Author Topic: A thread for ignorant Europeans  (Read 7093 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
Re: A thread for ignorant Europeans
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
Can't you send your children to a public school outside of the district you live in?

Yes, but it takes dealing with bureaucracy and there is no guarantee you will be granted your wish. 
At times children have purposefully been sent to schools outside their district to further the aim of desegregation, particularly in the South.
This required police officers to accompany the children since some white people became violent about black children attending white schools.

How 1960's you are! Still have the lava lamp, beads and black light posters too?
If anything, now the cops go to many city schools due to shootings, teacher muggings, or to calibrate the metal detectors students walk through.

LOL, let's also forget how wonderful Bostonians handled it in the mid- to late-1970s.

Yes, I love my flag too, just not rammed into that guy's gut.
I suppose the North did triumph, eh?
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
They can vote the way you want but still practice nepotism or help themselves to public money.

True. But weed, adultery or any other usual moralistic outrage in the media is not an indication of that. I could vote for someone who has smoked a joint but I wouldn't vote for an oligarch.

There's obviously a difference between smoking weed and stealing €40.000 from a fund for the homeless, or being friends and dining with notoriously corrupt businessmen and politians.

Yeah, well, you may be right. It takes a Real Man to eat with tax collectors and those that deal in silver for profit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:59:34 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
Can't you send your children to a public school outside of the district you live in?

Yes, but it takes dealing with bureaucracy and there is no guarantee you will be granted your wish. 
At times children have purposefully been sent to schools outside their district to further the aim of desegregation, particularly in the South.
This required police officers to accompany the children since some white people became violent about black children attending white schools.

How 1960's you are! Still have the lava lamp, beads and black light posters too?
If anything, now the cops go to many city schools due to shootings, teacher muggings, or to calibrate the metal detectors students walk through.

LOL, let's also forget how wonderful Bostonians handled it in the mid- to late-1970s.

Yes, I love my flag too, just not rammed into that guy's gut.
I suppose the North did triumph, eh?

Equal prejudice for all.  Amen.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »
Ouch.

I fear too that we don't evolve, outside of Christ.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Why do you guys still cling to your variant of the imperial system when the metric system is easier to use?

Because it isn't, for several reasons, the most salient of which is that we all know the Imperial system and it's hard to learn a new one.

This is like saying "Why do you guys still cling to the English language when Spanish is so much easier?"

While it's true that Spanish is probably an easier language to learn, objectively speaking, if you start with zero prior knowledge, most Americans already do speak English and don't speak Spanish, so it would not be "easier" for all of us to learn Spanish than to continue speaking English.

1) you can learn metric in an hour

That depends what you mean by "learn." I highly doubt you can internalize the metric system to the degree most of us have done with Imperial in an hour. Well, maybe you can. I doubt I can. I know beyond doubt that most Americans could not.

2) if you are doing calculations involving measurements then metric is easier to use even if you don't 'know it'

True -- but most people don't have to do complex calculations involving measurements on a regular basis. It's far more common for them to need to eyeball things and get them in the ballpark, and/or have an intuitive idea of the meaning of the measurements -- and for most Americans that's far easier in the Imperial system.

3) refusing to force kids to grow up using metric just because we adults are intellectually lazy doesn't seem like a good idea

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I was asked why we do as we do and I answered.

However, since you raise the point, see my argument about adopting Spanish. Also, Imperial units are part of our patrimony.

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Completely subjective. I disagree. Apparently whoever is in charge of American measurements does too.

5) scientists, medicals, etc. already us metric, with glee

And they are welcome to it. It makes sense for them. For Joe the Plumber not so much.

I despise metric baking. 1 cup is much easier than 250ml and 1/2 is easier than 125ml

Same with tea/table spoons

weight metric though? I do prefer grammes to lb/oz though with a scale it's easy to flip

F Gives you precision, and for weather wise I don't like the idea of negative degrees at all. SO my personal preference if we would switch would be to K, but that'll never(and shouldn't) happen

distance: take it or leave it I can do either

My height i do know and I'm okay with in either system

Weight though, saying I'm 107kg makes me feel a lot better than 230some haha

Also, i prefer using fractions and things such as 12 in=ft and 3ft=1yard than forcing decimilization

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:04 PM »
Why do you guys still cling to your variant of the imperial system when the metric system is easier to use?

Because it isn't, for several reasons, the most salient of which is that we all know the Imperial system and it's hard to learn a new one.

This is like saying "Why do you guys still cling to the English language when Spanish is so much easier?"

While it's true that Spanish is probably an easier language to learn, objectively speaking, if you start with zero prior knowledge, most Americans already do speak English and don't speak Spanish, so it would not be "easier" for all of us to learn Spanish than to continue speaking English.

2) if you are doing calculations involving measurements then metric is easier to use even if you don't 'know it'

3) refusing to force kids to grow up using metric just because we adults are intellectually lazy doesn't seem like a good idea

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Still, there is something to be said for measuring something with your foot and it being a foot long, squishing my thumb down and it being an inch wide or touching something from my fingertip to my chestbone and it being a yard. I can't do that with millimeters or centimeters.  :P
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Still, there is something to be said for measuring something with your foot and it being a foot long, squishing my thumb down and it being an inch wide or touching something from my fingertip to my chestbone and it being a yard. I can't do that with millimeters or centimeters.  :P

That's not what I've heard . . .
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
Well, I can't very well go whipping that out to measure stuff, now can I? That's how people get chucked in jail.  ;)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »
so what about watts, newtons, joules...?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
Imperial makes more sense.  1 BTUH is how much energy it takes to boil one gallon of water at sea level in one hour.  With a simple system like this I know that 30,000 BTUH will heat up a small garage quite nicely, whereas a larger area will need more BTUs.  The metric system is far more convoluted.  For instance, it takes 666 Joules of energy to burn one Christian child in a communist metric death camp in one centihour.  Who would base a system off of that???

Also, how many metric-speaking countries landed people on the Moon?  One famed mathematician told me that USA might as well stand for Unified System of Arithmeticing.  Take out the glorious and great Imperial system and what do you have left?  A bunch of chicken-dance-technofied-listening Eurotrash.  That's what.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
Imperial makes more sense.  1 BTUH is how much energy it takes to boil one gallon of water at sea level in one hour.  With a simple system like this I know that 30,000 BTUH will heat up a small garage quite nicely, whereas a larger area will need more BTUs.  The metric system is far more convoluted.  For instance, it takes 666 Joules of energy to burn one Christian child in a communist metric death camp in one centihour.  Who would base a system off of that???

Also, how many metric-speaking countries landed people on the Moon?  One famed mathematician told me that USA might as well stand for Unified System of Arithmeticing.  Take out the glorious and great Imperial system and what do you have left?  A bunch of chicken-dance-technofied-listening Eurotrash.  That's what.
You have won the internet for today, my friend.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »

You have won the internet for today, my friend.

PP
Wait, I laughed today too! But it's only 5:01 am here so.....

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »

Your BTU definition makes no sense.

I liked the metric speaking joke, but this was in the period of time that liters were used for gas in the US because of the rapid rise in gasoline prices which the existing gas pumps could not handle.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »

Your BTU definition makes no sense.

Makes no sense to me either, but then I blame the ignorant European British for coming up with that.
I do like the notion that one wooden match burned totally will yield 1 BTU.
I also dwell, at times, of one horsepower = one horse pulling 33,000 lbs (another Brit's thingy) one foot in one minute. And that also is equal to 2,545 BTUs.
But then that is me, life in the fast lane.

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »
Do American students wear sport coats/ties to parties? Do they have white tie balls?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:46:48 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »
Do American students wear sport coats/ties to parties? Do they have white tie balls?

Depends on what social class you're talking about.  In my state school, the parties I attended were almost all casual.  At a few of my fraternity events, we did have black tie events, but never a white tie; it would have been very nice.  I'm sure some of the Ivy League or upper crust fraternities have more opportunities for white tie events.

I think, generally, parties are casual.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Avdima

• Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

Its a myth that metric is any easier than US units.

See https://idlogger.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/why-everything-you-know-about-the-metric-system-is-wrong-and-what-it-means-for-identity-systems/

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »

See https://idlogger.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/why-everything-you-know-about-the-metric-system-is-wrong-and-what-it-means-for-identity-systems/

I interpreted the link as an attempt to being humorous. There is no question that metric is easier. The examples are clearly avoided in the essay.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »

I interpreted the link as an attempt to being humorous. There is no question that metric is easier. The examples are clearly avoided in the essay.
Honestly, with baking:

If you are a volumetric cook, cups are so much easier than the metric equivlant

but if you are weightmetric, makes no difference between the two, just depends what units you have your scale on

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Newmartyrs of Internets, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Do people celebrate the May Day in the US? I don't care for the political background as does pretty much nobody else either around here but otherwise its fun.
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
Do people celebrate the May Day in the US? I

People don't do that here either.

In the US May Day is called Boxing Day iirc.
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »

Savages. Who wouldn't like to be roaring drunk drink sparkling wine, wear funny hats and colourful clothes and spend your hopefully sunny day-off on a picnic.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:42:45 PM by Alpo »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »

Boxing day is for those over-polite snow-munchers. 

There is no May Day in the good old US of A unless your ship is sinking.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »

True, as a nation, but while in my San Francisco Catholic School we did the Maypole-Dance-Ribbon thingy, girls with flowered crowns, etc. but dedicated it all to Mary......and I believe other Catholic schools in the city did like and similar in manner.
Ah, the good ol' pagan days.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2015, 09:08:26 PM »

May Day is May 1 and Boxing Day is Dec. 26. We don't really do much for either in the U.S.

Offline Tikhon29605

• High Elder
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
What many Europeans celebrate on May 1st (Labor Day) is celebrated by Americans on the first Monday in September.  Boxing Day is celebrated in Canada, but not in the US.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2015, 10:23:40 PM »

Boxing day is for those over-polite snow-munchers. 

vamrat always has a way with words...  :laugh:

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »
What many Europeans celebrate on May 1st (Labor Day) is celebrated by Americans on the first Monday in September.  Boxing Day is celebrated in Canada, but not in the US.

I think the Europeans call it Labor Day, but it is from a pagan tradition as in The Rite Of Spring.
Kind of a fertility acknowledgment.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
Boxing Day is celebrated in my house, because my beloved Manchester United play.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »

I think the Europeans call it Labor Day, but it is from a pagan tradition as in The Rite Of Spring.
Kind of a fertility acknowledgment.

In Greece it's both a union-won labour holiday and an occasion to 'catch May' (picnics, flower crowns, the whole shebang). Like Clean Monday, but warmer. Tradition wants the flower crowns hung on the front wall of the house, or from a balcony, and burnt in St John's bonfires. :)

Boxing Day, on the other hand, over here is the day after Christmas.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Archon
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
I am surprised that people here don't know why May 1st is Labour Day. "Arise you prisoners" and all that.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
I am surprised that people here don't know why May 1st is Labour Day. "Arise you prisoners" and all that.

It's also my birthday. Hooray!  :laugh:

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2015, 11:38:20 AM »
A thought occurred to me while reading some news about the court decision on same sex marriage. While being aware of various cultural wars I've always sort of thought that the US is based on general ideals of equality, liberty and other ideas that Enlightenment philosophers developed and Protestantism being of secondary importance. Am I mistaken or when did that change?

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:14 AM »
A thought occurred to me while reading some news about the court decision on same sex marriage. While being aware of various cultural wars I've always sort of thought that the US is based on general ideals of equality, liberty and other ideas that Enlightenment philosophers developed and Protestantism being of secondary importance.

There's a difference between the elite and electorate there. There's another national myth besides the one about libery, brought over with the Mayflower, that America is the shining city on the hill.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:40:24 AM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
-T.S. Eliot

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
A thought occurred to me while reading some news about the court decision on same sex marriage. While being aware of various cultural wars I've always sort of thought that the US is based on general ideals of equality, liberty and other ideas that Enlightenment philosophers developed and Protestantism being of secondary importance. Am I mistaken or when did that change?

Liberty, Egality, and Fraternity are the motto of another country, I think.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
A thought occurred to me while reading some news about the court decision on same sex marriage. While being aware of various cultural wars I've always sort of thought that the US is based on general ideals of equality, liberty and other ideas that Enlightenment philosophers developed and Protestantism being of secondary importance.

There's a difference between the elite and electorate there. There's another national myth besides the one about libery, brought over with the Mayflower, that America is the shining city on the hill.

Which one is the more historical one?

You raise an interesting point about the elite and electorate being different. I recall reading thst Deism used to be fashionable amongst the US elite whereas it's hard to believe it landed on to grassroot level.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »

We are the shining city on the hill. The rest of the world wants to be us.  ;)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »

We are the shining city on the hill. The rest of the world wants to be us.  ;)

Lately in seeing the elites, I don't want to be US much anymore.