OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:57:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing Godparents?  (Read 2014 times) Average Rating: 0
kamikat

« on: January 10, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »

Father has said that once I choose a God mother, we can set a date for chrismation.  He didn't really give me any suggestions on who to choose.  I've asked around, some people say that their godparent was really close to them and helped them in their faith, some people have said they didn't really know anyone in their parish and just asked someone they kinda knew.  I'm just kinda curious how you went about it?  Thanks!
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »

when we came into Orthodoxy, we chose for our Godparents and wonderful couple about our age who were a mixed couple (husband lifelong Orthodox and wife was a convert).  They were very supportive in the early years of our conversion.  We still write onec or twice a year but pray for each other daily.  I believe that finding someone whom you can go to for advice on living an Orthodox life is important and also to find someone who will continue their mission as a Godparent by praying daily for you.  Remember being a Godchild is a two way street, you pray for your Godparents justs as you would for your own parents and as they age, you may have to take care of some of their spiritual needs and of course paray for them daily. If you are choosing a Godparent  find one that does not have too many Godchildren, you want them to have time to be with you physically and spiritually in times of need. Sometimes the priest will suggest someone if you are uncertain and often someone you admire, but know they are too busy or have toop many Godchildren, will be happy to advise you who in the parish may be a good match.

Good luck in your quest for faithul and supportive sponsor.

In Christ Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »

I chose a wonderful Godfather who has a very strong interest in History like myself.

What I would suggest is get to know people in church, then choose the one with whom you are most friendly.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »

My godmother I met at a raffle drawing at church. (was fate!) As for the ones for my 4 kids getting baptised, Fr had us come up on the *stage...word escapes me now* after liturgy and did a call out for godparents.  He then chose whom he thought would best fit our family from those who volunteered.  Maybe you could do something like that?  You might be suprised at the response, especially if no-one knows you are looking.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »

You're right, Aurelia...you never know what may happen...

One of my favorite moments at church happened on one of the occaisons that an adult had come up for chrismation (the parish I was in at the time offered to chrismate already baptized adults in the Liturgy, and this convert wanted it to happen this way with his first Communion being with everyone else).

Well, the Godparents were very typically Greek, and running horribly late. Finally, Father had the convert standing in front of him and indicated that the Godparents were not present...

And one guy in the parish briefly looked at his wife, and they both stood next to the convert. The husband took off the cross he was wearing and gave it to their new Godchild. And thusly, we found out who God had chosen to be the Godparents for this new member of the Church.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »

One of my favorite moments at church happened on one of the occaisons that an adult had come up for chrismation (the parish I was in at the time offered to chrismate already baptized adults in the Liturgy, and this convert wanted it to happen this way with his first Communion being with everyone else).

Well, the Godparents were very typically Greek, and running horribly late. Finally, Father had the convert standing in front of him and indicated that the Godparents were not present...

And one guy in the parish briefly looked at his wife, and they both stood next to the convert. The husband took off the cross he was wearing and gave it to their new Godchild. And thusly, we found out who God had chosen to be the Godparents for this new member of the Church.

You won't believe what this wonderful story reminded me of!
About 15 years ago, there was a whale beaching on the south coast of Australia. Whales become disoriented without the sea's movement, so the rescuers, as well as keeping the whales wet while waiting for the tide, will stand either side of the whale and rock it gently to help it's sense of balance. On this particular instance we witnessed the most amazing thing when one of the whales managed to be returned to the shallows, but became disoriented and began drowning. Out of nowhere, two stronger whales flanked the drowning whale on either side, and with gentle twists of their bodies, they began to rock the drowning whale until it became oriented and was able to swim out to sea.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »

At my parish, women kept pulling me aside all throughout Great Lent(my baptism was scheduled for Holy Saturday) to suggest guys to be my godfather.  I went with the general parish consensus(and I liked the guy too, it's not like it was some random guy).  SO I guess I had a democratically elected godfather, lol. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: