OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Spirit before Creation  (Read 949 times) Average Rating: 0
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« on: December 27, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

I was having a conversation with a RCC friend last night and we were discussing the filioque.  We finally got to hashing out the problems that eternal procession "From" the Father poses, which he admits.  However, he posed a question that I do not have an answer for.  What was the Holy Spirit before Creation?  Let briefly clarify.  The Father is the orignater and the source of all.  The Son is the Logos.  Therefore, what was the Holy Spirit and what is his original relation to the Trinity?  Thanks

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:58:08 PM »

I was having a conversation with a RCC friend last night and we were discussing the filioque.  We finally got to hashing out the problems that eternal procession "From" the Father poses, which he admits.  However, he posed a question that I do not have an answer for.  What was the Holy Spirit before Creation?  Let briefly clarify.  The Father is the orignater and the source of all.  The Son is the Logos.  Therefore, what was the Holy Spirit and what is his original relation to the Trinity?  Thanks

Well, other than being the third distinct divine hypostasis, to borrow another term from the Philosophers, the Holy Spirit is the Soul, that which bears the Logos.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »

Well, other than being the third distinct divine hypostasis, to borrow another term from the Philosophers, the Holy Spirit is the Soul, that which bears the Logos.
I hope you dont mind in myself asking for a little clarification as I am unfamiliar with this philisophical aspect.  Then, to ask a more direct question how is the Soul then distinct from the Logos?  Also, if the Soul bears the Logos I am assumming this is part of the reason of the nature of the incarnation, that Christ was incarnate of the Theotokos and the Holy Spirit.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:57:49 PM »

St John the Damascene wrote "We believe also in the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father and rests in the Son'" (Dogmatic Chapters)

The Holy Spirit is distinct from the Son in that the Holy Spirit proceeds, while the Son is begotten.  Both have their origin in the Father but a different relationship as implied by the different active terms.

The Spirit resting in the Son represents the Father's perfect love for the Son, and is a uniting principle between Father and Son.  So the Holy Spirit effects a unity of persons in Trinity as a bond of the dual relationship of Father and Son.  It is also said that the Son reflects the Spirit back to the Father, but this is not a causal relationship as the procession from the Father is.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: