OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:15:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Godparent  (Read 748 times) Average Rating: 0
sunny

« on: January 02, 2007, 03:09:56 AM »

I have two questions:
Has anyone ever heard of changing or adding to your baptismal name? (Which I think I choose poorly)
Has anyone ever heard of a priest appointing another godparent for someone whose godparent left the parish and had nothing to do with their godchild after the baptism? I feel abandoned (which of course I have been) and as a convert I would certainly like an involved godparent or sponsor whom I could ask questions of and learn from. I asked the priest about this person but they had no comment about their abandonment of me. I guess he didn't know how to respond. Anyway can a new one be appointed?
I wish I could have a do-over for the whole thing. The priest waited until the night before my baptism to try to find someone for me-I guess he forgot or was too busy during that week (I was baptized on Lazurus Saturday). I have tried to get to know some of the older women in the parish, but most are very busy with their own lives and families, and after all I'm not their goddaughter so why should they care?
Sunny

NULL
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »

I have been advised that you may always ask someone to function as a mentor, whether you call them a God-parent or not is up to you. The term we use as a Godparent is often translated as sponsor---some Godparents feel that once the person is baptised and an adult that their responsibility is over---while I disagree to that premise. There is a two way path between godparent and god child that continues through death.  I have written an article on this and if you wish a copy pm me and I will send you the website that you may read it on or I can send the article to you.

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:51:48 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: