OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zeus makes a comeback  (Read 3164 times) Average Rating: 0
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« on: January 22, 2007, 01:14:15 AM »

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- A clutch of modern pagans honored Zeus at a 1,800-year-old temple in the heart of Athens on Sunday -- the first known ceremony of its kind held there since the ancient Greek religion was outlawed by the Roman Empire in the fourth century.

Watched by curious onlookers, some 20 worshippers gathered next to the ruins of the temple for a celebration organized by Ellinais, a year-old Athens-based group that is campaigning to revive old religious practices from the era when Greece was a fount of education and philosophy.

The group ignored a ban by the Culture Ministry, which declared the site off limits to any kind of organized activity to protect the monument.

But participants did not try to enter the temple itself, which is closed to everyone, and no officials sought to stop the ceremony.

Dressed in ancient costumes, worshippers standing near the temple's imposing Corinthian columns recited hymns calling on the Olympian Zeus, "King of the gods and the mover of things," to bring peace to the world.

"Our message is world peace and an ecological way of life in which everyone has the right to education," said Kostas Stathopoulos, one of three "high priests" overseeing the event, which celebrated the nuptials of Zeus and Hera, the goddess of love and marriage.

To the Greeks, ecological awareness was fundamental, Stathopoulos said after a priestess, with arms raised to the sky, called on Zeus "to bring rain to the planet."

A herald holding a metal staff topped with two snake heads proclaimed the beginning of the ceremony before priests in blue and red robes released two white doves as symbols of peace. A priest poured libations of wine and incense burned on a tiny copper tripod while a choir of men and women chanted hymns.

"Our hymns stress the brotherhood of man and do not single out nations," said priest Giorgos Alexelis.

More than a mere re-creation
For the organizers, who follow a calendar marking time from the first Olympiad in 776 B.C., the ceremony was far more than a simple re-creation.

"We are Greeks and we demand from the government the right to use our temples," said high priestess Doreta Peppa.

Ellinais was founded last year and has 34 official members, mainly academics, lawyers and other professionals. It won a court battle for state recognition of the ancient Greek religion and is demanding the government register its offices as a place of worship, a move that could allow the group to perform weddings and other rites.

Christianity rose to prominence in Greece in the fourth century after Roman Emperor Constantine's conversion. Emperor Theodosius wiped out the last vestige of the Olympian gods when he abolished the Olympic Games in A.D. 394.

Several isolated pockets of pagan worship lingered as late as the ninth century.

"The Christians shut down our schools and destroyed our temples," said Yiannis Panagidis, a 36-year-old accountant at the ceremony.

Most Greeks are baptized Orthodox Christians, and the church rejects ancient religious practices as pagan. Church officials have refused to attend flame ceremony re-enactments at Olympia before the Olympic Games because Apollo, the ancient god of light, is invoked.

Unlike the monotheistic religions of Christianity, Judaism and Islam, the old religion lacked written ethical guidelines, but its gods were said to strike down mortals who displayed excessive pride or "hubris" -- a recurring theme in the tragedies of Euripides and other ancient writers.

"We do not believe in dogmas and decrees, as the other religions do. We believe in freedom of thought," Stathopoulos said.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/01/21/ancient.gods.ap/index.html 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:23:22 AM by SmoT » Logged

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:29 AM »

"We are Greeks and we demand from the government the right to use our temples," said high priestess Doreta Peppa.

Perfectly valid point.

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:35 AM »

"We do not believe in dogmas and decrees, as the other religions do. We believe in freedom of thought," Stathopoulos said. 

I swear I've seen this just this week elsewhere on the site.... Used by one of the members here Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:05:35 AM »

"Our hymns stress the brotherhood of man and do not single out nations," said priest Giorgos Alexelis.

What kinds of Greeks are these people? Don't they know that Greece is the coolest, bestest, greatest nation on earth, the very reason that civilization even exists? Grin

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »

I swear I've seen this just this week elsewhere on the site.... Used by one of the members here Wink

Hmmmm....I wonder who?? Oh wait, never mind.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

An interview with Rebecca Buchanan, a Hellenic religion reconstructionist on the "Highway to Hel" blog:

Do you maintain a devotional practice to any particular God or Goddess? (I know I nearly always ask this in every interview, but it's where my personal interest lies.)

I'm particularly devoted to Hermes, which is interesting, since He was not high on my list as a child—I was raised Catholic. That meant the (male) God was around all the time. Goddesses were unusual, interesting. I guess I had to grow away from the Church to really start to see and appreciate the (male) Gods of Hellenismos. I have a tattoo in His honor. Aside from Him, my practice is oriented mostly toward nature and artistic Divinities. So, I honor Artemis, Gaia, Helios, Selene, Eos, Apollo, The Muses, and The Kharites. And Hekate, of course.

The Kharites?

The Kharites, or The Three Graces, look after the "social graces." That is, They are concerned with beauty, art, dance, play, etiquette, fine conversation, fine food, and fine company. They both help to bring beauty into the world and help us to appreciate it. It's too bad They are so often overlooked in modern Hellenismos.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

Lol at when they said "our temples".

It's fascinating they claim it's their temples. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »

Thinks she needs to read City of God by St Augustine.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »

Thinks she needs to read City of God by St Augustine.

Oh, Snap! Augustine!

I'm going to need this.
Conservative Rebel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »

Just another sign of the times. People turn their backs on Jesus Christ who was crucified for their sake and start worshipping pagan idols. There are neo-pagan cults all over the post-Christian world. I wouldn't be surprised if in some near future some people would demand restoration of Aztec and Maya pyramids in Mexico and resume human sacrifices and ritual cannibalism.

The time of Anti-Christ seems to approach very fast.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »

Nothing like breathing life back into a dead god, and getting to decide everything about the way the god is. Sounds like mirror-making to me. "Oh, I look so lovely today! Wait, I mean Zeus looks so lovely today!" *blushes*
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »

The dogs have gone back to their vomit.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »

The dogs have gone back to their vomit.
I don't even think it's that. It's just a bunch of overgrown children taking their role-playing-games far too seriously. I bet they even brought twenty-sided dice to the event.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:33:42 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »

One of my friends compared neopaganism to a kind of religious downgrade. Going from worshiping an ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead to petty super-humans in the sky is like going from a state of the art computer back to cuneiform tablets. It's like going from God 10.0 to God Beta.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:43:23 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

A lot of neopaganism is more about Jungian archetypes than ancient gods. It bears very little resemblance to ancient paganism. The latter would probably cause much pants-pooping among the neopagan crowd.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »

One of my friends compared neopaganism to a kind of religious downgrade. Going from worshiping an ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead to petty super-humans in the sky is like going from a state of the art computer back to cuneiform tablets. It's like going from God 10.0 to God Beta.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I always cringe when I see this "I have the right belief and you are an idiot to believe anything else" boasting. Perhaps these people haven't gone from worshipping an ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead to petty super-humans in the sky. Perhaps they have never known the ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead because some *Christian/s* put them right off going down that path. Anyway, they are seeking something. Ok, we might see the seeking as a bit banal, a kind of religious role play, but hopefully they are seeking. Who knows where that will lead? That's got to count for something and it's just prideful to look down on them for not taking what we consider to be the *correct* path.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »

That's got to count for something and it's just prideful to look down on them for not taking what we consider to be the *correct* path.

I don't know, just about any religious endeavor imaginable seems more respectable to me than neopaganism. It's not that I'm better than these people, it's that everybody is.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »

A lot of neopaganism is more about Jungian archetypes than ancient gods. It bears very little resemblance to ancient paganism. The latter would probably cause much pants-pooping among the neopagan crowd.

Yeah, but I think this misses a point. Thinking back over several decades, Neo-paganism seems more likely to be a "any port in a storm" alternative to the established norm of Christianity. Spiritual mankind needing/seeking a spiritual life; and the determination that that spiritual life is going to take any form other than Christianity! Wicca, for instance, is a "do no harm to others" alternative to "love thy neighbour" without the nasty historical connections so often seen with Christians who have collectively failed so miserably to follow that commandment.

That's not to say that individual Christians haven't done good in loving their neighbours in so many cases, just that the louder and more public aspects of Christian *church* history have obscured those incidents.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

That's got to count for something and it's just prideful to look down on them for not taking what we consider to be the *correct* path.

I don't know, just about any religious endeavor imaginable seems more respectable to me than neopaganism. It's not that I'm better than these people, it's that everybody is.

Why? "There, but for the Grace of God, goes *anybody*". And Christianity was hardly considered *respectable* in its early days.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »

Yeah, but I think this misses a point. Thinking back over several decades, Neo-paganism seems more likely to be a "any port in a storm" alternative to the established norm of Christianity. Spiritual mankind needing/seeking a spiritual life; and the determination that that spiritual life is going to take any form other than Christianity! Wicca, for instance, is a "do no harm to others" alternative to "love thy neighbour" without the nasty historical connections so often seen with Christians who have collectively failed so miserably to follow that commandment.

That's not to say that individual Christians haven't done good in loving their neighbours in so many cases, just that the louder and more public aspects of Christian *church* history have obscured those incidents.

Yes, Christianity has a messy, complicated history. Yes, many of its public expressions are problematic, to say the least. Any religion with that much history will be no different. Fabricating an "old religion" out of sterile platitudes and fantastical notions of "Celtic" paganism is not a solution to be taken seriously.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »

Fabricating an "old religion" out of sterile platitudes and fantastical notions of "Celtic" paganism is not a solution to be taken seriously.

For you and me, it is true, though I don't see "do no harm to others" as being a sterile platitude.  Anyway, whatever we believe, others aren't quite seeing it our way and they have decided not to join us. They are finding some kind of fulfillment in these expressions. Might not be the kind of fulfillment we are looking for, but to call them "stupid" because of such choices, can't be considered charitable.... can it?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »

Just another sign of the times. People turn their backs on Jesus Christ who was crucified for their sake and start worshipping pagan idols.

Zeus is a minor, insignificant deity. He is not even a finalist on American Idol.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »

If you're going to pretend everyone before Christianity were all idiots you should stop using the idiotic artistic mediums they developed, that we use in icons, and the church architecture built with their evil arches and domes.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:34:10 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »

If you're going to pretend everyone before Christianity were all idiots

Yeah, you tell that strawman what's up.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »

My sense of Neo-pagans are that they reject the moral code of Christianity, particularly its sexual restrictions, and the Levite-style priesthood.  The adherents I have dealt with like a more 'do what you want' approach to religion, which Neo-paganism provides.  I have not met a Neo-pagan who had a 'religous experience' in which his/her gods revealed themselves, nor have they talked about desiring intimacy with their gods.

They are looking for something different from what Christianity offers, and so I don't blame them for leaving.  In fact, I would much rather have people leave the Church out of honesty than remain in hypocrisy.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »

If you're going to pretend everyone before Christianity were all idiots

Yeah, you tell that strawman what's up.

Whatever, being a bigot isn't a virtue. When people see you guys all going about how everyone else is idiotic and their beliefs are moronic, which you are saying despite no matter how much you prance around it and say "Strawman nyah," like the archetypal religious bigot/troll, you will do nothing but push them away from Orthodoxy.

Which is why I want my account blocked, and the moderators will not do it, this site is all about gossiping about authorities without any respect what so ever and putting down others. Its stupid. Why would anyone want to be associated with such "virtues?"
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »

Which is why I want my account blocked, and the moderators will not do it

I don't understand. What do you want them to do? Can't you just not post or read here?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I always cringe when I see this "I have the right belief and you are an idiot to believe anything else" boasting. Perhaps these people haven't gone from worshipping an ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead to petty super-humans in the sky. Perhaps they have never known the ineffable and limitless Triune Godhead because some *Christian/s* put them right off going down that path. Anyway, they are seeking something. Ok, we might see the seeking as a bit banal, a kind of religious role play, but hopefully they are seeking. Who knows where that will lead? That's got to count for something and it's just prideful to look down on them for not taking what we consider to be the *correct* path.

We don't just consider it to be the correct path.

It *is* the correct path.

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »

When people want to understand the differnce between the Pagan and Christian ideas of the divine, I usually say it's the difference between the X-Men, and infinity.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

The correct path can only be followed when someone considers it to be just that. These neo-pagans don't believe that we have what we say we have. Now what? Calling them "stupid" does what? Gets them to reconsider the path, or sends them further away from it; justified that Christians can't even live up to their so-called code of love? Where's the loving encouragement in our callous boasting that we are right and others are just idiots who don't have a clue? Is it any wonder that people don't want to join a membership of such arrogant elitists?

There has been no regret voiced in this thread for these people whose salvation is so at risk. Just intellectual condemnation.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »

The correct path can only be followed when someone considers it to be just that. These neo-pagans don't believe that we have what we say we have. Now what? Calling them "stupid" does what?

You put "stupid" in quotes as if someone said it here.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: