Author Topic: what is the etiquette when an Orthodox priest visits your house?  (Read 277 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• hai.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox?
I'm having a bbq this week, I invited the parish priest, and he RSVP'd.

It's not a house-blessing, but I don't want to be impolite. You understand. Thank you.

edit: because I may understand house-blessings incorrectly: it's my mother's house, and she isn't (technically) Orthodox. Because there is some ceremony involved in the house-blessing, no?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:22:51 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline Aram

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
Re: what is the etiquette when an Orthodox priest visits your house?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
Greet him as normal at the door (ask his blessing), welcome him into the house, and end of etiquette. He's a normal person being invited to a social gathering. There isn't much more to it than that. Don't psyche yourself out.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:01:35 AM »
Is it possible you are quietly wishing for a house-blessing but unsure how to get it, with your mother not Orthodox and so on, and so that's partly why you've invited your priest to the barbecue?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:02:02 AM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• hai.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »
Is it possible you are quietly wishing for a house-blessing but unsure how to get it, with your mother not Orthodox and so on, and so that's partly why you've invited your priest to the barbecue?

This isn't about me.

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 04:14:55 AM »

This isn't about me.

Am I wrong in thinking that if one wants a house blessing one has to state that fact in advance of a priest's visit so that he can bring the required--what word do I need here??--items? (And perhaps warn non-Orthodox guests that they might get wet.)

Offline brlon

• Faith: None
  • Jurisdiction: None
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:57 AM »
He might expect, and you could/might ask him to bless the food - and if he is obviously a priest (dressed as such) non-orthodox might not find this too surprising.   If you are not technically the host and this is not an event swarming with orthodox then it might be better to keep things low-key.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »

This isn't about me.

Am I wrong in thinking that if one wants a house blessing one has to state that fact in advance of a priest's visit so that he can bring the required--what word do I need here??--items? (And perhaps warn non-Orthodox guests that they might get wet.)

That sounds correct. My question relates to MCarmichael's unspoken desire, if he has one -- which I'd warmly recommend he just discuss frankly with his priest.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »
A priest at my church (now retired) used to say it's important to make the house as clean as you can before the visit. You don't want to be embarrassed.  :D

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »
So you invited a priest for a house-blessing masqueraded as a barbecue, a house-blessing when barbecue is just a bait, a barbecue when a house-blessing is an option or just a general barbecue for your friends and you now have no idea why had you invited there a random priest in the first place and what to do with him now?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:25:55 PM by mike »
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
Children!

Its just a bbq.

The poster is an inquirer....so he has not taken the 'Priests in social situations' course yet...and thus doesn't know -what- to do with a Priest at a normal bbq.
The REST of this nonsense is other people ASSuming he wants other things....

Invite him in. offer him a beverage...and food when the food is ready. 
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
A priest at my church (now retired) used to say it's important to make the house as clean as you can before the visit. You don't want to be embarrassed.  :D

I guess I can forget about ever inviting my priest round then.  ;)

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
Children!

Its just a bbq.

The poster is an inquirer....so he has not taken the 'Priests in social situations' course yet...and thus doesn't know -what- to do with a Priest at a normal bbq.

I'd say I am morce concerned about "inviting people from different social cirles to a party" what is rarely a success.
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
Children!

Its just a bbq.

I'd say I am morce concerned about "inviting people from different social cirles to a party" what is rarely a success.

Possibly true....but I would hardly take advice from people on the internet about that...;P
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »
Children!

Its just a bbq.

I'm perfectly happy to believe you, and actually do more-or-less think you're right. However, I'll just gently point out to folks that the OP contained 3 or 4 times more of the word "house-blessing" than "bbq." So, I just wanted to see our mutual friend blessed in some way, and not refrain from forthrightly discussing anything on his mind with Father.

Offline mcarmichael

• hai.
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 10:04:00 PM »
Children!

Its just a bbq.

If the Lord wills, it will be just me, my mother, and the aformentioned priest.

I considered having a big bbq, but it is only my 2nd attempt at a Santa-Marie-esque style of barbeque, which is a real thing (it's copyrighted.)
I've gone through several iterations in my imagination, finally settled on if it works out this time, maybe I'll make it at the Int'l Food Festival.

=)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:10:26 PM »

I considered having a big bbq, but it is only my 2nd attempt at a Santa-Marie-esque style of barbeque, which is a real thing (it's copyrighted.)
I've gone through several iterations in my imagination, finally settled on if it works out this time, maybe I'll make it at the Int'l Food Festival.

=)

I say, that sounds fantastically delicious, and I think you should at least invite your OC.net friends.

Offline mcarmichael

• hai.
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:58:09 PM »

That's what I'm saying. It's just a barbeque. If I say there are monsters in the basement, he isn't going to insist, I hope.

Offline mcarmichael

• hai.
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:02:02 PM »

=)

I say, that sounds fantastically delicious, and I think you should at least invite your OC.net friends.

Indeed.