OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:29:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wedding ring  (Read 6092 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: December 27, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »

I wanted to ask were the Greek custom of wearing the wedding ring on the right hand came from and what the meaning behind it is. I figured I'd ask here before giving mom a call.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:38:12 AM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »

I hope this may assist you.  It is a quote from a class that I teach new converts on Orthodox Marriage.  You will find the reference I used in this portion of the handout material noted:

"It has always been the tradition of the Church to place the wedding ring on the right hand of the couple based on biblical references. This is seen very clearly in one of the prayers in the Betrothal Service, but we don' hear it in the Antiochian Archdiocese because of the abbreviated service that we use. A portion of the prayer refers to the biblical references: “For You, O Lord, have declared that a pledge is to be given and held inviolate in all things. By a ring Joseph was given might in Egypt; by a ring Daniel was exalted in Babylon; by a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion upon His prodigal son, for He said, Put a ring upon his right hand, kill the fatted calf, and let us eat and rejoice. Your own right hand, O Lord, armed Moses in the Red Sea. By word of Your truth were the Heavens established and the earth set upon her sure foundations; and the right hands of Your servants shall be blessed by Your mighty word, and by Your uplifted arm. As we see, it was scripturally the practice to wear rings on the right hand. Some traditions have the groom wearing a gold ring and the wife wearing a silver ring, others use both silver or both gold.  (reference: http://www.antiochian.org/1286)"

I hope that answers part of your question.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:39:04 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:18 AM »

..by a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion upon His prodigal son, for He said, ‘Put a ring upon his right hand, kill the fatted calf, and let us eat and rejoice.

This refers to the ring of the clan. The gift from the father (family identification) was worn on the right hand.

The idea of putting the marriage ring on the right hand was adopted by the eastern underclass in order to mimic the wealthy class. It has absolutelty NOTHING to do with scripture.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 12:40:55 PM by SmoT » Logged

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »

This refers to the ring of the clan. The gift from the father (family identifaction) was worn on the right hand.

The idea of putting the marriage ring on the right hand was adopted by the eastern underclass in order to mimic the wealthy class. It has absolutelty NOTHING to do with scripture.

As do most our customs, but we feel better if we thrown in a few unrelated bible verses or patristic quotes Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »

One interpretation is the following: Traditionally, the right hand is considered to be the 'strong' hand, not just the hand associated with 'good' (the r'ight-hand centricness' of past societies were very pronounced, as all my left'handed relatives will state).

In the rubrics of the Wedding, the rings are placed on the right hand as a sign of the strength of the blessing and support the Lord is giving the couple. Nowadays we do not have the same cultural inference of wearing a ring on the left hand as would be present several hundred years ago.

However, our actions give insight regarding our motivations. The Tradition of the Church is to place the  ring on the right hand, and the priest deliberately does so in the Betrothal. I think the act of a couple that then voluntarily removes the ring from the right--where the priest and the Church have indicated it should be placed---to put the ring on the left--where society dictates the ring should be placed---shows what the couple values more: society conformity or conformity ot the teachings of the Church.

SmoT is correct in that the clan ring was often worn on the right hand, but this is not inappropriate since the new couple is now making thier own 'clan'. Interestingly, the one reference I found to a ring being worn on either hand states the ring was on the right and was a signet ring, which when used within this context of Scripture shows the extreme value of wearing a ring on the right hand:

Jer 22:24
 As I live, Yahweh declares, even if Coniah son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, were the signet ring on my right hand, I would still wrench you off!

Both Presbytera and I wear our wedding ring on the right hand. The few times anyone has asked has actually provided an opportunity to discuss the nature of Tradition and the Church, and has led to very productive discussions between myself and the people who are curious.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »

The Tradition of the Church is to place the  ring on the right hand, and the priest deliberately does so in the Betrothal. I think the act of a couple that then voluntarily removes the ring from the right--where the priest and the Church have indicated it should be placed---to put the ring on the left--where society dictates the ring should be placed---shows what the couple values more: society conformity or conformity ot the teachings of the Church.

I guess it depends on the Priest. My GOA Priest put the rings on our left hand in our ceremony. And I don't recall him asking us which hand we preferred. I do remember him saying that the right hand was an "old world cultural tradition". He said nothing to us about the Church saying that it should be done a certain way.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:00:18 PM by SmoT » Logged

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:17:15 PM »

I guess it depends on the Priest. My GOA Priest put the rings on our left hand in our ceremony. And I don't recall him asking us which hand we preferred. I do remember him saying that the right hand was an "old world cultural tradition". He said nothing to us about the Church saying that it should be done a certain way.

Based on your past comments regarding your understanding of the Church and her teachings, I'm not at all surprised that your priest did what he did. I'm sorry on your behalf, and not at all being sarcastic or anything, SmoT.

From the Goarch website:

http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/betrothal.asp

Then with the rings the Priest makes the Sign of the Cross over the woman's head, saying:

The servant of God (Name) is betrothed to the servant of God (Name), in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. (Thrice) Amen.

At the third time, the Priest puts the woman's ring on the man's right finger, and the man's ring on the woman's right finger.

Then the Groomsman exchanges the rings thrice

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

However, our actions give insight regarding our motivations. The Tradition of the Church is to place the  ring on the right hand, and the priest deliberately does so in the Betrothal. I think the act of a couple that then voluntarily removes the ring from the right--where the priest and the Church have indicated it should be placed---to put the ring on the left--where society dictates the ring should be placed---shows what the couple values more: society conformity or conformity ot the teachings of the Church.

Of course, it is important to follow one's own conscience on such matters.

However, as I don't see this as a spiritual issue, but a personal choice, I sense no hindrance in following a preference - for whatever reason. Interestingly, when I asked our priest if hubby and I had to keep our wedding rings on the right hand, he said it was up to us. (In fact, he and his presbytera both wore wedding rings on their left hands.)

After having worn my wedding ring on the left hand for 20+years, I saw no need to change - neither did my husband who is now a Fr.Deacon. To me, that is where my wedding ring belongs. Preferring the left hand for my wedding ring, had nothing to do with "society conformity", any more than preferring the right hand would be considered conforming to some ethno-tradition. Many Europeans traditionally place the wedding ring on the right hand, Orthodox or not. The English tradition is the left hand. Long live diversity and personal freedom!  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:37:34 PM »

Based on your past comments regarding your understanding of the Church and her teachings, I'm not at all surprised that your priest did what he did. I'm sorry on your behalf, and not at all being sarcastic or anything, SmoT.

FrChris,

I'm sure that nobody would consider your above comment to SmoT at all sarcastic, condescending or superior.... would they?  Roll Eyes

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »

I would also like to add that traditionally, when the priest blesses a couples engagement. The couple wears there wedding band on the left hand until their marriage where the rings are than switched to the right.  We use our wedding bands as engagement rings.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
BasilCan

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »

Most of us know that, traditionally, wedding bands are worn on the right hand, not only in the Orthodox church, but the Catholic and European protestant churches as well. (Though, wearing the ring on the left hand has become the Orthodox custom in many countries in the west and middle east). From what I could research the wearing of wedding bands on the left hand is a recent Anglican innovation. The revision of the Book of Common prayer in the Anglican church in the mid-16th century had the wedding band on a woman moved to her left hand because the right hand was considered the hand of power, authority and independence while the left was the hand of subjection and dependence and a more fitting place for the wife to wear her symbol of subjugation to her husband. It was also moved there, as another religious move to disassociate the church from the Catholics.  From the Anglicans, then, came this modern innovation and since the Episcopal church and its many “breakoffs” such as the Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, etc. came to dominate the American religious scene, this tradition became the norm in the United States.

By the way, until the past few decades, most North American protestant men never wore a wedding ring. Only their wives did, and on the left hand. My Dad is now 80 and he and his friends, all Anglicans, never had a wedding band.
Basil
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »

By the way, until the past few decades, most North American protestant men never wore a wedding ring. Only their wives did, and on the left hand. My Dad is now 80 and he and his friends, all Anglicans, never had a wedding band.
Basil

That is true. My Dad's generation of Anglicans never had wedding rings. If memory serves me correctly, I believe my husband's generation is probably the first. What an innovator he is!! Just shows how little it takes to start a tradition, though; neither my son nor my sons-in-law would have even considered it an option not to wear a wedding ring. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:07:35 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

cothrige

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »

That is true. My Dad's generation of Anglicans never had wedding rings. If memory serves me correctly, I believe my husband's generation is probably the first. What an innovator he is!! Just shows how little it takes to start a tradition, though; neither my son nor my sons-in-law would have even considered it an option not to wear a wedding ring. 

I suppose my generation (I'm 35) considers it de rigeur to wear a wedding band, but I have been married for eleven years and have never really worn mine.  Maybe for a month or two after the ceremony, but it didn't last.   I don't recall anyone I know thinking it wrong somehow though.

Patrick
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 06:40:38 PM »

I've never worn my wedding ring, though mostly because jewelry and I don't get along very well.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »

I suppose my generation (I'm 35) considers it de rigeur to wear a wedding band, but I have been married for eleven years and have never really worn mine.  Maybe for a month or two after the ceremony, but it didn't last.   I don't recall anyone I know thinking it wrong somehow though.

Patrick

Patrick,

Such matters are personal choices, in my opinion. If you and your wife are happy with your decision, who else has the right to have any say? If anyone was to make too big a deal out of it, it would become an issue of legalism. Traditions, with a lower-case "t", will always come and go.

suzannes

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 11:46:03 PM »

I'm not married, but hey, maybe someday, but Fr. Chris' comment was interesting:

"I think the act of a couple that then voluntarily removes the ring from the right--where the priest and the Church have indicated it should be placed---to put the ring on the left--where society dictates the ring should be placed---shows what the couple values more: society conformity or conformity ot the teachings of the Church."

Honestly, I had *horrible* carpel tunnel in my right hand.  I had surgery, but it still swells, and I could never sleep with a ring on that hand.  So, if I had a wedding ring, I'd wear it on my left, not out conformity to society, just because I could leave it on my left, I'd have to keep removing it from my right hand.  A wedding ring is an object that has been blessed though, and I would ask a priest and explain my situation. 

Does anyone know if it's true that when a priest is ordained, he removes his wedding ring because his first commitment is to Christ?  I've seen priests who wear them and those who don't.

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 12:42:36 AM »

Does anyone know if it's true that when a priest is ordained, he removes his wedding ring because his first commitment is to Christ?  I've seen priests who wear them and those who don't.

Very often the decision for a priest to retain or remove his wedding ring is one made between the priest and his sprirtual father and/or his hierarch. The only priests I have met who have removed their wedding rings after ordination were advised to do so by their spiritual father. Perhaps other clergy have other reasons as well!

Also, when my wife's carpal tunnel flares up, where she also then becomes reluctant to wear her wedding ring, she takes it off until the situation stabilizes and/or returns to normal. My wife also never sleeps with her ring on, to not aggravate this condition as well as to avoid damaging the ring. (she's also very allergic to metal of any kind, and so limiting the exposure and skin contact helps reduce any allergic reaction, which will involve joint swelling, and consequent aggravation of carpal tunnel. The endless circle of discomfort continues...)

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »

Since I am getting married in October at the OCA cathedral, I figured I could weigh in on this with my personal view. My parents wore their wedding rings on their left hand (they were married in an ACROD parish) until their 20th anniversary at which point my father who had been doing research for one of his adult education classes came across the verses that have been stated here and asked my mom to change their rings. So on the day of their 20th anniversary they moved their rings to the right hand and they've been there for 5+ years. At the OCA cathedral, EVERYONE wears their wedding rings on their right hands. Some because its a European custom that they've grown up with, others for the simple fact that they feel right takes predominance over left and right is the stronger hand so they want their wedding ring to be on the strongest hand on the side of predominance. As it says in Matthew 25:

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.
32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

When my fiancee and I get married in October, we will have our rings on our right hand for the rest of our lives. The funny part is that I wasn't the one who proposed it, my fiancee did and I was more than happy to agree to it. I even have my High School right on my left ring finger just for the purpose of being able to wear it while wearing my wedding ring.

It may not be a compelling argument, but I feel that the right hand is the correct place for the wedding ring.

My 2 cents

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »

Mr. Y and I also wear our rings on our right hands, for the reasons listed above.  I have my engagement ring on my left hand so I don't appear to be available (LOL). 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »

something that seems to becoming popular is the wearing of two rings. One on the left and one on the right. The one on the right is the actual ring from the marriage service and then one on the left is there to tell the rest of the world that they are married.

Joseph
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

I bet the jewelry stores love that!  Cheesy

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »

I was told that the wedding ring becomes visible when you cross yourself.  It's a statement of marriage.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »

My mom wears a wedding ring on both fingers too.  On the left so people know she is married over here, and on her right since in North-Eastern Italy, some follow the Austrian RC practice of wearing it on your right finger as well.  My Nona does too.  Well, she wears her wedding ring on her right and my Nono's (memory eternal) ring on her left finger.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »

Does anyone know if it's true that when a priest is ordained, he removes his wedding ring because his first commitment is to Christ? 

That would be quite redundant, since when a person gets married their first commitment is to Christ, and they put rings on.  Christ is always priority #1 (not to sound like a car commercial - Quality is Job 1), whether single or married, ordained or not ordained.  So no, the reason isn't because all of a sudden Christ is a higher priority than wife - He always was.  The reason is normally spelled out by the Spiritual Father in his counsel to the young priest, although I can tell you that most of the priests I know wear their rings.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
St. Christopher

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »

My wife and I wear our original bands from our left hands.  When our marriage was blessed, our priest put a new set of rings on our left hands.  We're married in our society and in Orthodoxy.
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 01:45:18 AM »

I bet the jewelry stores love that!  Cheesy

Yep, we do! Grin

When I was in Turkey, I put my signet ring on my left hand so people knew I was available...Wink

Generally now, I wear a pinky ring, so it really doesn't matter which hand. Out of convience, I wear it on my left hand because I write with my right hand. That way, it doesn't get scuffed up...Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:47:58 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »

Funny story, and I think I may embarrass myself by saying this: I used to wear a ring on my right ring finger, but a couple of months ago I stopped wearing it, as I didn't want to make people think I am married (taken) when I am single.  Embarrassed

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »

Funny story, and I think I may embarrass myself by saying this: I used to wear a ring on my right ring finger, but a couple of months ago I stopped wearing it, as I didn't want to make people think I am married (taken) when I am single.  Embarrassed

If the ring looked like a wedding band than you certainly did the right thing.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »

Wouldn't that depend on who you're around? I mean it could be a great way to get rid of that stalker/person who won't leave you alone.  Grin  police   At least, thats what I'd do....

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »

Wouldn't that depend on who you're around? I mean it could be a great way to get rid of that stalker/person who won't leave you alone.  Grin  police   At least, thats what I'd do....

-Nick

Amen!  Though that only seems to encourage some of the weirdos...

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

Amen!  Though that only seems to encourage some of the weirdos...

Tell me about it! Wink

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
rayoncena

Faith: god
Jurisdiction: europe

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 08:41:40 AM »

According to different cultures and customs the wedding ring ceremony also changes. At some churches the ring is worn in right hand and in some at left hand. I think the reason behind right one is that the nerves directly touches your heart so that love between you and your husband remains forever.

Tags: marriage wedding rings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: