OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:51:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good orthodox "contemporary" music  (Read 1578 times) Average Rating: 0
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« on: January 23, 2007, 02:38:44 AM »

Looking for good contemporary music by orthodox artists. Smiley

NULL
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:38:32 AM »

Sorry but I'm old fashioned. When we have chants dating back to the Old Kingdom of ancient Egypt, I'm happy with what's gold without anything new that may not be true to The Faith which was once delivered to the saints.
(Of course if it is then let me know as I have nothing against new music as such but rather see no need for it.)

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
EricTheRed
aka Mercurius

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »

I have heard there was once a group but they broke up after one of the members went to Mt. Athos. I do not know the name of the group.

Another broken up group is called Luxery.

http://www.myspace.com/luxury 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »

I don't know if they're recording new albums anymore, but you might check out Eikona, a trio of Greek Orthodox sisters--no, they're not nuns; they're actual flesh-and-blood sisters with husbands and families of their own--who have recorded themselves singing tracks varying from ancient Greek chant to more contemporary sounding songs addressing today's listeners.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »

check out St. Romanos Records (google it for the web site)
There are many Orthodox recording artists there that you can buy their CD's
There are also two samplers of contemporary Othodox music you can buy

You can also tune into the web cast, The Ark (Orthodox Christian radio) although sometimes they play evangelical bands like Jars of Clay; but they also play chant and traditional Orthodox music every other song
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:38:49 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:53:57 AM »

Admittedly, Jars of Clay is about the only band I still listen to from my Protestant days. I especially enjoy Much Afraid. I find many of the songs in this album theologically quite accurate (a rarity among Protestant music)--especially "Overjoyed" and "Tea and Sympathy."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:57 PM »

Admittedly, Jars of Clay is about the only band I still listen to from my Protestant days. I especially enjoy Much Afraid. I find many of the songs in this album theologically quite accurate (a rarity among Protestant music)--especially "Overjoyed" and "Tea and Sympathy."

I always kind of held my nose, so to speak, in terms of the lyrics of most CCM, even when I was a protestant, especially because so much of that music was coming out of charasmatic churches and communities.

One who was not from that background, but rather was from a conservative, reformed presbyterian background, was James Ward. Most of his lyrics were paraphrases of scripture passages. I could still listen to most of his stuff today.

I'm glad to hear about Jars of Clay though. I think they got their start here in Pittsburgh in the mid-90's. But I may be wrong, maybe they just played here alot, because I knew someone who went to see them alot here.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:55:20 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »

^
They're from Illinois, but CCM groups do play a lot wherever people actually come. Audio Adrenaline could sell out the largest theatres in Branson, so they came. Often. Seems I heard their concerts advertised every week when I was in junior high. Too bad they lost Barry Blair. He was actually a rather good guitarist. Probably a good decision for him, though--their music was pretty cheesy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: