OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mental illness  (Read 929 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: January 09, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »

Can, or has anyone ever witnessed anyone being cured of a mental illness because they were baptized Orthodox?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:22:20 PM »

Define "mental illness" please

Depression, schitzophrenia, bipolar, add, aspergers, psychotic behavior...what?

But personally no. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »

I wasn't baptized Orthodox, only chrismated, but I definately wasn't cured. While there are certainly texts which seem to indicate that God will rarely cure people of physiological issues (e.g., a barren women gives birth), I seriously question the practice of "just having faith" in mental illness cases. As Sirach says:

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who established his profession. From God the doctor has his wisdom, and the king provides for his sustenance. His knowledge makes the doctor distinguished, and gives him access to those in authority. God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect; Was not the water sweetened by a twig that men might learn his power? He endows men with the knowledge to glory in his mighty works, Through which the doctor eases pain and the druggist prepares his medicines; Thus God's creative work continues without cease in its efficacy on the surface of the earth. My son, when you are ill, delay not, but pray to God, who will heal you: Flee wickedness; let your hands be just, cleanse your heart of every sin; Offer your sweet-smelling oblation and petition, a rich offering according to your means. Then give the doctor his place lest he leave; for you need him too. There are times that give him an advantage, and he too beseeches God That his diagnosis may be correct and his treatment bring about a cure. He who is a sinner toward his Maker will be defiant toward the doctor. - Sirach 38:1-15

I struggled for most of my life with Tourettes and it's consequences*, depression and suicidal issues, and finally just started really getting help this year when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and given meds.

*Most people tend to lose the overt Tourettes symptoms in their early teen years, though ADD type issues continue into their early adult life.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:26:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 04:17:13 PM »

God HAS given us the power to cure our ailments through the wisdom of medical professionals. Therefore, I see medications and our own intelligence as our greatest gift. We no longer need rely on pure faith to fix a genetic defect, we have medicine, something people 2000 years ago didn't have much of. Faith in God is always needed, but thinking pure faith with no medical attention will heal all problems is pure foolishness.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:29:42 PM »

What Asteriktos and Simayan said.

Miracles can happen through baptism by a church for example but trying to manipulate a miracle out of God as your main motive for being baptised or doing something else religious is presumption, like the devil tried to trick Jesus into doing by telling him to turn stones to bread and throw himself from the top of the temple. It's not faith as Christians understand it but trying to practise magic: 'you do the ritual and now you've got God boxed into a contract; he has to serve you!' No. God is not a vending machine; of course being baptised by a church is no guarantee of cures.

Then there's the whole 'What, you weren't cured? Your faith wasn't strong enough/you're too sinful/you're not good enough' trap.

I understand that Pentecostal faith healers have a bad track record of actual healings. Oral Roberts went into it to make money and succeeded mightily.

Tags: schizophrenia bipolar disorder psychosis Asperger syndrome mental illness depression 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: