OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is hard rock and/or metal music evil?
I don't really have an opinion/none of the above. - 3 (6.8%)
Only heavy metal is evil, rock isn't that bad. - 5 (11.4%)
Hard rock is evil, though classic rock is ok. - 3 (6.8%)
All rock is evil, regardless of the subgenre. - 6 (13.6%)
Rock isn't evil - 23 (52.3%)
I don't really have an opinion/none of the above. - 4 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock and Metal Music the Work of Satan?  (Read 8025 times) Average Rating: 0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 10:59:44 AM »

I don't think that a genre can be evil. Although, songs and performances that encourage risky and immoral behavior should not be listened to.

Music either makes me think or makes me feel, sometimes both (which is the best kind).

Most anything by Mozart makes me thankful to God, for his talent was extraordinary. Same goes when I listen to Pavarotti, the then six-year old Connie (at Britain's Got Talent two years ago), and Alison Kraus.

Then you have songs/compositions that combine musical genius with special meaning, like Rachmaninoff's Great Vespers, Verdi's "Dies Irae, and "Whiskey Lulluby" sung by Brad Paisley and Alison Kraus.

Finally, who cannot be enchanted by many of the standards in the Great American Songbook and even some of the newer standards from newer musicals?

With standards this high, rock comes into better focus and context. The best rock combines musicality with artistry, ergo: The Eagles!!!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »

I guess that Wagner makes you think of fascism then? Cheesy

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

No. When I hear Wagner I either just just think of whatever opera it's from or I think of Anna Russell and her take on the "Ring Cycle"  Grin

Here's the first part of a video of this comic tour du force on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM15dEexiu0

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Conservative Rebel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

Can anyone give me a precise definition of rock music? I tried to find it, but somehow did not.

On the whole, I don't believe that a Christian who seeks a life in Christ should listen to any singer or group who allow themselves to be blasphemous, to mock God, the Theotokos, the basic truths and values of Christianity, to sing praises to Satan or glorify fornication, murder, sexual perversions or anything of this kind. Saints, like St Seraphim of Sarov, taught us to guard ourselves from external impressions that can harm our soul.

Is the pleasure you can get from a concert worth causing serious harm to your soul?
Tags: music metal evil Rock music 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: