OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:37:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paralysed man walks again after cell transplant  (Read 86 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: Yesterday at 11:13:55 PM »

A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.

Darek Fidyka, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a knife attack in 2010, can now walk using a frame.

The treatment, a world first, was carried out by surgeons in Poland in collaboration with scientists in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:47:49 PM »

A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.

Darek Fidyka, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a knife attack in 2010, can now walk using a frame.

The treatment, a world first, was carried out by surgeons in Poland in collaboration with scientists in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory forever!

No more need to use the stem cells from unborn babies.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:17:47 AM »

That is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in medical science, and with an unconventional microsurgical technique that deserves a Nobel. Who knew you can use the nerves that transmit smell for spinal reconstruction
« Last Edit: Today at 12:19:00 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Minnesotan
Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:05:42 AM »

That is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in medical science, and with an unconventional microsurgical technique that deserves a Nobel. Who knew you can use the nerves that transmit smell for spinal reconstruction

Yes indeed! I had always thought that when paralysis was first cured, it would be with bionics (I. e., using electrodes and wires to reconnect the severed nerves). Guess I was wrong.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:58:44 AM »

They have tried this with stem cells for years - but it never fully worked.  Using the nasal cells is just pure genius!  And very very exciting.  I'm wondering if this is the same group that started with the stem cell research - I don't remember what group that was or where it was.

Maria - this wasn't done in the U.S. so they might not have had to deal with the ban the US has on stem cell research - but there are other places you can get stem cells other than from an aborted baby.  Stem cells can be harvested from an umbilical cord at the birth of a very live well developed baby.  I don't know how many countries utilize the cord blood, though.  

Here in the U.S. scientist have to use cloned copies of a very small number of stem cells if they want to do any work with them.  The clones end up with errors in the DNA and are not a reliable source.  I don't like the thought of using stem cells with any source as stem cells can go awry in any number of ways.  There are a number of ethical issues over and above the source of harvest.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:59:11 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags: Polish 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: