OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:32:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Window 8  (Read 201 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
High Elder

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Tunc dicit ei Jesus: Vade Satana!

« on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:09 AM »

So got a new computer and it has Windows 8. I had heard from a friend a lot of people do not like it. Same here. I am getting use to it but I hate having not start menu. It's just freaking retarded not to have a desktop. Well there is a desktop but it's not your first screen after logging it. I have to go to my desktop and then I have no start menu. It's retarded. Anyone else agree? I'd call it something more colorful if I have the liberty here. I'll let Francis explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v95hzURkQ

I got a COMPUTER for a reason Microsoft should realize. If I want a tablet I'll buy one. You  get used to it but it's the principle of the thing. I would have gotten an Apple if they were not so much. I was on a budget. Anyone else think Windows 8 is a piece of monkey poop?

"I thought I should be too miserable, unless folded in female arms; and of the medicine of Thy mercy to cure that infirmity I thought not, not having tried it. As for continency..none can be continent unless [God] gives it."  --St. Augustine of Hippo
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:15 AM »

You need to install the Windows 8.1 Update.  I think the start menu is restored and you can continue receiving security updates.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »

So got a new computer and it has Windows 8. I had heard from a friend a lot of people do not like it. Same here. I am getting use to it but I hate having not start menu. It's just freaking retarded not to have a desktop. Well there is a desktop but it's not your first screen after logging it. I have to go to my desktop and then I have no start menu. It's retarded. Anyone else agree? I'd call it something more colorful if I have the liberty here. I'll let Francis explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v95hzURkQ

I got a COMPUTER for a reason Microsoft should realize. If I want a tablet I'll buy one. You  get used to it but it's the principle of the thing. I would have gotten an Apple if they were not so much. I was on a budget. Anyone else think Windows 8 is a piece of monkey poop?
For some reason Chevy Chase has just entered my mind.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »

You need to install the Windows 8.1 Update.  I think the start menu is restored and you can continue receiving security updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-start-menu

There are programs you can buy (for around $5) that give you a start menu again
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:09:50 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:20 AM »

My computer, tablet, and phone all run Windows 8 or 8.1. I like it.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »

It's easy to eliminate the startup tiles (sometimes called the "metro" screen) as the default at start and boot directly to desktop. You can find the simple directions online. You can also eliminate the start password screen if you want. When you do that, it's pretty much like earlier versions, but much faster and with enhanced search and other features. Of course if you have a touch screen, the tiles are useful and easy to add, delete or customize.

You can easily do this for free by simply following the steps when you find them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:19:19 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »

It's easy to eliminate the startup tiles (sometimes called the "metro" screen) as the default at start and boot directly to desktop. You can find the simple directions online. You can also eliminate the start password screen if you want. When you do that, it's pretty much like earlier versions, but much faster and with enhanced search and other features. Of course if you have a touch screen, the tiles are useful and easy to add, delete or customize.

You can easily do this for free by simply following the steps when you find them.
I'll make it even easier for him
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-xp-users-dont-fear-windows-8-anymore/#!D0u4Z

That'll  help all his fears, not to mention tell him how to do the above
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-xp-users-dont-fear-windows-8-anymore/#!D0u4Z

Thanks, I didn't get a chance to look that up!

It is just a simple customization, nothing complex.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »

You need to install the Windows 8.1 Update.  I think the start menu is restored and you can continue receiving security updates.
Yes. The 8.1 update really helped to make things more user friendly on a desktop. I've settled into it quite nicely.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »

I'll make it easier yet, here is the quickest way to cure the ills on Windows 8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

I'll make it easier yet, here is the quickest way to cure the ills on Windows 8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Until 7 hits EOL in about three years.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »

Either Windows 9 will be out and good, or I'll figure out Ubuntu.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »

What bothers me more than 8.1 are unneeded "improvements" to Word, Excell, Publisher etc...and that odious Google+ which made  photo album sharing a pain. It's fine if all use it, but if not....  

Software folks: just because you CAN  do something does not make is needed or a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:21:53 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »

Either Windows 9 will be out and good, or I'll figure out Ubuntu.

I dropped Ubuntu after 10 - Windows 8 is similar to Ubuntu11+ which I hated.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »

The really awful thing in W8 is its bizarre "I know better than you do" behavior where it abruptly changes what your keystrokes do. It drives me crazy to be typing along in Firefox and suddenly getting links opened as new tabs or crazy actions that I'm not even sure what they are. Eventually I'll figure out what I have to do to stop this but it isn't something that anone should be subjected to in the first place.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »

The really awful thing in W8 is its bizarre "I know better than you do" behavior where it abruptly changes what your keystrokes do. It drives me crazy to be typing along in Firefox and suddenly getting links opened as new tabs or crazy actions that I'm not even sure what they are. Eventually I'll figure out what I have to do to stop this but it isn't something that anone should be subjected to in the first place.

The Kindle FireHD keyboard does weird things lime that. It thinks its intuition is smarter than the operator and if you stop too fast and send, well it can get weird.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: