OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:12:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sting to reunite with "Police"  (Read 2907 times) Average Rating: 0
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« on: January 15, 2007, 04:09:27 PM »

"It’s looking more certain than ever that Sting is about to reunite with his original band, The Police."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243725,00.html

This is about as exciting as the new Gun's 'n Roses album, "Chinese Democracy".  Roll Eyes

Soooooo over.

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:10:45 PM »

Excellent!

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

"It’s looking more certain than ever that Sting is about to reunite with his original band, The Police."

I've often said that there are two concert events I would pay in excess of $100 to see:  1)  If Queen ever resurrected Freddy Mercury and went on tour (not ever going to happen) and 2) if the Police ever did a reunion tour. 

They've been talking about these "reunion tours" ever since the late 1980s.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »

Does anyone know who Christopher Orr is from the Oclophobist Blog from New York. Was he a former actor?
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »

The problem they are running into is that they have to find venues that can accomodate thousands of aluminum "walkers."  Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:56:46 PM by SmoT » Logged

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »

Nonetheless, I'll still be downloading their songs for free.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:55:53 PM »

Nonetheless, I'll still be downloading their songs for free.

Cheesy

Good form!

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:12:53 PM »

I've often said that there are two concert events I would pay in excess of $100 to see:  1)  If Queen ever resurrected Freddy Mercury and went on tour (not ever going to happen) and 2) if the Police ever did a reunion tour. 

They've been talking about these "reunion tours" ever since the late 1980s.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Scamandrius

Never say "not ever".  Smiley Who knows what kinds of concerts will be held in heaven; a bonus being that entrance would be free! I can't wait to jam with Bob Marley! On second thoughts, I can wait.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »

Scamandrius

I would pay big bucks for a full reunion of the mid-'70s Genesis lineup (not the Collins/Banks/Rutherford nonsense).

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »

I heard Sting once say in an interview he was not interested in playing Police songs because he had "outgrown" that "lower stage" of his development or something like that. I thought that was so arrogant; can we ever forget our roots??

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »

I heard Sting once say in an interview he was not interested in playing Police songs because he had "outgrown" that "lower stage" of his development or something like that. I thought that was so arrogant; can we ever forget our roots??

I think I saw the same interview and didn't get the impression that Sting was being arrogant. Like all of us, life has led him along many paths. I have, for instance, left my Protestant roots in converting to Orthodoxy. I shall never forget my Protestant background and how appreciative I am for it, but if anyone asked me was I interested in rejoining with my Protestant relatives and friends in worship, I would have to answer honestly. No, I'm not. Why? Because I have simply outgrown, moved on (whatever you like to call it) from that stage of my life. I don't think saying that indicates that I consider myself superior in any way, just that now I have a different desires to those I once had.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »

I would pay big bucks for a full reunion of the mid-'70s Genesis lineup (not the Collins/Banks/Rutherford nonsense).

OK, make that three concert events I would pay more than $100 to see.  I can't believe I forgot that.  Lamb lies down on Broadway friggin' rocks! 

And Collins/Banks/Rutherford wasn't all bad!

Scamandrius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »

Who knows what kinds of concerts will be held in heaven; a bonus being that entrance would be free!

I get the feeling that I'm not going to be jammin' in heaven to the likes of Cream, Rush, the Police, Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden!  I think God is more of a Beethoven fan!  Nothing wrong with that.

As for free, you mean God wouldn't assess a 110% service charge like Ticketmaster?

Scamandrius

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »

Right on!!!!!!!!!!    Cool

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3155.msg117960/topicseen.html#msg117960

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »

OK, make that three concert events I would pay more than $100 to see.  I can't believe I forgot that.  Lamb lies down on Broadway friggin' rocks! 

Best progressive rock album EVER!  And Foxtrot and Wind and Wuthering are also right up there!

They were never the same after Steve left.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:09:15 PM »

I get the feeling that I'm not going to be jammin' in heaven to the likes of Cream, Rush, the Police, Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden!  I think God is more of a Beethoven fan!  Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah......I'm not going to complain about Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Haydn, Handel, other Baroque, "early" music etc.   Wink

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »

I have to agree. I think that Sting can be very arrogant at times.  He used to practically come to blows with Andy Summers often; Stewart Copeland had to keep them from killing each other!  Strangely enough, he does seem to have a kind of a humble side as well.....or is at least not kept from seeing reality for what it is by his behaviour at certain times!

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »

Best progressive rock album EVER!  (Lamb lies down on Broadway)

Yeah, it's really good and definitely has a high rating in my CD collection, but I wouldn' t go that far.  My top 5 for Prog Rock albums:

1)  Dark Side of the Moon--Pink Floyd
2) Moving Pictures--Rush
3) Metropolis Pt. 2 (Scenes from a Memory)--Dream Theater
4) Images and Words--Dream Theater
5) Relayer--Yes

Just MHO.

Scamandrius

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »

Well, the Yes album I might be able to come close to agreeing with you about.  I really love their 70's stuff.  I don't know Dream Theater.  But Floyd and Rush?  Just MHO........but I don't think so.

cholmes

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »

Scamandrius

It just got really spotty post-Hackett.  Duke was excellent I will admit. 

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »

I guess it takes a musician to relate and understand what he means.  He's not being arrogant (at least not in this case, because, Lord knows, the man has a huge ego).  I know, for myself, that playing music I wrote 15 years ago for my very first band is atrocious to my ears, even though I have friends, even close ones, who love that old stuff.  I hate playing it.  I get bored with it very quickly and, as a result, the feeling that I had when I wrote/played it first is gone, and the whole song suffers.  I've outgrown the desperation that I had when I wrote alot of that stuff and, as a result, I cannot do it justice anymore. 

I hope that made sense.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »

I guess it takes a musician to relate and understand what he means.  He's not being arrogant (at least not in this case, because, Lord knows, the man has a huge ego).  I know, for myself, that playing music I wrote 15 years ago for my very first band is atrocious to my ears, even though I have friends, even close ones, who love that old stuff.  I hate playing it.  I get bored with it very quickly and, as a result, the feeling that I had when I wrote/played it first is gone, and the whole song suffers.  I've outgrown the desperation that I had when I wrote alot of that stuff and, as a result, I cannot do it justice anymore. 

I hope that made sense.

Hey, Schultz!   Ah.....tune up!   Wink

It makes total sense.  A very good post.  Good to see you here again after so long!  Smiley

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »

Well, the Yes album I might be able to come close to agreeing with you about.  I really love their 70's stuff.  I don't know Dream Theater.  But Floyd and Rush?  Just MHO........but I don't think so.

Pravoslavbob,

Well, get to know Dream Theater; they are an excellent band of musicians, most of whom graduated from the Berkeley School of Music in Boston.  They are kind of heavy, but very progressively rooted; I recommend, for starters, Images and Words and move on from there.

Floyd and Rush aren't progressive?  Oh, come on!  I'm not really a huge Floyd fan, but I always come back to Dark Side of the Moon and Rush is probably my favorite band of all time.  We can trade notes sometime, if you wish.

Scamandrius

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 05:57:15 PM »

Dream Theater are definitely a music lover's (or musician's) band.  One loves them, hates them, or just doesn't get moved either way.

I'm in the first camp.  Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »

I think that Pink Floyd's Meddlewas one of their best albums. I agree with Pravoslavbobjthat Genesis's Wind and the Wuthering was exellent...especially "Blood on the Rooftops"[/i.  As for Yes I would choose Close the the Edge my fave being Siberian Khatru.  And we shouldn't forget ol' King Crimson.

cheers,  Juliana Smiley
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »

Very interesting. Saturday I just bought Sting's first solo record after leaving the Police in CD form (I used to have it on vinyl when it first came out!)

And yesterday, I was thinking, "I wonder if Sting would ever do a Police reunion. I'd pay $150 for that ticket."

Maybe I'll get the chance!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:14:55 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »

I think the Police inherited the "mantle" of Led Zeplin in terms of just being a great band and cutting edge trio.

I think U2 inherited the mantle of the Beatles in terms of a body of great work and lasting songs and being great musicians and a foursome.

I think Springsteen inherited the Rolling Stones mantle as best rock 'n roll band.

Sorry, I kind of skipped over progressive rock and jumped over to fusion, especially Return To Forever, although I always liked Yes.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 12:11:09 AM »

Well, the good old days for me were:

Sisters of Mercy- First, Last and Always
Bauhaus- Peel Sessions
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
David Bowie- everything he did, including Tin Machine
The Cure- everything pre-Disintegration

I am more of a product of the 80's who depised glam rock.

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »

Well, the good old days for me were:

Sisters of Mercy- First, Last and Always
Bauhaus- Peel Sessions
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
David Bowie- everything he did, including Tin Machine
The Cure- everything pre-Disintegration

These were the good old days?! Break out the prozac!  Nothing makes me cry more than listening to Joy Division.  Talk about depressing! :'(  It's good though (the music, I mean).

Scamandrius

Tags: Who Cares  Boring  Please Retire  Has Been Rock Rock music The Police (Band) Genesis (Band) 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: