Author Topic: Where to spend Pascha 2018  (Read 148 times)

Offline Matthew79

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Where to spend Pascha 2018
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »
I am planning on taking my next year's work vacation for the entire Holy Week and Pascha weekend, so that I can get the full Pascha experience.
I need some suggestions- If you could spend all of Holy Week and Pascha at ANY parish or monastery of your choice, within the lower 48 United States, which would it be? My only preference is that the services are primarily in English. 

Go!

Offline Anthony1986

• Faith: confused Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Searching
Re: Where to spend Pascha 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I heard Jordanville is a wonderful place. Does monastery in Jordanville have service in English? Or mostly in Church Slavonic???
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:29:10 PM »
I heard Jordanville is a wonderful place. Does monastery in Jordanville have service in English? Or mostly in Church Slavonic???

Just don't stay overnight.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Anthony1986

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »

Why not???
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
I am planning on taking my next year's work vacation for the entire Holy Week and Pascha weekend, so that I can get the full Pascha experience.
I need some suggestions- If you could spend all of Holy Week and Pascha at ANY parish or monastery of your choice, within the lower 48 United States, which would it be? My only preference is that the services are primarily in English. 

Go!

Why not where you normally attend?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »
Saint Tikhon's is all-English. I haven't been to their Holy Week or Pascha services but the ones I've seen are lovely.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »

Why not???

I knew a guy who was drinking with some buddies and starting boasting about how brave he was. Everyone at the table agreed to pay him $50 apiece if he spent a night at Jordanville. He agreed. No one has seen him since.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
I would spend it at my own parish.

The joy of Pascha with the same people that I have labored in the fasts of the year with, and had the small celebrations of the feasts with.......is the best!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline nothing

• Lord, have mercy!
  • Archon
  • Saint John Cassian, pray for us!
  • Faith: Catechumen
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
At my parish. I am too lazy for any kind of travel.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy steadfast love; according to Thy abundant mercy, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin!" - Psalm 51:1-2

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
I'm not from US, but if you want the all cycle of the Holy Week services, choose a monastery (or a decent cathedral; however, they tend to have all/most of the services, but quite abbreviated).

However, personally, I dream to spend Holy Week and Pascha at St. Philip in Souderton; I love their way of chanting, frescoes, and the fact that have Great Thursday Liturgy afternoon - it's truly Vesperal.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
However, personally, I dream to spend Holy Week and Pascha at St. Philip in Souderton

Wow, that's very specific. Saint Philip's is 45 minutes away from me; I've been there once, it was nice, but I didn't realize it was globally renowned.

Offline Anthony1986

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »

Why not???

I knew a guy who was drinking with some buddies and starting boasting about how brave he was. Everyone at the table agreed to pay him $50 apiece if he spent a night at Jordanville. He agreed. No one has seen him since.

:o Really??? What happened in Jordanville???

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »

Why not???

:o Really??? What happened in Jordanville???

I don't know, and I don't plan to find out for any amount of money.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
However, personally, I dream to spend Holy Week and Pascha at St. Philip in Souderton

Wow, that's very specific. Saint Philip's is 45 minutes away from me; I've been there once, it was nice, but I didn't realize it was globally renowned.
Wow, you're a lucky man.
Well, I don't know if it's globally renowned. Maybe that's just me being a freak.

Edit: that's a short video of Paschal celebrations from this year at this parish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtoxyuFHyXY
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:37:26 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »

"Primarily in English" really narrows it down for me: either St Tikhon's Monastery or St Vladimir's Seminary.  I'd recommend the latter because I have always found the services there more audible. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.