OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sports and Religion  (Read 2656 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »

I was thinking (a dangerous state for me).....is it really proper to PRAY for a team's success?? Is it okay if you are playing on the team (i.e. weekend warriors) or even if you are just a diehard fan??

Also I know occasionally debates will occur over the presence of religion among athletes...for example the baseball and soccer players that cross themselves etc.

Is there a line to be drawn?? Should there be a patron saint for specific sports??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »

I know when I play a sport and pray before taking the field, it's always for protection for all the athletes from physical harm and for the strength to play the game by the rules and not be tempted to break any of them, even if I could get away with the offense.  Part of that strength is to also accept any rulings by the officials because they are the authority of that time and place.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »

I think (realistically) there are a lot more important things to pray for than winning the super bowl or the Stanley Cup.

However, seeing as my favorite sports team (The Toronto Maple Leafs) have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, maybe divine intervention is in order.  Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »

What the other two guys said.

Plus, it's important to remember to play to the best of your abilities on the field, to try to glorify God in what you do, no matter how  unimportant it may seem in the greater scheme of things.

I don't think it's right to pray for a team's success.  But I think it's fine to pray that the team members play to the best of their abilities, and that their play transcends the here and now to show the glory of God, however dimly it may be reflected, just like in any human endeavour.  I think it's fine to pray that what happens on the field exemplifies the best qualities of sportsmanship.

God does not care about which team wins.  God is with everyone.  Of course, I suppose that just like with anything else, God could use a sports team to impart a message.  Why not?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:53:14 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:35 PM »

However, seeing as my favorite sports team (The Toronto Maple Leafs) have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, maybe divine intervention is in order.  Grin

Cough...cough....must....restrain...urge.....for....sarcastic reply.....MUST fight....good fight....cough

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »

I would think it would only be wise to pray if you've got a good deal of money on the line.  You don't want to go to the well too often.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »

Cough...cough....must....restrain...urge.....for....sarcastic reply.....MUST fight....good fight....cough

How did I know you would see that post.  I swear while I was posting it I was thinking "I hope Bob doesn't see this one". LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »

You can only pray for the Patriots. Otherwise it's heresy!

On Sunday, our priest threw in a "We also pray for the victory of the Patriots in today's game" during the dismissal prayer. Hehe. Guess it didn't work.

Maine is kinda crazy when it comes to the Patriots. Not everyone likes the Red Socks, but if you even DARE go into a bar and root against the Pats you'll leave with a bruise of some kind. Must be the hellish winters that drive us to insanity.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 05:07:16 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »

^Believe it or not (even though I'm a Cowboy fan) I was pulling for the Pats and the Saints this past Sunday.  Take note... if you want to bet on football, find out who I want to win and pick the other team!!!  Not even your priests good prayers could undo my wicked eye! LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 05:30:26 PM »

(even though I'm a Cowboy fan)

I'm sorry to hear about that.  Does your family know?  There are things you can do about this nowadays, you don't just have to suffer alone.  There is a way out.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 05:32:41 PM »

^Another comedian!!! Bad enough I've got Bob killing me about the Leafs... no this! LOL

Actually I'm a Cowboy fan living just outside NYC, amongst the Giants faithful.  Oh, how I loved watching the Gints fall apart this year.

And who do you support dear sir?

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »

Actually I'm a Cowboy fan living just outside NYC, amongst the Giants faithful.  Oh, how I loved watching the Gints fall apart this year.

Well, we've got a stray Giants fan in an office full of Cowboys faithful.  Wanna swap?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »

I'm coming (plus the fishing is better over yonder)! LOL (did I say that right???)  I just created a sports thread in the FFA.  Please have a look.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
AMM
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »

Yes, any day the Midgets lose is a good day.  Don't feel bad though, I know someone else who suffers the same Cowboys "tendencies", and aside from that obvious personality disorder is otherwise able to function normally and is pretty much a nice guy.

And who do you support dear sir?

America's Team (aka the Chiefs).  Although now living in Metro Philly it's hard not to get pulled in to the mass psychosis that surrounds that team throughout the year.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »

How did I know you would see that post.  I swear while I was posting it I was thinking "I hope Bob doesn't see this one". LOL

LOL!   Grin

Tags: sports 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: