Author Topic: House Blessings  (Read 1384 times)

Offline AMM

• Archon
House Blessings
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:33:02 PM »
Do you give your priest anything when he comes to bless your house, and if so, what?

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: House Blessings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
As in money?  I haven't, but I suppose I should.  I went along with Fr on Sunday to bless several houses and one of our long time parishoners handed him a check.

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of a gift.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »
I've heard of people giving hospitality gifts (food, bottles of wine/other drink), and feeding clergy.  I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »
I've heard of people giving hospitality gifts (food, bottles of wine/other drink), and feeding clergy.  I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...

2 out of 3 Eritrean families fed Fr. and I and another (the one that gave the check) gave us dessert and tea.  Difficult to continuously eat.  What is frequently done at my parish is to bless several houses in a row and then have a party at the final house.  It helps consolidate the eating.

Offline choirfiend

• ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
  • High Elder
  • Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
You generally feed him. And yes, its a lot of food. Its nice to not offer alcohol, though, as the russians certainly would be and you dont really want him driving drunk. People might give a donation, as people do for MANY services of the Church, but thats not required at all because its a SERVICE of the Church.
As for personal gifts, no, not normally.
Qui cantat, bis orat

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »
Romanians always offer alcohol (plum brandy) and money.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
Sometimes my parishioners offer me a gift. Sometimes its food, or money, or whatever---one even gave me a bag of chestnuts, which was charming, and my girls played with them until they were roasted for snacks on Saturday!

The greatest gift, though, is when my parishioners invite me to sit and talk with them, and we can discuss things over their kitchen table, free of the hustle and bustle of the coffee hour/community center hubbub. That is more valuable to me than anything else!
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...

That's an interesting name.  ;)

I'm glad this topic came around. We're going to have our house blessed, so now I have some ideas.

A question though, are we currently in a fast? I know my mom would be embarrassed so serve something and learn it was against the rules.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."