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »

Let's gather together and give the City of Cleveland a big luv hug... Tongue

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1270 on: July 13, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

WOW! Shocked I just read the news that George Steinbrenner died of a heart attack today.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/13/steinbrenner.obit/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1271 on: July 13, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »

Costanza, where is my Calzone...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1272 on: July 13, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »

He can have all the calzones he wants now. Terrific businessman Steinbrenner was. I can't say I cared much for the Yankees, but him I can respect.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1273 on: July 13, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »

Yep, the Boss loved his team...being a BosSox fan, I do respect Jeter, loyal to his team to the end, don't find many like him...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1274 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:01 AM »

How about that!!?  The slowest guy in baseball, Bengie Molina, needs a triple to hit for the cycle.  And what does he do?  He hits a triple.  How's that for a slowpoke? laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1275 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »

Good for him Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1276 on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:17 AM »

Methinks the Cardinals and Reds don't like each other.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1277 on: August 21, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »

I'm so happy and proud right now. It's been a long, long time, but we're finally back. And this was the greatest season in Alabama's storied history. SEC Champions. Heisman Trophy winner. 14-0. NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

I congratulate Texas on fighting back and making it a ball game. They have a great team and they played with class. I really hate that Colt McCoy got hurt, but I think we still would have won.

It's a great day for the state of Alabama. It's another great day for the SEC. The "Process" is in place, and it will produce great things for years to come. For most people, college football is an interesting passtime; but for TIDE fans, it's a way of life.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP #13!

BAMA 37  -  TEXAS 21

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  

Selam
So what do you think of the Tide's chances of repeating?  They're ranked No. 1 in the preseason AP poll.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:20:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1278 on: August 22, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »

I'm so happy and proud right now. It's been a long, long time, but we're finally back. And this was the greatest season in Alabama's storied history. SEC Champions. Heisman Trophy winner. 14-0. NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

I congratulate Texas on fighting back and making it a ball game. They have a great team and they played with class. I really hate that Colt McCoy got hurt, but I think we still would have won.

It's a great day for the state of Alabama. It's another great day for the SEC. The "Process" is in place, and it will produce great things for years to come. For most people, college football is an interesting passtime; but for TIDE fans, it's a way of life.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP #13!

BAMA 37  -  TEXAS 21

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  

Selam
So what do you think of the Tide's chances of repeating?  They're ranked No. 1 in the preseason AP poll.

I'm excited! It will be very tough to repeat though. Preseason rankings don't mean much to me. We already have a big old bullseye on our back. We lost a lot on defense. Defensively we'll be talented but inexperienced. Talent but not much experience in the secondary. If Donta' Hightower stays healthy, we may be OK. He's gonna have to step in and fill Rolando McClain's shoes. I think he can do it barring injury.

On the other side of the ball we should be fine. Loaded at running back and receiver. Should be decent on the offensive line. And we'll be deep at QB for the first time in many years. I expect big things from McElroy this year.

The are many questions with the kicking game and special teams. Javier Arenas was an exceptional player, and he won many games for us both with his return ability and his DB skills. Looks like Julio Jones will be returning punts, which is exciting but nerve racking. Don't want to see him get hurt. But I have learned not to question Nick Saban's judgement.

I'm just excited that college football is almost here! It's really the only sport I follow anymore. If Saban can keep them humble and focused, we may have a chance. I don't see us going undefeated though. But we might still be able to get to the National Championship with one loss.

BTW, I can't wait to see this movie when it comes out next week!
(Of course it might not necessarily be coming to "a theater near you." Wink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCSnDGECL4

Selam

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:55:42 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1279 on: August 22, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »

I'm excited! It will be very tough to repeat though. Preseason rankings don't mean much to me. We already have a big old bullseye on our back. We lost a lot on defense. Defensively we'll be talented but inexperienced. Talent but not much experience in the secondary. If Donta' Hightower stays healthy, we may be OK. He's gonna have to step in and fill Rolando McClain's shoes. I think he can do it barring injury.

On the other side of the ball we should be fine. Loaded at running back and receiver. Should be decent on the offensive line. And we'll be deep at QB for the first time in many years. I expect big things from McElroy this year.

The are many questions with the kicking game and special teams. Javier Arenas was an exceptional player, and he won many games for us both with his return ability and his DB skills. Looks like Julio Jones will be returning punts, which is exciting but nerve racking. Don't want to see him get hurt. But I have learned not to question Nick Saban's judgement.

I'm just excited that college football is almost here! It's really the only sport I follow anymore. If Saban can keep them humble and focused, we may have a chance. I don't see us going undefeated though. But we might still be able to get to the National Championship with one loss.
Yup, it's about that time of year again.  Maybe my Oregon Ducks will face Bama sometime this year.  Not likely, though.  The Ducks have an unusual off-season from which to recover.  Their starting quarterback, one-time Heisman Trophy candidate Jeremiah Masoli, got suspended for the season after pleading guilty to charges that he burglarized a frat house and stole a laptop, and then he got kicked off the team altogether after pleading guilty to charges of marijuana possession.  (At least with LeGarrette Blount, you had someone who committed his infraction inside the stadium and who showed himself clearly penitent in the several weeks following.)  The Ducks are ranked No. 11 even without Masoli, but losing their QB in such a manner as they did has to hurt.  Chip Kelly built their whole offense around his ability to both run the spread option and throw the ball downfield.  Oh well.  Can't have a convicted felon on the team, so I guess they're just going to have to move on without him.  The Oregon State Beavers are also ranked, along with bowl-ineligible USC, giving the Pac-10 only three Top 25 teams to start the season, so it should be another good year for college football in the state of Oregon.

I also notice that Boise State is ranked No. 3, the highest a team from a non-BCS conference has EVER been ranked in any AP poll.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:45:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1280 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:23 AM »

Yup, it's about that time of year again.  Maybe my Oregon Ducks will face Bama sometime this year.  Not likely, though.  The Ducks have an unusual off-season from which to recover.  Their starting quarterback, one-time Heisman Trophy candidate Jeremiah Masoli, got suspended for the season after pleading guilty to charges that he burglarized a frat house and stole a laptop, and then he got kicked off the team altogether after pleading guilty to charges of marijuana possession.  (At least with LeGarrette Blount, you had someone who committed his infraction inside the stadium and who showed himself clearly penitent in the several weeks following.)  The Ducks are ranked No. 11 even without Masoli, but losing their QB in such a manner as they did has to hurt.  Chip Kelly built their whole offense around his ability to both run the spread option and throw the ball downfield.  Oh well.  Can't have a convicted felon on the team, so I guess they're just going to have to move on without him.  The Oregon State Beavers are also ranked, along with bowl-ineligible USC, giving the Pac-10 only three Top 25 teams to start the season, so it should be another good year for college football in the state of Oregon.

I also notice that Boise State is ranked No. 3, the highest a team from a non-BCS conference has EVER been ranked in any AP poll.

Yeah, Masoli is down here in the deep south now! Walked on at Ole Miss for his last year of eligibility. It's really sparked a lot of controversy and talk show conversation, but the consensus of the Ole Miss fan base seems to be that if he helps them win they don't care. Personally, I wouldn't want him at BAMA, and I don't think Saban would want him either. But he's an exciting player to watch, and we'll have to face him in October.

Good luck to your Ducks this year! Smiley

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1281 on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »

Yeah, Masoli is down here in the deep south now! Walked on at Ole Miss for his last year of eligibility. It's really sparked a lot of controversy and talk show conversation, but the consensus of the Ole Miss fan base seems to be that if he helps them win they don't care. Personally, I wouldn't want him at BAMA, and I don't think Saban would want him either. But he's an exciting player to watch, and we'll have to face him in October.

Selam
Thanks for the support.  Thinking of Masoli's troubles reminded me of another nut case we had a few years ago.  In 2004, the Ducks "signed" an O-lineman who had been suspended by the Cornhuskers for a series of off-field incidents despite his ineligibility to play for the Ducks that year due to NCAA transfer rules.  Within only a matter of days, Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly's predecessor, kicked this young man off the team.  This man, Richie Incognito, was recently recognized by Sports Illustrated as the seventh dirtiest player in the NFL, an award he validated a few weeks later by drawing two personal fouls in one game for headbutting opponents. Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1282 on: August 23, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »

On another note, I just got word that Cubs manager, Lou Piniella, who had earlier announced his retirement effective at season's end, accelerated his plan and called today's game his final game as a big league manager.  Apparently, his mother's health has declined more rapidly than he had expected and he needs to devote more attention to her care NOW.  Maybe this will be the opportunity for my childhood idol, Hall-of-Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg, to get his chance as a big league manager after having managed the Cubs' AAA team in Des Moines for a few years.  However, there's also talk that he may need another couple of years seasoning in the minor leagues before he's allowed to take over his parent team.  If Ryno can successfully coach out of his players the same level of play that he demanded of himself every day of his career as a player, he should be one h**luva successful manager.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:10:08 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1283 on: August 23, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »

On another note, I just got word that Cubs manager, Lou Piniella, who had earlier announced his retirement effective at season's end, accelerated his plan and called today's game his final game as a big league manager.  Apparently, his mother's health has declined more rapidly than he had expected and he needs to devote more attention to her care NOW.  Maybe this will be the opportunity for my childhood idol, Hall-of-Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg, to get his chance as a big league manager after having managed the Cubs' AAA team in Des Moines for a few years.  However, there's also talk that he may need another couple of years seasoning in the minor leagues before he's allowed to take over his parent team.  If Ryno can successfully coach out of his players the same level of play that he demanded of himself every day of his career as a player, he should be one h**luva successful manager.
Even being a St. Louis fan, I must concur with you here. Sandberg would be a phenomenal manager. Perhaps he needs to stay in Des Moines until La Russa retires.... Wink

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1284 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »

Even being a St. Louis fan, I must concur with you here. Sandberg would be a phenomenal manager. Perhaps he needs to stay in Des Moines until La Russa retires.... Wink
He's ours.  You ain't getting him. Angry (I seem to recall that Ryno's breakout game in 1984, the game in which he went 5 for 6 with something like 6 RBI and hit a game-tying solo HR in the bottom of the 9th and a game-tying 2-run HR in the 10th, both off forkball-specialist closer Bruce Sutter, to help the Cubs win 12-11 in 11 innings...  That was against your Cardinals. Grin)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1285 on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

He's ours.  You ain't getting him. Angry (I seem to recall that Ryno's breakout game in 1984, the game in which he went 5 for 6 with something like 6 RBI and hit a game-tying solo HR in the bottom of the 9th and a game-tying 2-run HR in the 10th, both off forkball-specialist closer Bruce Sutter, to help the Cubs win 12-11 in 11 innings...  That was against your Cardinals. Grin)
Yeah, yeah. I seem to recall that next season we won the NL pennant and appeared in the World Series. You know, that series your Cubs used to play in back in 1945. Wink

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1286 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »

He's ours.  You ain't getting him. Angry (I seem to recall that Ryno's breakout game in 1984, the game in which he went 5 for 6 with something like 6 RBI and hit a game-tying solo HR in the bottom of the 9th and a game-tying 2-run HR in the 10th, both off forkball-specialist closer Bruce Sutter, to help the Cubs win 12-11 in 11 innings...  That was against your Cardinals. Grin)
Yeah, yeah. I seem to recall that next season we won the NL pennant and appeared in the World Series. You know, that series your Cubs used to play in back in 1945. Wink
Yup.  Proof that just having Sandberg and such other stars as Greg Maddux, Andre Dawson, and Dennis Eckersley wasn't enough to win the pennant in those years.  I seem to recall that in 1985, the Cubs were in first place in June before injuries took their toll--at one point in that season, they had all five regular starting pitchers on the DL.

You have to celebrate success when you can get it, since it might be another 60 years before your Cardinals make it back to the World Series, Albert Pujols notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:44:57 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1287 on: August 31, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

And Now For Something Completely Different:

Pittsburgh Steeler safety Troy Polamalu, whom we know as a pious Greek Orthodox Christian, sees his hair insured by Lloyds of London for one million dollars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Troy-Polamalu-s-long-locks-insured-for-1-millio?urn=nfl-266239
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:27:17 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1288 on: August 31, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »

Pittsburgh Steeler safety Troy Polamalu, whom we know as a pious Greek Orthodox Christian, sees his hair insured by Lloyds of London for one million dollars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Troy-Polamalu-s-long-locks-insured-for-1-millio?urn=nfl-266239

If only Andre Agassi had had such foresight.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1289 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »

Well, Andre's was a wig. Agassi was also a one time "born again" Evangelical. There are a lot of ironic analogies to be made of all that. Wink

Selam

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1290 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »

Well, Andre's was a wig. Agassi was also a one time "born again" Evangelical. There are a lot of ironic analogies to be made of all that. Wink

Selam

I had no idea it was a wig.  Shocked  Apparently, this was news last year.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1291 on: August 31, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

Selam

Peter, I just heard that Masoli will be inelligible this year.

Selam

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #1292 on: August 31, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »

Quote from: PeterTheAleut

I saw the picture of his hair before. I had no idea. Wow. I mean, wow.   Cheesy

Not posting
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1293 on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »

Selam

Peter, I just heard that Masoli will be inelligible this year.
Wouldn't surprise me.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1294 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

I saw the picture of his hair before. I had no idea. Wow. I mean, wow.   Cheesy
Yeah, he does have a pretty impressive mane. Grin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1295 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

I saw the picture of his hair before. I had no idea. Wow. I mean, wow.   Cheesy

I'm not too surprised at the move, only the source.  Lots of people who have a distinctive feature do so; there are orchestral players who have hand insurance, and people whose feet or hair or faces are used frequently in advertising who have insurance on the "moneymaking" part.  Troy is protecting something that can be used to provide for his family (an advertising asset) after football.  Considering his piety, dedication to prayer, and support of his local parish and some of our monasteries, I think it's ok. Cheesy

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1296 on: September 04, 2010, 10:47:18 PM »

This just in:  Ducks 72, New Mexico 0.  Ducks rack up a UO record 720 yds total offense (vs. only 107 for NM) and lead 59-0 at halftime.  OUCH!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked  I just hope the Ducks get a better opponent next week. Roll Eyes

EDIT:  The Ducks travel next week to Knoxville to play the Volunteers one week after they beat equally hapless (compared to New Mexico) Tennessee-Martin 50-0.  Somebody's gonna have their shutout streak broken.

The OSU Beavers also lost to the TCU Horned Frogs 21-30 after TCU outscored OSU 9-0 over the last 16 minutes of game time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:01:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1297 on: September 04, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »

The OSU Beavers also lost to the TCU Horned Frogs 21-30 after TCU outscored OSU 9-0 over the last 16 minutes of game time.

Yes, and the ignominy of it was that muffed snap which TCU recovered for a safety.

JerryWorld wasn't sold out for the game, but considering the prices...

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1298 on: September 04, 2010, 11:11:43 PM »

Yes, and the ignominy of it was that muffed snap which TCU recovered for a safety.
Recovered?  Or the ball just sailed/rolled out the back of the end zone?

EDIT:  Watching the replay, it actually looks as if Katz (the OSU QB) kicked the ball through the end zone to keep TCU from recovering it for a TD.  He may have gotten away with a penalizable offense.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:17:44 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1299 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »

I just learned that Ryno was named the Pacific Coast League Manager of the Year after leading the Iowa Cubs to the PCL's best regular season record.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1300 on: September 06, 2010, 07:47:47 AM »

The Masoli experiment didn't work out too well in week one. Ole Miss loses in overtime to Jacksonville State!

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1301 on: September 11, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »

EDIT:  The Ducks travel next week to Knoxville to play the Volunteers one week after they beat equally hapless (compared to New Mexico) Tennessee-Martin 50-0.  Somebody's gonna have their shutout streak broken.
Well, the Vols proved a better opponent than New Mexico, taking a 13-3 lead on the Ducks early in the second quarter, but the Ducks woke up and scored the next 45 points to win 48-13.  The game even featured an inclement weather delay:  thunderstorm in the first quarter.  No volunteers for fried duck.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:42:18 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1302 on: September 11, 2010, 11:46:33 PM »

Well, the Vols proved a better opponent than New Mexico, taking a 13-3 lead on the Ducks early in the second quarter, but the Ducks woke up and scored the next 45 points to win 48-13.  The game even featured an inclement weather delay:  thunderstorm in the first quarter.  No call for fried duck.

Nothing better than watching the TIDE ROLL over Penn State and then sitting back and watching the Hillbillies get trounced by Oregon! A great Saturday! On this Peter, I'm sure you and I can agree. Wink

Selam

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1303 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »

And Texas, Cal, and TCU all won--the latter two by lopsided scores.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:40:04 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #1304 on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »

Interesting...  Reggie Bush just announced that he is giving back the Heisman Trophy he won in 2005.  (Better that than the Heisman Trust have to take it from him, which is probably what would have ended up happening)

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5572827&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:06:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: sports Red Star Belgrade New Orleans Saints Manchester United New York Baseball Giants Cincinnati Bungles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: