OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:03:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for May site of the month  (Read 1865 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: April 26, 2003, 12:58:56 PM »

I have some suggestions for site of the month for May.

One site is Monachos, which is an excellent in-depth Orthodox site.
http://www.monachos.net/

Another site that is great is called Joy In Sorrow. This site deals with unpopular things that no one wants to talk about such as depression, despair, suffering, and suicide.
http://www.joyinsorrow.com/index2.asp

Another site suggestion I have is the Orthodox Young Adult Forums which is for those who are 18-30 years of age. This site is great because there are not many young Orthodox here in the US.
http://youth.orthodoxinternet.com/

One more website that I have is run by a church called St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Dallas, Texas. This site is full of a wealth of information on Orthodoxy. I highly recommend checking out their links on confession as they have some excellent material to help prepare for their confession.
http://www.orthodox.net/index.html

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 01:30:57 PM »

Um, ok. If you think no one in Orthodoxy is talking about depression, despair, etc., you aren't looking hard enough Wink

As for a nominee, I suggest http://www.ccel.org for the May site of the month. They not only have a good bit of the Church Fathers on that site, but they have lots of other interesting stuff, by everyone from Calvin to Schaff to Chesterton.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 01:40:48 PM »

Um, ok. If you think no one in Orthodoxy is talking about depression, despair, etc., you aren't looking hard enough Wink

I am not looking hard enough??? I cannot tell how long I have searched to find an Orthodox site that discusses these issues, there are plenty of other Christian sites out there on this stuff. I don't know about you, but when was the last time you heard a priest ever gave a sermon on depression?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 02:22:27 PM »

Ever hear a sermon on living your life in Christ? Prayer? Eucharist? If you have, then you've heard the solution to despair, depression, etc. Perhaps you should ask your priest to make it a bit more clear from now on by saying something like "And when we pray, we get a proper perspective on life, and learn to deal with depression. It isn't a magical pill, but the more we pray, the more we are able to cope with and have a proper perspective on depression." If this isn't explicit enough, read more monastic material (which is becoming increasingly available in English) and documents such as these. Most of all, continue living the life in Christ, and don't think that the temple that is your soul will be built up and beautified in a short time span. It sometimes takes us a lifetime to overcome problems; even Saints like Paul did things he didn't want to do and didn't do things he did. Victory comes through a process of salvation (ie. the life in Christ), not through finding that one, hard-to-find website or book which has some esoteric teachings that gives one the key to destroying depression, etc.

God Bless you, and may you have a wonderful Pascha!! Smiley And I hope you aren't taking what I'm saying the wrong way, though considering how I've flown off the handle in the past, I could understand you "reading me" wrong.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 02:25:38 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 03:23:36 PM »

I think all of the sites listed above are worthy. One of my longterm favorites is Al Green's site.

http://aggreen.net/orth_links/orthlinks.html

As with the others, one can get lost for days in it. An insomniac's dream come true!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 01:57:03 PM »

Sinjin, those are excellent suggestion.  Monachos is a great site, and they won our March site of the month award, but the webmaster never accepted the prize.  As a past winner, Monachos is disqualified from being nominated for a year.  The others will all be added to the voting poll when it comes out tomorrow.

Any other suggestions?  I want to have the poll up tomorrow so that we can have the clear winner declared by the end of the month.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 02:30:38 PM »

Sinjin, those are excellent suggestion.  Monachos is a great site, and they won our March site of the month award, but the webmaster never accepted the prize.  As a past winner, Monachos is disqualified from being nominated for a year.  The others will all be added to the voting poll when it comes out tomorrow.

Any other suggestions?  I want to have the poll up tomorrow so that we can have the clear winner declared by the end of the month.

I am sorry to hear that about Monachos. It is a great site. Maybe the moderator is not interested in prizes. Anyway, there are many more sites. I hope that the winner is an Orthodox site. Here are some more sites:

This site is Father Alexander's website it is another very good website. It contains articles in Russian, English. Spanish, and Portugese. A good site to learn more about your faith.
http://www.fatheralexander.org/

Another good site would be the ROCOR cafe. But I am guessing that was site of the month already.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 06:55:45 PM by sinjinsmythe » Logged

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 01:58:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I am now locking this thread and creating the poll thread.  The poll will go until the morning of April 30th.  Please vote in the poll.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: