OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 06:05:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HH Pope Shenouda and HB Pope Theodorus common statement on Max Michel  (Read 2311 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: December 28, 2006, 08:55:28 PM »

http://www.copticpope.org/downloads/commondec/commondec-2-2006eng.pdf

A great testament to unity of our churches.

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:58:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:19:11 AM »

My response to the implications of this common declaration:

http://copticorthodoxy.blogspot.com/2007/01/question-of-relationship-between.html

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:02:03 PM »

Here's my take on the issue:

http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-8-pid-28.html

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 11:09:47 PM »

Which "canon" are they speaking of when they talk about bishops not being married? I was under the impression that that idea was not solidly in place until after the first great schism (over chalcedon), but the document speaks as though it is a canon common to both Churches.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:03:51 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »

You just stole my ideas whilst rejecting my conclusions. Cheesy Wink Seriously man, as I tried to explain, the position you adopt is just as dishonest as its opposite extreme, for it selectively accepts certain aspects of the Church's Life whilst rejecting others. If your concern was for the Truth alone and nothing but the Truth, then you would consider the Life of the Church as a whole and accept it as it is; you would not be pushing certain aspects of the Church's life to their extreme logical conclusions. Needless to say, I believe you're influenced, whether intentionally or not, by other motives.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 03:03:25 AM »

You just stole my ideas whilst rejecting my conclusions. Cheesy Wink Seriously man, as I tried to explain, the position you adopt is just as dishonest as its opposite extreme, for it selectively accepts certain aspects of the Church's Life whilst rejecting others. If your concern was for the Truth alone and nothing but the Truth, then you would consider the Life of the Church as a whole and accept it as it is; you would not be pushing certain aspects of the Church's life to their extreme logical conclusions. Needless to say, I believe you're influenced, whether intentionally or not, by other motives.

Gosh...I hate it when I look like I'm plagiarizing  Embarrassed

But really those ideas were posted by me on another website (well not in its fullness as you put it).  I just noticed that the language is something intriguing, and I never thought the Pope himself would express it as such (although I felt there were implications beforehand).  I really did though look past the condemnation against Max Michel and saw this as something I have seen for the first time an expression of agreement that both "families" locally work together as if they consider one another sister Orthodox churches.

But if anything, you might be right.  I don't know.  This whole issue is a bumpy ride.  I just see it this way:  if they were never of the Church to begin with, the dialogues should give us a different tone, or at least clarify itself, and perhaps declarations like these are, as you and I agree, are pointless.  I mean people have lost faith in Orthodoxy (even faith in Christianity) over this stuff.  As much as it sounds hopeful, to many it's also heartbreaking.  If I do not believe in what I believe, I feel that the Church then truly has lost its defenses against the gate of Hades.

As for the canon, perhaps they are talking about a local canon?  I personally have yet to find this canon, but I was interested more in the implications of this agreement.

God bless.

Mina

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »

I didn't mean to sort of sidestep the main issue. When it comes to the unity issue between EO and OO, I guess I've just already had my fill, so to speak, with all the stuff that happened in the 90's. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth, again, on this subject, so I'll just leave it at that. Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
FHL

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 07:12:12 AM »

Now I do think that the OO and EO are alot closer than many others here do, but I will say that two churches working together to keep unified beliefs among them doesn't mean they accept each other. It could be possible they just want to make things easier for the other if they decide to admit error and join their church. Why do we care so much when liberal Protestant groups ordinate women? Becuase the further they go, the harder it is for them to come back. It might just be the same with this case.

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:15:47 PM »

I didn't mean to sort of sidestep the main issue. When it comes to the unity issue between EO and OO, I guess I've just already had my fill, so to speak, with all the stuff that happened in the 90's. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth, again, on this subject, so I'll just leave it at that. Smiley

I didn't mean anything by what I said, just wanted to stress what I thought was interesting about this document.  I actually do care about your question though.  I asked your question a couple of months back, but I received no answer (actually more than a half a year ago!).

God bless.

Mina

Tags: unity Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: