OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sylvia Browne and Pope Benedict!  (Read 3363 times) Average Rating: 0
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: December 27, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »

Sylvia Browne, for those of you that know who that is, was recently blessed by Pope Benedict. She said it today on the Montel Show and showed a picture. The Pope blessed a "psychic" who claims we live in pastlives, have spirit guides, and has made many many many false predictions that are outright just wrong. I just felt like mentioning this  Smiley

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »

I think the real story here is why you are watching Montel?  Grin Grin Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Zoe
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:37:48 PM »

Because he my baby daddy.

NI!!!!!!
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:49:29 PM »

Because he my baby daddy.

I iz not!  Uze gots ta get you one of dem tests!  Wuzn't me!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »

Sylvia Browne, for those of you that know who that is, was recently blessed by Pope Benedict. She said it today on the Montel Show and showed a picture. The Pope blessed a "psychic" who claims we live in pastlives, have spirit guides, and has made many many many false predictions that are outright just wrong. I just felt like mentioning this  Smiley

How nice. Perhaps he should have cursed her instead?

If Benedict can bless rosaries and icons and other holy objects, he most certainly can give blessings on human beings. If God follows through and does bless Sylvia Browne, she would turn from her heterodox practices.
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 02:33:19 PM »

The Pope blessed a "psychic" who claims we live in pastlives, have spirit guides, and has made many many many false predictions that are outright just wrong. I just felt like mentioning this  Smiley

Because he is the/a [insert standard SmoT/TomS deragatory noun/comment here]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:34:11 PM by SmoT » Logged

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »

If Benedict can bless rosaries and icons and other holy objects, he most certainly can give blessings on human beings. If God follows through and does bless Sylvia Browne, she would turn from her heterodox practices.

But now she will be claiming legitimacy by association. Some people will think "Gee, if even the Pope supports her, maybe she really does have psychic powers!"

Large Marge sent me...
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 03:03:32 PM »

They should have just sat down and had Raki.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »

Is this witch now nihil obstat?

"Take what you like and leave the rest behind."

Yet the truth of Sylvia's words will become manifest of their own accord. When a person listens to the philosophy, and those words strike a cord of truth within the soul, then one must take heed. When those words have that familiar feeling of being correct, where the mind and heart say "that makes sense," then one must listen — for that is the God within asking for entrance to your mind. We believe that God can, and must, be understood.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »

Who knows if he even knew who she is? I doubt it.

Even so, I see nothing wrong with His Holiness asking God's blessings on anyone. At Holy Communion, anyone can ask for a blessing from the priest in lieu of the Eucharist. Anyone who thinks the pope is supporting Browne's views by giving her a blessing probably also thinks the pope is a Muslim for praying silently in the Blue Mosque. I trust Benedict, previously known as God's Rottweiler for his enforcement of orthodoxy---I don't doubt his orthodox Catholic credentials. It's like Nixon going to China. It wasn't seen as a concession, because it was Nixon doing it. Nobody could doubt Nixon's anti-Communist credentials.

Nobody can call the author of Dominus Iesus a syncretist or universalist.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »

Anyone who thinks the pope is supporting Browne's views by giving her a blessing probably also thinks the pope is a Muslim for praying silently in the Blue Mosque.

The difference is that she will lie to people, showing off pictures or telling stories. So, people (especially nominal Catholics) who want to believe in her, but are unsure, might be persuaded by this last little bit. I have a Catholic family (on my Father's side), and I'm pretty sure that a lot of them would hold to a "Eh, what's wrong with psychics?" attitude. Such people probably number in the tens of millions, possibly hundreds of millions.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 03:43:14 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »

is it not enough that she claims to be a psychic that makes her unholy? Then she claims to be christian on but of course adds her own doctrines which no church (not even the most heretical ones) would consider as truth. I mean, I always thought you have two types of psychics; the phony ones and the ones that are works of the devil. Shes not even the latter, Lord has seen how many stupid mess ups shes had, all you need to do is have a quick check on youtube. She also makes 100% confident predictions for the years and a lot of them are wrong. To me, she is nothing but a phony that is only hindering the success of "Christianity".

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »

Yeah, her track record on predictions is as bad as Benny Hinn's and Pat Robertson's.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 05:52:04 PM »

I could be wrong, but I see this little different than the Orthodox practice of bishops and/or priests blessing heavily-armed men as they prepare to do battle. That anyone imagines that such a blessing is a licence to slaughter all in sundry rather overlooks the purpose, doesn't it?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 11:40:07 PM »

May be straying to a new thread...but St Sergius of Radonezh blessed St Alexander Nevsky to do battle against the Tartars.  As the Orthodox warriors fell in battle, the monks prayed for their departing souls.  They didn't use TV or binoculars but prayer.  As St John Baptist said to the soldiers:  Be content with your pay etc.. He didn't say: lay down your arms or let's hold hands and sing Kum by yah in Aramaic.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 11:49:17 PM »

Oh ya, she also said that in 2007 Georgey will "bring the troops home". Shes insane. Those 3 inch nails of her's further act as proof on my theory. I used to believe what she said but as a messenger of the devil trying to make people stray from Christianity, but now I just see that shes a scam artist. I might however pick up her new book "early life of Christ" just to see whats in it  Roll Eyes

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 04:31:59 AM »

maybe she really does have psychic powers!"

You mean. . . she doesn't Huh Huh Huh Huh      Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What will I do now when I need advice Huh    Wink

PB
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »

Because he is the/a [insert standard SmoT/TomS deragatory noun/comment here]

Amazing...just amazing.... Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: