OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House Blessings  (Read 1335 times) Average Rating: 0
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: January 23, 2007, 01:33:02 PM »

Do you give your priest anything when he comes to bless your house, and if so, what?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »

As in money?  I haven't, but I suppose I should.  I went along with Fr on Sunday to bless several houses and one of our long time parishoners handed him a check.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of a gift.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »

I've heard of people giving hospitality gifts (food, bottles of wine/other drink), and feeding clergy.  I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »

I've heard of people giving hospitality gifts (food, bottles of wine/other drink), and feeding clergy.  I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...

2 out of 3 Eritrean families fed Fr. and I and another (the one that gave the check) gave us dessert and tea.  Difficult to continuously eat.  What is frequently done at my parish is to bless several houses in a row and then have a party at the final house.  It helps consolidate the eating.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »

You generally feed him. And yes, its a lot of food. Its nice to not offer alcohol, though, as the russians certainly would be and you dont really want him driving drunk. People might give a donation, as people do for MANY services of the Church, but thats not required at all because its a SERVICE of the Church.
As for personal gifts, no, not normally.

Qui cantat, bis orat
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »

Romanians always offer alcohol (plum brandy) and money.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »

Sometimes my parishioners offer me a gift. Sometimes its food, or money, or whatever---one even gave me a bag of chestnuts, which was charming, and my girls played with them until they were roasted for snacks on Saturday!

The greatest gift, though, is when my parishioners invite me to sit and talk with them, and we can discuss things over their kitchen table, free of the hustle and bustle of the coffee hour/community center hubbub. That is more valuable to me than anything else!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »

I know that Fr. Dad has asked that they don't cook for him...

That's an interesting name.  Wink

I'm glad this topic came around. We're going to have our house blessed, so now I have some ideas.

A question though, are we currently in a fast? I know my mom would be embarrassed so serve something and learn it was against the rules.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Tags: house blessing 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: