Author Topic: 6 Reasons the Dark Ages Weren't So Dark  (Read 138 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
6 Reasons the Dark Ages Weren't So Dark
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
The Italian scholar Petrarch coined the phrase “Dark Ages” in the 1330s to describe what he saw as a decline in the quality of Latin literature from the time of the ancient Greeks and Romans. Later, the term expanded to refer more generally to the supposed lack of cultural advancement in Europe from the fall of the Roman Empire to the dawn of the Renaissance, a period officially known as the Early Middle Ages (500-1000 A.D.). But historians—especially in later years—question the fairness of this characterization, and consider “Dark Ages” to be a derogatory term. In fact, life in the Early Middle Ages was not actually much darker or more barbaric compared to other eras, and the period saw its own share of political, social, cultural, economic and religious change.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-reasons-the-dark-ages-werent-so-dark
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: 6 Reasons the Dark Ages Weren't So Dark
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:12 PM »
I am curious if there was a change in life expectancy between the Roman Empire and the Early Dark Ages? :-\  Besides that, I am tempted to pull out my copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and watch it this weekend? :)

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
I was taught (somewhere) that the term, "Dark Ages", referred to the lack of extant writings from the period, thus the inability to see as much into that period compared with others, and not a judgement of quality or morality, etc.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
I looked around at Google a little and it appears that the life expectancy in the "Dark Ages" was a little higher than then in the Roman Empire.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
Diane Moczar says the Dark Ages got a bad reputation in the eyes of later-era historians because they tended to be Protestant, while much of the West was Roman Catholic.