OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 year anniversary in Orthodoxy  (Read 1328 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« on: January 01, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »

Four years ago today I began this journey.

On New Year's Eve 2002 I went to Borders with my Christmas gift card to buy a CD and book; that night I began reading and listening, to enjoy a quiet NYEve.

The book was, AT THE CORNER OF EAST AND NOW, by Frederica Mathews-Green. I probably read the first couple chapters the first night.

New Year's day I knew I wanted to be Orthodox. A few weeks later I attended my first Divine Liturgy. Then I began attending vespers and all the extra Lenten services shortly thereafter.

Fifteen months later I was chrismated and received into the Orthodox Church.

So, I went from lead guitarist in the band at a contemporary worship church (part of the emergent church movement in evangelicalism) to Orthodox catechumen to Orthodox convert to one of the regulars (totally accepted and fitting right in) in our little mostly ethnic parish (OCA).

One more year and I will have passed the litmus test in the "five-year" thread!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

At the time I also thought I was part of a mushrooming trend of a wave of protestant converts to Orthodoxy, but it never materialized.

Many of my protestant friends were deeply intrigued, and even seemed envious of what I had found. But I think people are too heavily vested in their investment "shares" in protestant "stock" to ever leave easily.
(for example, the other members of the worship band and worship team would have to leave behind their favorite interests: playing in the band, creating the powerpoint presentations, being the sound tech, planning the service (their "liturgy" so-to-speak: the order of songs, prayers, video, drama presentations, readings, etc.).

Sometimes it makes me ponder: I wonder what it takes to make a person ripe for conversion (other than a movement of the Holy Spirit, of course). But on the human level what pushes the person to make a change?

I read somewhere, that one of the factors in the conversion of the Roman Empire in the first three centuries was a general fatigue with paganism and its gods and religious practices.

I certainly had fatigued with evangelicalism....
(Yet I still value what it taught me and it's role in my journey, and I don't have the visceral reaction to it that some protestant converts seem to have.)

Anyway, my apologies for such a personal reflection thread. Maybe it will nonetheless spark some discussion.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 03:05:39 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »

Cangratulations Aidan!  Keep sticking with the Church, you are in the right place now.  I know some protestants like your friends who have not gone to the Orthodox Church  because they were not able to feel they had a place with their gifts or talents.  What would have happened had they made contact with some orthodox Christian musicians?
Who knows maybe we would have had a few more converts.
Thomas
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 03:48:47 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »

That reminds me - got a lovely Christmas gift via e-mail of all the songs from Where Is Your Heaven?, an acoustic folk album written and performed by an Orthodox nun, Mother Katherine (Weston) in Indianapolis. This isn't the modern RC hymnal or CCM but good music well performed, worthy of the old New York coffeehouses with Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »

That Cd sounds good.

That's what I ended up doing. I recorded a CD. There are some new compositions on it, and other ones going back thirty years. I carefully edited all the lyrics to reflect by new-found Orthodox faith.

sunny

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »

Dear Brother Aidan,
My conversion from evangelical Christianity (Calvary Chapel type) was in April of 2004.  I was speaking today to a friend of 20 years who is still in the evangelical nondenominational church. That church has split and put itself back together at least half a dozen times. Many of the families split off and started little churches in their own homes, and the building itself ownly hosts about 4 families on Sunday mornings now. I asked my friend what they do and she says they watch and listen to a praise video, read the Bible and then prayer for each other and go home. She sees this as church and sees nothing wrong with it. She used to be Roman Catholic but became disillusioned with it and ended up with her current situation. Because the splitting of the church happened there are about 20 families affected, and many of them don't speak to each other-it gets complicated wondering who will run into who at the grocery store. I've spoken to her about Orthodoxy many times of course, but she just doesn't "get it."
It doesn't seem bothersome to her that they take turns being the "leader" and having authority over each other. I don't know why she doesn't see how illogical what they're doing is. But I know she would have to travel quite a distance to find an Orthodox church as she lives in rural Wisconsin. She doesn't want to rock the boat I guess. It's sad.
Sunny

NULL
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:52:45 AM »

Congratulations Brother Aidan! I've read that book too and it does make someone excited about Orthodoxy. I think I might have to pull it off the shelf now and reread it now that you brought it back to mind.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 11:38:45 PM »

Sunny
maybe it is the autonomy and the idea of using ones "gifts"

Marat
I was thinking or re-reading it too!
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:48:23 AM »

That reminds me - got a lovely Christmas gift via e-mail of all the songs from Where Is Your Heaven?, an acoustic folk album written and performed by an Orthodox nun, Mother Katherine (Weston) in Indianapolis. This isn't the modern RC hymnal or CCM but good music well performed, worthy of the old New York coffeehouses with Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell.

Googling for the album title and Katherine does not return any hits. Where can one acquire or hear the tracks from this album?

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: