OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 10:26:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Ark" Online Radio Station through OCN  (Read 1551 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: January 21, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »

The Orthodox Christian Network--the guys who bring you "Come Receive the Light"--have launched an online Orthodox radio station called "The Ark" today--it's purpose is to (primarily) play contemporary Christian music (so far I've heard stuff from Orthodox and non-Orthodox artists).

You can access the player here.

What does everybody think?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »

I hope it does not end up competing with Ancient Faith Radio for funding and audience. I guess SCOBA never thought about funding Ancient Faith Radio. Our overlapping competiveness is showing again. I hope I am wrong.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 10:30:02 PM »

I too agree that I've been a little worried about the impact The Ark will have on Ancient Faith Radio.  I love Ancient Faith Radio and the work they're doing.  After listening to The Ark for a little while this evening it seems they have maybe made a conscious effort to go the Christian pop/rock route with a little Eikona liturgy-lite thrown in.  It's so far to the other end from Ancient Faith Radio they don't seem like they'll have direct competition.  They will complement each other instead.  Christian pop isn't exactly my thing but that's only my single tiny opinion (if you're gonna rock - you really need to rock, so I'll stick to some Sonic Youth or old Portishead).  But all in all, I think they will definitely have a broad listening audience and God bless them for it (and who knows, Christian pop might just start to grow on me too).  The best thing all of us can do is support both stations by listening regularly, telling others about them, and doing our fair share of financial support.    We all have a stake in the success of Orthodox evangelization in this country and our brothers and sisters at Ancient Faith and The Ark are doing the front line work.  It's up to the rest of us to get the word out about these stations and help them pay the bills.

(My one little suggestion - Contact Ancient Faith Radio and they will gladly send you small index size color cards with their website info.  I've borrowed a little trick from our evangelical friends and keep a supply of them in my purse or backpack.  Hmmm, they just always seem to disappear in doctor's waiting rooms, Starbucks, restaurants, or slipped between the pages of questionable religious reading at Barnes & Noble, like the Da Vinci Code or TD Jakes and that Osteen guy.   Anyone out there from The Ark browsing this site - y'all need to do up some kind of info card and get 'em into the hands of your listeners).

Tina G.
(From San Antonio where we've seen the sun for the first time in 10 days -
If you can't wear shorts in January you know we've had a cold spell)

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »

I just heard Michale W. Smith over singing "holy, holy, holy, I want to see you", whatever the name of that song is.

Needless to say, I am sticking with AFR from now on.

Kyrie Eleison,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »

*thread bump*

I just came upon this in my online wanderings.  Does anyone listen to this?  I had to triple check that it was something actually supported by SCOBA.  It just seems so... evangelical?  I was not impressed, but maybe it is just me. Undecided

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

*thread bump*

I just came upon this in my online wanderings.  Does anyone listen to this?  I had to triple check that it was something actually supported by SCOBA.  It just seems so... evangelical?  I was not impressed, but maybe it is just me. Undecided

WOW WOW WOW.

I cannot believe what I just heard.

Literally in the first 2 minutes, I hear the radio announcer say, "Coming up, a discussion on how we can start an Orthodox abstinence only program" followed by a horrid pop song that begins the line, "Hey you, do you want to start a mercy house..." Later on, he sings, "Hey you, you always dreamed of painting icons..."

This has got to be a parody or we're living in a very sick, sad world.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

Ok... so it's not just me then.

I was having flashbacks to 10 yrs ago and almost started swaying and clapping and thinking about making a "commitment" for Christ.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »

I was having flashbacks to 10 yrs ago and almost started swaying and clapping and thinking about making a "commitment" for Christ.

Oh, so you're not committed to Christ?  Angry  Guess you're going to hell...I better tell Pastor Jim not to worry about doing an altar call for you.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »

Oh, so you're not committed to Christ?  Angry  Guess you're going to hell...I better tell Pastor Jim not to worry about doing an altar call for you.
Pastor is such an authoritarian title.  It is best to just go on a first name basis.  Also, lets not mention hell.  It is better to just say that you will be missing out on all the blessings that God will give to you like lots of money and freedom from all your problems.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »

Pastor is such an authoritarian title.  It is best to just go on a first name basis.  Also, lets not mention hell.  It is better to just say that you will be missing out on all the blessings that God will give to you like lots of money and freedom from all your problems.
I'd "brother" Jim better?  I should have clarified:  if you don't commit, you don't get a Mercedes-Benz with a 15,000sf house.  That's like hell.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

I can't wait until I've finally jettisoned by heterodox burdens and can participate wholeheartedly in this knee-slapping repartee.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »

I can't wait until I've finally jettisoned by heterodox burdens and can participate wholeheartedly in this knee-slapping repartee.
It is quite therapuetic!  you should really give it a try.  Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »

Jettisoning is a better word than purging.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

I really cannot get over how cringe-inducing that song was. It was the stuff of nightmares. I never had any firsthand experience with evangelical craziness, so I'm a bit traumatized. Apparently that singer is now a priest (Fr. Justin Mathews). There should be canonical penalties for this sort of thing.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »

I really cannot get over how cringe-inducing that song was. It was the stuff of nightmares. I never had any firsthand experience with evangelical craziness, so I'm a bit traumatized. Apparently that singer is now a priest (Fr. Justin Mathews). There should be canonical penalties for this sort of thing.
LOL!!!!!

I'm sorry to have traumatized you. I am just stunned that the bishops would be ok with that.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »

I never listened to CCM and don't find it very compelling. Does the average Orthodox listen to CCM casually?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »

He's one of the priests at my old church in Kansas City. Kinda dropped out of the sky but he's got a good heart. But always kind of weird having him at a super-traditional church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: