OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:39:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for the Name of a Famous Ethiopian Monk  (Read 2040 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: January 07, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »

In Egypt I was told a story by a monk of St. Mina's Monastery concerning a famous Ethiopian Monk who resided in Egypt during the days of His Imperial Majesty, but have completely forgotten this Ethiopian monk's name and would appreciate some assistance in recalling it. In a nutshell, news of the sanctity of this monk was wide-spread, and as such H.I.M apparently sent some envoys to him (for a purpose I cannot recall). Upon meeting these envoys, this Ethiopian monk sent the envoys back to H.I.M with a prophetic warning to the effect of: "Tell H.I.M, that if he divides the Coptic Church, God will divide his kingdom". This was during the days prior to the establishment of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's autocephaly, a movement inspired largely by the efforts of H.I.M. Apparently, shortly after the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's acquirement of its pursued status of autocephaly, the Imperial Family was slaughtered in the Imperial Palace.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:40:41 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »

In Egypt I was told a story by a monk of St. Mina's Monastery concerning a famous Ethiopian Monk who resided in Egypt during the days of His Imperial Majesty, but have completely forgotten this Ethiopian monk's name and would appreciate some assistance in recalling it. In a nutshell, news of the sanctity of this monk was wide-spread, and as such H.I.M apparently sent some envoys to him (for a purpose I cannot recall). Upon meeting these envoys, this Ethiopian monk sent the envoys back to H.I.M with a prophetic warning to the effect of: "Tell H.I.M, that if he divides the Coptic Church, God will divide his kingdom". This was during the days prior to the establishment of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's autocephaly, a movement inspired largely by the efforts of H.I.M. Apparently, shortly after the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's acquirement of its pursued status of autocephaly, the Imperial Family was slaughtered in the Imperial Palace.

WO Shocked

That is indeed most interesting...

I'd like to know more about this guy and his name too.

Merry Christmas.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »

Just for the record, only the Emperor and some of His sons-in-law died in the revolution. I highly doubt atheistic Communists would be sent by God to fulfill a prophecy.

Be interested to know the monk's name though.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

Just for the record, only the Emperor and some of His sons-in-law died in the revolution. I highly doubt atheistic Communists would be sent by God to fulfill a prophecy.

Be interested to know the monk's name though.

That doesn't mean the prophecy is incorrect (and neither does that mean God sent them anyway).  Paganistic Roman soldiers destroyed the Jewish temple, and that was prophecied.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
meenas

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:57:12 AM »

Peace

The most famous Ethiopian monk in Egypt in the 20th century, I believe, was Abouna 3abd el Massih el Habashy, who walked from Ethiopia to Egypt to dwell in Scete because of his admiration of its illuminous history. Maybe it was him.

Ps.  I hope you having good time in the motherland. Be sure to bring back plenty of photos of Abba Fanous.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:20:55 PM by serb1389 » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »

Yes, it's Abouna abdul-Masseeh! I can't find any information on him anywhere, would you happen to have any good references?

Ps.  I hope you having good time in the motherland. Be sure to bring back plenty of photos of Abba Fanous.

I have videos! However, I don't think i'm allowed to publish them on the internet (though I can publish screenshots, as I have in my display pic), but I will certainly show you on my digital camera when I see you back at uni.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:21:05 PM by serb1389 » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:56:14 PM »

found a picture:

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »

There is no division.

The Coptic Church and Ethiopian Church are one Church Holy Universal, Apostolic and Orthodox in the lord. This is true now and has been true from the beginning.

HIM helped to provide Ethiopia with the right to have "Ethiopian" bishops and arch bishops.

The Coptic Patriarchate for centuries barred Ethiopians from serving Christ and His Church among the peoples of the Ethiopian Empire. NO Ethiopian could be ordained bishop or arch bishop. Thus the servitude was rendered to Coptic clergy only. The Coptic Pope Athanasius served the whole Church when he lifted this age old behavior which had kept the Ethiopians "seperated" from the divine service within the church we loved and had accepted from the 1st century (read Acts Chp 8 starting at the 28th verse). The Pope and HIM actually created oneness, a unity of brotherhood that the Copts and the Ethiopians had never had before. WE were no longer mere underlings but could now stand with 'equality' and respect among the all the whole orthodox church. This was embraced by all the world wide orthodox church. Particular since The Ethiopian Church was and still  is the largest Orthodox community on earth (except for Russia ??). But is certainly the largest of the oriental communion even to this day. Most bishops worlwide expressed it was about time.

Thus the opening of the bisphoric in Ethiopia within the Holy Church is clearly an act that shed division and opened up unity and equality which is the teachings of our lord. WE are one.

Thus the story porported from a devout Ethiopian monk in Egypt prophecying about the division of the Ethiopian Empire due to HIM efforts within the church if true was inaccurate. The Empire did divide but not because of  division in the coptic Church at the hands of HIM.

This story is a wise tale  of sorts; half true, half story telling. Some people (coptics in particular) at the time and even now have a feeling of superior status as regards us Ethiopians. I am sorry about that. Especially since I know so many coptic people who are terribly embarrased by this. People make up stories to make themselves feel more important.

As an ordained Deacon (full deacon as would be stated in coptic circles) I have participated both Coptic an Ethiopian liturgies. They are the same.

What may be worth noting is todays Ethiopia is surrounded by a sea of Arab culture and language but to this day the Arabic langauge and culture is very much in the background of Ethiopian society. People generally do not speak Arabic in Ethiopia even today. Not that Arabic is bad; but to point out that we have strongly resisted 'outside' influences good or bad. We have over thousands of years maintained our idenity as African. Not simply 'from Africa'. We are the "real McCoy" as they say. We are the same people that the ancient Egyptians knew. Both societies stood toe to toe, we also married each other and ruled each others nations. Today in 2006 Ethiopia is still here. Alive. Not a relic of history.

I mention this to show that We (the Ethiopians) are a people of past and present. This can be witnessed in our ancient traditions which are still authentic and African.

These are the elements that helped keep Ethiopia humble over the ages. We excepted little cause we had so much. You can barely find as much in any other African society.

Even Egypt today is 95% Arab and or Arabic speaking. The powerful culture of the ancient past is virtually gone.

I am not being arrogent; I am stating these cultural variations in hopes to open minds to the intricate human side of what causes people to move forward or stand still.

This is tricky...

The Coptic Church is our home; many Ethiopians understand that. I love the Coptic tradition.

The existence of The Ethiopian Church bisphoric is the evidence that WE are one dwelling on equal terms....united, one African Church from the mediterrainen to the Southern cape of Azanniah in harmony with the whole Universal Church of Christ. Thus the Church is no longer Coptic or Ethiopian we both are one in the universal Apostolic order. Ethiopia and Coptic are only cultural/biographical in nature. NOT "churches"

We can not change the fact we are people and that our past is part of our future. The Copts have variances of the past preserved in the Coptic langauge. The Ethiopians use Geez which is very ancient with elements that go back to Meroe the former Ethiopian capital now southern Sudan.

I feel it is not important to ressurect these old stories. I also feel that if we do lets keep it in context.

Fr. Deacon Amde Tsion

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »

Amdetsion,

I am sorry, but I find your conclusions regarding the credence of this anecdote to be more influenced by your own emotional disposition to the matter moreso than upon any evidence pertinent to the actual anecdote itself or the monk who recalled this anecdote.

You concentrate on certain fruits of the outcome to justify the means. I'm sure all of us who have a grasp of reality and basic morality can agree that a means is not necessarily justified by the ends.

The anecdote in question was not brought up as an attack on the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, nor do I have any negative feelings towards her. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a genuine and faithful Orthodox Church whose Cup is my Cup, whose Bread is my Bread, whose Faith is my Faith, and whose Life is my Life. I accept and respect her autocephalous status, and the existing relationship between her and my church. However, that does not necessarily mean that it was God's desired will that she pursue autocephaly, which is all that this anecdote would suggest.

Nevertheless, the intention behind my bringing up this anecdote goes no further than it does at a face value reading of my post i.e. my intention was merely to acquire the name of the monk in question so that I can do more research on him. Maybe the anecdote is fundamentally flawed or based on shaky testimony, but I am not inclined to assume so at the stake of the integrity of the monastic who recalled the anecdote for me unless I have substantial and evidence-based reason to.

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »

It is emotional EkristosAnesti!

What else should it be?

It was very unfortunate for our communities that our church suffered the divisions of the last century or more.

Their is no reason why we should have had what happened happen.

It is a blessing that our church was finally opened to all of its believers; not just the Coptics.

IT is a blessing.

Autocephaly is not division my brother. It is unity; people helping themselves 'combining' forces. Lack of autocepahly is dependence.

Christ wants us to reach up for Him. Each man in his faith must take his hands and raise them up if he can. Ethiopia can, is and always could raise her own hands.

The scripture teaches in the Psalm: "Ethiopia shall soon stretch her hands up to God".

the fulness of that 'reaching' was thus prophesised and fully revealed back in 1952 AD; thanks be to God.

I hope you understand this.

Peace from God

Fr. Deacon Amde Tsion

I love you and all of my extended family.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tags: H.I.M. schism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: