OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:24:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons  (Read 1386 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »

Not certain on the proper forum for this...

As a result of my living situation when I begin to collect icons, should I collect two sets or simply have one set that I carry between my two homes??

My current living situation: Monday night, Friday night and Saturday with my parents. The rest of the week I am with my grandmother in the city.

Both homes already have icons in them (more because of the Orthodox heritage in the family rather than devout Orthodox praxis). The icons in my parents home have been offered to me...can I accept them or should I buy my own set??

Thanks
Torrey
Postolowka

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »

Accept them.  I'd keep some in both places because I've had icons damaged by moving them, even when I was being careful.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »

Accept them, absolutely.  As for the one set of icons or two, try looking at it as a single set of icons split between two places (since someday your living arrangements will be where you're in one home all the time).  Have some icons at each place and just try to avoid duplicating individual icons (of course, one can never have too many icons of the Lord or the Theotokos).  If you have two or three in each place, that's plenty for now and you'll have a fine start for an icon corner when you're out on your own someday.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »

Ok, my baba has an icon that is Our Lord and the Theotokos in one frame.  It is two separate icons on a blue background. It has a phrase: "Господи Благослави Насг Дим" Can I get that translated please??

It is quite beautiful. I will see if I can get a pic to post and show....because it seems to be *more* than other icons....would it still be suitable for an icon corner??

Thanks
Torrey

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

Can I get that translated please??
"Lord, Bless Our Home."

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: