OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:14:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is hard rock and/or metal music evil?
I don't really have an opinion/none of the above. - 3 (6.8%)
Only heavy metal is evil, rock isn't that bad. - 5 (11.4%)
Hard rock is evil, though classic rock is ok. - 3 (6.8%)
All rock is evil, regardless of the subgenre. - 6 (13.6%)
Rock isn't evil - 23 (52.3%)
I don't really have an opinion/none of the above. - 4 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock and Metal Music the Work of Satan?  (Read 8023 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: January 04, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »

Do the themes of a sexual, occultic, or otherwise unChristian nature mean that bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. are evil? What about metal bands like Metallica? Or Megadeth? Or something more extreme like or Cannibal Corpse?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:07:43 PM »

The musical genres are not evil in themselves.  Lord knows that I enjoy some rock (including classic Led Zeppelin and some alternative like Radiohead).  Humans are passionate beings that sometimes express themselves through their music and lyrics.  There are many songs out their that are totally raunchy and are purely sexual (a sizeable portion are found in the hip/hop genre as well) and cannot help affecting one with carnal thoughts.  It is too bad because many rock songs have good music but bad lyrics.  However, it is possible to find good music with intelligent lyrics if you look outside mainstream radio.
Juliana Smiley
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »

Evil shmeevil.  Simple fact is, if there is no accordian involved, why bother.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »

I voted that only the black/death metal is evil. I mean, while slayer, megadeth, black sabbath, etc. sometimes play around with "evil" themes, I don't get the feeling that they are that extreme in their real lives. Many of those death/black metal people though, I'm pretty sure that they would be insulted if you didn't sincerely consider them to be evil.

Simple fact is, if there is no accordian involved, why bother

Lol, while I used to listen to the polka music because my Grand Father would have it on on Sunday mornings, the only actual accordian music that I can take is by weird al yankovic.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:47:08 PM »

Rock is hideous, obnoxious, and boring...but evil? Give me a break.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:44:09 AM »

Like the NRA says. . . Guns don't kill people, people do.  Rock isn't evil, though some people who listen to it may be.  Wanna poll evil music. . . gangsta rap.

PB
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »

Never evil, no music is evil.  Some is questionable in terms of subject matter or annoying in terms of the beat or whatever, but not evil.  Plus I happen to like Ozzy and Korn (though i hate metallica) and am married to a metalhead. I like techno and NIN and stuff like that, along with all the depeche mode and pop songs and other stuff...I'm eclectic, i guess. Gangsta rap I can live without.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »

I went to a retreat once where a monk talked about how music is evil. 

He basically said that due to the heavy use of certain chord progressions and notes, this was in line with many of the rhythms and beats of pagans in Africa who used drum beats to worship their gods (devils). 

He also said that the Devil was the greates of the angels in terms of how he played the lyre/harp in heaven, so when he was cast down he still uses this skill to lure us away from God subliminally...

Food for thought... Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
AMM
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 12:44:28 PM »

I went to a retreat once where a monk talked about how music is evil. 

He basically said that due to the heavy use of certain chord progressions and notes, this was in line with many of the rhythms and beats of pagans in Africa who used drum beats to worship their gods (devils). 

He also said that the Devil was the greates of the angels in terms of how he played the lyre/harp in heaven, so when he was cast down he still uses this skill to lure us away from God subliminally...

Food for thought... Wink

Guess I won't be burning any of my Les Baxter MP3's for him...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »

Yeah, I could see that. If Satan existed and was ever to come up with music, it would probably sound like heavy metal (with the heavy use of perfect fifths, palm muting, etc.).  And who else could come up with the profound, beautiful, controlled chaos of metal, as heard on albums like Rust in Peace? Grin

AMM
Archon

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »

If there's anything evil about Heavy Metal it's the fact that people get rich off that nonsense.  It's a business pure and simple.

I think if Satan had a theme song, it would be in the music of Schonberg.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:58:14 PM by welkodox » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »

Someone should tell all those metal guys playing in grimy clubs and living out of their van that they're supposed to be getting rich, lol. And Schonberg isn't all bad. A Survivor from Warsaw wasn't so bad. Well, ok, let me rephrase that, it wasn't boring. Personally, I can't stand classical music. ZZZzzz.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »

He basically said that due to the heavy use of certain chord progressions and notes, this was in line with many of the rhythms and beats of pagans in Africa who used drum beats to worship their gods (devils)

Just imagine if the Church had adapted elements of pagan Greek music into its chant.  Thank God we've been spared from that.  
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »

Evil? Nah...it just sucks!

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »

Evil shmeevil.  Simple fact is, if there is no accordian involved, why bother.

You must be a They Might be Giants fan.  Wink

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »

Just imagine if the Church had adapted elements of pagan Greek music into its chant.  Thank God we've been spared from that. 

Yeah, or even worse......can you imagine what would have happened if the Russian Church had adapted German beer drinking songs?  Wink
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:35:58 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 01:38:51 PM »

Personally, I can't stand classical music. ZZZzzz.

Too bad for you.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »

Too bad for you.

I second that.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »

Just imagine if the Church had adapted elements of pagan Greek music into its chant.  Thank God we've been spared from that. 

Yeah, I'm glad they kept all the Paganism out of Orthodoxy.  Shweeew.

Someone should tell all those metal guys playing in grimy clubs and living out of their van that they're supposed to be getting rich, lol.

I would be willing to bet the ultimate goal of those people is not to live a Matt Foley existence but to actually go on and be another Metallica, with all of the varioius rewards that go along with that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:09:43 PM by welkodox » Logged
AMM
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »

You must be a They Might be Giants fan.  Wink

I can't even remember anything they sang.  My teen years were the 80's though, maybe Dexy's Midnight Runners had an accordian.  Who knows.  It's all new fangled hogwash to me anyhow!

I will always associate heavy metal with high school, and the guys I knew who wore "Dio", "Judas Priest" and "Def Lepperd" concert t-shirts while smoking in the park across the street from school.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 12:46:50 AM »

I think the great Duke Ellington once said that there are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music; neither type has a monopoly on a particular style or genre.

Of course, the music could be good but the lyrics stupid, juvenile, or banal, resulting in their being bad (both aesthetically and morally). Alot of the "satanic" lyrics are like toilet and body part humor; it's just the lowest common denominator in terms of adolescent rebellion. It's just more pathetic when 20 or 30-somethings are writing the lyrics - it's like they should grow up and get over it!

However, I would not be comfortable listening to those kinds of lyrics.

I teach guitar and once had a student for whom his lessons for a year was for me to learn every Danzig tune off of the first two albums and transcribe them for him in tablature. The lyrics to alot of those songs made me uncomfortable at times (but the music was pretty cool).
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:27 AM »

Like the NRA says. . . Guns don't kill people, people do.  Rock isn't evil, though some people who listen to it may be.  Wanna poll evil music. . . gangsta rap.

PB
Fo shizzle!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »

He already does.  You haven't heard of The Devil's Third?

It's the first riff of Black Sabbath.

Wink

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

He already does.  You haven't heard of The Devil's Third?
I'm not sure one could get away with calling a tritone a third.  Calling it the Devil's Fifth sounds better, especially if you think of this harmony as what happens when a duet tries to sing a fifth after drinking a fifth. Grin
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »

In my (Protestant) youth group used to have discussions on whether rock music (classic, heavy metal, hard rock, etc.) was bad for you or could hurt you. Back then, I didn't care since my only  musical passion was Beethoven!

The basic premise of this poll is the same stuff that we got from the Moral Majority back in the 1980s (my youth directors must have been members).  Music is only bad if you use it for an evil purpose.  Singing about the dark side of human nature, which bands like Metallic and Slayer do, isn't evil.  Now, if it encouraged people to do such things (and that is highly debatable) then perhaps it should be censored (by apporpriate persons, certainly not by governmental entities; discussion for another time).

Just mho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »

I thought it was evil only if played backwards...which would make it "live"....

Proverbs 22:7
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

I thought it was evil only if played backwards...which would make it "live"....

I'll pay that.  Grin Grin Grin
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »

ya'll should google the video series They Sold Their Souls for Rock 'N' Roll. ive always listened to rock music but these videos are amazingly convincing that there is something unholy going on with much of rock music.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »

^Yes, and I have done plenty of unholy things after watching them.  Post hoc ergo propter hoc!  Give me a break.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »

have you watched the videos?
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »

Funeral Mist is evil.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »

You guys ain't hip til you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJ_0UBdDrY
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:08:56 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 06:20:23 PM »

Funeral Mist is evil.
Geez, these guys make Black Sabbath look like choir boys. Shocked

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »

ya'll should google the video series They Sold Their Souls for Rock 'N' Roll. ive always listened to rock music but these videos are amazingly convincing that there is something unholy going on with much of rock music.
It's no longer available on YouTube, and I'm not paying $40 for it.

Here's the description from their website:

Is it true that Satan is the master musician working behind the popular music scene and influencing our youth?

Fasten your seat belts as you go on an eye-popping ride upon the roller coaster of Rock, and find out how Rock’s most popular artists have Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll. In this mind-blowing exposé Pastor Joe Schimmel reveals just how Satan has been effectively using popular music to undermine God’s plan for the family and ultimately heralding the coming of the Antichrist and his kingdom on earth.

This full-length video series contains 10 hours of eye-popping, rare, and some never before seen footage that will leave you picking your jaw up off the ground, as you see hundreds of artists (most of whom are not covered in the abbreviated 3-hour version) being used by Satan to destroy many lives. Come behind the scenes with us as we expose the deceptive agendas of many of yesterday and today’s secular artists, such as: Elvis, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, U2, Creed, Madonna, Britney Spears, DMX, Tupac, Tori Amos, and many more.

It's time to remove the blinders - guard yourself and those you love from one of Satan’s most powerful tools!
This description alone is enough for me not to take them seriously.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:51:28 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »

This description alone is enough for me not to take them seriously.
Yep.  Roll Eyes
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »

There used to be a Jack Chick tract (imagine that) that implied Satanic priests and priestesses were present at the pressing of albums to "bless" the music with demons to be released when the listener played the album.  Sort of like having a priest come to your factory to get a kosher rating, I guess, but the whole idea gave me quite the laughing fit.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »

There used to be a Jack Chick tract (imagine that) that implied Satanic priests and priestesses were present at the pressing of albums to "bless" the music with demons to be released when the listener played the album.  Sort of like having a priest come to your factory to get a kosher rating, I guess, but the whole idea gave me quite the laughing fit.
Jack Chick, I have collected those for years, they just make me laugh so hard.  laugh
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »

Jack Chick, I have collected those for years, they just make me laugh so hard.  laugh

Yep, they're great for a laugh.  Especially when he references his own books as source material.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »

Yep, they're great for a laugh.  Especially when he references his own books as source material.
Ha. Man, it gets me everytime.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »

There are Fundies out there that pretty much treat Jack Chick Tracts as divinely inspired. Blind fanaticism is scary and very creepy.

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »

theyre available on Google Video, here's part one http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2494291415376995856

and you can laugh at the description, but like i said the videos are amazingly convincing, with many many firsthand interviews from the artists themselves speaking of demonic things in their music.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »

I collected them in the past myself.  I have a first edition of "Dark Dungeons". That's the one that has a footnote warning about the evil witchcraft in the works of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien.  It was put in because someone told him that those authors' work was evil, he didn't know anything about them first hand.  The note was taken out of later editions from what I recall, after someone told him otherwise.
 Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 03:33:21 AM »

There are Fundies out there that pretty much treat Jack Chick Tracts as divinely inspired. Blind fanaticism is scary and very creepy.

There's no time to worry about that mess!  You want to see scary and creepy from the latest Chick Tract?

Fhtagn!

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »

They're not satanic/evil, they're just misled. If they knew the truth, they wouldn't do so.
By the way, David Mustaine from Megadeth is a Christian and he also wrote a song against the New World Order.

And music on its own isn't evil (I think). Christian black metal is good. Cheesy

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »

There's no time to worry about that mess!  You want to see scary and creepy from the latest Chick Tract?

Fhtagn!

My god... it's full of stars!   Grin

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 10:59:44 AM »

I don't think that a genre can be evil. Although, songs and performances that encourage risky and immoral behavior should not be listened to.

Music either makes me think or makes me feel, sometimes both (which is the best kind).

Most anything by Mozart makes me thankful to God, for his talent was extraordinary. Same goes when I listen to Pavarotti, the then six-year old Connie (at Britain's Got Talent two years ago), and Alison Kraus.

Then you have songs/compositions that combine musical genius with special meaning, like Rachmaninoff's Great Vespers, Verdi's "Dies Irae, and "Whiskey Lulluby" sung by Brad Paisley and Alison Kraus.

Finally, who cannot be enchanted by many of the standards in the Great American Songbook and even some of the newer standards from newer musicals?

With standards this high, rock comes into better focus and context. The best rock combines musicality with artistry, ergo: The Eagles!!!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »

I guess that Wagner makes you think of fascism then? Cheesy

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

No. When I hear Wagner I either just just think of whatever opera it's from or I think of Anna Russell and her take on the "Ring Cycle"  Grin

Here's the first part of a video of this comic tour du force on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM15dEexiu0

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Conservative Rebel

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

Can anyone give me a precise definition of rock music? I tried to find it, but somehow did not.

On the whole, I don't believe that a Christian who seeks a life in Christ should listen to any singer or group who allow themselves to be blasphemous, to mock God, the Theotokos, the basic truths and values of Christianity, to sing praises to Satan or glorify fornication, murder, sexual perversions or anything of this kind. Saints, like St Seraphim of Sarov, taught us to guard ourselves from external impressions that can harm our soul.

Is the pleasure you can get from a concert worth causing serious harm to your soul?
Tags: music metal evil Rock music 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: