OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:00:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Has the internet played a significant role in what Church, jurisdiction, or belief system you are in?
This question isn't really applicable to me. - 18 (47.4%)
It has played some role, though I'm not sure that I'd call it significant. - 7 (18.4%)
Yes, the internet has played a significant role. - 8 (21.1%)
Are you kidding? The internet is my primary reason for being where I am! - 1 (2.6%)
This question isn't really applicable to me. - 4 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Effect on Choice of Church/Jurisdiction?  (Read 1840 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: December 28, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »

Out of curiosity (I seem to start half my posts with that, but anyway...), has the internet effected your decision to be in the Church or Orthodox jurisdiction that you are in? I guess the term "significant" is subjective, so you'll have to make that call yourself. Basically, I'd just like to find out who feels that the internet has provided information or reasons to be in a particular group. I'm asking because traditionally people don't switch Churches (I think something like 12 out of 13 people will stay in the same Church that their parents were in), but the number of converts seems to be much higher on the internet. Is this because the internet attracts converts, or does the internet itself have a large role to play in creating converts? What has your experience been?

As for myself, I would say that, excepting my original decision to become a Christian, the internet has probably played a significant part in every move that I've made (1. to leave Protestantism, 2. to become Orthodox rather than Catholic, 3. to go ROCOR, 4. to leave Christianity). Personally, except for the move to ROCOR, it wasn't so much reading articles and such as actual interactions with people on discussion board. I also read a few books along the way, but it was on the internet that I mostly worked out different issues. I found chat rooms in Paltalk to be a good way to see things from another perspective, since I don't really have the patience to read a lot of different types of theological posts (I'm attracted to ones more rooted in history), and chat rooms are more geared towards people giving quick overviews of their position on different issues.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »

I know you youngin's may find this hard to believe, but I was Baptised Orthodox and made my first visit to Mount Athos before there was Internet, cell phones or even CD's, and you were considered pretty cool if you carried a floppy (and I mean "floppy") disk.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:10 PM »

Hey, I'm not too young to remember floppy (5 1/4) disks, lol. Of course, I was in Junior High then  Grin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 11:51:44 PM »

The Internet didn't have any effect on which jurisdiction I attended. I met Orthodoxy in books, not online, and I chose the parish to attend by location. Since I've moved, I'm toying with attending a closer parish, but haven't committed to that yet. Internet hasn't had a role, at least so far.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:16:11 AM »

As a youngin' myself, I voted "No, the internet has played no significant role."  There is a GOA parish 5-10 minutes from where I live and that is mostly where I have attended.  For Sunday liturgy there are other parishes that I prefer that are a bit further, but something far away just isn't practical for times of the year like Lent when there are three services during the weekday evenings. 
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 12:25:14 AM »

The internet hasn't really played any role in my religion or metaphysical philosophy; however, it has not only played a significant role in my socio-cultural philosophy, it IS a significant element of my socio-cultural philosophy...so where does that fit on your list Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »

I guess that's a no for you. Regarding the second part... is it just your philosophy that it has effected, or your activity/free time/life as well?  Cool

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »

I guess that's a no for you. Regarding the second part... is it just your philosophy that it has effected, or your activity/free time/life as well?  Cool

No, not at all (says the forum's guy with the Most (legitimate) Time Online) Wink

The internet is the first step to the integration of humanity and computers...the greatest cultural development since writing.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 12:50:56 AM »

Luckily my exposure to Orthodoxy was long before the publicly accessible Internet existed, and my decision to become Orthodox was made before I became familiar with many of the materials and writings that are aimed at and/or written by Orthodox converts (online and in print).

The Internet has mostly aided in filling in details and giving perspective on experiences I have had in real life in the church.
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:57:31 AM »

I encountered the Orthodox Church about the same time as the first personal computers were being introduced, and that was before the internet was even a dream. My encounter with the faith was done the old fashioned wa, by personal contact and then by reading and asking face to face questions. It has seemed to work for the past 1900 years, and in my case still continued to work. Some things the internet just can not replace. For that I am eternally grateful  Wink.

Friar Tuck
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 06:13:18 AM »

Similar to Welkodox my exposure to Orthodoxy came well before the internet; however, I had lapsed for many years and prior to my return the internet provided a wealth of information concerning Orthodoxy. Conversely, the wealth of information had to then be discerned, separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 01:59:10 AM »

Conversely, the wealth of information had to then be discerned, separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Cheesy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »

No, not at all (says the forum's guy with the Most (legitimate) Time Online) Wink

The internet is the first step to the integration of humanity and computers...the greatest cultural development since writing.

Legitimate??? HAHAHA

As to your second point - Methinks that your statement should now be enough to convince people of your ultimate goal in life, which is to become a member of the collective (I think the name "2nd of 3" should do.... with your two roommates from your first semester).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »

I'm, "Are you Kidding?..."
If it hadn't been for the internet I'd never have given Orthodoxy any chance.  I was on my way to becoming Roman Catholic when I ran into an Orthodox message board.  I was so happy that The Church wasn't using the Novus Ordo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:25:36 PM by Landon77 » Logged

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »

I would say kind of.  I mainly used books to helf further my search, but the internet was useful at some times.  In actuallity, though, originally I was hoping to go into the OCA because of internet searching and reading.  However, I found the ROCOR parish much more comfortable and went there instead.  When I was Catholic, I looked heavily into SSPX.  However, once I started reading Thomistic theology I realized I had not only a problem with them but the Roman Theology.  Again, it kind of goes to tell you to only take what you read on the internet so far.  You can usually go a lot further by meeting real people and investigating in hard research.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags: Internet 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: