OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican Set To Baptize Space Aliens  (Read 1610 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: January 09, 2007, 05:19:43 AM »

WELCOME HOME ET!!
http://www.ufodigest.com/phprint.php
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »

The poll results on that page are disturbing (to put it mildly).

PS. A link to the Vatican Baptism thing.

PSS. Just my opinion, but I think what they are doing is illegal. The Free Use aspect of copyright law is not a free ticket to do whatever you want, even for legitimate and purely "educational" purposes. And that site is certainly not merely educational, as they are peddling magazines, DVD's, Books, etc.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:48:15 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »

How coincidental!  The points considered in the Vatican booklet are exactly something I was wondering about as I drove to work just a few days ago (that's what happens when you have a 30 minute commute and you start to extrapolate on some odd, random idea).  I really am curious about the answers to the questions but was a little too embarrased to bring them up with my priest.  It's like the strange "but what if" questions I remember asking as a catechumen.   

I've never doubted there's life out in the universe in some form or another.  Did Adam and Eve's fall affect the whole of creation where ever that may be?  Here on Earth or 10 million light years away?  If you really think about the whole thing you can almost begin to come back to an Earth-centered philosophy, even though that doesn't make scientific sense.  Thinking to hard isn't good.  That's the Vatican's scholasticism problem sometimes - I believe they just think too much.   There's a fine line between mystery and ignorance.

Oh well, it's too early in the morning to think about cosmic stuff before my second cup of coffee.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »

What is the official Orthodox stance on Extraterrestrials and Aliens from outer space?
Just curious.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

These are good questions. I have seen some of these questions a very few times before, though I can't recall any solid answers (not that speculation on such questions is bad).

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything relevant about extraterrestrial life and Orthodoxy, just the usual links to Fr. Seraphim Rose and his writings on the subject (however, arguing the validity or "orthodoxy" of his opinions is not something I want to touch this early in the morning!)

I did find some of the usual weird stuff - Chariots of the Gods is alive and flourishing on the internet.  Check out this one at:

http://www.crystalinks.com/ufohistory.html

We've got the usual Ezekial's chariot, the big eyed grey aliens, and a bunch of Eastern and Western icons/paintings full of alien spacecraft.  Go down about 2/3 and you'll find the great story of the alien spacecraft that had a close encounter (no pun intended) with the Orthodox church in Orenberg Russia in 1824.  They just can't seem to keep those things in the air - they travel 20 million light years to crash here!

Well "Klaatu barada nikto" to everyone. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tags: roman catholic Vatican 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: