OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 06:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Divine Liturgy!  (Read 3161 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: January 10, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »

So I attended services Sunday morning.  St. John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (http://www.uocc-stjohn.ca/)

I am still in awe.  I do have some questions and will provide further details on my experience, I have to run to class.

Postolowka

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »

Would you feel like you want to re-attend next time?
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »

From the website, looks like a very active church community!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »

I am definitely planning on attending as many Sundays as possible.  I would like to say that means every Sunday, but work still has issues managing that.

I went with my grandmother (who is ethnic Ukrainian, cannot read or write the language, just speak it). Service was almost entirely in Ukrainian (with the Epistle reading and a few announcements in English).

I didn't attend the midnight service the night before.  To begin with, I was overwhelmed by the interior architecture.  I knew it would be beautiful, but certainly unprepared for that degree.

The prayer book provided the liturgy in both languages.  So my grandmother listened and pointed out where we were. (Service was just over 2 hours long).  The choir was beautiful, although not very much congregational singing-I hear that is normal for Slavic Orthodox Churches.

I tried to follow along to a certain extent (i.e. if we are here and the priest is speaking, then after he is done we are here) but I must admit the stand-sit instructions were really confusing, it seemed that the Liturgy text said “sit” and the congregation was still standing and vice versa. I tended to follow the congregation on this.

I didn’t manage to identify all the officials in terms of roles. I identified the cathedral dean who officiated the service, my grandmother pointed him out, but as to who the others were….I am fairly clueless.

At the end, the congregation lined up in front of two priests.  The priest used what looked like a metal utensil with a ball on the end and made the Sign of the Cross on the person’s forehead….was this a blessing??

Postolowka

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:11:35 PM »

Well, the Antidoron (Blessed bread) is usually distributed at the end to all people (even if they aren't Orthodox). I'm not sure about the utensil though...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! It truly is heaven on earth. Though I don't know if I could go for 2+ hours in a language I dont understand  Cheesy.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »

It was so beautiful, even if I don't speak the language.  Languages are my thing, so I have already started a Ukrainian course.

Postolowka

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »

At the end, the congregation lined up in front of two priests.  The priest used what looked like a metal utensil with a ball on the end and made the Sign of the Cross on the person’s forehead….was this a blessing??
This was probably the Mirovanja - the festal anointing with the oil blessed during the vigil service the previous evening.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:23:28 PM »

Is wearing an orarion reserved for deacons/subdeacons??

Looking at the services I have been attending at the Cathedral, it looks like four persons: the cathedral dean, the parish priest, the assistant priest, and the deacon.

I am uncertain on the deacon....I think that is what he is Huh.  He was not there at the Christmas service....wore brilliant yellow vestments last Sunday.

"The deacon wears the orarion over his left shoulder with the front portion draped over his left forearm. He will often take this section in his right hand when leading litanies or drawing attention to a particular liturgical action." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orarion

The emphasis makes me think this person was the deacon, but I am unsure.

Thanks
Torrey

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »

If you saw him doing that and heard him intoninng litanies, then yes, only a deacon does those things.  Other things you will see the deacon doing:  censing, walking through the royal (central) doors at times, standing right alongside the priest at times etc.

Deacons and subdeacons wear the orar.  In current Eastern Slavic practice, however (I am not sure about the Greeks, the Serbs,the Romanians or the Antiochians), it is common for the bishop to bless certain altar servers to wear the orar and act as subdeacons, even though they are not "real" subdeacons.  These servers are supposed to remove their orars at communion time and then put them back on again afterwards, though I am not sure that this is always done.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:59:37 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:06:53 PM »

Thanks.  Now I just have to identify everyone else (i.e. parish priest and assistant priest).

Another question....the early service I attended on Sunday was "Litiya and Matins" I recognize the word matins but what is Litiya??

I am looking at descriptions of vestments...mitres. I saw two officials wearing them, one mitre had a red background; the background of the other was off-white. I see from reading that in the Eastern Orthodox traditions mitres may be awarded to highranking priests but are the prerogative of the (arch)bishop to wear. Given that the archbishopric for this cathedral is currently empty...what is the significance of these two mitres?? One was worn by the cathedral dean (the off-white).

While we are at it....how would the cathedral dean differ in duties/responsibilities from the parish priest/(arch)bishop??

Thanks
Torrey

P.S. Not certain if he was chanting litanies at the time. The service is 98% Ukrainian, I try to follow the English text but I get a little lost sometimes, haha.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 02:43:14 AM »

Another question....the early service I attended on Sunday was "Litiya and Matins" I recognize the word matins but what is Litiya??

I found this on a site if it helps...

In the ninth century there were already two types of liturgical services in Byzantium: monastic and cathedral. The latter was a more elaborate type with complicated ceremonial and solemnities. It was suited more for large cathedral churches, hence its name. It comprised only morning ("Utrenya"-Matins ) and evening ("Vechernya"-Vespers ) services. On the eve of more solemn festivities, Vespers were joined with Matins by the penitential or rogatory processions, during which various prayers, psalms and hymns were chanted. It became known as "Litiya" (Gr. litajno-to entreat, to supplicate) or better, as "All-night Vigil."

Source

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 02:39:47 PM »

Thanks.

Torrey

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: