Author Topic: Father John Mack  (Read 46388 times)

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
Re: Father John Mack
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2007, 12:21:46 AM »
GiC, bishops have to consider there are people in all states.  Some are not adults, and children suffer equally in situations like this.  Ultimately bishops should do their utmost to protect their flocks, because the trust between a parishioner and a priest is great.  None of that obviates personal responsibility.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying...I agree that the bishops acted appropriately...but the parishioners who went along with this guy should not be viewed as victims, but rather as fellow conspirators.

Offline Mo the Ethio

• Proud Capitalist
  • Elder
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2007, 01:15:28 AM »
GiC, bishops have to consider there are people in all states.  Some are not adults, and children suffer equally in situations like this.  Ultimately bishops should do their utmost to protect their flocks, because the trust between a parishioner and a priest is great.  None of that obviates personal responsibility.

-----

One thing I think that is worth considering are two posts made at the start of the thread by a self-stated parishioner of the mission

My comment was it sounds like the OCA and Antiochians are like the Mafia.  Either that is the case, or some terribly misleading ideas were floating around.  I'm assuming the person in question got these ideas from somewhere.  Balance this forced out/vendetta statement with the "just leaving cause of sectarianism/following conscience" thing.    Then take in to account what Corsair is saying.
  People:
I stand by my previous posts. I know what I witnessed. That being said, Corsair...is it proper to slander the man?
Did you attend St.Sofia? Do you know him personally? 
 I do know him as an brilliant articlulater of the Orthodoxy who converted many , many into the true faith.
You (Corsair ) insinuate a cultish demenor about Fr. John.  You should be prepared to prodoce any documents you claim to have seen to support your case. As a former parishioner and Parish Council President under Fr. John,  I am shocked by your monsterous libel.
 It sickens me that we spend so much time gossiping about the man`s short comings instead of lamenting the loss of a great teacher of the faith. We all fall short ...yes even our Priests.
 IF YOU WANT A PERFECT PRIEST................BECOME ROMAN CATHOLIC....
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

Offline Eleos

• Elder
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »
John Mack is a self-admitted "sectarian", why are we praising his conscience?  Isnt it by his own admission broken? The bishops (including both Catholic and Orthodox) that keep upholding his priesthood are not paying attention to this.  There is always someone who will capitalize on the prestige of others if they get a chance.  This is called opportunism.  Great for business, brutally vicious in spiritual matters.  

The most loving thing that you can do for John Mack is ignore him.  Especially any claims he has to authority as a teacher, confessor, spiritual director, prophet or scholar.  He is too smart and clever for his own good.  I say these things not because I am angry or judge him, but to warn people to not get caught up in any emotional reaction they've had to his presence or writings in the past.  This is a good opportunity to detach from false teaching and see how easy it is to be caught up in the excitement of cults of personality (and observe it continuing on in BCC)

That being said, I wish him and his family well.  

And last but not least, noone should listen to me because I have no authority just opinions!  Use your own mind, reason and conscience to make your own decisions.  Seek spiritual counsel (from those with sound orthodoxy, not John Mack).
"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965

Offline Mo the Ethio

• Proud Capitalist
  • Elder
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »
What is the deal with all these newbies coming in here to slam on John Mack?
It PISSES me off that Orthodox people are so judgemental of our own and everyone else.
WHERE IS THE LOVE?????????????????????????????????????????????

Perhaps Mat 777 had a valid point ..................
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:38:20 AM by Mo the Ethio »
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

Offline Eleos

• Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2007, 01:58:32 AM »
Oh is this a club where people who don't have the time to post 250+ messages don't have the right to speak their mind?

You're the newb.

Why is this man still a priest?  He calls himself a sectarian.  Im only listening to what the man says.  I realize your emotional about it because you have a relationship with him.  And that's actually expected and commendable within a christian context.  I don't blame you for being upset about the situation.  One thing though, he is not "our own" because he has judged orthodoxy as not being capable of healing his affliction.  Is it wrong for me as an orthodox christian to take issue with that?
"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965

Offline Corsair

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2007, 02:29:47 AM »
  People:
I stand by my previous posts. I know what I witnessed. That being said, Corsair...is it proper to slander the man?
Did you attend St.Sofia? Do you know him personally? 
 I do know him as an brilliant articlulater of the Orthodoxy who converted many , many into the true faith.
You (Corsair ) insinuate a cultish demenor about Fr. John.  You should be prepared to prodoce any documents you claim to have seen to support your case. As a former parishioner and Parish Council President under Fr. John,  I am shocked by your monsterous libel.
 It sickens me that we spend so much time gossiping about the man`s short comings instead of lamenting the loss of a great teacher of the faith. We all fall short ...yes even our Priests.
 IF YOU WANT A PERFECT PRIEST................BECOME ROMAN CATHOLIC....

I stand by my statements based on my own FIRSTHAND experience and I know what I witnessed. It is not libel or slander or gossip to warn others that a priest has spiritually abused his parishioners based on FIRSTHAND experience.

Your experience may have been nothing but positive with Fr. Mack, but my experience was that he hurt a LOT of people and that his ecclesiastical hopping about is more about what is expedient for himself than anything else.

It's not about picking on his "shortcomings," but rather pointing out, regardless of his personal charisma and ability to teach, that he is unfit to be a priest in the care of others' souls.

Offline dantxny

• OC.net Mineshaft gap
  • High Elder
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2007, 03:22:15 AM »
Okay, this thread is getting nasty and being reduced to name calling and is closed.  However, a new thread in FFA with many posts from here will be opened and we can continue the discussion on priesthood requirements.

Daniel
Global Moderator.
"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.