OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:49:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: By The Power of Thy Cross...  (Read 2574 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: January 22, 2007, 04:31:05 AM »

Whenever I see a white cross planted on the side of the road where a fatal accident has occurred, I have the habit of crossing myself and offering a prayer for the soul of the victim. Today, I was driving a friend back up the Western side of the mountains (Victoria Pass) which is a steep, zig-zaging piece of highway. I have driven up this way numerous times, and I know there is a white cross on the cliff side as you come up, in fact I saw it this morning as I drove down the mountain. Suddenly, I noticed that it was on the other side of the road, leaning on it's side on a rock. We pulled over, so we could at least stand the cross upright. My friend asked me where it should be, and I pointed to the other side of the road to the spot. At that moment, a truck which had lost control came tearing down the mountain around a bend on the wrong side of the road! then suddenly swerved and went up a saftey ramp on the on the cliff side, and came to a stop. My friend and I crossed the highway to check on the driver who was in his 20's and quite shaken. I tried to reassure him that he did everything right, and thank God he knew about the saftey ramp. He replied that he was from Sydney and had never come down Victoria Pass before, and only saw the saftey ramp because he saw me point at it! We told him the real reason I was pointing, and he told us that he too was Orthodox (Antiochian) and his name was George (as is my friend's, so we were three Orthodox Georges!) We all realised that we had been saved from tragedy by the Power of the Cross and our Heavenly Patron! We planted the cross back in it's original position and sang the Troparion of the Cross and Kontakion of St. George in Greek and Arabic. And then George the truck driver noticed a little brass plate that had fallen on to the ground from the Cross...The plate said that the Cross had been planted in memory of yet another George!
Glory to God!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:46:17 AM »

May the Lord be praised and have mercy on us all!

As the liberator of the captives and defender of the poor,
Physician of the feeble and combatant of Kings,
Champion and Great Martyr George
Intercede with Christ our God to save our souls.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:06:16 AM »

Glory to God indeed!

I can't think of a better way to start my day, than to learn of an event such as this!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »

Me too Father Chris

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »

Glory be to God in all His mercy!!

juliana
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »

What an amazing story.  Thanks for telling us about this, Ozgeorge.  Glory to God!

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 02:11:09 AM »

Whenever I see a white cross planted on the side of the road where a fatal accident has occurred, I have the habit of crossing myself and offering a prayer for the soul of the victim. Today, I was driving a friend back up the Western side of the mountains (Victoria Pass) which is a steep, zig-zaging piece of highway. I have driven up this way numerous times, and I know there is a white cross on the cliff side as you come up, in fact I saw it this morning as I drove down the mountain. Suddenly, I noticed that it was on the other side of the road, leaning on it's side on a rock. We pulled over, so we could at least stand the cross upright. My friend asked me where it should be, and I pointed to the other side of the road to the spot. At that moment, a truck which had lost control came tearing down the mountain around a bend on the wrong side of the road! then suddenly swerved and went up a saftey ramp on the on the cliff side, and came to a stop. My friend and I crossed the highway to check on the driver who was in his 20's and quite shaken. I tried to reassure him that he did everything right, and thank God he knew about the saftey ramp. He replied that he was from Sydney and had never come down Victoria Pass before, and only saw the saftey ramp because he saw me point at it! We told him the real reason I was pointing, and he told us that he too was Orthodox (Antiochian) and his name was George (as is my friend's, so we were three Orthodox Georges!) We all realised that we had been saved from tragedy by the Power of the Cross and our Heavenly Patron! We planted the cross back in it's original position and sang the Troparion of the Cross and Kontakion of St. George in Greek and Arabic. And then George the truck driver noticed a little brass plate that had fallen on to the ground from the Cross...The plate said that the Cross had been planted in memory of yet another George!
Glory to God!

Glory to God! Thanks for sharing, George.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:58:50 PM »

George,

This story is so beautiful :'(. Thank you for sharing it.
sunny

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »

Dear Brother George,
What an amazing and miraculous story. Thank you for sharing it and glory to God for His guidance and protection, the Saints who intercede on our behalf, and our blessed guardian angels!
Sunny Smiley

NULL
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »

Today I took my Prosforo to the monastery with my dytich with the names I wanted the Heiromonk to pray for. Under the list of the names of the Departed, I included the name "George" for the one who was killed at Victoria Pass. I did something naughty in that I didn't first ask if the celebrant would commemorate the non-Orthodox in the Liturgy, but I've never been questioned before, and I justified it in my own mind by telling myself that I had no way of knowing that he wasn't Orthodox. I thought I'd get away with it. But I think the Holy Spirit told on me! After the Liturgy, at Trapeza, the celebrant came up to me with a smile and said: "I know better than to ask whether all the names on your dyptich today were Orthodox Christians." I blushed with shame and guilt and cast my eyes down, mostly because I had shown disrespect to the monk by not first asking whether it was OK to do so. But like a good physician of the soul, he quickly added: "I commemorated them all. May God give them rest, and grant you many years to have them commemorated."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:59:11 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:19:18 PM »

Glory to God! OzGeorge, thank you very much for sharing these amazing stories. Much appreciated.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »

After Church today, being the Sunday of the Veneration of the Cross, I took some flowers to lay them at the Cross on Victoria Pass, and was surprised to find some fresh flowers already there when I arrived. A phone call confirmed that my friend from Wentworth Falls who was with me in the car rode his bicycle 35km (22 miles) up the mountains from home to lay flowers at the Cross then 22 miles back home from where I picked him up at at 6:30 am to take him to Church. And he's 56 years old!!!

jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »

Wow!!  I am truly impressed with you both for remembering the other George and for your dedication to bring fresh flowers to his cross.  But your 56 yr. old friend is to be commended for his athletic ability to boot!   God bless you George(s)

Juliana Smiley
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 11:13:54 PM »

This all is so amazing, OzGeorge!
Tags: saints Patron Saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: