OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 05:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any small town Orthodox Churches out there?  (Read 1106 times) Average Rating: 0
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »

The way I grew up, we never thought of suburbs as small towns, is all, no matter what their population. A small town is encircled by miles of farmland or woods. There's an entirely different cultural and material situation between suburb and town.

Yes.  A small town or a village or hamlet usually is the major town in its area, not a subset of another.  It is usually defined by its own economy.  I think of small towns as having an industry or two and with far less transience.  Someone lives on a property because it was part if his grandfathers farm that was split off for his parents to make a home.  The people across the valley with the same surname are perhaps descendants of his grandfathers brother.  The institutional memory is such that directions are given by way of landmarks such as turn right where John Parker's barn used to be, and people can tell you the story of what happened at Pioneer Rock in the big train accident even if they're too young to remember.  In short, small towns are self sustaining and have a strong institutional and communal memory which is perpetuated.  They are hard to fit into unless you were born there or connected by marriage to someone who was, or if you're lucky enough to be likable to those already there and build good ties over time.   But if you can become accepted and persist, you will "belong" to them or they to you in a way that is warm and special and is truly a delight.   

And such villages comprised the bulk of churches in the Old World. ... I trust the Church here is not taking American propaganda at face-value and supposing we are an urban nation the old rural backbone of which has been broken and completely discarded.

We have been a mainly urban and industrial church here of necessity.   The Orthodox Church was mostly brought to North Americs to serve clusters of immigrants of (insert nationality here) who themselves were recruited, mostly in the 1880-1920 timeframe, to work the mills and mines, factories and railroads, or who came here to engage in commerce with those who did by running restaurants, bars, boarding houses, etc.  Of course there are well known and important exceptions such as the Russian Church's early work in Alaska.   

Now that those pioneers are gone and their descendants assimilated (again, with prominent exceptions such as the Ukrainian diaspora now in a hearty fourth wave of migration which is felt in some, not all, parishes) services have become English, we are talking about evangelism and jurisdictional unity.  A good thing.  And I think they as we go down that road we certainly see that many small town moral and spiritual values are oftentimes Orthodox Christian values, even if they (and we) don't know that yet.   
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen applicant
Jurisdiction: GOA I hope

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »

Quite right, and I look to the future and the Holy Spirit.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

A threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ec iv.12).

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »

Holy Annunciation OCA in Berwick, PA.

http://oca.org/parishes/oca-ep-berhac

Berwick, PA home of the Berwick Theater

http://theberwicktheater.com/

Antiochian OC N.A.
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »

Check out OCA's Diocese of the South website; there are several small-town parishes.  www.dosoca.org

Right on the website and going through my memories of road-tripping through small towns, there's one in Edenton, NC; North Augusta, SC; Beaufort, SC; Toccoa, GA; Rincon, GA; Helena, GA; Nicholasville, KY.

Good luck!

Nicholasville, KY is small but close to Lexington and Cincinnati, as well as Louisville. You also have two options for Orthodox churches within an easy drive--one in Nicholasville and one in Lexington--Antiochian. There is also about an hour or hour and half a way Cincinnati a Russian Orthodox Church if you have any Russophile tendencies. But that is an hour or more drive, perhaps something to visit on occasion. UK-Chandler Hospital is also a good hospital in Lexington--the university hospital. Healthcare is important, especially when you are old. We also did not opt out of the Affordable Healthcare Act, so depending on your financials, Kentucky is a great option for healthcare. Also it's beautiful and the best state. Nicholasville is right there near all the nice horse farms.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:57:30 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
chrisgeo

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »

My town is roughly 35,000 or so. The entire Roanoke metro area is much larger. OP come to SW Virginia. You will never want to leave.

In Christ,
Andrew
Too Many people. We got about that many here.
chrisgeo

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »

My ideal population would be 8-10K. Any less everyone would either be related and/or know your business.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

My ideal population would be 8-10K. Any less everyone would either be related and/or know your business.

Isn't that how church works anyway? Wink

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »

I think Pella is 10K. Unfortunately not in the South, though.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Berlin, MD has 4,500 people.  There's an OCA church in town and a GOA church in nearby Ocean City, MD (which is a small town with population of 7,100 in the tourist off-season) - although MD may not be far enough south for the OP.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:05:42 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »

Berlin, MD has 4,500 people.  There's an OCA church in town and a GOA church in nearby Ocean City, MD (which is a small town with population of 7,100 in the tourist off-season) - although MD may not be far enough south for the OP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason%E2%80%93Dixon_line Wink
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:31:16 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason%E2%80%93Dixon_line Wink

MD's Eastern Shore has experienced an increase in growth due to retirees fleeing high tax states like NY & NJ - who want to be within a few hours drive of their former residence.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

Is Bowling Green KY too big?   They have a mission:
http://holyapostlesbg.org/

Just checked the population, 60,000. twice as much as where we are now. I need smaller. Thanks.
Does it have to be Eastern Rite? Eustis, FL (pop. 19,129) has a WRO Church, St. Andrew.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

Move to California and you can attend St. Christina of Tyre's in the modest town of Newark/Fremont Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

Move to California and you can attend St. Christina of Tyre's in the modest town of Newark/Fremont Smiley

A population of 220,000 does not make Fremont a small town and CA is not in the south.   Smiley
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »

A population of 220,000 does not make Fremont a small town and CA is not in the south.   Smiley

Poopoo, SoCal is the south. More Mexicans than Texas!

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »

The proposal to divide California into five states sounds like it finally has a real chance. I'm sure one or two of those states will be pretty Southern.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »

Southern (used as an adjective) and the South are not the same thing.

The example town of Fremont is NEITHER in Southern California nor in the South.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:28:15 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2014, 12:22:30 AM »

Given that I live in a metro area with well over 100,000 people and not a single Orthodox parish, I am jealous of all the small towns I am hearing about that have parishes.

OP could move to Alaska. There are a lot of small towns with parishes there.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »

As much as I like PA, it's not the South.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:12 AM »

Praise be to God.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
chrisgeo

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »

Don't let my wife hear that.  Wink She lived in Alaska before it was a state while her dad was in the Air Force and might decide she wants to go back.  laugh
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

Praise be to God.

Amen! Wink

Sam G
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Holy Prophet Samuel, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »

There's a small ROCOR mission parish in St. Francisville Louisiana I know of called St. John the Theologian.

http://saintjohnmission.org/

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

Don't let my wife hear that.  Wink She lived in Alaska before it was a state while her dad was in the Air Force and might decide she wants to go back.  laugh

Hey, Alaska would be nice if you don't remind the remoteness. There's part of me that would love to live in Alaska. Except I am an urbanite or whatever. I like the city. Vancouver would be ideal if I moved up that way. But Anchorage, I don't know. If I am going to move to Alaska, might as well do it right. If I had my private pilot I might consider it.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »

OCA parish in Delta, CO would likely qualify as "small town" - only 8900 as of the 2010 census.  Montrose is 30 miles south and has nearly 20k, while Grand Junction is 40 miles north and has almost 150K.  GJ also has a GOA parish I think.  The Delta parish was started by a somewhat well to do Episcopalian family if I recall correctly.  They basically invested a bunch of money to build (or convert) a church, import a priest, etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:16:55 PM by Elisha » Logged
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »

Why don't you give small town Pennsylvania a try?  You might like it.  There is a lot of natural beauty and charm to PA's small towns and a nice four season climate.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »

OCA parish in Delta, CO would likely qualify as "small town" - only 8900 as of the 2010 census.  Montrose is 30 miles south and has nearly 20k, while Grand Junction is 40 miles north and has almost 150K.  GJ also has a GOA parish I think.  The Delta parish was started by a somewhat well to do Episcopalian family if I recall correctly.  They basically invested a bunch of money to build (or convert) a church, import a priest, etc.

Btw, while cold in the winter, there isn't much precipitation (i.e. not too much snow to deal with).

Climate should be similar to Grand Junction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Junction,_Colorado#Climate
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »

Yeah you can keep ice storms and 100 degree days.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »

Yeah you can keep ice storms and 100 degree days.

Will do.   Wink  OP wants to move to the South and people are offering up Alaska, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.  I guess I should suggest someplace in South America, because it has the word "South" in it at least.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »

Midwest bordering on South. Below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ash Grove, MO. Population 1,477. In the middle of nowhere. Rural.

Unexpected Joy Orthodox Church. OCA Old Calendar. My current parish. Just perfect.
chrisgeo

« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »

Why don't you give small town Pennsylvania a try?  You might like it.  There is a lot of natural beauty and charm to PA's small towns and a nice four season climate.
I kinda want 1 1/2 seasons, warm & warmer. Cheesy
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »

I kinda want 1 1/2 seasons, warm & warmer. Cheesy
lol!  Well, PA is probably not for you then.  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »

Midwest bordering on South. Below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ash Grove, MO. Population 1,477. In the middle of nowhere. Rural.

Unexpected Joy Orthodox Church. OCA Old Calendar. My current parish. Just perfect.

That's the name of the parish? Forgive me but sounds like the name of some Protestant church. "Unexpected Joy Prayer Center"

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »

Under whose patronage is the church?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »

It's named after an icon of the Theotokos.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »

Icon of Unexpected Joy:

From www.oca.org:

The “Unexpected Joy” Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos is painted in this way: in a room is an icon of the Mother of God, and beneath it a youth is kneeling at prayer. The tradition about the healing of some youth from a bodily affliction through this holy icon is recorded in the book of St Demetrius of Rostov, The Fleece of Prayer [See Judges 6: 36-40].

The sinful youth, who was nevertheless devoted to the Theotokos, was praying one day before the icon of the All-Pure Virgin before going out to commit a sin. Suddenly, he saw that wounds appeared on the Lord’s hands, feet, and side, and blood flowed from them. In horror he exclaimed, “O Lady, who has done this?” The Mother of God replied, “You and other sinners, because of your sins, crucify My Son anew.” Only then did he realize how great was the depth of his sinfulness. For a long time he prayed with tears to the All-Pure Mother of God and the Savior for mercy. Finally, he received the unexpected joy of the forgiveness of his sins.

The “Unexpected Joy” icon is also commemorated on January 25 and May 1.
Sam G
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Holy Prophet Samuel, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »

Icon of Unexpected Joy:

From www.oca.org:

The “Unexpected Joy” Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos is painted in this way: in a room is an icon of the Mother of God, and beneath it a youth is kneeling at prayer. The tradition about the healing of some youth from a bodily affliction through this holy icon is recorded in the book of St Demetrius of Rostov, The Fleece of Prayer [See Judges 6: 36-40].

The sinful youth, who was nevertheless devoted to the Theotokos, was praying one day before the icon of the All-Pure Virgin before going out to commit a sin. Suddenly, he saw that wounds appeared on the Lord’s hands, feet, and side, and blood flowed from them. In horror he exclaimed, “O Lady, who has done this?” The Mother of God replied, “You and other sinners, because of your sins, crucify My Son anew.” Only then did he realize how great was the depth of his sinfulness. For a long time he prayed with tears to the All-Pure Mother of God and the Savior for mercy. Finally, he received the unexpected joy of the forgiveness of his sins.

The “Unexpected Joy” icon is also commemorated on January 25 and May 1.

Do you know who painted that particular icon?

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »

That's the name of the parish? Forgive me but sounds like the name of some Protestant church. "Unexpected Joy Prayer Center"

Technically the best way to render these types of names in traditional English would be "Our Lady of Unexpected Joy Orthodox Church".
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »

Hiram, Georgia, is a town of only about 3,000 or so, although it's a part of the 4.5 - 5 million population Atlanta area. It has a rather small church called St. Stephen's Orthodox Church buried in the woods just south of it. It's the nearest church to my house, so I attend it every Sunday. Here's a YouTube video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiohgl8pvJg

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Georgii

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »

The parish of the Moscow Patriarchate in Brookside, Alabama.
At population 1,300 and something Brookside is way smaller than your ideal, but it is fairly near Birmingham, which also has some major health care centers.

http://www.stnicholasbrookside.org/

My family and I visited there one Sunday, and we felt right at home.

We also enjoyed visiting that Greek Orthodox church in Ocean City, MD.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 04:01:12 PM »

All Saints of North America Orthodox Church in DeQueen, Arkansas.

http://allsaintsofamerica.com/

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: