Author Topic: And Now This: Quasicrystals With Forbidden Symmetries  (Read 68 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
And Now This: Quasicrystals With Forbidden Symmetries
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »
Second natural quasicrystal found in ancient meteorite

A team from Princeton University and the University of Florence in Italy has discovered a quasicrystal -- so named because of its unorthodox arrangement of atoms -- in a 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite from a remote region of northeastern Russia, bringing to two the number of natural quasicrystals ever discovered. Prior to the team finding the first natural quasicrystal in 2009, researchers thought that the structures were too fragile and energetically unstable to be formed by natural processes.

"The finding of a second naturally occurring quasicrystal confirms that these materials can form in nature and are stable over cosmic time scales," said Paul Steinhardt...

We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: And Now This: Quasicrystals With Forbidden Symmetries
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
The return of the Great Old Ones is at hand!
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
The fine handiwork of the Master Craftsman :)

Er, I mean God, not Azathoth.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: I presently commune at a Coptic parish
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »
The most captivating mental image for me in Lovecraft was where the sailor got trapped crossing what appeared to be an obtuse angled surface that was actually acute, stuck and perhaps crushed to death in this invisible chasm, in the non Euclidean metropolis, or necropolis, of R'lyeh.

However the Starry Wisdom Cult and the Esoteric Order of Dagnon with its unusual clerical vestments were of much interest in the realm of comparative theology.  Although his mentioning of the Yazidis was uninformed and came across as a theological cheap shot, although there is evidence to suggest that in the past some Yazidis were genuinely afraid of Taus Melek, adding credence to the whole Decil Worship thing.

But these crystals aren't quite as non Euclidean as what Lovecraft had in mind I fear.  Although I suspect they would freak him out anyway, poor guy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:34:56 PM by wgw »
I am Oriental Orthodox but love the Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantine liturgy.  I also love the Western liturgy.  I hope for the reconciliation of our churches.

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Online Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
Seems like it is always Russia that gets the interesting meteorites.  I'm jealous. :-X