OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 12:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken and torn shoulder  (Read 1509 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: December 29, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »

Fell seven weeks ago. Doctor pushed my right arm back into the shoulder joint or so he thought. Range of motion is still limited.

A trip to the physical therapists was worth it because they confirmed what I knew, that the arm is still slightly out of place and mustn’t be forced.

The MRI (my first ever) was interesting: I was in a tube for 30 minutes but with headphones listening to MOTR rock, soft lights and some air blowing on my face (to keep the air fresh and the experts know that blowing air in your face keeps the claustrophobic from freaking out). Even got a souvenir CD-ROM of the scans.

The orthopædist I saw was the first one available and not my doctor’s first choice: the second time I saw him he misread my chart (‘so, you hurt it two weeks ago’; ‘no, a month’; ‘oh’), acted like he never even talked to the physical therapists I saw and blew off their warning not to force the arm (he’s a bit prideful: ‘PTs are not surgeons!’). At least the MRI showed what’s wrong: one partially torn ligament and a stress fracture in one bone. (My first known broken bone!)

What's obvious to two PTs and a friend who's a second-year med student is not to a surgeon with X-rays, an MRI and a ’tude.

This orthopædist doesn’t think he has to operate (which is usually good news) but it’s my arm and I don’t trust this guy’s judgement so I’m going to somebody else on the 2nd.

At least I think I'll have better insurance after New Year's.

Prayers are appreciated.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »

Hoping and praying that better insurance kicks in for you after New Year.  Definitly get a second opinion. 

Lord have mercy!

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »

May the Lord repair the work of His Hands.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:29:33 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Your experience doesn't suprise me, and it sort of scares me sometimes. Hope you heal soon.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Jesus, please help your loyal servant and restore his health.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 05:47:40 PM »

Thanks again.

Saw a competent orthopaedist on Tuesday morning who after looking me over confirmed what a friend who is a second-year med student said - it's obvious from across the room that something's wrong! The deltoid muscle that should be on top of the shoulder isn't (which is why the shoulder looks out of place); it's sagging and I can't move it (and thus my my arm all the way) because of nerve damage. That nerve gets stretched in these injuries and can take a year to heal; if it's torn I'll need a neurosurgeon to try to fix it.

That and the labrum is torn, which the less than competent orthopaedist got wrong.

So structurally the shoulder is in place and not that badly damaged but 'that's the least of your problems'.

Not the best news but it's still a relief to finally be in good hands.

Next up: a test from a neurologist (a week from today) and some physical therapy to stop that muscle atrophying.

Props to Dr John Paul Salvo at Cooper Bone & Joint Institute.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:57:49 PM by The young fogey » Logged

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:45:33 AM »

Went back to physical therapy finally knowing what's wrong and got some simple exercises to do that seem to help. Chances are even if the back deltoid remains paralysed I can get back at least some range of motion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:55:46 AM by The young fogey » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »

Good to hear.  May the Lord assist you and bring you to a full recovery!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Serge 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: