OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:42:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your favorite quotes!  (Read 4945 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »

"That idea has sunk very deep into your unconscious – that you are not deserving, that you are utterly worthless. Naturally, the best way is to get away from yourself. Everybody is doing it in different ways: somebody is running for money, somebody is running for power, somebody is running for respectability, somebody is running for virtue, saintliness." - Osho

Don't forget the sex!

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »

"That idea has sunk very deep into your unconscious – that you are not deserving, that you are utterly worthless. Naturally, the best way is to get away from yourself. Everybody is doing it in different ways: somebody is running for money, somebody is running for power, somebody is running for respectability, somebody is running for virtue, saintliness." - Osho

Don't forget the sex!

How could one forget THAT?!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:04:41 AM by IoanC » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »

"It's good to be me." -- Austin Powers

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »

"You're a goody little two-shoes! Goody little two-shoes! Goody little two-shoes! Goody little two-shoes!"

*BOOM*

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:18:30 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »

"Let it control you hold you mold you
Not the old, the new, touch it, taste it
Free your soul let it invade you
Gotto to be what you wanna
If the groove don't get you the rhyme flow's gonna
I'm serious as cancer when I say
"Rhythm is a dancer"

Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

'His wife was so jealous of his devotion to Chrysostom that she threatened to burn his manuscripts.'

-- Said of Henry Savile, Englishman, knight, mathematician, Greek scholar, and KJV translator

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »

"Life can only be lived dangerously – there is no other way to live it. It is only through danger that life attains to maturity,growth.
One needs to be an adventurer,always ready to risk the known for the unknown. And once one has tasted the joys of freedom and fearlessness one never repents (!!!) because then one knows what it means to live at the optimum.
Then one knows to burn your life’s torch from both ends together.
And even a single moment of that intensity is more gratifying than the whole eternity of mediocre living" (Osho)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »

The Little Boy and the Old Man, by Shel Silverstein

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »

"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

Where is he?  I want to hug him. 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »

“Your worship has apparently attended the schools; what sciences have you studied?”
“That of knight-errantry,” said Don Quixote, “which is as good as that of poetry, and even a finger or two above it.”
 “I do not know what science that is,” said Don Lorenzo, “and until now I have never heard of it.”
“It is a science,” said Don Quixote, “that comprehends in itself all or most of the sciences in the world, for he who professes it must be a jurist, and must know the rules of justice, distributive and equitable, so as to give to each one what belongs to him and is due to him. He must be a theologian, so as to be able to give a clear and distinctive reason for the Christian faith he professes, wherever it may be asked of him. He must be a physician, and above all a herbalist, so as in wastes and solitudes to know the herbs that have the property of healing wounds, for a knight-errant must not go looking for some one to cure him at every step. He must be an astronomer, so as to know by the stars how many hours of the night have passed, and what clime and quarter of the world he is in. He must know mathematics, for at every turn some occasion for them will present itself to him; and, putting it aside that he must be adorned with all the virtues, cardinal and theological, to come down to minor particulars, he must, I say, be able to swim as well as Nicholas or Nicolao the Fish could, as the story goes; he must know how to shoe a horse, and repair his saddle and bridle; and, to return to higher matters, he must be faithful to God and to his lady; he must be pure in thought, decorous in words, generous in works, valiant in deeds, patient in suffering, compassionate towards the needy, and, lastly, an upholder of the truth though its defence should cost him his life. Of all these qualities, great and small, is a true knight-errant made up; judge then, Senor Don Lorenzo, whether it be a contemptible science which the knight who studies and professes it has to learn, and whether it may not compare with the very loftiest that are taught in the schools.”
"If that be so," replied Don Lorenzo, "this science, I protest, surpasses all." 
"How, if that be so?" said Don Quixote. 
"What I mean to say," said Don Lorenzo, "is, that I doubt whether there are now, or ever were, any knights-errant, and adorned with such virtues." 
"Many a time," replied Don Quixote, "have I said what I now say once more, that the majority of the world are of opinion that there never were any knights-errant in it; and as it is my opinion that, unless heaven by some miracle brings home to them the truth that there were and are, all the pains one takes will be in vain (as experience has often proved to me), I will not now stop to disabuse you of the error you share with the multitude. All I shall do is to pray to heaven to deliver you from it, and show you how beneficial and necessary knights-errant were in days of yore, and how useful they would be in these days were they but in vogue; but now, for the sins of the people, sloth and indolence, gluttony and luxury are triumphant."

From Don Quichot, vol II, chapter XVIII
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:41:41 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »

"Remember that God, during your prayers, is watching for your affirmative answer to the question which He is inwardly asking you: 'Do you believe I am able to do this?' To which question you must from the depth of your heart reply, 'Yes, Lord' (Mt. 9:28)." -St. John of Kronstadt

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »

Marie came that evening and asked me if I'd marry her. I said I didn't mind; if she was keen on it, we'd get married.

Then she asked me again if I loved her. I replied, much as before, that her question meant nothing or next to nothing — but I supposed I didn't.

"If that's how you feel," she said, "why marry me?"

I explained that it had no importance really, but, if it would give her pleasure, we could get married right away. I pointed out that, anyhow, the suggestion came from her; as for me, I'd merely said, "Yes."

Then she remarked that marriage was a serious matter.

To which I answered: "No."

She kept silent after that, staring at me in a curious way. Then she asked:

"Suppose another girl had asked you to marry her — I mean, a girl you liked in the same way as you like me — would you have said 'Yes' to her, too?"

"Naturally."

-- Albert Camus, The Stranger

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »

"I am as broken and ashamed as a bride who is not a virgin on her wedding night." - Lt. Colonel of the Iraqi Army.

http://news.yahoo.com/humiliation-rout-hits-iraqi-military-hard-201712326.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:56:02 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

She considereth a field, and buyeth it.

« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »

"I am as broken and ashamed as a bride who is not a virgin on her wedding night." - Lt. Colonel of the Iraqi Army.

The perfect quote for this forum!

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »

Who knew the Iraqi Military posted here?

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:50 PM »

Who knew the Iraqi Military posted here?

Well, clearly they are not out defending their country, so they might as well post on oc.net.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:53 AM »

"Thus, with regret our whole Church has had to endure powerful disturbances hitherto unseen. As if from deep within the bosom of the body of the Church cracks began to appear, though they have not yet developed into deep fissures. We look on with fear as in places they are trying to transform these chinks into rifts which split apart not only the flock, but even the clergy." - Address of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia to Its Flock (2001)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »

"Many of us no longer lack food, water, clothing, or shelter; nor do we regularly face life-threatening physical danger. As a result, the protective energies have adapted toward defending the individual psychologically, rather than physiologically. We now experience the daily need to defend our self-concepts rather than our bodies. Our major struggles end up being with our own inner fears, insecurities, and destructive behavior patterns, and not with outside forces." - Michael A. Singer

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

I like that observation, although I'm not clear how ideological wars like the current war in Iraq where it is essentially a war of self-concepts as opposed to a war of resources factor into his assessment.  Certainly the people of that country have been lacking in sufficient basic resources to warrant a war over that as opposed to a war to establish a Caliphate.  Of course, perhaps the reason they are advocating Caliphate is because they see it is a way out of their current physical deficiencies.  And now, I think I'm just talking to myself.  Good bye!

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »

"My thoughts turn to something I read once, something the Zen Buddhists believe. They say that an oak tree is brought into creation by two forces at the same time. Obviously, there is the acorn from which it all begins, the seed which holds all the promise and potential, which grows into the tree. Everybody can see that. But only a few can recognize that there is another force operating here as well – the future tree itself, which wants so badly to exist that it pulls the acorn into being, drawing the seedling forth with longing out of the void, guiding the evolution from nothingness to maturity. In this respect, say the Zens, it is the oak tree that creates the very acorn from which it was born." Elizabeth Gilbert

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »

"Let fury have the hour, anger can be power. Do you know that you can use it?" The Clash

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

"To be thus constantly coming to be is infinitude's deceptiveness in existence. It is enough to bring a sensate person to despair, for one feels a constant urge to have something finished, but this urge is of evil and must be renounced. The continual becoming is the uncertainty of earthly life, in which everything is uncertain." - Soren Kierkegaard

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »

"I do not speak about Christ unless others want to, unless they ask. I pray for those people, I will even work miracles for them, but I do not speak to them." - Elder Porphyrios Bairaktaris

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »

"I do not speak about Christ unless others want to, unless they ask. I pray for those people, I will even work miracles for them, but I do not speak to them." - Elder Porphyrios Bairaktaris

What's the context? I like that but it does seem to be in stark contrast with various historical precedents. Both biblical and hagiographical.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »

What's the context? I like that but it does seem to be in stark contrast with various historical precedents. Both biblical and hagiographical.
Oops, I didn't get the whole thing. Here is the full quote.

"I do not speak about Christ unless others want to, unless they ask. I pray for those people, I will even work miracles for them, but I do not speak to them. I want their soul to open up and to ask me. By asking to hear something, a person willingly listens."
- Elder Porphyrios Bairaktaris

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:48 AM »

"I have heard there are demons. Can those be worse than men?" -St. Justin Popovich, "Confessions of a Doe"

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:22:41 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Silly Stars
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #163 on: Today at 04:41:27 AM »

"My favorite parts of the Bible are when Jesus is alone talking to God (himself) and someone who wasn't there is writing about it." -unknown

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: