OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 09:04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Living Through 3D Printing  (Read 464 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 28, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »

In this thread we will post about all the great stuff that will be done with 3d printing.

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »

3D-printed skull implanted into woman's head
(Warning: Some of the images of the surgery could be considered disturbing, and you have already clicked the link, haven't you?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »

Made-To-Order Cartilage Could Combat Osteoarthritis

About 27 million people in the United States suffer from osteoarthritis. This can result in pain, swelling, and eventually even loss of motion in the joint. Knees and joints in the hand are particularly affected. In order to combat this degenerative disease, a group of researchers led by Rock Taun of the University of Pittsburgh have developed a way to manufacture replacement cartilage using a 3D printer. He presented his work on Sunday at the Experimental Biology 2014 conference in San Diego...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

3D Printed Cast Speeds Bone Recovery Using Ultrasound

A new prototype brings together 3D printing, room to breathe and ultrasound pulses to create a cast that is not only comfortable and stylish to wear but is expected to speed healing relative to existing options. In a move that is less The Singing Bone or Singing Bones than Singing to the Bones designer Deniz Karasahin has adopted the idea of using Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound, (LIPUS) to speed bone regrowth. Pulses of sound waves too high frequency to hear have been shown to increase the incorporation of calcium ions in cultures of cartilage and bone cells, as well as increasing the expression of genes known to assist in healing...

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »

But can it make a nice hot potato kugle?

Proverbs 22:7
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »

WUSTL students ‘print’ pink prosthetic arm for teen girl

Thirteen-year-old Sydney Kendall had one request for the Washington University in St. Louis students building her a robotic prosthetic arm: Make it pink.

Kendall Gretsch, Henry Lather and Kranti Peddada, seniors studying biomedical engineering in the School of Engineering & Applied Science, accomplished that and more. Using a 3-D printer, they created a robotic prosthetic arm out of bright-pink plastic. Total cost: $200, a fraction of the price of standard prosthetics, which start at $6,000...

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »

Heres one asteriktos will be sure to want.

Print-Your-Own Makeup: 3D Printer Brings New Cosmetics Innovation

https://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/print-your-own-makeup--a-3d-printer-brings-new-cosmetics-innovation-192512109.html

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »

The father of 3D printing says it’s overhyped

...Some writers and people who talk about 3D printing get over-enthused. Most of the stuff they talk about will happen someday—eventually. But there’s the here-and-now and the near-term future, where a lot of that stuff is definitely hype and won’t happen. I’m very steeped into what can happen in the relatively near term. So I just tend not to pay too much attention when the hype gets too obscure.

There are going to be tremendous advances in manufacturing capabilities with 3D printing, but you need to understand that it’s in concert with other advances in automation and computing and so forth. So 3D printing isn’t necessarily the only component. There’s a lot of things in the digital-manufacturing world that are advancing together to really improve local manufacturing. Sometimes 3D printing is used as a substitute word for the whole digital-manufacturing field. And you kind of have to be in the manufacturing realm to understand or appreciate that. It may be OK that 3D printing is used as a shorthand, but it’s only a part of a broader movement...

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

Can I print a motorcycle?  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »

Can I print a motorcycle?  Smiley

Sure, First print a helmet and drivers license.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »

What we really need is not a 3d printer, but a nano-tech printer.

There is a 250,000 dollar prize for the first one offered by Richard Feynmann since the 50s, course the prize was only 1,000 then.

This printer will build up from molecules any thing that exists, and also things that do not exist, and it will happen, maybe within our lifetimes.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »

3D printing of buildings seemed to me like such a good thing... until I learned of what is being used to construct them in China...  Huh Huh Huh

a Chinese firm claims to have gone ahead and printed 10 rudimentary prototype houses in 24 hours... using a 3D printing process developed over 12 years at a cost of 20 million yuan ($3.4 million).

WinSun New Materials' custom-made printers use a mix of cement and industrial waste to render load-bearing structures with minimal environmental impact...

“Industrial waste from demolished buildings is damaging our environment, but with 3D printing, we are able to recycle construction waste and turn it into new building materials," he said.

"This would create a much safer environment for construction workers and greatly reduce construction costs."

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/ten-houses-in-24-hours-from-chinese-companys-3d-printer-20140504-zr4mm.html

Maybe that's not as bad as it sounds... if the "industrial waste" is just material from demolished buildings(?) ...Still, if they want to close sales on those things they might do well to consider the magic of euphemism...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:54:03 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »

Here's another video on the process which I viewed over dinner a while back with a close friend who is a mechanical engineer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnzfGP6sq4

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »

3D Printed Device Detoxifies Blood Like a Liver

Okay, it doesn’t look like a liver, but this new 3D printed device can detoxify the blood like one. While it’s just a proof-of-concept, nanoengineers hope the liver-inspired device can be used like a dialysis one day...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »

A summary or overview article about 3D printing body parts...

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »

A summary or overview article about 3D printing body parts...

I xeroxed my hand once Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:56 PM »

Scientists Use 3D Printing To Produce Blood Vessels

A team of scientists based at Brigham and Women’s hospital has made significant progress towards the manufacture of blood vessels for tissue engineering using 3D bioprinting. The study has been published in Lab on a Chip...

spaceX's fully reusable manned spaceship features 3D printed rocket engine

during a live launch event in california, founder and CEO elon musk unveiled the ‘dragon V2′, spaceX’s first manned commercial spacecraft. unlike the ‘dragon’, which was designed to deliver cargo to-and-from the ISS (internation space station), the latest vessel is capable of carrying up to seven astronauts to orbiting destinations in space. the ‘dragon V2′ has also made a leap in technology, including autonomous docking and landing with an innovating propulsion system. the fully re-usable spacecraft will also feature ‘superdraco’ thrusters, 3D printed titanium engines that produce approximately 32,000 pounds of thrust when paired together...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

3D Printing... IN SPACE!

A 3D printer has passed its final set of NASA checks, clearing the way for the device to launch toward the International Space Station in August...

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »

3D Printing... IN SPACE!

A 3D printer has passed its final set of NASA checks, clearing the way for the device to launch toward the International Space Station in August...

Print me up Scotty!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Martian roads and churches buildings
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:19:01 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »

Introducing Amazon's 3D Printing Store

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »

Declassified: The Government's Secret Plan For a Military Moon Base

More than 50 years ago, before man had ever stepped foot on the moon, the U.S. government hatched a plan whose ambitions were exceeded only by its total unfeasibility: A secret, self-sustaining, Soviet-shaming military moon base.

The delightfully extensive 1960 study, dubbed Project Horizon, was just released earlier this week by The National Security Archive. And while it reads more like an alternative history than actual science at this point, it's still incredible to see just how far our Cold War-induced mania could push us...

[If only they had had 3D printing in the 60s, maybe we could have avoided decades of cold war!  Tongue ]

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: