OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie: The Ring?  (Read 1251 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« on: April 28, 2003, 04:55:06 PM »

I saw the movie "The Ring" praised at another Christian website and was wondering if anyone here had seen it and what they thought of it. I ordinarily don't go to the movies often, but I do like horror flicks and this one caught my attention.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 05:22:20 PM »

I've seen more than half of it (never got a chance to watch it straight through).  It was alright.  I thought it was more "twisted" than "frightening", and being a twisted individual, I thought that aspect was nice.  I'd be interested in knowing why it was praised at the Christian websites you are familiar with.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 05:28:09 PM »

Thanks Mor Smiley When you say twisted, do you mean like normal wierd/strange twisted, or an over-the-top (but dark rather than comedic) twisted?

Here's a link to the comments.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 05:36:12 PM »

Admittedly, I'm not an avid movie-watcher...

I wouldn't classify The Ring as a horror movie simply because it is not what I would think of calling it if someone asked me what it was.  When I say it was twisted, I mean that it was strange...and dark, but in a subtle way.  I don't know if you've seen it, but the main focus of the film is this bizarre video of this girl.  In itself, it is not frightening at all.  It looks like some bad film class project.  It is the atmosphere and action of the rest of the movie that makes this video strange and dark.  Stuff happens, and it's weird, and it's strange, and it's bizarre, and it's dark, but not too dark.  It's twisted and interesting, and so it appealed to me, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie, and frankly was disappointed when I saw it because it wasn't "the scariest movie I've ever seen", like others told me it was...yet, for being twisted, I liked what I saw.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 05:57:15 PM »

I heard that the movie is a remake of the Japanese version, and that version is suppose to be better.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: