Author Topic: Lost Languages Discovered at St Catherine's Monastery in Egypt  (Read 187 times)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
Lost Languages Discovered at St Catherine's Monastery in Egypt
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
Lost Languages Discovered in One of the World’s Oldest Continuously Run Libraries

The centuries-old texts were erased, and then written over, by monks at Saint Catherine’s Monastery in Egypt

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/long-lost-languages-found-manuscripts-egyptian-monastery-180964698/?no-ist

Saint Catherine’s Monastery, a sacred Christian site nestled in the shadow of Mount Sinai, is home to one of the world’s oldest continuously used libraries. Thousands of manuscripts and books are kept there—some of which contain hidden treasures.

Now, as Jeff Farrell reports for the Independent, a team of researchers is using new technology to uncover texts that were erased and written over by the monks who lived and worked at the monastery. Many of these original texts were written in languages well known to researchers—Latin, Greek, Arabic—but others were inscribed in long-lost languages that are rarely seen in the historical record.

and

that the discovery of Caucasian Albanian writings at Saint Catherine’s library has helped scholars increase their knowledge of the language’s vocabulary, giving them words for things like “net” and “fish.”

Other hidden texts were written in a defunct dialect known as Christian Palestinian Aramaic, a mix of Syriac and Greek, which was discontinued in the 13th century only to be rediscovered by scholars in the 18th century.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:57:35 PM by vorgos »
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Lost Languages Discovered at St Catherine's Monastery in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »
Caucasian Albanian still lives on as Udi, the language of an OO minority in the Caucasus. About Christian Palestinian Aramaic as a specially Greek-influenced dialect I had never heard, interesting.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:38:58 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:26:41 AM »
If the researchers discover Klingon, I will eat my hat. :P

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:58:53 AM »
If the researchers discover Klingon, I will eat my hat. :P
Where do you think Klingon was invented?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »
Caucasian Albanian still lives on as Udi, the language of an OO minority in the Caucasus. About Christian Palestinian Aramaic as a specially Greek-influenced dialect I had never heard, interesting.

Christian Palestinian Aramaic uses the Greek versions of proper names like 'Jesus' and 'John' rather than the Aramaic versions and has a lot of loan words and some other influences from Greek on its syntax, partially because its written use was almost entirely for translations. If you know Syriac, trying to read it is a strange experience because the alphabet is a bit more different than it looks at first glance and the basic vocabulary and grammar is much more like what you find in the Palestinian Talmud.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:36 AM »
For an overview of Christian Palestinian Aramaic for those familiar with other Semitic languages: https://www.academia.edu/8295351/Christian_Palestinian_Aramaic

If you want to look at some texts in the language, see here: http://dlib.nyu.edu/ancientworld/series/corpus-of-christian-palestinian-aramaic/?page=1

For the website of the Sinai palimpsest project, which says it will make all its results available to the public, see here:
http://sinaipalimpsests.org/about-project

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »
Where do you think Klingon was invented?
Qo'noS?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:45:49 AM by Luke »