OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia Zoo Puts Humans on Display  (Read 899 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: January 14, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »

Australia zoo puts humans on display

"An Australian zoo has put a group of humans on display to raise awareness about primate conservation... Over a month, the humans will be locked in an unused orang-utan cage at Adelaide zoo, braving the searing heat and snacking on bananas. They will be monitored by a psychologist who hopes to use the findings to improve conditions for real apes in captivity."

I can already hear everyone getting up in arms over this one!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:22:55 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »

I can already hear everyone getting up in arms over this one!  Grin

LOL...well, I presume they're volunteers, and if they want to sit in a cage eating bananas and throwing feces for a month like our less intelligent evolutionary cousins, who am I to stop them? Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:29:29 PM »

I was sort of let down when I saw that they got to go home at night.  Cool I'd like to see what they'd be like if left in there for a year, without being allowed out or direct verbal interaction with observers. I'm sure they could get some volunteers to agree to that, provided they paid enough (and with the absurd amounts of money that goes into some of these studies, I don't see why they couldn't pay a decent wage to the participants).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:30:04 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »

I was sort of let down when I saw that they got to go home at night.
I'd agree.  IT's not a very good study (well, that can be taken in general, but) if the participents do it from 9-5.  Even, PBS allow participants to be there for three months, adding realism. 

I did find this to be upliffting, though
"Zoo vets haven't ruled out using tranquillizer darts if the humans misbehave."

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags: evolution  zoo  humanity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: