Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 100562 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #1485 on: January 03, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
Just finished Final Fantasy XV after getting it the Thursday before Christmas. Quickest I've ever run through one of these games (not talking just the FF series, either, RPGs in general). It's got a few gameplay problems, but overall, very good game.

Where would this rank in the FF series, kind of feel out with this series a while back. No excuse for FFXII!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:20:33 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #1486 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
Just finished Final Fantasy XV after getting it the Thursday before Christmas. Quickest I've ever run through one of these games (not talking just the FF series, either, RPGs in general). It's got a few gameplay problems, but overall, very good game.

Where would this rank in the FF series, kind of feel out with this series a while back. No excuse for FFXII!
FF6. There is nothing greater. In the name of the Sabin, Shadow, and Celes amen.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #1487 on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »

Hrm. Mine might be the wrong opinion to seek then. I really enjoyed FFXII, though I wish the gambit system had been a little better developed.

As a game I'd place it somewhere in the mid-tier (around X or VIII). Story-wise it's pretty good for a FF, though the plot itself isn't one of the best (but are any of the FF plots, really?), the characters are some of the best the series has seen. It doesn't do much character development through exposition and generally eschews those dark shadowy pasts or traumas the series loves, but really makes you feel as if the main characters are some of your best friends you've been hanging out with forever. As far as villains go, well, I can't compare without spoilers, but suffice to say that there is only one other FF villain I really felt needed killin' as much as this one.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Searching for the mystery of faith.
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1488 on: January 06, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »
Pillars of Eternity

Mass Effect

Pokemon Colosseum

Star Wars Battlefront II
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Do not be ashamed to enter again into the Church. Be ashamed when you sin. Do not be ashamed when you repent." (St. John Chrysostom)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #1489 on: January 06, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
Dishonored 2. Incredible game. Take back what's yours!
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #1490 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »

FF6. There is nothing greater. In the name of the Sabin, Shadow, and Celes amen.

PP

FF6 is best of the whole series, ChronoTrigger the best RPG of all time.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Searching for the mystery of faith.
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1491 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »

PP

I have unfortunately never finished ChronoTrigger. And I've not yet played FFVI. It's better than VII and X? I also enjoyed FFI.
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." (St. Manuel II Palaiologos)

"Do not be ashamed to enter again into the Church. Be ashamed when you sin. Do not be ashamed when you repent." (St. John Chrysostom)

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #1492 on: January 07, 2017, 12:21:18 AM »
Eternium: Mage and Minions.

Its an action RPG kinda like Diablo for Android, Windows Desktop and I think ioS.  Really fun but  a bit of a grind fest, and I am leveling up three characters at the same time so its taking me a while to level up.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #1493 on: January 07, 2017, 12:46:38 AM »
Dishonored 2. Incredible game. Take back what's yours!

I'm playing through this right now.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #1494 on: January 07, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »

PP

I have unfortunately never finished ChronoTrigger. And I've not yet played FFVI. It's better than VII and X? I also enjoyed FFI.

Yeah. CT is best played on the DS imo due to the newly added ending. Not necessary tho. Let me also add that you should consider playing Chrono Cross once you beat CT. A lot of people didn't fully understand or like CC b/c they couldn't connect it to CT. The problem I think with most of them was that CC doesn't fully connect to CT until the latter 3rd of the game. Only then do you begin to realize how complex CT and CC were from the very get go in terms of plot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:10:07 AM by Rohzek »
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline Indocern

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #1495 on: January 07, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
I am playing bit Dungeon II and One Way Heroics.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1496 on: January 07, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
Just got Steep. It looks fun.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #1497 on: January 10, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Imbroglio. Excellent tactical roguelike.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles